Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard

Panasonic Th-p65v10a 65" Plasma

approx 175cm L x 16cm W x 41cm H

not sure that a screen coming out of this size box would have the right aspect ratio ... maybe 141cm H? :D:D

Guest EZYHD

Box size for 65"Panasonic was 400W x 1200H x 1730L

Box size for 65"Panasonic was 400W x 1200H x 1730L

thanks Foxtail.

I have a big story to tell about my panel purchase. I will post it after I get it home tomorrow.

not sure that a screen coming out of this size box would have the right aspect ratio ... maybe 141cm H? :D:D

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just reposting someone else's post.

Thanks for clearing it up Foxy :blush:

thanks Foxtail.

I have a big story to tell about my panel purchase. I will post it after I get it home tomorrow.

Please tell

There are some VERY high end and expensive products manufactured in China by Chinese companies under contract to western companies; quality is not a problem if you pay enough to have the job done right. If you want cheap you will get cheap.

And that's the problem. With Japanese made goods you only get one option and that is "Top Grade", Low Grade is not a concept that the Japanese understand.

Guest EZYHD

Was the biggest cardboard box I've seen, had to hold it up to get it in the lift.

Had it sitting in my lounge room for 4 days waiting for the wall installer man it was painful, but once done and on the pain all went away and has not returned as I watch this magnificent TV in all its glory.

I must say in all the kit I've owned like 4 Plasma/LCD TV's and 4 projectors this TV has me more excited than anything before it.

I must say in all the kit I've owned like 4 Plasma/LCD TV's and 4 projectors this TV has me more excited than anything before it.

I have the 58". I cannot think of an aspect that I am disappointed in, and some 'features' have exceeded my expectations. It has been about a 100 days of use, switching between FTA, Blu-Ray, DVD and SD (satellite) Foxtel.

I am not getting any complaints from my wife, although the 50" is generally sitting upstairs getting perhaps 2 hours use a week.

Note - I do not use the speakers on the 58" at all, ever. I do use the optical cable out, plus the SD card and the extra HDMI input. I feed video to the pana from my amp via HDMI. Life is simple, sometimes.

Benje

Guest EZYHD

I feed BR/Austar Pay TV/Beyongwiz STB direct into my receiver via HDMI then one HDMi to the Panny 65", sounds better for sure.

And that's the problem. With Japanese made goods you only get one option and that is "Top Grade", Low Grade is not a concept that the Japanese understand.

That concept is VERY outdated mate, a $200,000 Lexus is worlds apart from a $30,000 Toyota, you get what you pay for.

I am not aware of any “high end” TV’s made in Japan or elsewhere, they are ALL built down to a price not up to a “quality”.

With prices having dropped so dramatically over the last few years quality and innovation must suffer. Manufacturers could provide much better performing TV’s than we currently have but not enough people are prepared to pay what they would cost so manufacturers don’t bother with “high end” product.

That concept is VERY outdated mate, a $200,000 Lexus is worlds apart from a $30,000 Toyota, you get what you pay for.

Yes but they are both made in Japan The Lexus isnt made in China. And the Lexus is a prestige Toyota anyway.

The point the person was making is the "work ethic" in Japan is world's apart from that in China and in fact the rest of the world.

So workmanship will be of a higher standard.

Having owned both Jap and Chinese made products of the same brand the difference in finish is like dogs b#lls.

Edited by CC Rider

My friend placed his order with Myer in Xmas week (matching Foxy's sensational price) and got the call yesterday to say the ship is in and the plasma will be delivered on Tuesday. So anyone else who may have ordered around the same time, you may wish to contact your retailer to chase it up. The timing is good because he will also get the tv serial number for the free wii.

Do you have to screw the base in on this thing like other Pana plasmas or does it come pre-attached?

I will advise him to set contrast to a reasonable level for the first 150 hrs or so. Foxy, do you have any recommended settings?

Guest EZYHD
My friend placed his order with Myer in Xmas week (matching Foxy's sensational price) and got the call yesterday to say the ship is in and the plasma will be delivered on Tuesday. So anyone else who may have ordered around the same time, you may wish to contact your retailer to chase it up. The timing is good because he will also get the tv serial number for the free wii.

Do you have to screw the base in on this thing like other Pana plasmas or does it come pre-attached?

I will advise him to set contrast to a reasonable level for the first 150 hrs or so. Foxy, do you have any recommended settings?

No I only tweeked mine to make it brighter, out of the box setting look great to me other than that.

Yes but they are both made in Japan The Lexus isnt made in China. And the Lexus is a prestige Toyota anyway.

Yes Lexus is a division of Toyota but is the Toyota the same quality, definitely not, that’s why I disagree with the statement below as it is clearly a generalisation.

With Japanese made goods you only get one option and that is "Top Grade", Low Grade is not a concept that the Japanese understand.
The point the person was making is the "work ethic" in Japan is world's apart from that in China and in fact the rest of the world.

Yes “work ethic” is typically not the same; however modern electronics production facilities are highly automated. Do the Japanese made machines located in Panasonics Japanese run Chinese plant have a different “work ethic” to those located in Japan? Product design and production systems dominate product quality not the workers, if you design systems properly its hard for the workers to stuff things up.

Having owned both Jap and Chiese made products of the same brand the difference in finish is like dogs b#lls.

I very much doubt you have owned examples of the exact same product manufactured in different places. Comparing different products, even from the same brand is pointless, its apples to oranges.

If the “G” series Panasonics where made in Japan and the “V” series in China they would not look or perform any differentially to what they do now.

It’s a simple fact that many products made in China are made as cheaply as possible so they can be price competitive and profitable. Don’t blame the Chinese for low quality, blame the companies that contracted them and specified cheap products built to a price.

Consumers are getting the quality they pay for, the continued downward pressure on prices forces Japanese companies to cut costs in order to stay profitable, if this cost cutting results in lower quality product its the Japanese companies fault and by extension the consumers fault for demanding unreasonably low prices.

If the cost savings due to manufacture in China where used for higher quality components rather than lower consumer prices or greater profit margins the Chinese made products would be better than the Japanese made ones.

The Chinese can deliver any quality level required if they are paid appropriately. Quite a lot of really high end audio gear is made in China or used Chinese components because they can provide the highest quality for the lowest price. At the price levels I am talking about (many times the price of the 65” Panasonic) material quality and finish must be second to none. The manufactures that contract these Chinese suppliers never let on to their consumers that the item they just paid $30,000 for was mostly Chinese made.

Edited by Owen

Please tell

Well finally got it. Had to pick it up myself or wait another week for my retailer to get the unit out to my place.

Purchased on 18th november, picked up on 20th february. That's a joke.

I presented Foxtail's receipt asking for a price match and they wouldn't do it. Said that it was in another state so they don't match prices in other states(doesn't say this on their posters listing price promise). So I told her (the store manager) that they have had 20% off specials in the time that I have been waiting for my unit, so they must match that price. She reluctantly agreed. It was like getting blood from a stone. The attitude I got from the sales staff was disgusting and their customer service was utter rubbish. On top of this the clown who sold me the panel originally didn't list delivery on my invoice, so they were initally unwilling to refund that when I came to pick up the unit.

After being told repeatedly that the panel was coming, coming, coming only to find out that other retailers recieved their stock and mine did not I am not happy at all.

I'm thinking about going to head office about this. To top it all off my HD bonus item (I wanted the stereo and blu ray unit) is not available now, even though I selected it 2 days after purchasing the unit in february. Joke...

Watching planet earth now so not so pissed at the moment. if I don't get anywhere with head office I will name the company here. I am a long time consumer of their products and have spent many thousands in their stores.

It’s a simple fact that many products made in China are made as cheaply as possible so they can be price competitive and profitable. Don’t blame the Chinese for low quality, blame the companies that contracted them and specified cheap products built to a price.

^^^

That is exactly why I steer clear of Chinese made products. Thanks for agreeing with me

Owen

You buy Chinese or Korean if it pleases you.

I will always select the made in Japan product over China or Korean made.

My money my choice.

Edited by CC Rider

Well finally got it. Had to pick it up myself or wait another week for my retailer to get the unit out to my place.

Purchased on 18th november, picked up on 20th february. That's a joke.

I presented Foxtail's receipt asking for a price match and they wouldn't do it. Said that it was in another state so they don't match prices in other states(doesn't say this on their posters listing price promise). So I told her (the store manager) that they have had 20% off specials in the time that I have been waiting for my unit, so they must match that price. She reluctantly agreed. It was like getting blood from a stone. The attitude I got from the sales staff was disgusting and their customer service was utter rubbish. On top of this the clown who sold me the panel originally didn't list delivery on my invoice, so they were initally unwilling to refund that when I came to pick up the unit.

After being told repeatedly that the panel was coming, coming, coming only to find out that other retailers recieved their stock and mine did not I am not happy at all.

I'm thinking about going to head office about this. To top it all off my HD bonus item (I wanted the stereo and blu ray unit) is not available now, even though I selected it 2 days after purchasing the unit in february. Joke...

Watching planet earth now so not so pissed at the moment. if I don't get anywhere with head office I will name the company here. I am a long time consumer of their products and have spent many thousands in their stores.

Hi Mate

Gee you surely got the run around with that retailer.

Look at the positive though you have got your set while many people are still waiting for theirs.

Sorry Geese but i was expecting a more exciting story than that,you had us holding on for a day... ;)

Having owned both Jap and Chinese made products of the same brand the difference in finish is like dogs b#lls.

Exactly. In Japan specifications are adhered to, in China they are not. To throw the Lexus/Toyots thing back at him, Toyota parts may have a tolerance of +-20 microns and every single part made will fall within that range. Lexus parts might have a tolerance of +-5 microns (higher quality product, tighter tolerances) again, every single part will fall within that range. The same parts made in China will be alright for the first batch but after that the manufacture gets sloppy and the quality deteriotates unless someone is watching constantly to maintain the standard. The Japanese work ethic will not allow such deterioration to happen, in China it's almost a national sport to get away with as much cost cutting as possible. Greed Vs Pride.

I think you guys are missing the point. Tne Japanese companies still own and run the chinese factories and the saving they are getting is in the labour.

The Japanese work ethic will not allow such deterioration to happen, in China it's almost a national sport to get away with as much cost cutting as possible. Greed Vs Pride.

Two words:

Toyota Prius :P

Let's get back on topic, shall we guys? B)

EDIT: Btw, you do realise your Sony BDP-S350 is made in China, don't you? ;):D

Edited by Sabor

Guest EZYHD

A few tried to use my receipt, I only know of one that worked back 2 months ago, as the 65" is so popular the price is not possible.

Yes demand is far outstripping supply ATM

Maybe once the new models in the smaller sizes start to arrive, people will be looking at them instead and holding off for the new V25 series

A few tried to use my receipt, I only know of one that worked back 2 months ago, as the 65" is so popular the price is not possible.

Interesting you mentioned that.

Myer Adelaide have stop taking orders o he 65v10 as they already have 25 on backorder and at 4 per month this will mean that those on the end of the line have been told August 2010 looks likely.

Therefore I reckon Pana will go into production of the new 3d v series by then and cease the v10 altogether.

You buy Chinese or Korean if it pleases you.

I will always select the made in Japan product over China or Korean made.

My money my choice.

You can buy whatever you wish, its your choice. I base my purchase decisions on proven performance, not on country of manufacture. Of the last 3 HD TV’s I have purchased one was made in China, one Japan and one Malaysia.

Do you realise that Japanese made TV’s use imported sub assemblies and components so they are just Japanese assembled. It wont be long before you will not even be able to buy a Japanese assembled TV, what will you do then? :P

Whatever you buy and where ever it is made it will be built to a price. There are no top quality TV’s any more and likely never will be again, prices wont allow it.

Edited by Owen