Sign in to follow this  
Cricket

Pioneer 50" Or Pana 58"

Hi All

I am considering getting a new TV. I have narrowed down my choices to either Pioneer C509 50" or Panasonic 58v. I will wall mount the TV and sit approx 3.5m from the screen in a non bright room. What would you recommend not using price as a factor - is it better buying a great 50" screen (Pioneer according to other posts) or get a larger 58" screen (Panasonic 58V). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

58" screen for me.

I have a 50 at that distance and would love it to be bigger.

Hi All

I am considering getting a new TV. I have narrowed down my choices to either Pioneer C509 50" or Panasonic 58v. I will wall mount the TV and sit approx 3.5m from the screen in a non bright room. What would you recommend not using price as a factor - is it better buying a great 50" screen (Pioneer according to other posts) or get a larger 58" screen (Panasonic 58V). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

If not using price as a factor then it's better to compare the 60" Kuro to the Pana 58" thats if you can source a 60" Kuro yes you have a problem in choosing but as Lyle said size does matter so sadly to say as a Kuro fan the 58" wins :(

cheers laurie

58" for sure at that distance. If you can stretch the budget a 63" or 65" would be better.

Edited by Owen

Guest EZYHD

+1 the 58 for sure.

Theres a PDP60MXE20CLPACK for 4k at the pioneer clearence center if your interested.

Yup to 63 or 65" if poss. I sit about 2.5m from my 88" pj screen and its brilliant.

Yep, my viewing distance is 3.5m as well, and even when 58" fit into my budget I was still iffy about that size at that distance. 50" is definitely too small though, IMO.

In fact I would say that with 50" at 3.5m you may as well not even go Full HD, because you probably can't pick the difference in resolution anyway.

My other suggestion would be to rearrange your room so the sofa is a metre closer to the telly ;)

I would sadly have to pass up the 50" Pio and recommend the bigger 58"

Size does make a big difference, and would certainly make up for any loss of Kuro!

I would sadly have to pass up the 50" Pio and recommend the bigger 58"

Size does make a big difference, and would certainly make up for any loss of Kuro!

+1 for the 58" dude, anything smaller is a waste of time and money. The only viable alternative at your viewing distance is a 60" 608LX if you can find one.

how big is big enough,??

remember when 68cm tv's were the big screens that most people had? Thats approx 27"

Now people "need" to have 60" TV's.

I dont think people will be satisfied until its as big as a house and they have to sit 20m from it to watch it

Just buy an old Drive in Movie theatre build a house on the parking lot and be done with it :P

Id hate to know what your eyesight is like focusing on a larger picture at a short distance for hours on end. How many of you guys wear glasses?

Oh and by theway i have a 50" Pioneer and sit 2.5M from it. Its large enough for me. when my eyesight goes i will get something bigger.

If the goal is to get a true cinematic experience i'll get a good projection set up

Edited by spalmills

I dont think people will be satisfied until its as big as a house and they have to sit 20m from it to watch it

Just buy an old Drive in Movie theatre build a house on the parking lot and be done with it :P

Nah, tried that, but the black levels weren't good enough, so I'm patiently waiting for the 60 foot plasma displays to hit the market :P

how big is big enough,??

remember when 68cm tv's were the big screens that most people had? Thats approx 27"

Now people "need" to have 60" TV's.

Id hate to know what your eyesight is like focusing on a larger picture at a short distance for hours on end. How many of you guys wear glasses?

Oh and by theway i have a 50" Pioneer and sit 2.5M from it. Its large enough for me. when my eyesight goes i will get something bigger.

If the goal is to get a true cinematic experience i'll get a good projection set up

Big is beautiful. Dude, back when 68cm tube CRTs were popular, so were projectors.

Big is beautiful. Dude, back when 68cm tube CRTs were popular, so were projectors.

yeah but images were crap then :P

Guest EZYHD
Yup to 63 or 65" if poss. I sit about 2.5m from my 88" pj screen and its brilliant.

Me too, sit 3.5m from my 92" PJ screen love it, mates do too, they wont go home!, bigger is better well we all know that (well some do) :D:rolleyes::D

Thank you to you all for your responses - much appreciated and helpful. I will take my wife with me over the weekend to look at TV's and try to convince her 58" is the way to go. From your replies the basic consensus was "Bigger is Better". The wall I want to mount the TV on I had decided could take a 50" to 58" (windows prevent me from going any bigger). Hopefully we can find some 58" to view in store and that our eyes will agree this is the way to go. Thanks again.

Me too, sit 3.5m from my 92" PJ screen love it, mates do too, they wont go home!, bigger is better well we all know that (well some do) :D:rolleyes::D

arent guys that buy BIG cars thought to be trying to compensate for something? Maybe its the same for TV's :lol:

The wall I want to mount the TV on I had decided could take a 50" to 58" (windows prevent me from going any bigger).

If it is the Pana 58V or S etc... make sure the mount keeps the panel between 6-7cm away from the wall as there are 4 fans at the top that need airflow. On the V10 it is thinner at the top/edges so it helps with the space between the wall and the back of the screen. Not sure about the other 58". Also with windows on each side, I guess you have blockout of some sort, like curtains etc...

arent guys that buy BIG cars thought to be trying to compensate for something? Maybe its the same for TV's :lol:

...no that small red sports cars ;)

Picture quality and prices allow us to "go bigger", so why not?