Promotion Time

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(re posted from another thread. Looking to buy next few days - eyes open for advice)

I was looking at the Panasonic and Samsung in 50" today THP50G10A v PS50B550 - seemed identical on spec and visually. I was hopping to get a Panny for the Promo but at JBs Kawana they didn't know anything about it and the Samsung is $250 cheaper $2349 with 5 year warrenty.

Anything anyone can add before I spend more on a TV than I thought I ever would?

mellow.gif

(re posted from another thread. Looking to buy next few days - eyes open for advice)

I was looking at the Panasonic and Samsung in 50" today THP50G10A v PS50B550 - seemed identical on spec and visually. I was hopping to get a Panny for the Promo but at JBs Kawana they didn't know anything about it and the Samsung is $250 cheaper $2349 with 5 year warrenty.

Anything anyone can add before I spend more on a TV than I thought I ever would?

mellow.gif

Get to a place where you have several outlets close by, say JB, HN, Myer and what ever, I know myer is pretty good with price matching and willing to deal.

Aim for about or less then $2400 (with/including the 5yrs warranty). EG http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/861031/p...-plasma-tv.html

Above link is just an example, I personally would not use them.

Speaking to a HN rep today, as of midnight tonight certain Sony's will come with a free PS3.

Cheapest LCD being the W5500 for $1750.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a sweet combo like this.

Get to a place where you have several outlets close by, say JB, HN, Myer and what ever, I know myer is pretty good with price matching and willing to deal.

Aim for about or less then $2400 (with/including the 5yrs warranty). EG http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/861031/p...-plasma-tv.html

Above link is just an example, I personally would not use them.

I hope to get a PS50B550 for under $1900, no extra warranty.

I'll give you a 99.9% chance of getting it !

The TV is ticketed under $2099 in most places and everyone will go lower for cash (except the "Pay Less Pay Cash" crooks aka the Good Guys). Remember that this TV comes with a free 22" LCD making it a sweet deal.

I'll give you a 99.9% chance of getting it !

The TV is ticketed under $2099 in most places and everyone will go lower for cash (except the "Pay Less Pay Cash" crooks aka the Good Guys). Remember that this TV comes with a free 22" LCD making it a sweet deal.

It does seem like a good set for the money, I also believe without the cinema smooth it may be better for gaming? I read people on a UK forum had luck enabling extra media functions via the service menu

How would the 2 compare, THP50G10A v PS50B550? It seems the Samsung is slightly cheaper (and comes with a free TV - that I don't want). I mainly just want to watch Digital free to air, mainly MotoGP (and old Batman DVDs, off course)

I think I posted this in another thread somewhere but i got the sony z5500 46" for $2688 12 months interest free at David Jones + $120 in DJ's gift vouchers pick it up tomorrow so i'm entitled to the PS3 as well, could have shopped round and got it cheaper for cash but wanted interest free

PS50B550 with 4 years extended warranty should not cost more than $2150.

Cinema smooth is only active for 24Hz input, its inactive for games.

does the B550 have the crystal engine 100hz? Could this cause lag with 60hz gaming due to over processing? I need advice as you cant trust everything you read on the internet :P

PS50B550 with 4 years extended warranty should not cost more than $2150.

Cinema smooth is only active for 24Hz input, its inactive for games.

Myer Perth City wanted $1800 for the PS50b550 or $2000 for the PS50b650 extended warranty $349 I went for the 650, now can anyone tell me where the receipt number is on the Myer receipts ?

Cheers

Myer Perth City wanted $1800 for the PS50b550 or $2000 for the PS50b650 extended warranty $349 I went for the 650, now can anyone tell me where the receipt number is on the Myer receipts ?

I suppose you're trying to quote a receipt number on your free LCD claim form. Just use the big printed number on Myer's A4-sized order form. You'll be asked to send in a copy of your receipt (the A4 form plus a payment slip) to Samsung so the claims department will take care of that.

I got my free LCD in 2008 by providing that information so it should be OK.

Just bought the Sony KDL40Z5500 for $2,300 from JB HI-FI Cranbourne.

I showed the sales guy the JB HI-FI Online price of $2,300.00 - store pricing was $2,591.00.

He had a quick check and matched it straight up which was good enough for me.

Probably could have haggled a bit more but I was happy.

They only have one more in stock after I took mine.

Picked up the Logitech Harmony 1100i as well from him. Got him down to $446.00 from $490.00.

Best online price was $405.00, so figured it would save me time and money buying it at the same time.

Walked in at 9am, all done with equipment in my car in 20 minutes.

Just bought the Sony KDL40Z5500 for $2,300 from JB HI-FI Cranbourne.

I showed the sales guy the JB HI-FI Online price of $2,300.00 - store pricing was $2,591.00.

He had a quick check and matched it straight up which was good enough for me.

Probably could have haggled a bit more but I was happy.

They only have one more in stock after I took mine.

Picked up the Logitech Harmony 1100i as well from him. Got him down to $446.00 from $490.00.

Best online price was $405.00, so figured it would save me time and money buying it at the same time.

Walked in at 9am, all done with equipment in my car in 20 minutes.

good buy!

it's a shame u r not in Sydney. Fluidtek.com.au has the Logitech Harmony 1100i at $349! could have bought one and mailed to u for $420 including postage ;)

good buy!

it's a shame u r not in Sydney. Fluidtek.com.au has the Logitech Harmony 1100i at $349! could have bought one and mailed to u for $420 including postage ;)

Thanks for the offer leechc168,

I could have ordered the 1100i for $405 and picked up over the counter (in Melbourne), but would have wasted more time today.

As it stands it is currently sitting on my desk ready for programming :)

Even on the PS58B550, where Cinema Smooth apparently needs to be enabled within the advanced settings?

“Enabled” means the TV with auto detect the input and use the appropriate refresh rate (this is what the Panasonics do), there is no way of forcing “cinema smooth” on for 50 or 60 Hz input, it only affects 24Hz input.

“Off” means the TV will use standard 60Hz with 3:2 frame sequence for 24fps input, 50 and 60Hz inputs will be handled normally as they are in “cinema smooth “ mode.

There is never any need to turn “cinema smooth” off on a Samsung and I don’t know why they allow the use to disable it, Panasonic don’t.

“Enabled” means the TV with auto detect the input and use the appropriate refresh rate (this is what the Panasonics do), there is no way of forcing “cinema smooth” on for 50 or 60 Hz input, it only affects 24Hz input.

“Off” means the TV will use standard 60Hz with 3:2 frame sequence for 24fps input, 50 and 60Hz inputs will be handled normally as they are in “cinema smooth “ mode.

There is never any need to turn “cinema smooth” off on a Samsung and I don’t know why they allow the use to disable it, Panasonic don’t.

Ok, thanks, Owen. So, going by that, this set pretty much has all I need. Don't know about the $3k you suggested earlier, but if I can get it under $3250 with an extended warranty of at least 3 years, I might be in business.