Iq2, S-video Junk (white Dashes) In The Overscan Region.

Just wondering whether anyone else is experiencing the same annoyance I am.

I have an IQ2 (upgraded from an IQ1).

I use HDMI mainly (for the HD content).

Occasionally I will record (SD quality) with a Panasonic DVD recorder (via S-video).

I notice that the recordings (when viewed on a PC with no overscan) now contain a series of white dashes (2-pixels high) on the top part of the picture (overscan usually masks this).

The following picture highlights the issue:

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/dennisb555/...017079216246690

Click the "Full screen" link.

See the white dashes.

This most definitely did not occur with my IQ1.

Damn annoying!

Is there anything I can do about this?

Is it inherit with the IQ2?

Will a replacement IQ2 change this?

Note, you need overscan disabled to notice this.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Dennis.

This happens with the original IQ as well, so probably normal.

No, not the case on my original IQ, it was dash free.

That's why I immediately noticed that the IQ2 was very different.

I wonder if it's a box to box type thing.

Dennis.

The white dashes are completely normal.

White dashes are some sort of broadcast markers and they shouldn't be visible. I only see them when I use the IQ2 to scale the image, when I use passthrough they dissappear as the TV upscales the image. Perfect fit everytime. I am aslo making sure my TV 'overscan' feature is switched off.

No, not the case on my original IQ, it was dash free.

That's why I immediately noticed that the IQ2 was very different.

I wonder if it's a box to box type thing.

Dennis.

It happens as well when I use my DVD player and I switch off overscan on the TV. I am pretty sure the dashes are normal.

It happens as well when I use my DVD player and I switch off overscan on the TV. I am pretty sure the dashes are normal.

Ok, I guess it is normal for the IQ2 to put in those dashes via the standard definition connectors (S-video, composite). Sigh :( Double Sigh :( :(

Note, these dashes are not there with HDMI (when I disable overscan on my TV).

These dashes were not there with my IQ1 box (via S-video).

They are plain annoying when I view my recordings (DVD-Recorder clips) on a PC (as evidenced by the screen grab I posted). Why can't they be black dashes (i.e not visible). Crap!!

Dennis.

White dashes are some sort of broadcast markers and they shouldn't be visible. I only see them when I use the IQ2 to scale the image, when I use passthrough they dissappear as the TV upscales the image. Perfect fit everytime. I am aslo making sure my TV 'overscan' feature is switched off.

When you talk of scaling and passthrough you are talking about transmission via HDMI.

With my IQ2+HDMI (when doing auto-scaling to 1080i in the IQ2) I do not see the dashes (with my TV overscan disabled).

The dashes (for me) are only displayed when using SD connectors (S-video, composite) and the TV overscan disabled.

Though, I will now toy with IQ2 HDMI pass-through to see if it magically fixes the dashes annoyance via S-video (doubtful).

Thanks for the info,

Dennis.

Ok, I guess it is normal for the IQ2 to put in those dashes via the standard definition connectors (S-video, composite). Sigh :( Double Sigh :( :(

Note, these dashes are not there with HDMI (when I disable overscan on my TV).

These dashes were not there with my IQ1 box (via S-video).

They are plain annoying when I view my recordings (DVD-Recorder clips) on a PC (as evidenced by the screen grab I posted). Why can't they be black dashes (i.e not visible). Crap!!

Dennis.

you can always post-process and crop the overscanned part of the image out...

This is normal its why even HD displays still overscan slightly. Just be grateful there hasn't been a shift in the picture down a few more lines then you would be seeing VITC and captioning blocks which move a heck of a lot more then the static dots your seeing now.

you can always post-process and crop the overscanned part of the image out...

I could, but it's not worth it (time, effort wise).

What I do is I dump the DVD-Recorder MPG2 file(s) straight onto my NAS (from a DVD-RAM disk via my PC).

I then sometimes view those *.mpg files on my PC or via my WDTV (connected back to my Plasma).

It will just need to be the case that Plasma viewing will need overscan on (for these files).

PC viewing will be a case of "live with it". It seems most of the media players do not have an "overscan-On" feature (that would also help me).

Conversely, I wish I could tell the Panasonic DVD recorder to "ignore the overscan region" (but I can't).

Anyway, thanks for all the info guys.

Dennis.