Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard

Panasonic Th-p65v10a 65" Plasma

Guys, unless you want a back row viewing experience out of your 65” you will need to sit less than about 3 meters from the screen, at 5 meters you are viewing from out in the foyer. :D

Next time you go to the cinema hold your hand out at arm’s length and measure off how many hand widths the screen is wide. When you get home do the same thing to your TV and you will see you need a bloody big screen for a 3 meters plus viewing distance.

I have done the above and sit 3 meters from a 70” screen, this puts me at least three quarters back in a typical cinema, a 65” would puts you in the back row at 3 meters.

The recommended THX viewing distance for a 65” is 2.3 meters, that’s like sitting mid cinema.

Edited by Owen

The recommended THX viewing distance for a 65” is 2.3 meters, that’s like sitting mid cinema.

That sounds great if the panel's in a dedicated home theatre setup and used purely for movies but what about sports, news and general TV viewing?

Not sure I'd want the THX experience when watching the news. :o:P

Wouldn't it be too in your face?

3 meters is fine for normal viewing, at 4 meters a 65” is not a big screen, even crappy content will look good.

Do you have a sketch or something you can share?

I am likely to go down the custom build path as well.

No, sorry I don't.

What I ordered was the "Yallingup" unit from the Perth Furniture Company.

It appears that they don't have a website.

There's nothing special about the configuration though. Double grey glass doors in the middle section, with an adjustable shelf. 3 drawers on either side of that, which are on nice runners that allow the entire depth of the drawers to be pulled out (no no dramas extracting the second row of DVDs).

Overall dimensions are 2000mm W x 700 H x 600 D. Has a plinth on the bottom, and castors (thankfully, because the thing is solid and moving it would be a **** otherwise. I feel sorry in advance for the delivery guys!)

I'll happily post a photo ... in a couple of months when I finally receive it :(

That sounds great if the panel's in a dedicated home theatre setup and used purely for movies but what about sports, news and general TV viewing?

Wouldn't it be too in your face?

Really great question!

I spent 35mins the other day watching the "old" model 65" from approx 2.5m on an angle to replicate the worst seating position I have.

Ok for drama and normal TV but was doing my head in for Sports (only options on ONE HD at the time were were baseball and soccer). Loved the quality of the picture but the cuts in/out to distance shots and close ins were what my head wasnt liking.

I can reconfigure this position @home to approx 3.3m and the best/normal spot is dead in front @approx 4.0m - in part because the plasma will set closer to the wall than my current RPTV and increase the distance a little as well as move the chair back a touch if necessary.

I am intending to go back and rewatch with these positions and see if the experience is more positive - Plan B will be the 58V10.

I spent 35mins the other day watching the "old" model 65" from approx 2.5m on an angle to replicate the worst seating position I have.

Ok for drama and normal TV but was doing my head in for Sports (only options on ONE HD at the time were were baseball and soccer). Loved the quality of the picture but the cuts in/out to distance shots and close ins were what my head wasnt liking.

I was envisaging that sports would be make me dizzy at 2.5 metres (our viewing distance) for this 65". Really interested but am unsure if it will be just slightly too big for normal viewing.

I can reconfigure this position @home to approx 3.3m and the best/normal spot is dead in front @approx 4.0m - in part because the plasma will set closer to the wall than my current RPTV and increase the distance a little as well as move the chair back a touch if necessary.

I am intending to go back and rewatch with these positions and see if the experience is more positive - Plan B will be the 58V10.

Let us know what you think.

One thing though - if you go ahead with the 58" V10 after coming from a 65" RPTV, not sure if that would be a great thing.

We went from a 52" RPTV down to a 46" LCD a couple of years ago. I've tried to convince myself that it was OK to lose the 6" (plus the panel's set further back obviously, not being as deep as the RPTV) but I was always kidding myself. :lol:

Thanks for your response.

My current RPTV is 47" and I was planning to jump to the 65" plasma but am now considering the 58" instead due to the above.

Really great question!

Let me know ASAP how you go with this. I sit at exactly 3.3m in front of the unit. I hope that this will be OK. I have been assured that it will be good. I watch lots of soccer so I hope that it will be fine. I dont really want to compromise & go with a 58".

Let me know ASAP how you go with this. I sit at exactly 3.3m in front of the unit. I hope that this will be OK. I have been assured that it will be good. I watch lots of soccer so I hope that it will be fine. I dont really want to compromise & go with a 58".

No probs - at the end of the day it is such a personal thing though.

Haha! The Tim Bailey weather report presented to you in THX! (Just what we all wanted!)

My main reason for not going that route though - silly as this may sound - is that at 3.5m viewing distance, mounting a flat tv on the wall puts the screen even further away. I'd rather have it that extra 30cm closer to me.

In my search for a wall mount, I found this which extends out a fair way, so you could use it to reduce your distance depending on what you're watching. It's a fairly expensive investment though, as you can see.

That's a pretty good price IMO especially when it's rated for 100kg and it's fully articulated

So from my reading it has a sub-field drive of 600Hz. What I am wanting to know is it's refresh rate ?

As I will be watching alot of Premier League soccer, my understanding is that the 100Hz refresh rate is significantly better then the sub field drive when it comes to watching Sport ?

Edited by robbiecau

In my search for a wall mount, I found this which extends out a fair way, so you could use it to reduce your distance depending on what you're watching. It's a fairly expensive investment though, as you can see.

Watch out for the total weight that exerts on the bracket and the wall post, since the total weight

is much higher when the bracket is fully extended than when it is retracted. From the 65V10 spec.,

this TV is 60Kg (without the stand), using this weight and the distance of the fully extend bracket

to calculate the total force that exerted on the bracket. Then calculate the force of 100Kg that

exerted on this bracket at its retract position. Finally compare the 2 values.

Personally, I am not comfortable to hang a 60Kg on a soft pine stud with this bracket at its

fully extend position. My rule of thumb is the allowable weight should be around 2/3 of the

max spec. weight. However, I 'm not the expert, so check with the suppplier before commit

to buy it.

I want to ask a question regarding HDMI cables. Basically I want to connect my BluRay to the AV Receiver using HDMI and my Receiver to the TV using HDMI. What sort of HDMI cables should I use. I can see that the prices of the HDMI cables vary a lot. Do the expensive ones really make big differences in picture quality and sound over the cheaper ones?

I want to ask a question regarding HDMI cables. Basically I want to connect my BluRay to the AV Receiver using HDMI and my Receiver to the TV using HDMI. What sort of HDMI cables should I use. I can see that the prices of the HDMI cables vary a lot. Do the expensive ones really make big differences in picture quality and sound over the cheaper ones?

Have a look at a popular thread here for EZYHD. I am not affiliatted in any Way but I have one of these cables and it seems to be as high a quality as you could need, for a good price. As I say, have a look at the thread and ask What you need to know.

HDMI is digital, a $20 cable will give identical picture and sound quality to a $200 cable.

If there are issues with the cable transferring data properly it will be very obvious.

HDMI is digital, a $20 cable will give identical picture and sound quality to a $200 cable.

If there are issues with the cable transferring data properly it will be very obvious.

Correct.

I bought a $50 HDMI cable from Game 2 years ago for my PS3. Worked fine on my 1080i 42" plasma.

Now I've got the 65" 850 and I tried to use this cable for 1080p. It was flickering like mad. Tried it with my XE-1 HD-DVD player. Same thing. Tried on the other HDMI ports it just got worse. Set it to 1080i it works fine.

I went and bought a $20 HDMI cable from Bunnings, set the output to 1080p24 and guess what, it works a treat on all HDMI inputs!!!

Thanks guys, you will save me money on the cables. So does it say on the cable whether it is 1080p compatible or not. I do not want to end up buying many $20 and $50 cables with problems and end up buying expensive ones.

Thanks guys, you will save me money on the cables. So does it say on the cable whether it is 1080p compatible or not. I do not want to end up buying many $20 and $50 cables with problems and end up buying expensive ones.

Just buy them from Bunnings and all will be ok.

Give Keith at EzyHD a go - you will be very satisfied with the quality, price and service.

IIRC, any cable that is HDMI v1.3 should be fine and possibly v1.2 might also be OK, but definitely v1.3 rated cable will be the best you can get

EDIT: Wow! I just jumped onto his website - it's been a while - and Jeez, he's expanded his range quite significantly!

Edited by diesel

Thanks guys, you will save me money on the cables.

Yeah i'm glad you got help this early too. For many, it was too late, $200+ later.....

The next time I need cables, i'm going to try this EzyHD mob everyone seems to rave about here.

From all the places i've called, none of them have any clue as to when this 65" monster's coming in...(just asked since I was curious as well).

Edited by Ralfi

So anyone spotted the V10 65" in any store yet? I might have to give HN a call to see when they will get it in.

Hi...

Has anyone in Perth got a good price pre-ordering the Th-p65v10a yet ?

I have just been to Retravision in Cannington .....they tell me they will receive them this coming Wednesday.

Best price I could get from them was $5750 though , they did however say that if I got a better price

in writing they would try to match it.

Hi...

Has anyone in Perth got a good price pre-ordering the Th-p65v10a yet ?

I have just been to Retravision in Cannington .....they tell me they will receive them this coming Wednesday.

Best price I could get from them was $5750 though , they did however say that if I got a better price

in writing they would try to match it.

Is that price for the TV alone or including delivery and exended warranty? If thats the price of TV alone then you should be able to do better. If you want an EW then try and get them to price match digitalcentre which have the 65V10A for $5693 (including a 5 yr warranty) plus shipping.