Flash Forward Not Hd On 7hd?

my wife actually downloaded flashforward from the net last wek and we watched it sunday night .. looked brilliant. was very clear so i guess it was hd in the states but sd here.. watched a few minurtes in monday and definitely wasnt as good as our copy. just crazy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they use optical fibre links from the US. Since they're usually several days behind the US, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly the tapes out?

could you explain a bit more, what i dont get is why it would take several days to send a movie over optical fibre links from the US.

Wouldn't it be send live from the US and then recored here on taps/or servers and what about live sport such as Nascar and NFL, isn't that sent over optical fibre links?

or did i miss something?, could someone explain please

could you explain a bit more, what i dont get is why it would take several days to send a movie over optical fibre links from the US.

Wouldn't it be send live from the US and then recored here on taps/or servers and what about live sport such as Nascar and NFL, isn't that sent over optical fibre links?

or did i miss something?, could someone explain please

Since they don't "fast-track" these shows until several days after their US airing, there would be enough time to fly the tapes out instead of transmitting over optical fibre. No suggestion of taking several days to transmit over optical fibre. I assume flying the tapes out would be cheaper, but as has been pointed out, there would be more risk of delay. Looks like you completely misunderstood my post.

Edited by emibel

What does optical fibre have to do with anything ? Fibre Optics have been used for data transmission and telephone transmission all over the world for at least the last 20 years. Optical fibre just has a higher bandwith capability than copper cable thats all. All they do is multiplex lots of signals data and voice down one fibre core. TV companies are more likely to use satellite to transmit and receive program data worldwide.

Since they don't "fast-track" these shows until several days after their US airing, there would be enough time to fly the tapes out instead of transmitting over optical fibre. No suggestion of taking several days to transmit over optical fibre. I assume flying the tapes out would be cheaper, but as has been pointed out, there would be more risk of delay. Looks like you completely misunderstood my post.

yeah sorry man, i must of read it wrong, thanks for replying

EDIT: i just re-checked my post and it looked like i replied to the wrong message

Edited by tess1988

Did anyone notice some weird things going on with last night's episode?

A few seconds after and before the ads the contrast was being sucked out of the whole broadcast.

It was as if the contrast was being turned up so the blacks were all grey.

So the ads would finish and about 5 seconds in, the whole picture changes to this ugly looking 'grey'

Did anyone notice this?

A few seconds after and before the ads the contrast was being sucked out of the whole broadcast.

So the ads would finish and about 5 seconds in, the whole picture changes to this ugly looking 'grey'

Did anyone notice this?

Yes something wrong with 7HD in Perth, all washed out apart from the adverts. Is it just Perth?

rgds Damon

Did anyone notice this?

Seems to be caused by the 7HD watermark super that appears shortly after the ad break, and is consistent across most programs on 7HD.

Seems to be caused by the 7HD watermark super that appears shortly after the ad break, and is consistent across most programs on 7HD.

Yes, it seems the 7HD Watermark has not been set up correctly, or it's malfunctioning. It's causing all black levels to be raised in the picture, washing out contrast and making the picture appear 'murky'.

Craig.

7HD has turned to crap, in Perth at least, since they added their new SD channel and I believe they will soon change the name 7HD to 7CD(Crap Definition ) and to hell with all their viewers.

Just can't wait to see what Bathurst is going to look like over the weekend..

Is a program not HD if the guide doesn't have HD on it? IceTV and Yahoo7 don't have HD on FlashForward tonight.

That is correct. FlashForward (& Mercy as well) are still badged as widescreen only for tonight (aka not HD).

Ahh good to know. So if it's badged as WS then it's generally WS only and not HD. Or can something be badged as WS and HD? (Even though if something is in HD, obviously it will be WS as well!)

Is there any particular reason why Seven wouldn't screen this episode in HD? I think I saw online that the second episode that screened on October 5th was badged as HD. (I don't know for sure--I'm staying at my aunt's house and she has FOXTEL Digital, but only SD).

Edited by Rick in Melbourne

• 3 weeks later...

To take this thread a little sideways I just had to comment on the intrusive ads during Flash Forward last night. It was unbelievable.

There we all were trying to follow a fairly intricate plot line and they have an ad break. It returns to the show and 4 minutes later there is yet another ad break! About 6 minutes after that another! Bloody hell, it is unwatchable :angry:

Aren't there laws about that sort of thing that limit the number/length of ads during a broadcast? Surely Seven breached them for Flash Forward??

I know what you are all going to say; "use your PVR and skip the ads" and I will certainly be doing in future (specially since I have just replaced the 200GB hard drive in the Wiz with a shiny new 500GB and have buckets of space that I don't know what to do with :D ).

I just had to get this off my chest - sorry for sidetracking this thread.

Cheers

Jim

To take this thread a little sideways I just had to comment on the intrusive ads during Flash Forward last night. It was unbelievable.

There we all were trying to follow a fairly intricate plot line and they have an ad break. It returns to the show and 4 minutes later there is yet another ad break! About 6 minutes after that another! Bloody hell, it is unwatchable :angry:

Aren't there laws about that sort of thing that limit the number/length of ads during a broadcast? Surely Seven breached them for Flash Forward??

I know what you are all going to say; "use your PVR and skip the ads" and I will certainly be doing in future (specially since I have just replaced the 200GB hard drive in the Wiz with a shiny new 500GB and have buckets of space that I don't know what to do with :D ).

I just had to get this off my chest - sorry for sidetracking this thread.

Cheers

Jim

No need to apologise... I get exactly 'where' you're coming from!

In fact; my irritation with the ad break timing and duration finally got me so 'cheezed', that I went and had a bash on my drums instead of continuing to watch.

To any Ch. 7 representative/employee/programmer who visits these boards on the off chance that their station is being discussed - I'd like to take this opportunity to express my bladder and bowel's thanks for providing so many convenient ad breaks of such duration, that I am able to lose all interest in watching the program that your station has been incessantly advertising for the previous week.

If only the same level of thoughfullness went into keeping viewers butts on their lounges in front of their HDTVs, instead of letting them head off at their leisure to the porcelain pan during the copious and lengthy ad breaks... the likely water shortage caused by so much flushing being done by former Ch 7 viewers in the multitude of ad breaks, might just be avoided!!

No need to apologise... I get exactly 'where' you're coming from!

In fact; my irritation with the ad break timing and duration finally got me so 'cheezed', that I went and had a bash on my drums instead of continuing to watch.

To any Ch. 7 representative/employee/programmer who visits these boards on the off chance that their station is being discussed - I'd like to take this opportunity to express my bladder and bowel's thanks for providing so many convenient ad breaks of such duration, that I am able to lose all interest in watching the program that your station has been incessantly advertising for the previous week.

If only the same level of thoughfullness went into keeping viewers butts on their lounges in front of their HDTVs, instead of letting them head off at their leisure to the porcelain pan during the copious and lengthy ad breaks... the likely water shortage caused by so much flushing being done by former Ch 7 viewers in the multitude of ad breaks, might just be avoided!!

I was wondering what had been causing all the water shortages. I'm glad you were able to clear it all up. :blink:

But seriously, this has forever been a problem with channel 7. Makes me wonder how 7 get such great ratings when they cram 25+ minutes of ads into a 40minute programme. Hardly needs explaining why programming is out by 5-10 minutes every night. 25 + 40 = 65 minutes = 5 minutes overtime. :o As i don't watch Prime all that often, i tend to notice that they cram the most ads into the 7:30 and 8:30 shows (primetime). In fact, this is one of the main reasons i don't watch Prime.

I was wondering what had been causing all the water shortages. I'm glad you were able to clear it all up. :blink:

But seriously, this has forever been a problem with channel 7. Makes me wonder how 7 get such great ratings when they cram 25+ minutes of ads into a 40minute programme. Hardly needs explaining why programming is out by 5-10 minutes every night. 25 + 40 = 65 minutes = 5 minutes overtime. :o As i don't watch Prime all that often, i tend to notice that they cram the most ads into the 7:30 and 8:30 shows (primetime). In fact, this is one of the main reasons i don't watch Prime.

No, no, no, no... It's not 25 + 40 = 65; given that the process of over-run commences with Today Tonight and Home and Away, both of which are meant to be 30 minute shows, that now each run (on average) 5-10mins overtime in their own right!

Perhaps the "station executives" believe the demographic that watches Home and Away is the most likely to be persuaded by barrages of advertising. Given what I'm seeing out of most younger people these days - they wouldn't be wrong, and further given the effect of the economy and the need to shift product; I can empathise with the desire to con young numbskulls into parting with their "easy-come-easy-go" cash, in order to keep hard-up Macquarie Bank executive's yachts, cruisers and launches adequately fueled and provisioned as well as securely moored on Sydney Harbour.

We all mouth our approval of the "benefits" that competition brings - but it doesn't taste so yummy when the "benefit" is only for them what wanted more program choice and it ultimately comes at the cost of them what wanted an improvement in PQ.

All we 'piners' for lost FTA HD quality have to do is remember: follow Owen's advice and sit far enough away from our HDTV's that it won't matter whether it's SD or HD we're watching on FTA... Or alternatively buy something for playing Blu-ray disks in, or loot as much stuff in HD as we can from the internet for streaming via a wired network device to our HDTV or maybe buy a HD camcorder to make our own HD videos, all purchased/obtained for the times when sitting close enough to our 'Full' HDTV to show how good 'Full' HD really is, can quell the bile that wells up the throat, when thinking about how FTA HD quality has been right royally shafted...

It's a lovely; yet brutal world we live in... despite the 'off-with-the-pixie knuckle-heads' who believe that the modern world is somehow mystically unflawed. Even Mick Jagger 'got the drift' and he's no rocket scientist! "You cain't always git what you want"... It's just endemic of the times we live in, that the line now finishes, "but if you try sometimes, you'll get kicked to your knees".

Should I mention the audio quality? Maybe not, because unlike the feeling of getting "kicked to my knees" on the issue of HD FTA video quality, it's more like getting "kneed in the nuts" when it comes to the audio quality FTA provides...

Still: it could be worse. We might not have TV at all - leaving us to entertain ourselves for once! God forbid!! Analogue!!

Edited by Steve C