Beyonwiz Dpp2

Why 46?

Do you have issues or something if set higher (50) or does 46 most closely match the TV volume when changing inputs (although I would think this varied from brand to brand ov TV)?

This seems to be the best level for controlling the different volume levels between SD and HD services. I have also set my audio preferences for SD services to be AC3 rather than mpeg where available to reduce this disparity, but most of the stuff I watch tends to be the HD channels, though this is becoming less so when i think about it because of 10 digital, GO! and now 7Two and also the new ABC3 service...
Another thing to remember when using them is that prime time shows usually have at least a 3 minute ad break, whereas later in the evening they can be much shorter, and that's when the 30sec and 10sec come in really handy.

I find the +1min good especially for the later shows as they and SBS ads are usually around the 2min mark.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Im glad its not just me benefiting from my questions!! Makes me feel better! ha!

Well, after another night of kicking goals on the wiz, I set my parameters, if you will and have set the ability to skip commercials and its fantastic. Im big on One HD and the commercials are around 1minute, so find that works and I have the < set to 15sec to jump back if I get carried away!!

Works a treat - So thanks for the heads up!

Last night tho, I did run into a hazzard... I was recording two channels and wanted to watch 7 (I think I was recording 1 and 9), but the Wiz wouldnt have a bar of it and I havent found a way to stop a programmed recording, so I had to rip the antenna out of the Wiz and plug into the TV.

Thus, I am picking up a RF cable today!! Any other ideas as to whats happened here?

Last night tho, I did run into a hazzard... I was recording two channels and wanted to watch 7 (I think I was recording 1 and 9), but the Wiz wouldnt have a bar of it and I havent found a way to stop a programmed recording, so I had to rip the antenna out of the Wiz and plug into the TV.

Thus, I am picking up a RF cable today!! Any other ideas as to whats happened here?

You know the Wiz only has 2 tuners, right? Don't you have an old VCR lying around doing nothing now, that is the same cable, female/male.

Popup- to do just about everything useful on the Wiz (recording control or whatever the option is called).

Or, there is a shortcut, channel surf to the channel being recorded, and hit REC then STOP (just like you can quickly start recording a channel with REC REC).

By pulling out the antenna on the Wiz you have just destroyed 2 recordings.

Did your Wiz come with a manual? I suggest you flick through it to familiarise yourself with a few of the features.

Regards

Stera, simple question - how many tuners does the Wiz have?

Answer - 2 ;)

Therefore you can record CH1 and CH9 and both tuners are employed. To watch CH7 at the same time, you need to use the tuner in your TV.

When you are recording CH1 and CH9, you can still access CH10/CH12 and CH90/CH99 as these are in the same mux as teh channels you are recording.

You can also be recording CH9 and CH99 - this employs just one tuner - whilst you have anopther tuner free to channel surf whatever you want, but you won't be able to record anything else as you are already recording two services.

Confused?? :lol:

Having had the Wiz for over 2 years now, the last scenario I only discovered a few months ago when GO! started.

To answer your final question, there are two ways to stop a current recording;

1. hit Popup>Recording Information which brings up teh current recording(s) and then select the one you want and press Stop

2. go to the channel you want to stop, and press Rec. As it is already recording, you'll get a popup message that asks whether you want to pause/stop/continue the recording

There's pleanty to learn in the first few weeks of being a Wiz owner, then afterwards you can't imagine having watched TV without one :huh:

EDIT: Too fast Tony is just too quick!

Edited by diesel

haha...

Thanks guys! Yeah, I new I would kill the recordings, but I was recording MY shows and the boss wanted to watch hers and of course, you know who lost that one!! She doesnt know how to use the Wiz yet, so everything else I record all MY shows! ha!

Thats a great tip about ending recording, thanks!!

Yes, I have the manual and have read MOST of it, but just found it some of it confusing and thought I would utilise the experience and guidance of people on this forum that can also provide possible other options!!

Two tuners... NOW ITS ALL MAKING SENSE!! ha!

Leave it with me, Im sure I will have more questions tomorrow!!

Thanks again!!

Should I be confused Vroom/Diesel!?

You will all be relieved that there were no huge drama's last night!!

The only small hiccup was when you hit guide and highlight a program to record, if the program ends late, you miss the end... Thats painful. I am guessing tho the only option is to manually set record, or record the show afterwards too!?

The only small hiccup was when you hit guide and highlight a program to record, if the program ends late, you miss the end... Thats painful. I am guessing tho the only option is to manually set record, or record the show afterwards too!?

somewhere in the setup menu you can add pre and post padding to a recording automatically. I have mine set at 2 min pre and 20 minutes post but that's just a personal preference. A few shows run more than 10 minutes late so would rather have more than less.

Sometimes when recording longer events like Bathurst, I record the show after just to make sure and has certainly helped on occassion.

still very frustrating that the channels cant keep to a schedule though, does make it very hard to sync things up.

somewhere in the setup menu you can add pre and post padding to a recording automatically. I have mine set at 2 min pre and 20 minutes post but that's just a personal preference. A few shows run more than 10 minutes late so would rather have more than less.

Setup>Misc>Preferences I think is where the padding options are located Stera.

Have a read of the manual, but I think most people leave Priority disabled and just have the soft padding options similar to tb123 - I have 2mins pre/15mins post

The TV stations, particularly the commercial stations, don't actually follow their schedule, and typically run their prime time programs 5-10 minutes later than the schedule. The EPG sets timers according to the schedule. The TV stations then simply don't follow the schedule.

You can add extra time to recordings automatically in the SETUP>Misc>PVR>Soft Padding. I have this set to Enabled; Pre-padding: 2 min; Post-padding: 15 min; Padding priority: None. There's a fairly good explanation of padding in the newish v1.52e version of the manual (9. Advanced Setup: 1-4(4)). If you didn't get a printed version of this version of the manual with your DP-P2, you can download it from the Beyonwiz Downloads page.

You guys are all fantastic!

I know its easy to tell someone to read the manual, but it isnt always 100% comprehendible, especially when its new - So thankyou for taking the time!!

Hot tip about the padding... See you guys are good!!

What is the priority tho?

You guys are all fantastic!

I know its easy to tell someone to read the manual, but it isnt always 100% comprehendible, especially when its new - So thankyou for taking the time!!

Hot tip about the padding... See you guys are good!!

What is the priority tho?

Priority is used when it's not possible to satisfy all of the padding requests that have been made. There's a fairly good explanation of it in the 1.52e manual. The most commonly used settings are None (preserve the time allocated to recordings at the expense of padding, when they conflict) and Post-padding (preserve padding at the end of the first recording at the expense of the actual programmed time of the second recording when there is a conflict).

Padding priority is less useful than it may first seem, and there are sometimes circumstances where it's simply impossible to record all of the content of two programs scheduled in consecutive time slots on different services if there's a third program being recorded that overlaps the recording of either (or both) programs.

The 1.52e manual is a fairly big improvement over the earlier manuals - it's not only the most up-to-date, but had quite a lot of editing input from the Beyonwiz beta testers in Australia, so (hopefully) it reads a bit better than earlier versions.

Given the very few threads on teh Beyonwiz products i figure i'd post this here. (and i'm new so i'm not allowed to start a new thread yet.)

I've done a lot of searching around the forum for problems with the DP-P2 (and any other beyonwiz products actually) and there seems to be very few instances of issues. A good thing.

But i have one

Upon startup, my DP-P2 (1 month old) rails to find a HDD and as such renders the unit pretty useless (channel info/ config is stored on HDD)

Multiple restarts were attempted,

shut down and full power-off (unplug from socket) had no effect

factory reset and even a firmware upgrade did not bring it back to life.

no HDD functions can be accessed via the setup menu's

I dropped it in at the dealer (Quantum HiFi in Hobart..yes i'll plug them, excellent service, especially for repeat customers of top-end hifi such as myself) this morning.

3 hours later they call me and have tried all the same as i did to fire it up. No-go.

they contacted the Australian Distributor who instructed them to replace it with a brand new one and stated they had not see the issue before. Generally most of the HDD issues they see are simply firmware, re-set, or mis-use related.

They will try and retrieve the data i have on the HDD and return it to me on a USB stick if successful.

So good to see their customer service is excellent.

Also, apart from this issue which has now been sorted basically, very impressed with the DP-P2 and thanks to you guys ^^ for some handy hints on setup.

Recording Foxtel/ Austar via AV-in rocks too.!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Been trying to find an answer here and on the Wiz Forums but to no avail. Which probably answers my question in itself! Either way, I'll look like a noob and ask anyhow:

Can you edit the files on a Wiz DP-P2 (320GB) to remove the adds on playback? And if so, does it make the file smaller? I remember reading in the comparison thread or other, that the Yess 4688 can remove the files but doesn't shrink the file (i.e. hides them).

It would be really handy if the Wiz could do this...

Can you edit the files on a Wiz DP-P2 (320GB) to remove the adds on playback? And if so, does it make the file smaller? I remember reading in the comparison thread or other, that the Yess 4688 can remove the files but doesn't shrink the file (i.e. hides them).

Yes you can, but would be a PIA to do.

Editing directly on the wiz is not that accurate given the way it stores the recordings in 'blocks' of data.

Personally I'd just use the skip button.

If you have something you really want to keep without ads, then better to transfer it to a PC and edit with a dedicated editor such as VideoReDo. You can then transfer back to the wiz or play via network. Editing cuts done this way are very accurate.

Editing directly on the wiz is not that accurate given the way it stores the recordings in 'blocks' of data.

I agree that editing on the Beyonwiz is not an accurate way of doing editing, but I doubt it's got anything to do with the way that the Beyonwiz stores data. Its recording file format allows for editing with single byte resolution. Its editing resolution is certainly better than the ~25 sec of SD (or ~12 sec of HD) that each 32 MB recording data chunk file represents.

What gets in the way is more likely the user interface, and the fact that it probably edits on whole Groups Of Pictures - I-frame to I-frame.

Yes, the Wiz can do this, the file is smaller and it is not too horrendous to do. I frequently do it to extract the 7 mins of recording I want out of the padding needed for commercial programmes. I have also done it for some films on commercial channels, too, and it isn't that onerous. Trim the file to the start of the film, watch to first set of ad's, hit yellow button, skip ad break as normal, hit yellow at end of break and then delete the section using the pop-up button. Continue to watch and repeat at subsequent ad breaks.

You can end up with a fade-in to the start of an ad or out of the end of one, but it is nothing horrendous. I think prl is right, it probably links to a group of frames, but it is a split-second rather than 5 minutes.... If you find it annoying you can trim out those bits on your PC as mentioned. It is easy to transfer files to the PC via a thumb drive or usb disk, too.

Cheers,

Al.

Can you edit the files on a Wiz DP-P2 (320GB) to remove the ads on playback? And if so, does it make the file smaller?

Yes and Yes.

I edit Wiz recordings every day.

1. Navigate to the start of where you want to cut and press the yellow "A-B" button

2. Navigate to the end of the cut and press the PopUp button and select "Delete A-B"

Similarly you can top and tail by selecting the part you want to keep and select "Keep A-B"

Ok, it's not frame accurate but I find it good enough especially for kids programs where I don't want my 2 year old trying to skip ads with the remote.

It certainly reduces the file size which frees up space and reduces transfer time to a PC.

More details at http://www.wiztv.com.au > Support > How do I edit a file

You can actually skip the yellow button press in step 6.

The screen shots are from an earlier firmware release.