Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard

Panasonic Th-p65v10a 65" Plasma

I don’t agree with that assessment, maybe you should learn to set the Samsung up properly.

I would take the Panasonic in preference to the 63” Samsung because of size and black level in a dark room, however the inferior screen filter on the Panasonic make it less desirable under significant ambient light.

People payed less than $4800 for the Panasonic months ago so $4800 is steep. Considering the AU dollar and overseas pricing it should be under $4k.

I think i might have a bit of an idea of how to set up panels considering i spent considerable time aligning broadcast cameras in a past life, not sure what the purpose of that comment is other than to try and have a dig and get a nibble, then preference is a subjective thing. We have a sammy in our showroom....because it was cheap and serves its purpose....but it is crap compared to the previous gen pany we had before....regret selling it.

The next gen of pana have a improved filter that reduces reflected light, however after owning a 58V10 for a good 9 months its just not an issue, and while I understand looking at your previous posts its a pet hate....give over and quit trolling....its a minor issue...and only then if there is something to reflect and so pertains to specific environments where there IS something to reflect. Also as soon as u introduce filters or coatings you loose in other ways. I have not yet seen the new pana but you can bet their technology is better than samsung

Your kidding your self about the the price. I just scrolled back about 20 pages and can find no evidence of this, maybe it is further back but there are always examples of saleman stupidity, I swear JB sell stuff at $100 (s) below cost every now again just hoping someone will post a docket to a forum so everyone runs into their nearest store....whatever we won't have any left soon so it will be moot..:P

****edit**** there is a new Pana promotion starts this Saturday with home theater and Avatar bluray.....

Edited by nsdn

Great to be back in town and catching up on this thread, doesn't seem like many models have made it to our shores though :unsure:

Does anyone know if one of these is on display anywhere in Melbourne?

Cheers,

Curious

I think i might have a bit of an idea of how to set up panels considering i spent considerable time aligning broadcast cameras in a past life, not sure what the purpose of that comment is other than to try and have a dig and get a nibble, then preference is a subjective thing. We have a sammy in our showroom....because it was cheap and serves its purpose....but it is crap compared to the previous gen pany we had before....regret selling it.

Ok, what exact settings did you use on the Samsungs? All the default settings suck.

The Samsungs can be calibrated for almost text book perfect colour, the previous gen panas are not even close and cannot be fixed.

The V10 was a significant improvement over the “previous gen” model but it was only close to accurate in THX mode which had limited light output making it only suited for a dim to dark room. The Samsungs do not have that limitation and can have accurate colour and high light output making them much more suitable for non dark rooms.

The next gen of pana have a improved filter that reduces reflected light, however after owning a 58V10 for a good 9 months its just not an issue, and while I understand looking at your previous posts its a pet hate....give over and quit trolling....its a minor issue...and only then if there is something to reflect and so pertains to specific environments where there IS something to reflect. Also as soon as u introduce filters or coatings you loose in other ways. I have not yet seen the new pana but you can bet their technology is better than Samsung

The screen “filter” I am refer to has nothing what so ever to do with addressing the mirror like reflections of the glass screen surface, the filters job is to maintain the black level of the panel by absorbing ambient light. A simple filter is a dark tint but that blocks the light of the panel getting out into the room just as much as it stops light from the room getting to the gray phosphor layer of the plasma panel. A high tech “filter” lets the light from the panel out but blocks or absorbs light from the room so that it does not illuminate the phosphor layer of the panel and degrade black level.

The best way to judge the effectiveness of the screen filter is look at the screen with the TV turned off under ambient light; if its good the screen should look jet black, darker than the black bezel that surrounds the screen. Good quality LCD’s have excellent screen filters and make even the best Plasmas look poor in comparison.

Panasonic plasma’s have always had very ineffective screen filters and have an obvious green-gray appearance under even modest ambient light. They are about equal to the bottom of the range Samsung B550, the mid range Sammy B650 was noticeable better. The filter on the top end B850 Sammy was in a different world entirely; it rivaled the Pioneer Kuro and gave the B850 MUCH better blacks and contrast under ambient light.

Anti reflective screen coatings are a different thing entirely, they are there to reduce the mirror like surface reflections inherent in a flat glass or plastic screen. They work with varying degree of success but because they diffuse light they impart a haze over the screen that noticeable degrades apparent blacks under ambient light and therefore degrade image quality. They should be avoided in favor of high gloss screens if picture quality is important.

Your kidding your self about the the price. I just scrolled back about 20 pages and can find no evidence of this, maybe it is further back but there are always examples of saleman stupidity, I swear JB sell stuff at $100 (s) below cost every now again just hoping someone will post a docket to a forum so everyone runs into their nearest store....whatever we won't have any left soon so it will be moot..:P

When the Chinese made V10 65” Panasonic was first released and there was stock available it was quite cheap, when stock dried up prices understandable increased as it became a sellers market.

Going buy overseas prices even $4000 is too much for what is a run out model, we are getting ripped.

Edited by Owen

Just on the Sammy v Panna discussion,

I spent months watching the prices fall on the G10's and V10's waiting to pick one up, when the time came, I went in to JB HiFi and spent some time with the salesman going over a V10 v B550 scenario, we tried a few side by sides and adjusted picture settings a number of times. I have to say under those conditions the Sammy provided a better picture for me, hence the 58B550 purchase. Now I have had it running at home for almost 1,000 hours and have it tweaked and user calibrated, I have absolutely no regrets, it is a fantastic TV in a light room or in a dimly lit room. It all comes down to personal preference. If anything, I wish I had held on for another six weeks or so, I could have picked up a 63B550......

BB

When the Chinese made V10 65” Panasonic was first released and there was stock available it was quite cheap, when stock dried up prices understandable increased as it became a sellers market.

Going buy overseas prices even $4000 is too much for what is a run out model, we are getting ripped.

Thanks for explaining screen filters and anti reflective coating. It clarified a few questions 4 me anyway.

Just one correction the v10 series was not Chinese made but Made in Jaoan.

Just one correction the v10 series was not Chinese made but Made in Jaoan.

I know that’s the case with the 50” V10 but is it true of the 65”?

I read in this thread that the new 65” was made in China but that could easily be wrong and I have never personally bothered to look as it’s not important, the design is either good or it’s not.

I know that’s the case with the 50” V10 but is it true of the 65”?

I read in this thread that the new 65” was made in China but that could easily be wrong and I have never personally bothered to look as it’s not important, the design is either good or it’s not.

The 65 and 58 v10 both made in Japan. I have owned both. Not sure re 2010 model as I am now a Samsung Convert :D

What you read was someone who was trying to stir the pot. Once Made in Japan was proven he seemed to disappear.

Edited by CC Rider

Ok, Just finished putting together a deal with some of the most helpful salespeople I have ever dealt with (and I've had some interesting experiences with some of the best and the worst salesmen in the last 25 years).

The folks down at JB Hifi in Southwharf, Melbourne (next to the new exhibition centre and Hilton Hotel) went out of their way to help me get the best deal possible on a spanking new (not demo) th-p65v10a including additional 4 year warranty.

I have agreed not to share the price online as they have now sold their last instore unit to me and cannot supply another at that price. Any more they sell will no-doubt have to be ordered and will attract a small increase due to any recent Aussie dollar value changes. But anyone who know's my love of negotiation will not be disappointed in the result ;) suffice to say I believe I could possibly be the newest record-holder for this thread B)

So if you are looking for excellent service from helpful staff that are grateful for your custom then get yourself down to JB Hifi in Southwharf and ask for Joel or Liam, these guys will do their absolute best to give you a price on any item instore that will meet any reasonable (and possibly cheeky) expectation :D

Cheers,

Curious

If you scored a low TV price, might it have been subsidised by a higher extended warranty price?

If you scored a low TV price, might it have been subsidised by a higher extended warranty price?

Nup, 4 years additional warranty (equivalent to Panasonic warranty - inhome repair/replace etc) just a little over $400 :)

Cheers,

Curious

$400 is steep for an extra 4 years warranty, the retailer is making money on that.

$400 is steep for an extra 4 years warranty, the retailer is making money on that.

Oh I get it...you're the latest iteration of "the glass is half empty" kinda guy :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting they gave me the warranty for free...of course they need to make SOME money on it, just not full mark-up thankyou :mellow:

...actually just checked back on a number of your posts here Owen - 'tedious' is a word that comes to mind.

Cheers,

Curious

Oh I get it...you're the latest iteration of "the glass is half empty" kinda guy :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting they gave me the warranty for free...of course they need to make SOME money on it, just not full mark-up thankyou :mellow:

...actually just checked back on a number of your posts here Owen - 'tedious' is a word that comes to mind.

Cheers,

Curious

curious congrats !

$400, or $100 a year for 4 years is a very small price or peace of mind of what is a significant investment. Soon forgotten mate. And I'm speaking here from experience in getting an even bigger and better replacement on extended warranty when ours went bust out of manufactuer warranty.

dont worry about the glass half empty types, just sit back and enjoy :)

Nup, 4 years additional warranty (equivalent to Panasonic warranty - inhome repair/replace etc) just a little over $400 :)

Cheers,

Curious

This set is not cheap to replace if the unthinkable should happen. Peace of mind is very cheap at $100/year or less than $2 per week for an additional 4 years after the 1 year manufacturers warranty expires.

Warranty price is good given Myer's warranty for the equivalent period is $600. The JB warranty is very good from my own personal experience..

As told in my pm you will love this beast. :)

Edited by CC Rider

Cheers,

Curious

If you want to suggest to forum members that $400 is a cheap price for a 4 year extended warranty on a sub $5000 TV so be it but you are not doing them any favours, and if my posts are “tedious” ( and I am sure some are) don’t read them.

As for my “glass half empty” attitude I am unapologetic about it. I wish there was a TV worth getting excited about but this year’s crop has little to offer over last year’s other than price and that’s disappointing in my view. Lack of competition and low prices seem to have been the death of quality products.

Edited by Owen

Actually I think $400 is pretty good for a 4 year warranty on a TV of that price, our local JB wanted $600 for a 4 year warranty on a $2200 TV 18 months ago. :o :o. Needless to say I went elsewhere.

curious congrats !

$400, or $100 a year for 4 years is a very small price or peace of mind of what is a significant investment. Soon forgotten mate. And I'm speaking here from experience in getting an even bigger and better replacement on extended warranty when ours went bust out of manufactuer warranty.

dont worry about the glass half empty types, just sit back and enjoy :)

Yeah, I think back to some of the exhorbitant prices paid for warranties and accessories in the past and this was a no-brainer. Cheap insurance for a product that could simply shut down a day after the first twelve months factory warranty is up ;)

Oh you know how it goes mate, there's always some bloke who's got a 'Seagull' approach to posting (swoops in and craps all over everything before swooping out again) I certainly won't let it impact my 65" viewing pleasure :wub:

Looking forward to opening up this monster package tonight when it arrives on my doorstep :P looks like I'll be PMing the usual suspects for another Red & Cigar afternoon session very soon :o^_^

$400 a year in home repair/replace very good imo.......

Thanks mate, the salesman called it a 'no lemon' warranty - I think if they can't work it out in-home then you get a new one B)

This set is not cheap to replace if the unthinkable should happen. Peace of mind is very cheap at $100/year or less than $2 per week for an additional 4 years after the 1 year manufacturers warranty expires.

Warranty price is good given Myer's warranty for the equivalent period is $600. The JB warranty is very good from my own personal experience..

As told in my pm you will love this beast. :)

Thanks CC, I consider extended warranty to be a necessary part of the purchase experience - also do the same for new cars, pump em out to six years - helps with the resale down the track too.

Interestingly, the warranty is supposed to mirror the Panasonic EW - except that one was $799 :o

Looking forward to sharing the 65" love ^_^

and if my posts are “tedious” ( and I am sure some are) don’t read them.

Good advice...consider it taken with all the grace and goodwill with which it was given ^_^

Stay beautiful,

Curious

Actually I think $400 is pretty good for a 4 year warranty on a TV of that price, our local JB wanted $600 for a 4 year warranty on a $2200 TV 18 months ago. :o :o. Needless to say I went elsewhere.

Yeah, I reckon once the salesman has written off most of the profit margin in the negotiated purchase price then picking up a small bonus in the EW is only fairplay - I read a line in a Bryce Courtenay book many years ago and it stuck in my mind as a good balancing tool when negotiating:

'always leave a little salt on the bread for the next man'

...for me that means you can walk in the door and do a deal with that very same salesman anytime in the future without feeling like he would rather you didn't show your face in the shop again 'cos the last deal was so skinny he wouldn't want to waste his time on you :)

Cheers,

Curious

Guest EZYHD

I only took 2years extra on my 65"Panny via Myer, can one buy extra 2years now that I have the set?.

My CC gives me 1 extra year manufacturers warranty on all electrical appliances, so 2 to start with, but Im not sure if it applies when buying 2 extra years Myer as I did, I don't think the Myer warranty starts 2years out?.

I only took 2years extra on my 65"Panny via Myer, can one buy extra 2years now that I have the set?.

My CC gives me 1 extra year manufacturers warranty on all electrical appliances, so 2 to start with, but Im not sure if it applies when buying 2 extra years Myer as I did, I don't think the Myer warranty starts 2years out?.

Good question, I have a similar set-up with my Visa card I think - but not sure when the additional warranty applies, probably just overlaps with the EW?

Interestlingy, I tried to claim on the Visa warranty once - but they are very good at finding a loophole to get out of paying. In my case I purchased two glass panels that were to be retro-fitted as doors to a custom entertainment unit. Even though they were not yet fitted when they got damaged the claim was refused on the grounds that they constituted a 'fitting' within the home <_<

Cheers,

Curious

+1

Here's the breakdown of the "United Electrical" extended warranty(or should I say Insurance?) policy that they sell. FYI, it's who Myer and DigitcalCentre use for their extended warranty(Insurance).

$0 - $1500 total 5 year = $299

$1501 - $3000 total 5 year = $369

$3001 - $6000 total 5 year = $449

So $400 is not too bad, of course the JB's dude is making a bit on that, but as has been said, leave the salt on the bread for the next guy.

Enjoy your TV Curious..

What's that up there?....Is that a seagull about to swoop? :D

Edited by Jayman7

Guest EZYHD
Good question, I have a similar set-up with my Visa card I think - but not sure when the additional warranty applies, probably just overlaps with the EW?

Cheers,

Curious

Yeah Curious, that's what I think it overlaps.

I took out 2 years thinking it would be 3 and i'll be on a bigger set by then! (well if you know me by now its probable) but now if its only 2 years might have to upgrade sooner rather than later!.

and real nice to Kazz back for a comment.

Edited by EZYHD

The most important thing in any purchase negotiation is knowing what the sellers bottom line is on both the product and the warranty. Forums like this can be of great assistance in establishing what the bottom line is at any given point in time if you read between the lines.

Yes there has to be a profit for the seller but many people overpay for warranties, and no matter how good a deal you thing you got you can rest assured the seller would not have done the deal if there was nothing in it for them.

I remember looking into this for a previous purchase and the CC warranty will kick in as soon as the manufacturer's ends, so it definitely overlaps if you have any other warranty and in most cases the presence of another warranty (past the manufacturer's normal one) voids the CC warranty.

+1

Here's the breakdown of the "United Electrical" extended warranty(or should I say Insurance?) policy that they sell. FYI, it's who Myer and DigitcalCentre use for their extended warranty(Insurance).

$0 - $1500 total 5 year = $299

$1501 - $3000 total 5 year = $369

$3001 - $6000 total 5 year = $449

So $400 is not too bad, of course the JB's dude is making a bit on that, but as has been said, leave the salt on the bread for the next guy.

Enjoy your TV Curious..

What's that up there?....Is that a seagull about to swoop? :D

Thanks for the breakdown Jayman, it helps to have a comparator for understanding these warranty deals.

I will enjoy my telly veeeery much :P

Yeah Curious, that's what I think it overlaps.

I took out 2 years thinking it would be 3 and i'll be on a bigger set by then! (well if you know me by now its probable) but now if its only 2 years might have to upgrade sooner rather than later!.

and real nice to Kazz back for a comment.

Knowing you the 'soon to be reality' Pana 80" will be gracing your wall :ninja::lol:

Lovely to hear from Kazz again!

The most important thing in any purchase negotiation is knowing what the sellers bottom line is on both the product and the warranty. Forums like this can be of great assistance in establishing what the bottom line is at any given point in time if you read between the lines.

Yes there has to be a profit for the seller but many people overpay for warranties, and no matter how good a deal you thing you got you can rest assured the seller would not have done the deal if there was nothing in it for them.

Good point Owen, I like to think that any negotiation I have that is off benefit to me still allows enough for the modern retailer to stick around and sell me something again in the future. Otherwise we'd all be on here sharing stories about our latest valve rotation for a 1950s era Ampilfier or Wireless radio :lol:

I remember looking into this for a previous purchase and the CC warranty will kick in as soon as the manufacturer's ends, so it definitely overlaps if you have any other warranty and in most cases the presence of another warranty (past the manufacturer's normal one) voids the CC warranty.

Thanks for clearing that up Mr P :)

Cheers,

Curious