Camera & Photo Chat

thanks for the headsup treb. damn, that 70-300 looks tasty, been meaning to update my nearly antique rubbish 75-300 with somethign more decent ! . but damn have put myself on a 6 month sebatical with the new job and all that. going to be screaming out to buy one of these at the end of it ! now why did they make it white !

No idea if this is decent or not to be honest... :P +1 on the white, but I think there are skins to cover that and turn in

interesting the 60D has now shrunk and gone down market with plastic body, and repositioned the 7D on mantle of their mid range camera.

It's mean for people to move up from the xxx series I guess.. and the xx people are designd to move to the 7D, and then finally everybody will move to the 1 bodies.. :lol:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
No idea if this is decent or not to be honest... :P +1 on the white, but I think there are skins to cover that and turn in

It's mean for people to move up from the xxx series I guess.. and the xx people are designd to move to the 7D, and then finally everybody will move to the 1 bodies.. :lol:

the white is for w@ank factor. you know for the types that go around saying hey look at my PRO lens hehe, I'd rather stay covert rather than stick otu from the crowd ! no way theyd let you take one of those into a sports event for instance. unless have a press badge ! I never knew you could get covers / skins for the white body. thinking is it something like a condom :D

hehe yep was starting to all a get a bit confusing especially since both the 7D and 50D both had the metal body and pop up flash and the rest. if I move on from my 7D to a 1 body. my wife would make sure I am a dead body ! :lol:

the white is for w@ank factor. you know for the types that go around saying hey look at my PRO lens hehe,

Or marketing I guess.. I can't help but notice during the Independents press club that the photographers up front are using L lens. It gives them prominence...

I'd rather stay covert rather than stick otu from the crowd ! no way theyd let you take one of those into a sports event for instance. unless have a press badge ! I never knew you could get covers / skins for the white body. thinking is it something like a condom :D

Unless the white barrels marked you out for mugging.. :P Hence the skins. Can't find the link now on google.. But they're cool.. And you see some people using them.. Somebody remember the link?

hehe yep was starting to all a get a bit confusing especially since both the 7D and 50D both had the metal body and pop up flash and the rest. if I move on from my 7D to a 1 body. my wife would make sure I am a dead body ! :lol:

Hee hee.. And put you in the freezer.. :lol::)

Is it actually white or the traditional L grey?

grey?? I guess it's not those Pentax white.. But then again, not grey?

TBH I have no idea what colour it is.. Some lens are nicked name 'Whites' in HK, e.g. Big white (70-200 F2.8), small white (70-200 F4), etc"...

• Moderators
Have a look at, eg, this. This is the 100-400 mm L that I recently destroyed my CC with! :ninja:

Hehe nice one !

White, Off white, grey ? Definitely not black I guess ! :)

Does weigh 1kg though :o . So hardly a "lightweight" which is how they describe the 70-300 :rolleyes:

I'm actually rather liking the look of the new 60D as a re-entry into the world of SLR photography.

Years ago I had a Nikon F3 with a buch of lenses but they've long since been moved on.....

Here's the configurations the kits will be available in Australia. :)

The new camera is scheduled to go on sale in September and will be available as body only or bundled with one or more lenses in the following kits:

EOS 60D Single IS kit (with EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS),

EOS 60D Twin IS kit (with EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS),

EOS 60D Premium Kit (with EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) and

EOS 60D Platinum Kit (with EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS).

Prices have still to be determined. For more information phone Canon

From.... http://www.photoreview.com.au/news/product...ls-eos-60d.aspx

I'm actually rather liking the look of the new 60D as a re-entry into the world of SLR photography.

Years ago I had a Nikon F3 with a buch of lenses but they've long since been moved on.....

Here's the configurations the kits will be available in Australia. :)

Without checking, I'd say that 15-85 lens is the same as the one I've got. And it is very, very good for a non-L lens. In fact, I took a few shots with a mates "L" that was approximately the same focal lengths and I could not see any difference in my test shots.

Without checking, I'd say that 15-85 lens is the same as the one I've got. And it is very, very good for a non-L lens. In fact, I took a few shots with a mates "L" that was approximately the same focal lengths and I could not see any difference in my test shots.

I was thinking of either the premium or platinum kits as the best option but want to wait for a few reviews first before going much further.

One question about your mate's L series lens, I though they were only compatible with full frame sensor cameras (5D and above) and didn't work with crop sensor models. something to do with the electronics......

• Moderators
I was thinking of either the premium or platinum kits as the best option but want to wait for a few reviews first before going much further.

One question about your mate's L series lens, I though they were only compatible with full frame sensor cameras (5D and above) and didn't work with crop sensor models. something to do with the electronics......

Pete it's the other way around. The s lenses only work with crop cameras. L and other non s lenses will work on crop cameras and full frames.

The s17-55 Is lens I had was a beauty. But just missed a bit off length. And why bought a 24-105, which hardly seems to ever get swapped with anything else.

I just bought the 50D Premium kit and am in looooove! :wub:

I know it's not the best of the range but as I am not going back to pro photography, it's a perfect snap happy. The lens is beautiful (EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) although I mainly use it for indoors portraits and the 72mm diameter lens still gets enough light so I'm happy.The only problem I've found is when I point the lens down, the weight of it draws the lens out. Not a problem if you are expecting it but as I normally only use one hand for photos, it's been a little annoying.

I didn't bother waiting for the 60D because the 50D had everything I needed and as it was run out, I got it for a song.

Pete it's the other way around. The s lenses only work with crop cameras. L and other non s lenses will work on crop cameras and full frames.

The s17-55 Is lens I had was a beauty. But just missed a bit off length. And why bought a 24-105, which hardly seems to ever get swapped with anything else.

Thanks for clearing that up Al. :)

Your 24-105 is an L series isn't it?

The weight (including battery) drops from 822g to 755g compared to the 50D which isn't a whole lot but could be welcome.....

Thanks for the heads up on the lens sliding issue there Kirily, I can see how that would be annoying!

Re the sliding lens: My 100-400 is also prone to this but it has a ring that you can turn to adjust the friction so that it is less likely to do that. This is one of the downsides to this lens in that manipulation of that ring is a two handed operation. But it does get easier, more natural with time.

• Moderators
Thanks for clearing that up Al. :)

Your 24-105 is an L series isn't it?

The weight (including battery) drops from 822g to 755g compared to the 50D which isn't a whole lot but could be welcome.....

Thanks for the heads up on the lens sliding issue there Kirily, I can see how that would be annoying!

Hi Pete the L series 24-105 indeed.

The 60 is more compact too than the previous 50, so another point of appeal if size important. Will be first to admit, The 40d I owned and 7d now definitely on the bulky side.

• Moderators
The 24-105mm lens is a beauty. Would go greatr with the new 60D ;)

It is a beauty indeed, for me it is the one and only :wub:

Bodies might come and go, but the 24-105 will remain. :)

It is a beauty indeed, for me it is the one and only :wub:

Bodies might come and go, but the 24-105 will remain. :)

Until MkII.... :P BTW, my 24-105 slides down too... And there's no lock.. Not really an issue.. Just that I can't shoot with that lens pointing down... Maybe an issue for zoom lens I guess, but I heard Canon can fix it if you want...

One fantastic travel lens :wub: ...

• Moderators
Until MkII.... :P BTW, my 24-105 slides down too... And there's no lock.. Not really an issue.. Just that I can't shoot with that lens pointing down... Maybe an issue for zoom lens I guess, but I heard Canon can fix it if you want...

One fantastic travel lens :wub: ...

When did you get one ? Kept thAt one quiet :lol::P

The 24-105 not a slide lens though, wondering why yours slides? :unsure:

I tell you what if they had brought out a 24-70 f2.8 IS version. It sure would have me twisted :rolleyes:

It is one fantastic lens yeah the 24-105, whether indoors or out, one versatile lens ! The picture quality of the L series that is the real clincher :o

When did you get one ? Kept thAt one quiet :lol::P

Got it together with the camera. :P At first I seem to have sharpness/focusing issues, but it seems to get better the more use it gets...

The 24-105 not a slide lens though, wondering why yours slides? :unsure:

Not sure how to explain it... It's creeping .. When I hold the lens pointing down and shake, it will eventually pull itself out.... A lock feature will be nice.

I tell you what if they had brought out a 24-70 f2.8 IS version. It sure would have me twisted :rolleyes:

Rumours are rife over that one.. :ninja: So far nothing yet...OTOH the 24-70f2.8 is an excellent lens (My friend have one), and some may prefer the original over the IS...

It is one fantastic lens yeah the 24-105, whether indoors or out, one versatile lens ! The picture quality of the L series that is the real clincher :o

Yar.. Love this lens myself... It's very good for street photography... And will not attract much attention as it's black.

• Moderators
Got it together with the camera. :P At first I seem to have sharpness/focusing issues, but it seems to get better the more use it gets...

Not sure how to explain it... It's creeping .. When I hold the lens pointing down and shake, it will eventually pull itself out.... A lock feature will be nice.

Rumours are rife over that one.. :ninja: So far nothing yet...OTOH the 24-70f2.8 is an excellent lens (My friend have one), and some may prefer the original over the IS...

Yar.. Love this lens myself... It's very good for street photography... And will not attract much attention as it's black.

Congrats on the lens and the new camera...kept that a secret too then ;)

Just given mine a shake while on the camera, definitely no creep, no matter how hard I try.

Yeah I was split between getting the 24-70 or the 24-105, like the length of the 105 for those candid shots, the 24-70 f2.8 would be nice for low light, especially if they squeeze IS into it.

Congrats on the lens and the new camera...kept that a secret too then ;)

Nah.. No new camera.. All the spare money now is going towards the mortgage and 2 channel... Still using my old one (5D+24-105L) atm... No point getting a new camera body since I can't even fully make use of my old one...

It's a fantastic camera still to this day.. Well most likely not, but it's good enough for me :P. Except for the dust bunnies... :( And the thought the mirror might one day fall off.. :( Should really get that fixed some day... :(

Just given mine a shake while on the camera, definitely no creep, no matter how hard I try.

Mine is about 3-4 years old I think.. It will just fall out.. :( I guess prob coz I abuse it quite a lot :ninja:.. But it still works thank god....

Yeah I was split between getting the 24-70 or the 24-105, like the length of the 105 for those candid shots, the 24-70 f2.8 would be nice for low light, especially if they squeeze IS into it.

The new ones will have IS I think... :) One can fall in love with the 24-70 lens.. You can't go wrong with the 24-70... :P The question is, get the current one or wait....

• Moderators
Nah.. No new camera.. All the spare money now is going towards the mortgage and 2 channel... Still using my old one (5D+24-105L) atm... No point getting a new camera body since I can't even fully make use of my old one...

It's a fantastic camera still to this day.. Well most likely not, but it's good enough for me Except for the dust bunnies... And the thought the mirror might one day fall off.. Should really get that fixed some day...

A fantastic camera indeed, nothing wrong with a 5D. With the 24-105L make for an ideal combo.

Well all your money must be going into the mortgage, since yet to see anything from you 2 ch wise :D:P

Mine is about 3-4 years old I think.. It will just fall out.. I guess prob coz I abuse it quite a lot :ninja:.. But it still works thank god....

The new ones will have IS I think... :) One can fall in love with the 24-70 lens.. You can't go wrong with the 24-70... :P The question is, get the current one or wait....

Ah ok if in warranty, was going to suggest just get it checked, likely just a worn o ring or something simple. But yeah if still works prob all that matters :D

Nah if thinking about it don't get the current. Wait till the new one hits, then can either buy that if better or the older one with people off loading or with the run out specials :lol:

Main problem with the 24-70is would be damn confusing if have as 24-105 as to which lens to grab in preference :wacko::(

Ps when do we get to see some pics with the combo :)

Nice review here for the 60D which spends a lot of time comparing it to the previous 50D as well as the 550D & 7D.

Really helps to get a feel for what you get with each model by comparison if trying to decide 550D/60D/7D* like myself..... Then there's the lens to go with the body.... :wacko:

* I've ruled out the 50D on runout as I really want the movie mode.