Camera & Photo Chat

Here's the latest batch of new products announced by Canon yesterday.

Still no 5Dmkiii as many were hoping......

The 200-400L with built in extender would be interesting but think of the $$$$$$

•Canon releases Speedlite 320EX and 270EX II

•Canon develops EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender1.4x

•Canon announces 600mm and 500mm F/4L IS II USM

•Canon launches IXUS 115 HS ultra-compact

•Canon announces IXUS 220 HS ultra-compact

•Canon unveils SX230 HS GPS-enabled compact & SX220 HS

•Canon releases IXUS 310 HS compact with manual control

•Canon Rebel T3 / EOS 1100D announced and previewed

•Canon Rebel T3i / EOS 600D announced and previewed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
Here's the latest batch of new products announced by Canon yesterday.

Still no 5Dmkiii as many were hoping......

The 200-400L with built in extender would be interesting but think of the $$$$$$

Hehe 5d mk3 now that can wait, or I'd just be tempted to buy. Wonder if there'll be a full frame 7dmk2 instead. Now that would be very tempting as well !

Doubt if you'll ever see a full-frame 7D because of Canon's positioning of the 7D in the marketplace.

They can call it 7Ds :P (prob not s, but some other letter)... Make it more in line with Nikon's offerings...

OTOH 5D is due for replacement this year though

+1 on timeline.. Think it'd be in Oct.

• Moderators
They can call it 7Ds :P (prob not s, but some other letter)... Make it more in line with Nikon's offerings...

OTOH 5D is due for replacement this year though

+1 on timeline.. Think it'd be in Oct.

oh I dont think they could go wrong with either, true gb a full frame 7D / 7D2 is doubtfull, but that or a 5D mk3 would bring a lot of joy ! :D

• Moderators
So you're set for FF? :P

I was set for FF when going from film to my first digital SLR a 10D 8 years ago ?

just wont be spending the ridiculous money FF have commanded so far though. especially since they depreciate faster than a lead balloon. but prices dropping consistently though so who knows ? :rolleyes:

I must admit that a 5D MkIII would certainly give one pause to think.

Would be interesting to see if it would have a built-in flash unit. I know that such units are pretty useless for really good shots, but it would make it more versatile.

I can only hope Canon don't waste too much time on video stuff. I'd rather see them delete video from the 5D and increase the still shot capabilities.

What about a built-in GPS unit to tag the shots?

And the ability to handle EF-S lenses.

And a full 100% view finder.

What is your shopping list for the 5D MkIII? :huh:

• Moderators
I must admit that a 5D MkIII would certainly give one pause to think.

Would be interesting to see if it would have a built-in flash unit. I know that such units are pretty useless for really good shots, but it would make it more versatile.

I can only hope Canon don't waste too much time on video stuff. I'd rather see them delete video from the 5D and increase the still shot capabilities.

What about a built-in GPS unit to tag the shots?

And the ability to handle EF-S lenses.

And a full 100% view finder.

GB you hit the nail on one of em, but just dont think its going to happen. thats a built in flash. I know the pros will moan and groan on this one. and I too own a full flash. but there are times you are caught out wihtout a full flash. or there isnt the time or the moment to grab the full flash and you just want a bit of fill in flash or a touch of flash when caught in a back lit scenario.

it was one of the big reasons I grabbed the 7D even though wasnt a FF. and in some ways why I hope a FF 7D might one day eventuate. the way I see it. FF is the way SLR should be the crop cameras are just a cost saving thing to bring SLRs within our reach. but one day it will happen I am convinced ! sensor size is the flavour of the moment. all segment of cameras are moving up in size. compacts moving upto 4/3rds even some compacts like the sonys moving upto crop SLR size. so just means SLRs have to make the move up !

definitely a 100% viewfinder would be a good thing.

video ? I dont know its a handy thing. but yeah doesnt replace a handy cam so something they could loose and I wouldnt be too fussed but I know its also a thing of the moment ....

I thought the 5D mk2 had a 100% viewfinder but is only 98% (is this really that much of an issue?)

I would expect the 5D mk3 to get at least 2 major upgardes borrowed from the 7D...

1) 100% viewfinder

2) 19 pt AF

Also given all of canon's more recent updates you would have to expect significantly upgraded video capabilites, after all they have on every single other update lately!

As for a built-in flash?

There's no reason they can't, I just don't think they will.........

I thought the 5D mk2 had a 100% viewfinder but is only 98% (is this really that much of an issue?)

I would expect the 5D mk3 to get at least 2 major upgardes borrowed from the 7D...

1) 100% viewfinder

2) 19 pt AF

Also given all of canon's more recent updates you would have to expect significantly upgraded video capabilites, after all they have on every single other update lately!

As for a built-in flash?

There's no reason they can't, I just don't think they will.........

That last 2% can be important. Think of a wide-angle shot: that last 2% is where your shoes are, or your shadow.

+1 on 19 point AF.

Sadly, also +1 on video and flash.

That last 2% can be important. Think of a wide-angle shot: that last 2% is where your shoes are, or your shadow.

Actually after a while you'd be able to compensate for the 2% loss (remember 98% of a FF is still way bigger than a full 100% on a APS-C sensor), move the camera around to see what is in the shot and factor that in...

The VF will be bright and even under F22 or whatever you'd still be able to auto-focus.

A flash isn't really that important because bigger sensor = little noise and it's easier to shoot using available light (but newer Digic processors and UWA EF-S lens are really negating the need for bigger sensors). e.g. see MM's frog, bloody fantastic :wub: ..

A built in flash trigger will be good though... plus better weather sealing.. Keep the feature of allowing different focus screens. A good anti-dust system...

Same CF memory support, same batteries, etc..

:P

One of many reasons I didn't get the 5DMk2 is the investment I had made on batteries and chargers on the original 5D.. :angry: Damn them for making BP-511 obsolete... :(

Canon 60D

EF-S 15-85mm IS USM

EF 50mm f/1.4

Sandisk Extreme III 8GB x 2

Benro CF tripod 1681 EX

:)

That's gotta hurt.. :lol: Congrats!

What head did you go with the Benro? I'm using Benro monopod and tripod myself and they're pretty good...

That's gotta hurt.. :lol: Congrats!

What head did you go with the Benro? I'm using Benro monopod and tripod myself and they're pretty good...

First 4 items from JB Hifi for $2400 which is local product for almost the same price as grey import from DDP! :)

The tripod from eBay, this is what I bought....... and weighs in at 1.46Kg all up!

First 4 items from JB Hifi for $2400 which is local product for almost the same price as grey import from DDP! :)

Good price me thinks.. IIRC Canon has realigned worldwide pricings and they're fairer... Good on them for doing so, I guess it's easier for them since they're the local distributor...

The tripod from eBay, this is what I bought....... and weighs in at 1.46Kg all up!

Ah, that's the one with the detachable monopod... 2 in 1.. nice!

Noticed something... Did you forget a bag? :P

Good price me thinks.. IIRC Canon has realigned worldwide pricings and they're fairer... Good on them for doing so, I guess it's easier for them since they're the local distributor...

Ah, that's the one with the detachable monopod... 2 in 1.. nice!

Noticed something... Did you forget a bag? :P

Actually the camera store I went into shortly before JB wanted pretty close to the RRP for the 60D & 15-85 alone so it's more just big-box store discounting when confronted by a well researched customer! :P

The detachable monopod function was part of the appeal of the Benro.

Still I need to wait until next week for the stock to come in and the 50mm is on backorder so later this month for that. :(

Bag? I'm going to use one I already have from years ago for the moment.

Then there's filters, second battery and other bitz & bobs yet to get....... :rolleyes:

Canon 60D

EF-S 15-85mm IS USM

EF 50mm f/1.4

Sandisk Extreme III 8GB x 2

Benro CF tripod 1681 EX

:)

Noice! :)

Know nothing about the Benro stuff - I've always used Velbon. :wub:

As for the 15-85 lens - I reckon that is a great lens. Should have an "L" classification as far as quality of image is concerned.

Happy shooting!

Actually the camera store I went into shortly before JB wanted pretty close to the RRP for the 60D & 15-85 alone so it's more just big-box store discounting when confronted by a well researched customer! :P

or a good bargainer.. :lol:

The detachable monopod function was part of the appeal of the Benro.

Still I need to wait until next week for the stock to come in and the 50mm is on backorder so later this month for that. :(

:P Lucky you that Feb only has 28 days this year... My cousin in law matched the 60D + grip + 17-40... It has a very nice balance when you hold it.. :wub:

Bag? I'm going to use one I already have from years ago for the moment.

Then there's filters, second battery and other bitz & bobs yet to get....... :rolleyes:

Aw.. Get a new bag.. :P New everything.. hee hee..

As for the 15-85 lens - I reckon that is a great lens. Should have an "L" classification as far as quality of image is concerned.

+1.

Noice! :)

Know nothing about the Benro stuff - I've always used Velbon. :wub:

Happy shooting!

I'll let you know what I think about the Benro when I get it and use it for a little while......

I was going to go for a Manfrotto 190 carbon but this was half the weight and half the price with the added benefit of the detachable monopod.

The 15-85 is certainly a nice lens, big sucker too!

While instore I tried it fitted to the 550D, 60D & 7D to confirm I was happy with the choice of the 60D as a body.

Some nice pickups there Pete ! welcome to the bottom less pit hehe

Actually returning after an extended absence there Al.

Just what I need at the moment, another expensive hobby on top of all the others........ :wacko:

I'll let you know what I think about the Benro when I get it and use it for a little while......

I was going to go for a Manfrotto 190 carbon but this was half the weight and half the price with the added benefit of the detachable monopod.

The 15-85 is certainly a nice lens, big sucker too!

While instore I tried it fitted to the 550D, 60D & 7D to confirm I was happy with the choice of the 60D as a body.

And you didn't go with the 7D?! :o

Actually, I hear that the 60D is a damn fine camera regardless of price.

But beware of upgraditus! ;) We have been talking about the mooted 5D MkIII! :P

And you didn't go with the 7D?! :o

Actually, I hear that the 60D is a damn fine camera regardless of price.

But beware of upgraditus! ;) We have been talking about the mooted 5D MkIII! :P

Not enough extra in the 7D over the 60D to justify the extra ~$600 required, plus I think I'll actually use the flip out rear LCD a bit.

As for upgraditis?

This body should do for a while, there's a whole world of pain lenses to explore yet*....... :P

Hmmmmm...... now the 100L macro or 70-200mm f/2.8L as the next addition......

Not enough extra in the 7D over the 60D to justify the extra ~$600 required, plus I think I'll actually use the flip out rear LCD a bit.

As for upgraditis?

This body should do for a while, there's a whole world of pain lenses to explore yet*....... :P

Hmmmmm...... now the 100L macro or 70-200mm f/2.8L as the next addition......

I've got the 100mm macro - good lens. I couldn't justify the extra $600 for the "L" version. This pic was taken with it. (Yeah, I know it needs some work. Blame the photographer, not the lens!)

• Moderators

I have the 100L macro and love it. It's whole another world. Hehe I wasn't going to suggest the 70 -200 L

On my wish list....one day !

Too right about not another expensive hobby hehe

I have the 100L macro and love it. It's whole another world. Hehe I wasn't going to suggest the 70 -200 L

Think I'll just stick with what I've got for the moment and see how it pans out as to what type of lens to get next ie. wide/macro/long......

And neither should you mention the 70-200L. The EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM is far better! :winky:

EDIT: Know what you mean about "another expensive hobby"! :ninja:

And don't forget, he who dies with the most toys wins is still dead! :o

Edited by gone_bush
  • Moderators
Anyone else find that once you get something you've lusted for, that you very quickly find the next toy to dream about.

You read my mind gb...

B)

not you too ? :huh:

as far as 70-200L this is one here I can afford

amazingly unlike usually with grey market stuff, its all the more cheaper here in oz

:D

Anyone else find that once you get something you've lusted for, that you very quickly find the next toy to dream about.

You read my mind gb...

B)

Lust away MM. :P

And don't place too much emphasis on comments that the lens is difficult to use. Specifically, the locking ring that prevents the lens from extending when pointed downwards. It doesn't take much practise for it become second nature to lock it after use.