Panasonic TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I'm also toying with whether to go the PZ800 or PX80 as we sit 4m back so less resolution is not a real issue for us. Here's my summary so far which may help..

PX PLUSES

- Less moolah

- Anti Reflective Coating

PX MINUSES

- No PC input (required for PC connection if no HDMI)

- No 24p support

I'm also toying with whether to go the PZ800 or PX80 as we sit 4m back so less resolution is not a real issue for us. Here's my summary so far which may help..

PX PLUSES

- Less moolah

PX MINUSES

- No 24p support

For a PC you use a DVI –HDMI cable, no need for a “PC” input which is VGA.

I just bought the 50PZ800A +4 year extended warranty from Clive Peters Burleigh Waters for $2500 flat.

Thanks very much to mcwayne1 for the above price - its fantastic. I tried other retailers and even other Clive Peeters (to try and save a 2 hour round trip) but no-one could get within $200 of their price! I should mention that I rang CP Burleigh Waters and sorted everything out over the phone (no "you have to come in at talk to us" BS) and I picked up the Pana at 5:15 Christmas Eve - 15 minutes before the Wii promotion finished. They must have a better wholesale/bonus contract setup than the Brisbane stores - worth a trip or phone call if you are after a new screen

I'm all excited now as I can take down a 2 year old 42" Hitachi from its wall mount and retire it to the rumpus room and let the 50" Pana take its place tomorrow - hopefully in time for another Aussie lower batting order rear guard attack!

I hope everyone had a good Christmas (I did!)

Bagathon

yes i must thank "mcwayne1" for the passing a copy of his receipt from Clive Peters! but i think the reason why CP was able to do such a price was mainly because there warranty charge is only $177.61 for extra 4 years. therefore they charged 2322.39 for the 50PZ800A, which is nothing special IMO. just wondering why people think stores like JB couldn't do anything on the price of extended warranty; or is it because they only offer extended warranty from panasonic, rather than a 3rd party company like CP do...

PX PLUSES

- Less moolah

PX MINUSES

- No 24p support

The PX80 has an anti-reflective coating?

just wondering why people think stores like JB couldn't do anything on the price of extended warranty; or is it because they only offer extended warranty from panasonic, rather than a 3rd party company like CP do...

JB use a third party fo their extended warranty as well. It's definitely negotiable!

They also have a"No Lemon" policy so if the itme needs to be repaired three times, you get a replacement.

PX PLUSES

- Less moolah

PX MINUSES

- No 24p support

I don't have a PX80 so I can't speak from personal experience, but on the Brochure/Spec sheet that can be downloaded on the Panasonica Australia website, it says that the PX80 can display 24P if the input source is 1080/24hz over HDMI.

Maybe someone who has one can add something to that.

Today went to 4 stores in Perth: Harvey Norman, Good Guys, Retravision, JB .

Looking for the best price on the 42TH-PX8A. Best price I could haggle was $1080 for TV and 5 yr extended warranty.

Overall happy, except I had to take the floor model as they were sold out. They were ticketed at $1196 at Harvey and $997 at JB. JB were also out of stock, but the warranty was about $200.

LCD's and Plasmas absolutely pouring out of the shops everywhere I went. Scare tactics or truth tactics seem to be paying off for the shops.

Happy shopping.

PX MINUSES

The PX's do have a PC input (VGA D-sub).

- No 24p support

Not true the PX's can do 24p natively.

The PX80 has an anti-reflective coating?

Yes.

Edited by pneu

PX PLUSES

- Less moolah

PX MINUSES

- No 24p support

Sorry dudes, I was incorrect (and indeed full of brown stuff) with some of my minuses :blink: as there is indeed an RGB PC connection on the PX80. The PX80 also does supports 24p, but not to the same extent as the PX800.

We looked at the PX80a, PZ80 & PZ800 in numerous stores in Adelaide and disregarding the resolution differences, the PZ800 & PZ80 definitely have a superior picture to our eyes. The 800 and PZ80 both have darker screens (when switched off, screens are noticebly darker) and hence they will have darker blacks.

Edited by funkybits

We looked at the PX80a, PZ80 & PZ800 in numerous stores in Adelaide and disregarding the resolution differences, the PZ800 & PZ80 definitely have a superior picture to our eyes. The 800 and PZ80 both have darker screens (when switched off, screens are noticebly darker) and hence they will have darker blacks.

Yes, but the 50PX80A is currently unbeatable value at JB for just $1496.

I picked one up today for a family member and it truly is an amazing purchase.

Can't believe how much cheaper these screens are than 3 yrs ago.

The 800 and PZ80 both have darker screens (when switched off, screens are noticebly darker) and hence they will have darker blacks.

That's the funniest thing I have read for a while :lol:

The PZ series are good screens, but I think the darker screen effect when the screens are off is due to the anti glare coating more than anything todo with black levels.

Howdy Diesel,

The PX80 and PZ80 both have anti reflective screens and the PZ80 screen is noticeably darker. The PZ80 (anti glare) and PZ800 (no anti glare) appear to have the same screen darkness when off, so accordingly the anti glare coating is not responsible for a difference in screen darkness. Panasonics native contrast specs of 1:15000 for the PX's compared to 1:30000 for the PZ's support that the contrast is superior on PZ.

In the CRT days, the way to establish the darkest black a TV could display was to switch the TV off. I assumed that Plasma would operate in the same manner (ie totally black image = pixel totally off). I also assume this test would not be applicable on LCD's due to their back lighting being on at all times. I'd be most interested to hear if I am full of brown stuff (hopefully not again this week :wacko: )

Cheers with Beers

Edited by funkybits

It's only the PZ series that can accept and display a 24p signal :unsure:

There was a topic on this a while back and the general agreement was that when running blu rays at 1080p24 on the PX models there is no judder and the speculation is that the refresh rate is 96hz.

I assumed that Plasma would operate in the same manner (ie totally black image = pixel totally off).

There is no plasma yet that can do true 0fl blacks (ie. pixel emitting no light for video black). The pioneers come pretty close but the current gen panasonics have been measured at around 0.0145fl. I've recently compared the black level of a 50PX80A to a 42PZ800A and I would say the PZ is perhaps slightly darker on blacks. But both are still not really anywhere near true black. In a completely darkened room this becomes very obvious.

Are all the Pana plasma screens supposed to have a protective film around outside black frame when you unpack them? I got a pz 50 800a in mid dec. only to find that it had rectangle rub marks at the bottom corners of the surround that appear to be made from rubbing on the polystyrene packing. Complained to retailer and panasonic and the retailer replaced. Went to pick up today (250km round trip!) and opened up box at retailers only to find same problem again. Panasonic support stated that all screens should have the protector. Ended up bringing home original screen, now awaiting third time lucky plasma to turn up. If it wasn't such an outstanding tv I would have told them to jam it and buy something else. Has anyone else had this problem?

The PX80 and PZ80 both have anti reflective screens and the PZ80 screen is noticeably darker. The PZ80 (anti glare) and PZ800 (no anti glare) appear to have the same screen darkness when off, so accordingly the anti glare coating is not responsible for a difference in screen darkness.

The PX80, PZ80 and PZ800 show exactly the same glare. Do they really have a different glass?

Sorry dudes, I was incorrect (and indeed full of brown stuff) with some of my minuses :blink: as there is indeed an RGB PC connection on the PX80. The PX80 also does supports 24p, but not to the same extent as the PX800.

So which one did you end up deciding upon? I'm leaning toward the px over the pz mainly due to price at the moment. Can't justify the extra $$ for marginal picture quality.

Are all the Pana plasma screens supposed to have a protective film around outside black frame when you unpack them? I got a pz 50 800a in mid dec. only to find that it had rectangle rub marks at the bottom corners of the surround that appear to be made from rubbing on the polystyrene packing. Complained to retailer and panasonic and the retailer replaced. Went to pick up today (250km round trip!) and opened up box at retailers only to find same problem again. Panasonic support stated that all screens should have the protector. Ended up bringing home original screen, now awaiting third time lucky plasma to turn up. If it wasn't such an outstanding tv I would have told them to jam it and buy something else. Has anyone else had this problem?

None of the PX's or PZ's I've unpacked have had an actual layer of film directly on the bezel. They do have a loose sheet of foam-like material draped over it in the box, which I assume is to protect from scratches. None of them had any scratches or scuffs on the bezel.

What are the thoughts on a 42PX8A (as a second plasma mainly for the kids - main unit will be a 50" Full HD) ?

I was looking at a 32" LCD for about $850-900, but I generally prefer the PQ on Plasmas to LCDs and I saw the 42PX8A at Dick Smith for $975.

42" Plasma is only 1024 x 768 compared to the LCD's 1366 x 768 - does this make much difference ?

What are the thoughts on a 42PX8A (as a second plasma mainly for the kids - main unit will be a 50" Full HD) ?

I was looking at a 32" LCD for about $850-900, but I generally prefer the PQ on Plasmas to LCDs and I saw the 42PX8A at Dick Smith for $975.

42" Plasma is only 1024 x 768 compared to the LCD's 1366 x 768 - does this make much difference ?

That is a good choice, I would go with the plasma as well, bigger, better PQ to LCDs around the same price range.