Sign in to follow this  
Lickster

Channels Missing

Quick query though I think it may have something to do with the 15/11 switchover. Some of my channels are unavailable and I get the "dense cloud/weather" message (on a clear, sunny day).

Channels not working include Sky News, Box Office, V and Fox 8 for a while.

Any ideas why this might be happening - anyone else with the same problem ?

Quick query though I think it may have something to do with the 15/11 switchover. Some of my channels are unavailable and I get the "dense cloud/weather" message (on a clear, sunny day).

I've been getting that message sometimes lately when the crap box seems to fail when I delete something from my planner. I exit the Planner when it freezes and find maybe half the channels don't work. Sometimes the "weather" message is displayed, sometimes just a black screen. Can be free to air and/or pay channels. A reset gets it all going again and I can also then delete the same program from the planner.

I've been getting that message sometimes lately when the crap box seems to fail when I delete something from my planner. I exit the Planner when it freezes and find maybe half the channels don't work. Sometimes the "weather" message is displayed, sometimes just a black screen. Can be free to air and/or pay channels. A reset gets it all going again and I can also then delete the same program from the planner.

I've done the reset a couple of times to no avail. Not panicking yet, but I will if it is still like this after 15/11.

I've done the reset a couple of times to no avail. Not panicking yet, but I will if it is still like this after 15/11.

*bump*

Well I have all the new channels good enough, but still getting the "weather" message for several others.

111, Eurosport News, Sky News, APAC, Fashion TV are a couple that get this message. Can't get Box Office either, though it works if I press the Box Office button.

Reconnected, reset, pulled out the card - none of it works. I have a standard box.

Might have to ring customer service - yew !

it's possiable that your single strength is too low for some channels.

Since we cut down some trees near our house every timeit rains we lose most channels with that message.

I'm putting a new roof on soon and have to take the dish off and replace it in a different spot. Does anybody know the best why to get it pointed at the right satellite?

Since we cut down some trees near our house every timeit rains we lose most channels with that message.

I'm putting a new roof on soon and have to take the dish off and replace it in a different spot. Does anybody know the best why to get it pointed at the right satellite?

Hi All,

Does anyone know what constitutes a good signal strength? When i reboot my box, it indicates a signal strength of 77db. Should it/could it be higher? I generally get reasonable reception, but it doesnt take much to knock a number of channels out. Is it as simple as rotating the LNB slightly to affect the db strength?

Cgeers,

G

=== RF ORIENTED PROBLEMS ===

Sky News is on 12688MHz and is a TP on C1.

Box Office Preview is on 12638MHz and is a TP on C1.

V is on 12598MHz and that is a TP on C1.

Fox8 is on 12558MHz and that is a TP on C1.

From what I can see, the L band frequencies on your cable for all of the channels you mentioned to have problems with are between 1858MHz and 1988MHz (assuming you have a 10700MHz LNB). This is the highest end of the frequency range on the horizontal pole. Usually, higher levels of attenuation occur at the higher end of frequencies on the cable (physics thing) or interference. There is no one killer fix, a combination of the following may be the cause. Here are a few checks you can make:

1. Ensure you are using compression connectors on all your cable runs. Using the right f-type connectors makes a big difference in managing attenuation at the higher ends of the frequency band. The old hex style crimps are poor performing.

2. Ensure the cable used is RG6 quad shield.

3. Ensure the f-type female to f-type female connectors are rated at 3GHz. Many of the barrel connectors sold in shops are only rated at baseband for FTA between 5-950MHz.

4. If you have an amplifier in a distribution system, ensure the signal level and signal quality on the input to the amplifier is below the maximum input levels. The power levels in the cable of all existing transponders including these higher frequency transponders may go up as high as 3-5dB, causing the amplifier to saturate the output with high signal levels but poor signal quality output.

5. If you are diplexing FTA together with the horizontal pole, check what frequencies are being received on the FTA. If some of the UHF frequencies are close to the 800 or 900 range, and the signal levels on the FTA are significantly higher than that of satellite, you may be experiencing some intermodulation (FTA frequency x 2 = a value within the Sat range causing 'interference' to the sat signal).

6. Check the frequency range of all the splitters and diplexors being used. Even though the highest transponder frequency only reaches 2008MHz, many of the max 2050MHz splitters, diplexors and taps used in the field can perform poorly in the higher end of the scale.

7. If you know what the signal levels were at the installation, compare and perhaps re-align the satellite dish. I once went to a location and the LNB arm was bent - this caused the poor signal level/quality

8. Cross pole the LNB. Sharp LNB's (those approved by Austar), the cable connected to the LNB should point to around 7 or 8pm when facing the front of the dish. Here, turning the LNB will affect the signal quality, less so the signal strength because vertical centre frequencies are offset by 8MHz and transponder.

9. If you're not using a multiswitch, the LNB may not be switching poles according to the voltage 13V / 18V

10. If you have a single output LNB on your dish and you're using a splitter to split the signal to the two LNB inputs, then all vertical pole channels will display "E52 weather message" if you're doing two things at the same time (recording and watching another satellite channel). Get a multiswitch and plug the cable to the horizontal only. There aren't to omany channels on vertical anyway, however it doesn't give you the intermittent "its there, its not there" situation.

11. There is such a thing as having too much signal. Anything above 80dBuV into a multiswitch and 90-100dBuV going into the Austar decoder can also cause pixellisation or worst black screen or E52 weather error message to appear.

=== Some Facts ===

Minimum tuner signal level input to many of the Austar decoders is 40dBuV (+/- 10-15% tolerance from tuner to tuner)

Minimum tuner signal quality input to many of the Austar decoders is a CNR or 6 or 7dB (+/- 10-15% tolerance from tuner to tuner)

D3 transponder signal power is 3dB than expected and is 3dB higher in power than C1 transponders. This is expected since it is a new satellite and will fade down to spec over the years.

The smaller the dish, the sooner you will get the weather error message when it rains. The bigger, the harder it has to rain to make that message appear.

=== Some Signal Level Suggestions (my opinions) ===

Minimum working signal requirements of 60dBuv signal level and 10dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

Good working signal requirements of 70dBuV signal level and 13dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

Excellent working signal requirements of 80dBuV and above and >15dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

and this is measured at the satellite dish. More than 80dBuV at a multiswitch or amplifier can cause more problems.

Varying factors to signal level and quality at the dish are:

* size of dish,

* whether the dish is matched with the LNB,

* prime focus v's offset,

* mesh v's solid,

* oval orientation of the dish,

* LNB arm / strut arm accuracy

=== DECODER ORIENTED PROBLEMS ===

I've noticed that on some Mystar decoders, the E52 error message appears and stays on screen overnight saying that I don't have signal at 12305MHz. Not sure why because alot of the time I leave my HD Mystar on other frequencies and when I launch EPG or Planner and go back out, picture reappears. This has lead me to think that it has something to do with the EPG999 message that appears at 2am every morning. Now remember, look for the frequency in the E52 error message. If it says 12305MHz at the bottom of that message, you are seeing the same thing as me. If not, post what frequency appears on your E52 error message.

=== DISH ALIGNMENT SUGGESTIONS ===

a. I live close to Sydney. The best way to point a satellite dish is to:

i. Ensure your mount is installed so its almost vertical

ii. A Hills dish needs to have its azymuth (elevation) set to approx 70 degrees.... a Jonsa or Autosat equivalent dish set at 50 degrees (for Sydney). Less azymuth degress the further south you live, the more degrees the further north you live. (Provided your mount is almost vertical)

iii. As mentioned earlier, a Sharp LNB (single or dual) the f-type outputs need to point around the 7 or 8pm mark when facing the front of the dish

iv. Then when you mount the dish, all you need to care about is the left and right bit.

v. Once you get a signal, you will need to tweak all three (left right, up down then cross pole in that order) to get your maximum signal level and signal quality.

From what I can see, the L band frequencies on your cable for all of the channels you mentioned to have problems with are between 1858MHz and 1988MHz (assuming you have a 10700MHz LNB). This is the highest end of the frequency range on the horizontal pole. Usually, higher levels of attenuation occur at the higher end of frequencies on the cable (physics thing) or interference. There is no one killer fix, a combination of the following may be the cause. Here are a few checks you can make:

1. Ensure you are using compression connectors on all your cable runs. Using the right f-type connectors makes a big difference in managing attenuation at the higher ends of the frequency band. The old hex style crimps are poor performing.

3. Ensure the f-type female to f-type female connectors are rated at 3GHz. Many of the barrel connectors sold in shops are only rated at baseband for FTA between 5-950MHz.

4. If you have an amplifier in a distribution system, ensure the signal level and signal quality on the input to the amplifier is below the maximum input levels. The power levels in the cable of all existing transponders including these higher frequency transponders may go up as high as 3-5dB, causing the amplifier to saturate the output with high signal levels but poor signal quality output.

5. If you are diplexing FTA together with the horizontal pole, check what frequencies are being received on the FTA. If some of the UHF frequencies are close to the 800 or 900 range, and the signal levels on the FTA are significantly higher than that of satellite, you may be experiencing some intermodulation (FTA frequency x 2 = a value within the Sat range causing 'interference' to the sat signal).

6. Check the frequency range of all the splitters and diplexors being used. Even though the highest transponder frequency only reaches 2008MHz, many of the max 2050MHz splitters, diplexors and taps used in the field can perform poorly in the higher end of the scale.

7. If you know what the signal levels were at the installation, compare and perhaps re-align the satellite dish. I once went to a location and the LNB arm was bent - this caused the poor signal level/quality

8. Cross pole the LNB. Sharp LNB's (those approved by Austar), the cable connected to the LNB should point to around 7 or 8pm when facing the front of the dish. Here, turning the LNB will affect the signal quality, less so the signal strength because vertical centre frequencies are offset by 8MHz and transponder.

9. If you're not using a multiswitch, the LNB may not be switching poles according to the voltage 13V / 18V

10. If you have a single output LNB on your dish and you're using a splitter to split the signal to the two LNB inputs, then all vertical pole channels will display "E52 weather message" if you're doing two things at the same time (recording and watching another satellite channel). Get a multiswitch and plug the cable to the horizontal only. There aren't to omany channels on vertical anyway, however it doesn't give you the intermittent "its there, its not there" situation.

11. There is such a thing as having too much signal. Anything above 80dBuV into a multiswitch and 90-100dBuV going into the Austar decoder can also cause pixellisation or worst black screen or E52 weather error message to appear.

=== Some Facts ===

Minimum tuner signal level input to many of the Austar decoders is 40dBuV (+/- 10-15% tolerance from tuner to tuner)

Minimum tuner signal quality input to many of the Austar decoders is a CNR or 6 or 7dB (+/- 10-15% tolerance from tuner to tuner)

D3 transponder signal power is 3dB than expected and is 3dB higher in power than C1 transponders. This is expected since it is a new satellite and will fade down to spec over the years.

The smaller the dish, the sooner you will get the weather error message when it rains. The bigger, the harder it has to rain to make that message appear.

Minimum working signal requirements of 60dBuv signal level and 10dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

Good working signal requirements of 70dBuV signal level and 13dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

Excellent working signal requirements of 80dBuV and above and >15dB CNR (varies slightly from transponder to transponder)

and this is measured at the satellite dish. More than 80dBuV at a multiswitch or amplifier can cause more problems.

* size of dish,

* mesh v's solid,

I've noticed that on some Mystar decoders, the E52 error message appears and stays on screen overnight saying that I don't have signal at 12305MHz. Not sure why because alot of the time I leave my HD Mystar on other frequencies and when I launch EPG or Planner and go back out, picture reappears. This has lead me to think that it has something to do with the EPG999 message that appears at 2am every morning. Now remember, look for the frequency in the E52 error message. If it says 12305MHz at the bottom of that message, you are seeing the same thing as me. If not, post what frequency appears on your E52 error message.

ii. A Hills dish needs to have its azymuth (elevation) set to approx 70 degrees.... a Jonsa or Autosat equivalent dish set at 50 degrees (for Sydney). Less azymuth degress the further south you live, the more degrees the further north you live. (Provided your mount is almost vertical)

iii. As mentioned earlier, a Sharp LNB (single or dual) the f-type outputs need to point around the 7 or 8pm mark when facing the front of the dish

iv. Then when you mount the dish, all you need to care about is the left and right bit.

v. Once you get a signal, you will need to tweak all three (left right, up down then cross pole in that order) to get your maximum signal level and signal quality.

Hi Chappas,

I have a guy at work who was discussing an issue with receiving channels on Austar since the recent channel rollout.

The box is the SD Flinders one. All going fine until 15/11. He gets reception on some new channels that he never had before, he also doesn't receive some channels he used to get, and he gets some menus visible on both old and new channels, but cannot view them. Some weird stuff. For example, he can get Fox 8, but not Fox 8+2. Can't get PlayHouse Disney any more either.

His package is basically everything accept adult, Greek etc.

So the status of channels he now cannot see (new & old) is:

CH Ch Name Error Code

113 13th Street E38

119 How to E38

120 Lifestyle You E38

122 The Style network E38

140 O.W.G E38

150 Fox 8+2 E38

151 TV1+2 E38

152 Fox classics+2 E38

153 Comedy+2 E38

154 Arena+2 E38

155 W2 E38

156 UKTV+2 E38

157 Lifestyle+2 E38

158 Lifetyle Food+2 E52 (Cloud)

160 Lifestyle You+2 E38

161 Hits+2 E38

165 SciFi +2 E38

402 Showtime 2 E38

404 Showcase 2 E38

406 Show action E38

407 Show Comedy E38

408 Show Drama E38

412 Movie 2 E38

413 FMC E38

415 Starpics 1 E38

416 Starpics 2 E38

500 O.W.G E38

511 Eurosport E38

522 Raceday Recap E38

614 Discovery +2 E52

634 Disco Turbo Max E38

635 Turbo Max+2 E52

646 Discovery Travel E38

709 Playhouse Disney E38

718 Kids Co E38

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by bigkingfish

Hi Chappas,

I have a guy at work who was discussing an issue with receiving channels on Austar since the recent channel rollout.

The box is the SD Flinders one. All going fine until 15/11. He gets reception on some new channels that he never had before, he also doesn't receive some channels he used to get, and he gets some menus visible on both old and new channels, but cannot view them. Some weird stuff. For example, he can get Fox 8, but not Fox 8+2. Can't get PlayHouse Disney any more either.

His package is basically everything accept adult, Greek etc.

So the status of channels he now cannot see (new & old) is:

CH Ch Name Error Code

113 13th Street E38

119 How to E38

120 Lifestyle You E38

122 The Style network E38

140 O.W.G E38

150 Fox 8+2 E38

151 TV1+2 E38

152 Fox classics+2 E38

153 Comedy+2 E38

154 Arena+2 E38

155 W2 E38

156 UKTV+2 E38

157 Lifestyle+2 E38

158 Lifetyle Food+2 E52 (Cloud)

160 Lifestyle You+2 E38

161 Hits+2 E38

165 SciFi +2 E38

402 Showtime 2 E38

404 Showcase 2 E38

406 Show action E38

407 Show Comedy E38

408 Show Drama E38

412 Movie 2 E38

413 FMC E38

415 Starpics 1 E38

416 Starpics 2 E38

500 O.W.G E38

511 Eurosport E38

522 Raceday Recap E38

614 Discovery +2 E52

634 Disco Turbo Max E38

635 Turbo Max+2 E52

646 Discovery Travel E38

709 Playhouse Disney E38

718 Kids Co E38

Any thoughts you may have are appreciated.

Cheers.

Not sure what to say at this stage. E52 means it cannot find the transponder (no signal or not enough), E38 means something different.

Is the box frequency set to use an 11300 LNB. An e37/38 indicates this. Check to see what LNB Lo frequency your using and if it 11300 request austar to change it to a 10700.

Is the box frequency set to use an 11300 LNB. An e37/38 indicates this. Check to see what LNB Lo frequency your using and if it 11300 request austar to change it to a 10700.

Yes, it is apparently set to 11300. He tried the 10700 setting on the box in 'setup', but it wouldn't find anything. I have let him know about the Lnb frequency change, I guess you are saying to change the existing LnB itself with a 10700 one.

Cheers.

=== Some Facts ===

* size of dish,

* mesh v's solid,

Thanks for that info - I'll go through it when I print it off !!

All of it sounds feasible, though I can't understand why it just "happened" without any change in wiring, equipment etc.

Yes, it is apparently set to 11300. He tried the 10700 setting on the box in 'setup', but it wouldn't find anything. I have let him know about the Lnb frequency change, I guess you are saying to change the existing LnB itself with a 10700 one.

Cheers.

Guys,

The Lnb was changed from an 11300 to a 10700. It did the trick, all channels are back.

Cheers!

Guys,

The Lnb was changed from an 11300 to a 10700. It did the trick, all channels are back.

Cheers!

... and that was one thing i didn't put in my suggestions list because I assumed that you had the right LNB to begin with :-) d'uh. oh well.

Quite often I get the FREE TO AIR local channels missing. I have to keep rebooting until they're working, or even working properly!!! :angry2:

I tried the frequency change but when I did it couldn't scan any channels so I changed it back.

I do have a signal splitter in the roof so I can take the box to another room now and then. I might try removing that and see if a direct line makes a difference.

Did note that although I can't see the Box Office or Sky News channels, the interactive on both works.

I dont seem to have 7two or ABC3 on my local lineup on the mystar HD. Does anyone else not have these? Seems quite odd that they arent there. Let me know if there is an easy fix. Have turned off at power point and waited, then turned it back on and it rescans all channels. Only other thing i may try is factory reset to defaults.???

Edited by mobsta

Have a look on 723,ABC3 showed up there for me a couple of days ago,there was a post on here saying 7TWO is apparently getting assigned a channel in the new year....

Go to www.dishpointer.com select satellite from drop down menu [optus C1 etc] and enter your address. Dishpointer will tell you which direction it should face.

Guys,

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip, just went away for the weekend and some channels weren't working. I've now changed the LNB and tried it and the channels are all working. Thanx again

KevO

My problem is solved - all I needed to do was change a connector in the roof !