Sign in to follow this  
Junkyard

Panasonic Th-p65v10a 65" Plasma

Guest EZYHD

Had box in basement garage on Sunday, the other unit owners all wanted to know who had the monster.

how about some talk on prices, or are these impossible to get now? if the wait is really April, wouldn't it be better to wait for the newer models?

Edited by cowabungadude

how about some talk on prices, or are these impossible to get now? if the wait is really April, wouldn't it be better to wait for the newer models?

Have been talking to salesman in Western Sydney between JB Hi-Fi and Goodguys between the region of $5350.00 - $5500.00

All are saying it's below cost. No word on April, though they do say 3-4 weeks.

Have been talking to salesman in Western Sydney between JB Hi-Fi and Goodguys between the region of $5350.00 - $5500.00

All are saying it's below cost. No word on April, though they do say 3-4 weeks.

I ordered one for a friend through Myer in the week of Xmas and they have a purchase order due at the end of this month. He will get his tv from this order we have been told. Each retailer would be different regarding their allocation, so to get some clarity about wait time I would contact Panasonic direct to ask which retailer the most units will be delivered to in the near future. Then check with that retailer to ask how many backorders they have.

Edited by xclusive_gamer

Guest EZYHD
I would contact Panasonic direct to ask which retailer the most units will be delivered to in the near future.

I tried that back in December got no definitive answer.

I tried that back in December got no definitive answer.

There is obvious deception going on here.

Panasonic know exactly how many units are been shipped and expected arrival plus the quantum of allocation per retail store.

Why people are not told anything can be debated

Interesting for those people who receive this set in February March is the actual date of Manufacture.

If sets arrive and this date is September through to November 2009 then someone needs a good kick up the behind.

I would expect the Manufactured date to be December 2009 and onwards.

Rumoured that Panasonic are going to increase the price of the 65v10. Therefore frustrating new sales will be beneficial to them in the long term.

Edited by CC Rider

......Rumoured that Panasonic are going to increase the price of the 65v10. Therefore frustrating new sales will be beneficial to them in the long term.

I would think this could only be detrimental for them. If I had known that I would wait almost three months for the set when I ordered last year I would not have ordered. Given 3D is coming and set delivery for a new order not likely before March/early April now I would have waited for the new samsung 3D sets due out that time instead.

Generally when most (99%) people decide they want a new TV they look in a few retailers and see what is available an they buy something that looks good to them in the showroom and won't wait more than a couple of weeks. Creating a supply shortage can only create a fall in sales and hence profits. If they were going to raise the price then they should just move that forwards.

Those that are likely to wait 2-3 months on backorder (or longer when waiting for a future release set) are pretty discerning buyers who want exactly the right set - have spent long hours researching their purchase on the net - and certainly would have come across and read on this forum - and serious buyers likely registered as members and posted to get specific information from others (given this is by far the best Australian forum on this topic). Us DTV Forum junkies represent the most discerning buyers (if I may say so myself.......). We spend weeks researching and agonising over black levels, colour accuracy, future proofing, calibration, signal purity etc etc (and probably are less happy with our purchases because we know exactly what compromises we have made and what better stuff is out there or coming soon!!!). However there are only 80,000 members of DTV forum and probably only 1 in 3 of those, or about 25000 would buy a TV in any one year. Out of about 2.5 million (see next sentence) that is only 1 in 100. (NB In 2000 22.5 million sets sold in the US so I assume about 1.5 million sold in australia at that time. With upgrade to digital and fall in plasma/LCD prices I expect that has doubled and is likely more like 2.5-3 million per year in Aust in the last few years).

This supply shortage is simply due to unprecedented demand for a quality Japanese-built set this size at this great price (compared to prior prices - though I expect we'll be getting 80 inch plus OLED/LASER sets at this price in two years time and they will be somewhat lighter and easier to mount than these 65 inch sets and a fraction of the weight of the current mammoth 80+ inch plasmas). Panasonic are all kitted out for producing millions of 50 inch sets per year but prior to the 65v10 (and I think the s10 comes in 65 elsewhere as well) demand was low for a $10K+ set so they just weren't able to produce enough glass panels that size. I haven't heard anything about increasing the price - there would be little justification given the $A is worth more against the Yen now than six months ago (when the current price was set) - other than the justification of panasonic wanting to make big profits by setting the price as high as possible while still selling all the sets they produce (which is only sound business sense).

Edited by koolkat

I. I haven't heard anything about increasing the price - there would be little justification given the $A is worth more against the Yen now than six months ago (when the current price was set) - other than the justification of panasonic wanting to make big profits by setting the price as high as possible while still selling all the sets they produce (which is only sound business sense).

Simple matter of Supply and Demand Micro Economics.

I know people who paid top dollar for the Display Model of this set.

Can't justify anything like that myself.

As far as purchasing a 3d 65 V series Pana I reckon they won't be selling those below $6.5k in the stores.

I would never purchase a 3d plasma anyway.

OLED would be the way to go.

Edited by CC Rider

"Simple matter of Supply and Demand Micro Economics."

That is what I was alluding to.

"As far as purchasing a 3d 65 V series Pana I reckon they won't be selling those below $6.5k in the stores.

I would never purchase a 3d plasma anyway.

OLED would be the way to go " .

That is how I justified my decision to stick with the 65v10 (in addition to avoiding a 12 month wait for the 65vt25)- for a fully immersive 3D you would want a really big set that takes up more of the visual field. This could be done by sitting 4 foot from the v10 though is likely to make any headache worse with the problem of converging eyes and apparent 3D - I was thinking 80 inches, or even better 100 inch. Possible but difficult with plasma with >120Kg screens but much more manageable with a 25Kg 80 inch OLED.

Edited by koolkat

That is how I justified my decision to stick with the 65v10 (in addition to avoiding a 12 month wait for the 65vt25)- for a fully immersive 3D you would want a really big set that takes up more of the visual field. This could be done by sitting 4 foot from the v10 though is likely to make any headache worse with the problem of converging eyes and apparent 3D - I was thinking 80 inches, or even better 100 inch. Possible but difficult with plasma with >120Kg screens but much more manageable with a 25Kg 80 inch OLED.

Or a 3d pj :D

Those waiting for the 65

There is still hope

http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/28/panasoni...asma-plant-yet/

Yes - definite hope for those waiting for a 65" ...

Check out the pics and a video on AV Watch of robotic arms pulling 150-inch glass panels into place

... because once those 150 inch sets make their way down here, I can think of at least one of those puny P65V10As that will be available ;)

[/daydream]

Hi All

new here and i am looking to buy one of these for my media room which is 6m long x 4m wide

mainly will be used for PS3 and TV but with a few DVD's played

it will be complemented with a surround sound as well

the people that have these TV's can you confirm that their as awesome as they sound and look ,

i am building the house now so this will be going into a brand new media room and i feel it will do the job :D

looking forward to reading more info on these TV's and owner's reports

Guest EZYHD

I've had 1 x 42' and 2 x 50" Plasmas and 4 projectors in the past some full HD, this 65" Panny had blown us, friends and all visitors away, love it, crystal clear pic, fab colours and bloody big!.

Here it is now wall mounted.

Edited by EZYHD

I've had 1 x 42' and 2 x 50" Plasmas and 4 projectors in the past some full HD, this 65" Panny had blown us, friends and all visitors away, love it, crystal clear pic, fab colours and bloody big!.

Hey foxy,

Does that panel on the front of your low line slide over your gear when not in use?

This sums up how special this set is.

For a respected member like Foxy to give this set such accolades speaks a thousand words

As a very satisfied and happy owner of the V10 I am still in awe how good SD TV looks.

Edited by CC Rider

Guest EZYHD
Hey foxy,

Does that panel on the front of your low line slide over your gear when not in use?

Yes it does slide, glass heavy on very strong roller system, in 2Pac white, bought from HN of all places!. 2 of my mates bought one each after seeing mine, one has my 50" Pio sitting on it. I paid a year ago $1350 now its about $2200.

As a happy owner of the V10 I am still in awe how good SD TV looks.

I was pretty impressed with the upscaling as well - panasonic has been sub-par in this area in the past (compared to Pioneer that is) but the upscaling is great now. It is hard to pick between the HD and corresponding SD channels most of the time - only really differentiated by, for example, the text on a distant sign or number plate being slightly easier to read on the HD channel.

Totally amazed by blu-ray. Even upscaled DVD content looks fantastic.

I Watched Star Trek on Blu-ray last night - just mindblowing when viewed from 7-8 feet away - even better than seeing it in the cinema.

Great tuner as well - pulls in stations with perfect reception that I couldn't even get on my set-top box and USB digital tuner.

Edited by koolkat

I was pretty impressed with the upscaling as well - panasonic has been sub-par in this area in the past (compared to Pioneer that is) but the upscaling is great now. It is hard to pick between the HD and corresponding SD channels most of the time - only really differentiated by, for example, the text on a distant sign or number plate being slightly easier to read on the HD channel.

I Watched Star Trek on Blu-ray last night - just mindblowing when viewed from 7-8 feet away - even better than seeing it in the cinema.

Great tuner as well - pulls in stations with perfect reception that I couldn't even get on my set-top box and USB digital tuner.

as someone who never uses a terrestrial tuner, I'm curious which does a better job of upscaling SD: the V10 via internal tuner or Foxtel IQ2 outputting at 1080i. does anyone have a V10 with this setup that can comment?

(we hardly ever watch SD FTA, and the antenna socket is nowhere near the AV gear, but I'm curious nonetheless.)

Watching the Butterfly effect on 7two. Looks like Hi Def.

Guest EZYHD

I watched some of Planet Earth in full HD via my Panny BD20 BR player on weekend, bloody awesome picture so much so thought I was in it!, was just so real, my wife and I are so happy with this mighty TV.

I have a 58" V10, not the 65". However, the following feature should apply to both units.

I run the audio from the TV through the amplifier. I never use the TV speakers. Recently, I hooked up my new laptop via HDMI (a 3m foxy cable!) as the laptop has an HDMI connection. Plugged into the HDMI4 connection on the side of the panasonic (yes, both the PC and the TV were off when I did the connection - no 'hot' HDMI connections here) for the sole purpose of doing some amazon.com. buying with the wife (SACD's). I was mightily surprised to hear audio coming through the speakers. I didn't expect the optical out to carry the audio signal from the HDMI input back out to the amplifier. I thought that it was only carrying the TV tuner audio.

It makes audio/video out of the PC and into the TV and the amplifier really simple, especially when the amp is remotely located.

Benje

I watched some of Planet Earth in full HD via my Panny BD20 BR player on weekend, bloody awesome picture so much so thought I was in it!, was just so real, my wife and I are so happy with this mighty TV.
Nothing like gratification to be sure you have made the right purchase. Looks like it was all for the better Foxy.
It makes audio/video out of the PC and into the TV and the amplifier really simple, especially when the amp is remotely located.
I've been doing this for over two years now. It is as simple as you say and works a treat. Edited by diesel

The 65” Panasonics have been around for over 3 years, I have been singing the praises of BIG screens for a lot longer and people thought I was mad, interesting how people’s opinions have changed since prices have dropped. :D

Edited by Owen

Guest EZYHD
Nothing like gratification to be sure you have made the right purchase. Looks like it was all for the better Foxy.

Hey Diesel, well its only been near 2 weeks its been up on the wall, but hell yes very gratified.

Friends called by yesterday wouldn't sit at my bar wanted to watch the bloody TV!.