Shopping Experiences

HN quote auburn only on their catalogues to appease the ACCC

ACCC came down on them because their stores never ticket as per advertised, and rarely have all the advertised models in stock or availble.

So their way of getting around it is to state the catalogue is for one major store in each state only. In NSW the catalogue mentions Auburn.

Then the other stores can do as they please - they dont even have to do the HN advertised price, or have any stock of a model. Its just a legal loop hole

ACCC should come down on them for that - or every store must have on top of it - "Jack & Jill Trading as HN" where the "JAck and Jill" is as big as the "HN" and the catalogue should have the name of the trader on the front - not just HN.

IT is a joke

And HN is a joke. Amazing what lots of marketing money does for your market share ect.

But..............How much money is wasted in their marketing because they probably loose more overall than what their dodgy marketing gains them in pissed off customers. Thats why people like JB, Bing Lee, and WOW are growing. People are sick of the HN crap, like having to pay for items at different counters.

YOu would think in this day and ago of computers they could just process a customers purchase and the computer can work out which franchisee gets the money and the credit for the sale..........but no, the have to inconvenience the customer.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the kind of dodgy practices HN keeps on getting away with, I'd say they're appeasing the ACCC in other ways too, like under-the-table handouts, free TVs and so on.

I was looking for Yamaha HTIB around Boxing Day last year. My local HN had already refused to honour his catalogue offer of $458. Dick Smith refused to go below RRP (openly flouting his price-match policy). JB was willing to come to the party but a couple of stores had no stock and no ETA. Bing Lee Skygarden (Pitt St, now closed) had a very good salesman on duty but he wasn't able to go below $482. By that time, even the catalogue was past its use-by date and a price hike of $100 was on the horizon from Yamaha. I made a photocopy of the catalogue page (claiming that I printed it off the Internet), took it to Myer George St and after 10 seconds of thinking, the guy did it for $458 ! From an expired catalogue !

JB Hi-Fi stores are very whimsical when it comes to price-matching. I wanted a USB key and there was a Sandisk model in the K-Mart catalogue for $10. I showed it to JB opposite the QVB. The counter staff said "we can do it" but the salesman blocked the deal saying "I will not let you walk out of here with that". JB Bondi said "Yes, we match but the store must be within the walls of this shopping centre so the K-Mart across the street does not count". JB Pitt St Mall looked at it, thought for a few minutes and then said "No worries, take it".

I've found that it is best not to mention these forums, online stores or anything of that nature when dealing with sales people if it can be helped. Most of them don't approve of the uploading of receipts - which is understandable. I've had a guy in JB get downright pissy when I mentioned forums once. I then heard him tell some other customers that you should never read forums about TVs because those people have no lives and make prices up!

And when it comes to other customers being told crap while you're within earshot, I know it's tempting to want to say something but no good can really come of it. You would just end up looking nosey. And let's be honest, there is a kind of perverse enjoyment watching a young kid demo-ing Monster cables to an unsuspecting couple who don't quite get what HD means and then seeing them take an $80 cable up to the counter. Am I right or am I just sick?

I don't agree with you. Last year I went to Clive Peters with a scanned receipt from this forum for a Pioneer DVD Recorder which was a few hundred dollars off at a price which had never been seen before. While they couldn't believe it, they did it. Whether they were upset or not, I couldn't care.

On the weekend, I just went with a print out of the forums of someone actually saying they got it at this price for this Plasma etc.... again it was a very good price, more than $900 less than the cheapest JB Hi Fi price. After he spoke to 3 people and got to the highest manager, he said it was $400 below cost but they would do it. He did whinge a bit in a nice way, and again when I went to pick it up the following day, but they did it and I'm happy.

Better in my pocket!

I don't agree with you. Last year I went to Clive Peters with a scanned receipt from this forum for a Pioneer DVD Recorder which was a few hundred dollars off at a price which had never been seen before. While they couldn't believe it, they did it. Whether they were upset or not, I couldn't care.

On the weekend, I just went with a print out of the forums of someone actually saying they got it at this price for this Plasma etc.... again it was a very good price, more than $900 less than the cheapest JB Hi Fi price. After he spoke to 3 people and got to the highest manager, he said it was $400 below cost but they would do it. He did whinge a bit in a nice way, and again when I went to pick it up the following day, but they did it and I'm happy.

Better in my pocket!

Not to doubt your story, but why would a retailer sell something to you at a price that was $400 below cost? Either they were lying or are completely stupid.

Not to doubt your story, but why would a retailer sell something to you at a price that was $400 below cost? Either they were lying or are completely stupid.

I don't understand either. I called 3 other stores and none of them would do it as they said it was below cost. But went into one and they eventually said they would do it!

Just over $3K for a Pioneer plasma I think is a pretty good price.

I would b very suspicious of salespersons (PC) and shops lowering their prices at the moment. The aussie dollar is very strong and imported goods are stating to reflect this. In fact, i would say there is a lag in passing the benefits on as the shops try to milk us for as much profit as possible.

My prediction is that over the next few months, prices will continue to fall and every other day, there will be a "new lowest" benchmark set for every model.

Once again tho, technology (and prices) will always improve and once u have bought ur device, just enjoy it and don't compare prices any further!

Prices are pretty competitive out there at the moment and the aussie dollars strength will take a little bit to pass through as stock has to be purchased at the lower price for it to be sold at the lower price.

Well I carefully plan my assault when purchasing a new electronic toy. I purchased my new Panasonic 50 inch on Saturday. Here is the general outline.

- Set Budget - $2000

- Research this forum and others to determine whats the best bang for buck around the $2000 - $3000 price range.

- Find out what prices people are getting here and overseas.

- Narrow down models to a shortlist - in this case the Panasonic 50 and the Samsung 50

- Read review after review after review on the models to soak up other experiences.

- Determine if there are any value adds now or coming up - in this case Samsun LCD tv and Panasonic PVR/blue ray theatre and camera

- Do some mid week reconnaisance - walk into a few stores and talk to a few sales guys, get the feel for what bull#^$@# they are willing to tell you and what prices they may offer just off the cuff. Also perhaps find a salesman you like and get him/her warmed up if they look like they might be able to do a good deal.

- I NEVER do a deal at this point as I find I sometimes miss out on a better deal somwhere else. This isnt the price negotiation phase yet.

- I always enjoy coming back to a salesman who recognizes me - makes them excited to think I might be sincere about buying a tv - gets them emotionally involved instead of me.

- Plan the attack route - ie consider multiple stores in which order to get the price you want.

- So I was ready - I decided on the Panasonic G10a 50 inch, I wanted it for $2000.

- Attack Plan - JB Hifi, Clive Peters, Harvey Norman, Good Guys, Myers, David Jones.

- I arrived at JB Hifi - smack on 9am when they opened, walked straight to the TV section, browsed around for 1 minute. Salesman 1 who I spoke to mid week was busy, Salesman 2 however, young guy, pounced immediately. I spared the bull!@#. Just told him I wanted to buy the Panasonic g10a 50 inch today for $2000 and I would back my car up and take it off their hands right now. Salesman was very polite and said he'd just check with his manager and he disappeared for 30 seconds. Then he was back - "not a problem he said". He filled out the card, gave it to me and I walked over to the counter and bought it. Time spent in store - 4 minutes 45 seconds.

- I backed up to the rear of the store and waited while the guy came out to deliver it to me. I drive a ford territory, so thought it would have plenty of room. WRONG!!. It won't fit standing up, its about 2 cm to tall. So went to lay it down - the storeman almost had a mild cardiac arrest. Said I couldn't do that, he has seen so many come back with cracked screens, said I should call a maxi cab or something. I really didn't think it was a big issue, but then he went and got the sales guy and they all came out looking very concerned. In the end I managed to squeeze it in upright, took a bit of the car roof with it, but it was jammed in there. Off home I drove.

- I was pretty impressed actually - they really were concerned and I really should heed their advice - thanks guys!. Anyway got home, set her up and its working perfectly. I actually cut the tv out of the box in the car rather than try and squeeze it out again. :)

JB HiFi Macgreggor Brisbane - top bunch of guys - They are always first on my planned attack route for all electronic goods.

cheers

BT

Must've needed the sale badly if they folded that quickly on $2000 for the G10A. Did the guy try to sell you anything else or did he just fill out his card and that was that? I hope not because if I was getting a new TV and the guy didn't even ask if I needed upgraded cabling, surge protection or extended warranty for my new TV he's not really interested in making sure I'm set up, it just means he's only interested in getting the quick dollars.

Well I carefully plan my assault when purchasing a new electronic toy. I purchased my new Panasonic 50 inch on Saturday. Here is the general outline.

- Set Budget - $2000

- Research this forum and others to determine whats the best bang for buck around the $2000 - $3000 price range.

- Find out what prices people are getting here and overseas.

- Narrow down models to a shortlist - in this case the Panasonic 50 and the Samsung 50

- Read review after review after review on the models to soak up other experiences.

--- SNIP ---

- I was pretty impressed actually - they really were concerned and I really should heed their advice - thanks guys!. Anyway got home, set her up and its working perfectly. I actually cut the tv out of the box in the car rather than try and squeeze it out again. :)

JB HiFi Macgreggor Brisbane - top bunch of guys - They are always first on my planned attack route for all electronic goods.

cheers

BT

That's pretty much been my plan from day 1. Only it didn't work out in the end for me.

I've been looking out for what I want and what prices are on offer. Finally found the TV I was after at the price I was prepared to pay, but it was before all the promo's started coming in. The very next week, it's gone up $350, I ask the lady (who by now knows me quite well) for the best price and noting that I saw it there just 1 wk ago for $350 less. After bringing the manager in as well and having a chat the best they would do was $200 off.

I told them I know people have paid even less including extended warranties and I was prepared to pay right now. They wouldn't budge so I left.

Only problem is I don't have the luxury of checking out 6 other places, only GoodGuys and Retravision - and neither of them were would do any better than the Harvey Norman price.

Either they don't need the sale, or know what their competitors limits are, or being regional they really do get screwed in their buy prices.

In the end, i'll give a week or two and do the rounds again.

I picked up my P50S on Saturday, the box just fitted into the rear passenger area of my FG G6ET (the saleman and I wiggled it in but there was room to spare), but when I got home there was NO WAY the box would come out again! So like you, we had to open the side of the box, get it out of the car like that, THEN bent the box to get that out...

Been looking for a month for a replacment for my old HD CRT, and decided to grab a LA46A950 LED backlit LCD before they dissapear...

I was at a JB on the weekend, where the staff are usually very helpful, and was looking at expensive screens for almost 15 mins, not even one "can I help you?". Anyway they only had the display model left and wanted $3200 for it... same screen on ebay new for $2995. Today I sent a quick fax from work (as I was busy) to the local Bing Lee enquiring whether they had any of these panels left. I went out for a few hours and when I returned I had two messages from a sales rep at Binga's. Before I even had a chance to call back he had called again, good start. He told me he could order a panel in for me (only 1 of 2 they have left) or I could look at the display model they had left there. Supposed to close at 5:30, so I said I'd do my best to get there. I arrived just after and this bloke reopened the store for me so I could look at the screen again, no confirmation of sale for him at this point. I offered $2750 for the new one, he agreed on $2800. He offered $200 on a 2 year extended warranty which I was sceptical of... I offered $100, he offered $160, we settled on a fairly normal $150 and threw in a $30 surge protector. All in all I have picked up a screen which retailed at $5499 when it came out last year with the 3 years from Samsung and 2 years extra from Binga's for less than $3000, which is the same price as the ebay retailer who had three left. I feel I have picked up a good deal as this is the screen I have wanted for a while, and was less in the end for a new one than a display model that has been used for almost a year. Picking up tomorrow or wednesday B) No one mentioned when we were talking of putting it in the back of a station wagon taxi that it needed to be upright, so I guess I may need a maxicab instead. Anyone who spends $3400 on one of the series 8 40inch LED edgelit models when you can get one of these 46 inch LED backlit for less should re-consider and try to find one of these.

JSmith :ninja:

My local bing lee has always done right by me, so I always go back.

JB hi-fi is only good for console bundles, they play really loud irritating music through out the store, so I've never been able to endure the wait for a sales person. I've seen plenty of rrp being advertised as "specials" too.

Prices are pretty competitive out there at the moment and the aussie dollars strength will take a little bit to pass through as stock has to be purchased at the lower price for it to be sold at the lower price.

Must've needed the sale badly if they folded that quickly on $2000 for the G10A. Did the guy try to sell you anything else or did he just fill out his card and that was that? I hope not because if I was getting a new TV and the guy didn't even ask if I needed upgraded cabling, surge protection or extended warranty for my new TV he's not really interested in making sure I'm set up, it just means he's only interested in getting the quick dollars.

Well its in the way I approached the sale. I know what I want and probably give them the impression I know what I am on about, so they don't pull the other crap out. I did say I'd need a HDMI cable for the blu ray HTIB I am getting free with it, so he went and picked the expensive belkin $150 1m cable. However as I led him by the nose hairs back to the cable stand and replaced that and picked the 2m $40 pack from the wall, he probably understood I wasn't to be bull#!@ed to. He did offer warranty - I said no straight away.

On the wholesale cost of these things. These stores work on revenue targets. So on any particular Saturday for example, the manager might set a goal of $100k revenue. Whatever it takes he sets his sales staff up to rake it in. Now during the day he will sell tv's at less than cost, probably many at more than cost and in the overall outcome, counting all the dvd's and other stuff they sell, they make a little profit. Its the overall revenue and profit that counts not individual sales. So you want to be one of the guys that gets the tv for less than cost. To do this, try going in at opening time on a Saturday or 30 minutes before closing time - your choice. I like the morning opening time - they always seem fresher and keen to help. Now this of course only works with stores that have a high turnover and lots of sales. Your smaller regional centres, just can't do it, every item they sell they have to make a profit. So when you plan your assault, pick stores you know are popular and have lots of stock.

Edit: I should also mention, at these high volume stores, the sales guys really are mainly interested in getting your dollar. Anything else like customer care is a bonus and if you want that - you'll need to go to a store that doesn't discount heavily.

Hope this helps anyone..

BT

Edited by BattleTweety

Purchased my Sony Z5500 46inch from HN yesterday, I marched up to the sales guy and asked him to price match for me, took him about 10 mins before he walked out and said the best he could do was $2568. I hesitated and was ready to leave, he then said "if you're willing to take one today, I'll give you $2500 then..." Didn't think he was particularly happy with the sale considering the price, plus this other salesman asked me "where did you get that price"? "how did you find it?" etc.

That's my 2 cent...

Just went over to Myer Belconnen and asked the drone there about the Samsung 32" LED. He said they don't make them in that size. After a little snicker I pointed out the fact that not less than 2 mins walk downstairs at JB they have them in full glory. He quickly snapped back with 'we don't sell them' and tuned away. OUCH!

Now I was SERIOUSLY contemplating spending $1500+ in their store right there and then. I was also thinking of getting some MYER shares that were offered to me as a MYER One member. Now I will be doing none of both! Just like to say thank you MYER and again you have left a foul taste in my mouth.

No wonder nobody shops there anymore.

Get a grip MYER and hire staff who are at least half interested in a sale for goodness sake!!

I'm off to purchase online yet again. Don't know why I bother with people at all! (I now know why they don't have a 'contact us' or feedback option on their website)

My well earned 2c !!

Just went over to Myer Belconnen and asked the drone there about the Samsung 32" LED. He said they don't make them in that size. After a little snicker I pointed out the fact that not less than 2 mins walk downstairs at JB they have them in full glory. He quickly snapped back with 'we don't sell them' and tuned away. OUCH!

Now I was SERIOUSLY contemplating spending $1500+ in their store right there and then. I was also thinking of getting some MYER shares that were offered to me as a MYER One member. Now I will be doing none of both! Just like to say thank you MYER and again you have left a foul taste in my mouth.

No wonder nobody shops there anymore.

Get a grip MYER and hire staff who are at least half interested in a sale for goodness sake!!

I'm off to purchase online yet again. Don't know why I bother with people at all! (I now know why they don't have a 'contact us' or feedback option on their website)

My well earned 2c !!

Yes you get those types now and again. Best not to get emotional, but be content in the fact that guy will NEVER get a sale from you or anyone else you tell the story to. I usually try to pick the senior sales guy out if I need to talk to someone and shoo the guys I don't want to talk to away. Remember, you have the power as the buyer, not them.

I hope one lousy guy from Myer doesn't put you off buying from people, you really can get the best deals from working up a relationship with the sales guy.

I don't rely on sales guys to educate me - that work I do myself through forums, google and other places of research. God help us if we relied on sales advice..The ONLY thing I need a sales guy for is to give me a great price on what I want. So with that in mind, lets look at which is the right sales guy.

I find there are different types of sales guys that fall into some main categories:

If I'm doing a reconnoiter pre-purchase, as I walk towards the electronic department, I'm scanning for salesman. I've usually spotted 2-3 sales guys in the area and do a quick check of their habits.

Young Male Groupies

You'll have the young guys standing around in a group chuckling to themselves, probably lying to themselves about last nights sex that they didn't really have or the really big home theatre system they plan to get. They will usually watch you as you come over, leave you alone for 5 minutes, even if you look at them, then one of them gets the courage to come over and ask if you need help. These are the juniors - don't really have a clue about home theatre, just there to get paid. They will tell you whatever you want to hear. They do whatever the manager tells them to do, which isn't giving big discounts. Usually avoid.

Arrogant know it all.

Thinks he knows it all, even when he's wrong he'll still tell you you're wrong, even if you produce evidence - he will have a witty line for it. This guy thinks he has you in the palm of his hand even as you walk out the door never to come back. These guys like to talk to you whilst eyeballing everyone that comes within 20 meters of where he is standing. Avoid at all costs - they will never give you a really good discount and you will only feel annoyed from the experience.

Mature guy - normally talking to customers

Usually listen in to what these guys are saying. If he is on the ball, wait in line to talk to him. Salesman in this industry are very shortlived, if you're still in it after a few years, you're obviously doing something right. If there are no customers around, these guys will usually give you about 5-10 minutes to browse the store before bothering you. Just a quick glance in their direction when you're ready will get them over to help. Usually look for these guys.

Store Geek

Usually a younger guy that doesn't fit into the Young Male Groupie clan because he knows an awful lot about the gear. So normally stands around waiting for customers. This guy can be very helpful and polite, but not many stores have one. Again though, takes his cue from the manager and may or may not give a good discount. Worth trying if no senior guys are around.

Manager

Usually not spotted on the floor and usually doesn't have in depth knowledge of product. Usually the toughest negotiator but also capable of giving the best deal. If you find him, get him in a headlock and don't let him go until he gives you what you want. Be ready to pull out all negotiating tactics for this one though. Not for the weak willed but the effort can be worth it.

The rest

Well everyone else is just there to be pleasant and helpful which is great if you're out for a Sunday afternoon browse, but not if you're in the hunt for a deal. Dont waste your time with the middle of the pack, shoo them away.

Of course this isn't a science, but I've been doing this for so long now, I can see patterns in the successes I've had. Of course there are always exceptions and don't take this as gospel but over a period of many years, I have honed this model to work for me. It may or may not work for others.. Much is reliant on the individual purchaser..

cheers

BT

Remember you only want the sales guy to give you the best deal, everything else you need to do yourself ie research, research, research.

What's the point of spending $1500-plus on a 32" LCD ? It's a waste of your well-earned 2c (plus $1500 plus !).

I agree that the Myer sales drone was useless but good staff members are hard to find these days. Some Gen Y people are least interested in work and show up only to earn enough cash to blow on booze, chicks and drugs in the evening.

They looked at my printout, checked the computer etc, then said "well we would need do that for 5% more as it's below our cost".

In my experience when asking about price matching my pet hate are those three most overused words: "below our cost".

I was in Myer at TTP SA on the weekend and was within earshot of a guy trying to get a price match on a deal his friend had got through a different outlet (didn't catch which one) on a Panasonic 50" V10 - it went something like this:

Customer: "I am wondering if you will match $x for this TV"

Sales Assistant: "Oh that must be for the next model down - I just sold one of those for that price"

C: "No, it's this one - I have a copy of my friend's receipt for that price including delivery"

SA: "We have a promotion on those at the moment - would you rather a free gift worth $1000 or a couple of hundred dollars off the price"

C: "No, I would rather you match the price thanks" - I'm guessing this guy must have been fully aware of the promotion details and didn't buy into the spin

SA: "Really, you wouldn't rather a free gift worth more than twice the price difference you're asking me to match?"

C: "No thanks, I already have that stuff - I'm just after the best price I can get for the TV alone"

SA: "OK, just let me speak to my manager because that's a very cheap price for this TV"

SA: [Returns from discussion with manager] "Will you be buying any extended warranty?"

C: "I may be interested if you can give me a good price for it"

After some haggling back and forth and no reduction on price for extended warranty because "we don't control those prices and can't extend discount" it came back to the base TV for negotiation.

SA: "The best price we can do is $x + some because your price is below our cost. Oh and I found out you can get the free gift anyway - even if you sell it or give it to a friend for Christmas that's a great deal"

C: "OK, thank you anyway but as I have a receipt proving that my friend got that price I think I will try another store"

SA: "Do you have the receipt"

C: [shows it to her]

SA: "How do I know it's for this TV? It doesn't even show what this receipt is for!"

C: "There it is there [reads the model number]"

SA: "Oh, OK then give me a minute I will show my manager"

SA: "OK, we will match that price but you pay for delivery and 1 year extended warranty"

C: "No thanks, I don't want the warranty at those prices and I want delivery included"

SA: [Moving behind the counter now toward the cash register] "OK we'll give you this price, no warranty but you pay for delivery" [Proceeds to enter it in the till]

C: "Excuse me, I said only if delivery is included"

Manager butts in: "I'm sorry we can't give you a price like that during a promotion it's way below our cost - you will have to pay for delivery"

C: "Thanks anyway but I will try another store"

Sorry for the long post but I got a bit of a chuckle from the whole banter plus how many things the sales assistant tried on through the negotiations and thought others might too.

It makes you wonder how many people get railroaded into deals because they're not used to negotiating in this manner or don't do the up front research.

Exactly. No store sells at a loss. No point being in business if that was the case. Most stores advertise in their small print that they will match a competitors price as long as it is not below their own cost price.

It's just a classic sales tactic where they are trying to make you feel special because they are doing you a big favour with the intent that you will remain loyal to their brand.

Exactly. No store sells at a loss. No point being in business if that was the case. Most stores advertise in their small print that they will match a competitors price as long as it is not below their own cost price.

It's just a classic sales tactic where they are trying to make you feel special because they are doing you a big favour with the intent that you will remain loyal to their brand.

Guys, when you're in business its about revenue and cash flow. Profit is just a weekly, monthly and annual performance measure. The more stock they turn over, the more cash flow they get - stop worrying about cost price, or stores saying its below cost price - its irrelevant to a large store (to a point of course). Its only relevant to a store that doesn't do much business and every sale counts - but why would you go them anyway because they sure won't give you as good a price as a large turnover store...At the end of the day its a case of how much pain they are willing to bear to get your cash and some of these guys can bear a lot of pain if you get them at the right time. There are plenty of other profit making items to get them their weekly targets - that one tv they wear pain on isn't going to hurt it very much. Pick your targets, time it right and go in hard.

BT

Edited by BattleTweety

I picked up my P50S on Saturday, the box just fitted into the rear passenger area of my FG G6ET (the saleman and I wiggled it in but there was room to spare), but when I got home there was NO WAY the box would come out again! So like you, we had to open the side of the box, get it out of the car like that, THEN bent the box to get that out...

Here's a question - I pick up my 50V10 tomorrow. Anyone know the dimensions of the box.

I have a Nissan Murano which is pretty big (I'm hoping !!)

I was in Myer at TTP SA on the weekend

Interesting... I've had personal experience with Myer TTP and in short I wouldn't bother going back there to waste my time. If you want to purchase through Myers go straight into the city store, they seem a lot more open to negotiation there.

My experience at Myers TTP related to a Pioneer LX508 and they couldn't even get close to the ticket price JB had on the same set in store just a few minutes away from them. Eventually got to the point where they simply admitted sorry but there's no way we can do that price because it's.... you guessed it.... "below our cost".

The best one of all though was at Radio Rentals TTP. I'm not a big fan of Radio Rentals at the best of times but occasionally you hear of someone pulling off a good deal there so thought I'd go in for a look. Anyway, they re-confirmed my expectations in spectacular fashion when I attempted to commence price negotiations on the LX508 (ticketed in store around $500 more than JB Hifi). The salesman sort of grunted and pointed to the ticket on the display LX508 and said quote "We don't just put these on our sets for show you know". Well, if I wanted to be insulted I can think of other ways to achieve this besides from a sales person who is supposed to be customer focussed so I politely thanked him and walked straight out. By the way I never got the LX508 because after the radio rentals experience I'd had enough of trying to buy TV's and couldn't be bothered for another couple of weeks by which time stocks of the LX508 had fairly much all dried up.

Most stores advertise in their small print that they will match a competitors price as long as it is not below their own cost price.

It just means that they can say "below cost" on any reasonable offer you bring to the table. It's amazing why the so-called consumer advocates like "Choice" don't say anything about this.

Dick Smith does not have "below cost" in their fine print but one guy refused to match a wireless router's price in the Sydney CBD store. Then there was the other DSE store where I wanted a prepaid phone. Target had 15% off so I showed him the catalogue. The store manager refused to match and said "buy it from Target" until I told him that "it's in your policy". He said "it's not my business to check if they have stock so even if you say that they do, I don't believe you". Finally, I pushed him into calling the nearest Target store and after a confirmation, the man VERY reluctantly sold it to me.

It just means that they can say "below cost" on any reasonable offer you bring to the table. It's amazing why the so-called consumer advocates like "Choice" don't say anything about this.

Dick Smith does not have "below cost" in their fine print but one guy refused to match a wireless router's price in the Sydney CBD store. Then there was the other DSE store where I wanted a prepaid phone. Target had 15% off so I showed him the catalogue. The store manager refused to match and said "buy it from Target" until I told him that "it's in your policy". He said "it's not my business to check if they have stock so even if you say that they do, I don't believe you". Finally, I pushed him into calling the nearest Target store and after a confirmation, the man VERY reluctantly sold it to me.

Ahh yes they get annoyed when you don't want to pay their listed price. Guess what? TOO BAD!! I worked far harder than they did to earn my $2000. So I'm sure as hell not going to part with it to someone who puts in 5 minutes of rude or insulting behaviour. I'd never buy from anyone I couldn't form a business relationship with or who was rude to me. There are too many good ones out there to put up with any bad ones.

BT

Some of the tactics used by the people on this forum when trying to buy a TV sound a tad aggressive so it's no wonder the salespeople get aggressive back. Sure, get the best deal but try not to be a prick about it unless they're the pricks first.

100% correcto mate. It infuriates me when I read on these forums about people going on about screwing the sales guy and basically telling them they are full of BS. I have negotiated extremely good prices for myself over many years and have never once been rude to a salesperson or had them get angry. I do my research on the internet, get an idea of a good price from these forums and go in knowing that I know what I want and waht i want it for. I explain it to the salesperson and they are usually quite accommodating. I explain to them that all I want from them is a good price. I want to make it as quick as possible so that they figure "well even if I make very little on this sale I have only spent 5 minutes with the guy so it's worth it". I am very polite and they in turn are polite also. Believe it or not I have actually become friends with some of these people! People are people guys, we are all the same. Yes they want to make money but they also have feelings. If they feel you are trying to screw them over or you come across as a prick then believe it or not some salespeople will deliberately forgo a sale just so you don't get any satisfaction. yes, they will deliberately lose money on you because they hate you!

A "good deal" ( whatever that means ) is one where both parties come away feeling satisfied. Both you and the salesman. And it is good for business in the future. And not just for the store. Treat THEM right from the start and you would be surprised how many layers of salesperson BS you can bypass when you go in the next time.