Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard

Panasonic Th-p65v10a 65" Plasma

I would have thought that all of the 'V' series would have been made in Japan. Where was the previous 65" model made? Regardless of where it is manufactured it is affordable & has had some really good reviews. I just wish that they would release it now! Has anyone seen a 58" setup in store in Adelaide?

I would have thought that all of the 'V' series would have been made in Japan. Where was the previous 65" model made? Regardless of where it is manufactured it is affordable & has had some really good reviews. I just wish that they would release it now! Has anyone seen a 58" setup in store in Adelaide?

It was made in Japan

I thought we had got past the “made in Japan” crap. :huh: Is anyone really not going to buy the 65” V10 just because it is manufactured in China? :o

If there are any viable alternatives, lets here about them. <_<

I forgot, there is the Japanese made 65VX100 for double the price, who’s up for one of them? :D

Edited by Owen

I forgot, there is the Japanese made 65VX100 for double the price, who’s up for one of them? :D

Me please! I'll take 2.

Nah, only joking. WHo cares if it's made in China? The Chinese will make it to the quality level that Panasonic are prepared to pay for. If the quality is low it's because Panasonic have chosen to cut costs where it matters - notbecause it's made in China.

I reckon once this plasma is in stores and people have it in there homes they are going to forget where its made and this panel will be the talk of the forum!!!

I reckon that the panel will speak for itself and will blow people away by its picture quality. I've got the current 65", TH-65PZ850A and i'm blown away by that. Hey I upgraded from the Viera 500A 42" to this 65" monster. Size does matter let me tell you. Of course you would have to have space in your place to place it in.

I think in Winter I will not need to use the heater.

The 65” is only an adolescent, when it grows up it will be a big strong 85”. :D

Edited by Owen

I've got the current 65", TH-65PZ850A and i'm blown away by that. Hey I upgraded from the Viera 500A 42" to this 65" monster. Size does matter let me tell you. Of course you would have to have space in your place to place it in.

well ..... I have the 50PX70A, and it uses a little over 500W I think. The 65V10A is about the same wattage, despite the increase in size, and the 58V10 is 80% of that! So, you might have to put on a jumper in winter if you are displacing an older plasma.

Benje

Finally jumped in and bought a 65v10A too. Managed to get Myers down to 5096 for the TV, 55 for delivery and 599 for extended 5 year warranty. Total was $5750.00

When will you get delivery of it or do they have it in stock? Great price. Ill see if HN match this price and see if I can put this on the Buyers Edge 24 months interest free.

When will you get delivery of it or do they have it in stock? Great price. Ill see if HN match this price and see if I can put this on the Buyers Edge 24 months interest free.

I was told delivery would be mid to late November. I'll be happy if it comes in that time frame but I expect that realistically it wont arrive until early/mid December... I hope they prove me wrong :D

No but I'll go one better. I have it set up at home here in Adelaide and it is superb

I am not sure where the rumour/fact has originated about where the 65 is made. I suspect it is made in Japan as per it's smaller sized brothers.

The 65 850 was made in Japan.

Edited by con219

I reckon once this plasma is in stores and people have it in there homes they are going to forget where its made and this panel will be the talk of the forum!!!

I reckon that the panel will speak for itself and will blow people away by its picture quality. I've got the current 65", TH-65PZ850A and i'm blown away by that. Hey I upgraded from the Viera 500A 42" to this 65" monster. Size does matter let me tell you. Of course you would have to have space in your place to place it in.

What is your viewing distance?

For context, (as viewing distance is a personal thing) where would you sit in a cinema - front, middle, back?

What is your viewing distance?

For context, (as viewing distance is a personal thing) where would you sit in a cinema - front, middle, back?

My viewing distance, if sitting directly in front is about 4-5 metres. It's in a room that is 5.8m long and 4 metres wide. If sitting on the side lounge then it is about 2-4 metres.

I am absolutely gobsmacked by the quality of the picture and of this unit.

This is the cabinet I have it sitting on: CABINET Looks pretty sleek.

Is that strong enough??? :o

So why do you think the expensive high end 65VX100 is still made in Japan if the cheaper P65V10A is now made in China? That is of course if the P65V10A is really made in China. This question hasn't been clearly answered yet.

I have no problem buying a good TV made in China because China is capable of producing good equipment. The point that I am making is that the country of manufacture does influence the final price of the product. It is difficult to judge whether the 5k+ is a good price or not without seeing the product.

Also if the 58" is made in Japan and the 65" is made in China then there is no guarantee that the 65" is identical to the 58" except for the size. May be the best is to wait and see, but this means that we may lose the bonus.

My viewing distance, if sitting directly in front is about 4-5 metres. It's in a room that is 5.8m long and 4 metres wide. If sitting on the side lounge then it is about 2-4 metres.

I am absolutely gobsmacked by the quality of the picture and of this unit.

Thanks for the response - are you a front, middle, back of the cinema type of viewer?

I have a similar sized room and seating layout and I am concerned that the 65" will be too big - I'm a middle to back type of cimema guy - definitely don't like being up the front!

Looks good, but I prefer a cabinet with a designated place for the center speaker. I am also not sure whether the drawers are good or not. I can do better with more shelves. Does any one recommend other cabinets for such a large TV.

Thanks for the response - are you a front, middle, back of the cinema type of viewer?

I have a similar sized room and seating layout and I am concerned that the 65" will be too big - I'm a middle to back type of cimema guy - definitely don't like being up the front!

I'm a middle to back in the cinema person.

If you can accommodate this size screen then why not. I have people come over and they are blown over when they see Blu-Ray on it. Man, I'm still blown away by it. Planet Earth, watched it on my 1024x768 plasma and watching it on this 65" is like watching it for the first time.

On the newer model of the 65" it should be even better.

Looks good, but I prefer a cabinet with a designated place for the center speaker. I am also not sure whether the drawers are good or not. I can do better with more shelves. Does any one recommend other cabinets for such a large TV.

I spent an entire weekend going through the furniture stores of Perth (Cannington, Osborne Park & Claremont) trying to find a good cabinet. Thought for sure that I would be able to get something for < $1k, but unfortunately none of the assemble-yourself stuff was quite right for me.

That Everett Worthington one above was one I looked at. My current cabinet is one of their actually. But I thought it was too small. Not just too small for a 65" tv, but too low overall (which 80% of them were, IMO) It was a pretty good value one for those that are happy with its size though.

Amazing how many of these entertainment units had silly, thoughtless shortcomings such as

- not being deep enough to fit a deep piece of gear inside it once all cables are plugged in

- drawers slightly too shallow to close with DVDs in them

- drawers too short to fit 2 rows of DVDs in them

- "double width" glass door section, obviously for the HT equipment, but not quite wide enough for 2 side-by-side components

Ended up spending over $3k :o on something that is made locally to order, and I won't get it until after Christmas :(

(very happy with it though ... perfect height, tonnes of storage, looks great, solid build in jarrah - so no worries about it taking the weight)

Edited by luuuc

It has a different look in some cases the model is a bit far from just modifying the frame.

Like silver strip, maybe customise that yourself :P

True.

The Centre speaker is an issue. But I have sorted it out temporarily by placing it behind the plasma facing upwards, sounds more or less the same. But may look at buying a stand to make it go above the plasma.

I didn't want to buy a stand that is to high as now it is high enough as it is.

--

Reason for the edit is that I spelt Centre with the American spelling.

Edited by Calciatore

Ended up spending over $3k :o on something that is made locally to order, and I won't get it until after Christmas :(

(very happy with it though ... perfect height, tonnes of storage, looks great, solid build in jarrah - so no worries about it taking the weight)

Sounds great, but expensive. Not expensive for a great TV though.

I am looking for a sub 1k cabinet. What is a perfect height for a 65" TV

Would look much better wall mounted

I am looking for a sub 1k cabinet. What is a perfect height for a 65" TV

That is a good question.

Most units seem to be in the 550-600mm high range.

You also need to take into account the height of your tv's stand, but in the case of the Panasonic V, it is very small.

My personal preference is not not be looking down so much - I'd prefer to be looking straight across, and up a little.

So for me, 700-750mm high was the sweet spot. (As a bonus, that also meant that it was tall enough for 3 pairs of drawers)

I think you'd really have to judge for yourself though. So many entertainment units are lower than I like, so I'm guessing that my taste is in the minority.

[ETA]

Would look much better wall mounted

Possibly. That always used to be my vision for an ideal system. Now I'm not so sure though.

My main reason for not going that route though - silly as this may sound - is that at 3.5m viewing distance, mounting a flat tv on the wall puts the screen even further away. I'd rather have it that extra 30cm closer to me.

Edited by luuuc

I spent an entire weekend going through the furniture stores of Perth (Cannington, Osborne Park & Claremont) trying to find a good cabinet. Thought for sure that I would be able to get something for < $1k, but unfortunately none of the assemble-yourself stuff was quite right for me.

That Everett Worthington one above was one I looked at. My current cabinet is one of their actually. But I thought it was too small. Not just too small for a 65" tv, but too low overall (which 80% of them were, IMO) It was a pretty good value one for those that are happy with its size though.

Amazing how many of these entertainment units had silly, thoughtless shortcomings such as

- not being deep enough to fit a deep piece of gear inside it once all cables are plugged in

- drawers slightly too shallow to close with DVDs in them

- drawers too short to fit 2 rows of DVDs in them

- "double width" glass door section, obviously for the HT equipment, but not quite wide enough for 2 side-by-side components

Do you have a sketch or something you can share?

I am likely to go down the custom build path as well.