Panasonic Viera Tc-p50v10 50" Plasma Hdtv - Tips And Tricks Thread

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking that with so many people having recently bought the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50V10 50" Plasma HDTV

that a thread for tips and tricks might be useful ?

Nice one larry..

I've just spent the past hr looking through the AVS forum for comments and tips etc, but they have different settings and features from our V10s.

I have around 450 hrs up and I agree with others that the blacks appear to "bed in" with age, and together with the sweet greyscale/colour rendition, makes me very happy I decided to get this TV.

I'm tossing up whether to get this one ISF calibrated as I did with my "old" Hitachi or stick in a DVE/PixelProtector calibration dvd.

Looking forward to reading and contributing to this thread.

NB.. japcar I'm pretty happy with my BD60 ;)

Good thread!

I am getting mine delivered tomorrow. Are people just using THX mode for their normal viewing ?

My thoughts too. Mines still in a box, but I am hoping that the THX mode is good enough that I dont have to worry about callibration too much.

I am also curious. Has anyone tried the 24p "real cinema" (Or maybe called "smooth film" mode (essentially IFC for 24p). Im not expecting much from it as IFC seems to be universally derided, but as a V series only option I am interested in just how it might perform)

P.S. Glad this thread was started :winky:

Edited by BadBeachBoy

My thoughts too. Mines still in a box, but I am hoping that the THX mode is good enough that I dont have to worry about callibration too much.

I am also curious. Has anyone tried the 24p "real cinema" (Or maybe called "smooth film" mode (essentially IFC for 24p). Im not expecting much from it as IFC seems to be universally derided, but as a V series only option I am interested in just how it might perform)

P.S. Glad this thread was started :winky:

24p Smooth Film is much the same as IFC, except a little "smoother"! It's ok for animation & nature documentries, but not really any good for movies. In THX mode it's disabled anyway. THX mode out of the box is very, very sweet!

Cheers.

24p Smooth Film is much the same as IFC, except a little "smoother"! It's ok for animation & nature documentries, but not really any good for movies. In THX mode it's disabled anyway. THX mode out of the box is very, very sweet!

Cheers.

do these newer sets have to be run below 50 or half way for brightness nad contrast to avoid burn in?

do these newer sets have to be run below 50 or half way for brightness nad contrast to avoid burn in?

Burn in is pretty unlikely these days, as long as you don't crazy on the settings. Sticking to "normal" mode for DTV and "THX" mode for movies should be fine.

Ok, so my bro's interested in this model. Any reason why you guys chose this over the G. The only major differences I can see is that the V has PiP & 24p Real Cinema Playback, which isn't ideal I gather as THX is what you want.

Does the G have THX?

Ok, so my bro's interested in this model. Any reason why you guys chose this over the G. The only major differences I can see is that the V has PiP & 24p Real Cinema Playback, which isn't ideal I gather as THX is what you want.

Does the G have THX?

Ralfi,

I consider myself unbiased (but then Im sure everyone does :rolleyes: )

I purchased a V series after quite some research, but even now - though not regretting my decision - question if it really offers enough over the G.

I would say if it can be afforded without stretching for it, then it has "just" enough to justify it, for me at least. First, I read a lot about the relative complexities of calibration, but the V has a well respected out of the box THX mode (and being a film fan, and someone who would rather avoid too much faffing around, I am v appreciative of this).

Secondly, I think the V just looks a whole heap nicer.

Im sure some people have meatier reasons for their decisions, but we all have our own preferences. Realistically, if you dont mind a bit of calibration Im sure the picture on the G is also great (even though the THX picture alledgedly cant be achieved), and if looks arent an issue and you want to save a few bucks I reckon the G is just as good a purchase

Secondly, I think the V just looks a whole heap nicer.

:lol: After much research I decided on the V and negotiated a price on it but as I was driving to HN I had second thoughts. I changed my mind and decided I would get the G. I was adamant I would go for the cheaper G. However once I got the store I took one look at the V (design wise) and.....

Plus the G was only $300 cheaper.

^_^

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any issues with the V10's inbuilt tuner when you change the channel from a SD to HD channel, noise appears on the screen for a split second once the HD channel is locked in. Note that this noise does not appear when changing from a HD to an SD channel and also does not appear when IFC (Intellegent Frame Creation) is turned on.

Also checked this on the X, S and G series, and the problem is not evident.

This isn't the first mentioning of this effect. I hope it's not a defect. You'd expect THX mode to improve things right?

Funny you mentioned that. I do recall someone making reference to it.

Anyhow I watched fargo on it today on BR and colours looked very natural on THX.

Very film like image. Skin tones were very accurate.

Put on the Dark Knight and again looked spectacular with no hint of Yellow.

So it may be that yellow tint dissappears once movie is playing because no hint of it there..

Will give panasonic a call tomorrow. (not expecting miracles).

PS motion especially panning on 24p is silky smooth.

Edited by con219

So it may be that yellow tint dissappears once movie is playing because no hint of it there..

So when exactly does it appear if it's not there while watching movies? FTA TV? Games?

Is it obvious enough that it would be easy to pick up in a photo, & maybe posting it up here if so?

So when exactly does it appear if it's not there while watching movies? FTA TV? Games?

Is it obvious enough that it would be easy to pick up in a photo, & maybe posting it up here if so?

Nealy completed 50 hours of slide run in, and did a bit of viewing today. Movies are simply amazing, especially if they are the 1:85 ratio which fills the screen. Im using THX setting with brightness down a few notches, and sharpnes at 25.

Question for any gamers with this TV, which mode do you use? Do you use "Intelligent Frame Creation" to make it smoother? This is my first plasma from LCD and I'm a little worried when gaming as when you do very quick turns in say Call Of Duty, there appears to be quite a bit of motion blur. I've read about Phosper Trails which I doubt this is my problem as I don't see any particular colours like green, it seems just very blurry when compared to my Bravia 52" LCD.

I thought Plasma was far superior in regards to motion handling, and surely this would apply to gaming. Any thoughts, I'm thinking maybe it needs to be run in over the 100hr mark???

Nealy completed 50 hours of slide run in, and did a bit of viewing today. Movies are simply amazing, especially if they are the 1:85 ratio which fills the screen. Im using THX setting with brightness down a few notches, and sharpnes at 25.

Question for any gamers with this TV, which mode do you use? Do you use "Intelligent Frame Creation" to make it smoother? This is my first plasma from LCD and I'm a little worried when gaming as when you do very quick turns in say Call Of Duty, there appears to be quite a bit of motion blur. I've read about Phosper Trails which I doubt this is my problem as I don't see any particular colours like green, it seems just very blurry when compared to my Bravia 52" LCD.

I thought Plasma was far superior in regards to motion handling, and surely this would apply to gaming. Any thoughts, I'm thinking maybe it needs to be run in over the 100hr mark???

I've just been playing 360 on Cinema mode with the contrast turned down to about 40. Haven't really noticed any phospher trails or motion blur as yet. Haven't checked any differences with IFC yet but will see if I notice any changes when playing tonight

The tint is very light. It has been explained that this is more like an "off white" which is typical of correctly calibrated sets.

This is what we are seeing.

Best way to see how yellowish the tint is - have THX mode on when you fire up the Xbox 360 and look at the colour of the intro 'x circle' screen. It looks a weird yellowy-green rather than white to me. Doesn't really matter since I doubt most people would use THX mode for games anyhow

Doesn't really matter since I doubt most people would use THX mode for games anyhow

What so THX isn't a "one mode suits all" type thing? I'd rather not change settings on the TV - my current plasma looks decent enough with a customised "cinema" mode for everything..

I've just been playing 360 on Cinema mode with the contrast turned down to about 40. Haven't really noticed any phospher trails or motion blur as yet. Haven't checked any differences with IFC yet but will see if I notice any changes when playing tonight

Just fired up the V10 for the first time yesterday (despite having had it a week) especially to watch the last F1 round. Enjoyed it immensly.

Had a quick play with the IFC function. If I am honest I didnt see anything really significantly different, however I found the picture to be pretty smooth anyway.

Also, I was curious, does this "over the airwaves" firmware update really work? What version firmware do you guys have???

Oh.. and one more question if I may. Is it possible to see/display the resolution of a channel being received (720p / 1080i etc)

Edited by BadBeachBoy

Really impressed with the TV. Currently using THX for HD content, Normal for Foxtel SD & Game for 360 gaming. I have pulled back the contrast and sharpness to the mid 30's, reduced the colour to about 45 and slightly reduced the brightness depending on the amount of light in the room. I'll play around with the settings further once I get my hours up (not going to bother running break in material).

Had a quick play with the IFC function. If I am honest I didnt see anything really significantly different, however I found the picture to be pretty smooth anyway.

Agreed.

Also, how to I access the service menu ?

Really impressed with the TV. Currently using THX for HD content, Normal for Foxtel SD & Game for 360 gaming. I have pulled back the contrast and sharpness to the mid 30's, reduced the colour to about 45 and slightly reduced the brightness depending on the amount of light in the room. I'll play around with the settings further once I get my hours up (not going to bother running break in material).

Agreed.

Also, how to I access the service menu ?

Well this is posted from another site, so I make no claims as to its validity or saftey...

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).

2. Press the {2} button on the remote 1 time, to go to SRV-TOOL.

3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear with the following information.

TD2Mictocode: 81c00011

Flash ROM: 1-227E

PTCT :00.00.00.00.00

4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.

5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.

The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.

6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.

The display will re-start by itself.

<<<< WARNING - WARNING - WARNING >>>>

The {VOL+} and {VOL -} buttons are used to change

values in the Service Menu. Make sure not to touch

those buttons anytime while checking the hours used.

Any chance of letting me know your firmware version??