Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Wow!

That price brings tears to the eye...

yeah thats the problem with these high end compacts...for me might as well pour the cash on the DSLR, I still wouldnt mind a bit of a step up from the lumix lx5 one day though, its a great camera for most out and about stuff travelling etc, but little bit let down when indoors or low light and worse when using its inbuilt flash.

anyways noticed this yesterday on the new canon 24-70, the CR site is saying its the sharpest lens ever made by canon !

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/the-raw-data-the-ef-24-70-f2-8l-ii-is-the-sharpest-zoom-canon-has-ever-made/

fixed 35mm lens though, more for pros to use?

Edit: New Nikon FX seems legit: D600. Toned down version of D800..

Suddenly the 6D seems to have a tad more credibility now..

Edited by myrantz

Hmm.....

Maybe sell all my Canon gear (what little of value i have) and make the switch to Nikon. Give it a few months and itll be at the level of money I'm more comfortable spending.

I hope Canon announce something about a 6D next week at Photokina, but I doubt they will. :no:

Maybe sell all my Canon gear (what little of value i have) and make the switch to Nikon. Give it a few months and itll be at the level of money I'm more comfortable spending.

Or keep the canon gear and have both? :wub: :wub:

I hope Canon announce something about a 6D next week at Photokina, but I doubt they will. :no:

They should be well positioned with the 1D-C 1D-X and 5D3 bodies wise... What come next week may well be some new lens, probably more STM (and for the EVIL one), and maybe a new thrifty fifty? :wub:

Or keep the canon gear and have both? :wub: :wub:

Maybe won't have to....

http://www.canonrumo...d-specs-leaked/

Canon EOS 6D Specs?

I received this spec list this morning, and it seems to have also appeared atDigicame-info.

• A new 20mp sensor
  • Full Frame
  • 4.5fps
  • ISO Range 100-25600
  • DIGIC5+
  • APS-C Sized body
  • Weathersealed
  • SD Card
  • Built-in Wifi & GPS
  • 11 AF Points, f/2.8 Cross-type in the center.
  • 3″ LCD
  • Full HD (1920×1080)
  • Available December 2012
  • Price: $1999 USD Body Only (Speculated price)

Maybe just get a 5D2....they are very good value at the moment

EDIT: had a good think about those specs last night, and I don't think they sound right...

* why have an APS-C sized body when the 7D has a better body?

* do I read this right that the 7D has better specs?

* a new 20MP FF sensor when they have the existing 5D2 sensor?

* Built-in wifi and GPS - why when they can charge extra for this as accessories

* Hoping they have both the flip-out LCD with touchscreen and built-in flash

* Hopefully the above spec list is just someone trying to generate internet traffic to their site and nowhere near what will actually be. Otherwise the Nikon is looking far more impressive....(I know, wash my mouth out with soap!)

Edited by diesel

Maybe won't have to....

http://www.canonrumo...d-specs-leaked/

There is an official specs now it seems: http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/canon-eos-6d-official-specs/

Maybe just get a 5D2....they are very good value at the moment

5D2 will be the best value body out there I think..

EDIT: had a good think about those specs last night, and I don't think they sound right...

* why have an APS-C sized body when the 7D has a better body?

* do I read this right that the 7D has better specs?

* a new 20MP FF sensor when they have the existing 5D2 sensor?

* Built-in wifi and GPS - why when they can charge extra for this as accessories

* Hoping they have both the flip-out LCD with touchscreen and built-in flash

* Hopefully the above spec list is just someone trying to generate internet traffic to their site and nowhere near what will actually be. Otherwise the Nikon is looking far more impressive....(I know, wash my mouth out with soap!)

I guess long story short they are trying to release something to ensure Nikon will not corner the entire enthusiast FF market?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/

hands on preview, I think theyre trying to give people a lower priced option to the 5D3, just stripped back and in a cheaper smaller casing. probably trying to bury the 5D2 once and for all.

in some ways its a bit odd, where a 7D is lot like crop 5D3 with same casing etc. the 6D seems to go the other way ! a bit odd if you ask me. I think it will still leave people wondering between a 7D and a 5D3 ! :D

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1347874502' post='1833743]

in some ways its a bit odd, where a 7D is lot like crop 5D3 with same casing etc. the 6D seems to go the other way ! a bit odd if you ask me. I think it will still leave people wondering between a 7D and a 5D3 ! :D

Well that includes me now!

Basically I was hoping for a 7D in full frame...but I guess that's the 5D3

The lack of a pop-up flash is really a disappointment for me as I like having something that can provide a bit of fill flash without the need for a Speedlite adding to the weight and unwieldiness of the setup.

The Nikon is looking like a winner here - but I really like Canon gear.

Should I be basing the purchase on lenses or bodies...?

Edited by diesel

The lack of a pop-up flash is really a disappointment for me as I like having something that can provide a bit of fill flash without the need for a Speedlite adding to the weight and unwieldiness of the setup.

hehe if helps any I would feel the same I think if had my 7D now looking ofr a full frame upgrade.... And really looking at the 6D, though full frame would feel like a downgrade in the body. and would at back of mind feel a strange move ! its big hook is its full frame though and lower price than the 5D3 so suspect those points probably decider for those going for it.

ps to be honest, though had concerns myself in this regard moving from the 7D to 5D3 without a pop flash. really dont miss the pop up. the ISO performance on these new bodies is simply amazing. and gives the opportunity of capturing more shots in natural light. where I do use a flash now its with the full flash unit, am learning more and more about flash use, but the results you get from it are a quantum up from the inbuilt flash.

ps re whether its lenses or bodies, having owned 4 dslr bodies, I would have to say lenses will stay with you a lot longer and probably the more important piece :)

I have to agree with Al, glass is the investment, and bodies basically consumable. All the glass I buy is suited to FF, but works just fine on a crop body.

For general use body wise pick either the 7D or the 5D3.. There will be people out there who don't like the heavier bodies and they'd prefer the 6D (girls for example)... These bodies fully loaded up with grip and glass zooms are quite heavy and some girls will not be able to access the controls while holding the camera up.

These folks with smaller hands may prefer the smaller and lighter 6D.... When I went to a tourist spot recently almost everybody is using a DSLR now.. It's quite a common commodity these days and until the 600D there isn't a small body FF out there. So I will not be surprised to see girls snap these 6Ds up.

Just guessing only but I'm thinking the primary motivation for Canon's 6D is to make sure Nikon don't grab all the market (for them it's about making sales)... :P

Get a FF, and use all natural available light :wub:... No flash! :P

In general go with lens (as the others say, lens last longer), but it always depends. Unsure if you're into fishing, but for me I think of a lens like a fishing rod, and a camera body as a reel..

Sometimes you have a specific rod in mind, some times you have a reel.. But there are other factors to consider like line class, lures or baits (casting, trolling, jigging), target species too (most wouldn't use a 30kg stick and line to catch herrings)...

Whatever you choose, find the perfect matching complement to get that perfect "feel" and "balance" to suit the target...

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1347884491' post='1833775]

ps to be honest, though had concerns myself in this regard moving from the 7D to 5D3 without a pop flash. really dont miss the pop up. the ISO performance on these new bodies is simply amazing. and gives the opportunity of capturing more shots in natural light.

It's probably more that I don't want to lug a flash unit around and stick one on the camera for those very occasional indoor/evening shots and when shooting where a little bit of fill flash is needed (eg indoors but shot against a bright outdoors background)

I have to agree with Al, glass is the investment, and bodies basically consumable. All the glass I buy is suited to FF, but works just fine on a crop body.

Yeah, this is the lesson learnt over the years. Glass will stay with me and bodies will come and go.

I like Canon glass and certainly would prefer it over Nikon. I had a look at Nikon's lenses over the past few days and boy is it hard to follow. They have so many lenses and so many letters in the names G, IF, DX, AF, AF-S, ED. Still getting a handle on them all.

For general use body wise pick either the 7D or the 5D3.. (most wouldn't use a 30kg stick and line to catch herrings)...

And I guess that's how I think I'd feel shooting with a 5D3 with the kind of casual shooting I do...it seems to be overkill especially price

So if Canon brought out the same as Nikon D600, I would be saving pennies now to buy one on launch, and a couple lenses whilst I am at it.

But the way it stands, I was thinking I might just get a cheap APS-C body to last me a couple years, and then see what Canon has in a couple years. They have just announced all new FF bodies this year so it'll be a few years before any upgrades...

Yeah, this is the lesson learnt over the years. Glass will stay with me and bodies will come and go.

I like Canon glass and certainly would prefer it over Nikon. I had a look at Nikon's lenses over the past few days and boy is it hard to follow. They have so many lenses and so many letters in the names G, IF, DX, AF, AF-S, ED. Still getting a handle on them all.

With regards the Nikon lenses they are basically designed for FF or DX, with DX (as in your list) being suited for crop bodies. You can use either lens with both FF and DX, however, if you're going to consider going FF you should IMO, only purchase FF lenses.

The core Nikon Pro Zooms are 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8. These work well with both crop and FF bodies.

I was using a crop body with a FF lens on the weekend

Dand160912-003.jpg

Dand160912-007.jpg

Dand160912-010.jpg

With regard preferences for one brand over another that IMO, will define which path you go down.

They have just announced all new FF bodies this year so it'll be a few years before any upgrades...

Canon wise they probably still have some up their sleeve, a 7D MkII (probably FF or 1.3x crop factor?), and a possible 3D.

Not sure about other manufacturers as I didn't keep in touch.. But like death and taxes they will always release upgrades, just not all of them are affordable for me.. lol

My comments on heavy DLSR's, additional lenses and external flash units vis a vis PnS when travelling.

I'm in the final few days of a trip to Europe and the Middle East during which I've lugged most of my equipment with me. I do have a PnS but that is still at home. The "why" boils down to the type of shots I want to take.

The first are the "happy snaps" that are to be used as an "aid to memory". Such shots are well within the capabilities of the average PnS.

The second are those that I will term "images". These are the shots that I will spent time on when I get home to do the post-processing that will, hopefully, produce something that will have people saying nice things. Such shots cannot be taken on a PnS - no matter how good it purports to be. Here it is the quality of the pixels which also means the quality of the glass. It also means that the images must be captured in RAW format - not something that can be done with the average PnS, although some can be hacked to do this.

I acknowledge that carrying all this gear can be a PITA at times but, as they say in the classics, "such is life".

if you're going to consider going FF you should IMO, only purchase FF lenses. The core Nikon Pro Zooms are 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8. These work well with both crop and FF bodies.

With regard preferences for one brand over another that IMO, will define which path you go down.

Great photo of the Magnolia S_minty

Yeah, looking at the 24-120 f/4, and either the 70-200 f/2.8 or maybe the 300 f/4.

Definitely looking to invest in quality glass, but in my heart still a Canon man...but that D600 has everything I want...and I want it now!

Canon wise they probably still have some up their sleeve, a 7D MkII (probably FF or 1.3x crop factor?), and a possible 3D.

I'd imagine the 7DMkII will remain their top of the line APS-C body. If it did come in FF it would be higher spec than 6D so can't see that happening. Happy to be wrong though

I acknowledge that carrying all this gear can be a PITA at times but, as they say in the classics, "such is life".

Agree, definitely worth it. You got it, may as well use it!

The Canon 200-400 f/4 with 1.4x converter - I don't get it...why not make it 100-300 f/4. Then the teleconverter makes better sense @ 140-420 f/5.6 doesn't it? Isn't that a more useful range?

~

I'd imagine the 7DMkII will remain their top of the line APS-C body. If it did come in FF it would be higher spec than 6D so can't see that happening. Happy to be wrong though

Agree, definitely worth it. You got it, may as well use it!

if they popped a FF in a 7D its a 5D3 as 7D and 5D3 share the same body build etc. its why I dont get the 6D but then I guess to cut price they had to do something to save cost and it looks like theyve dropped on the body and focussing etc to do that.

Great photo of the Magnolia S_minty

Thank you

The Canon 200-400 f/4 with 1.4x converter - I don't get it...why not make it 100-300 f/4. Then the teleconverter makes better sense @ 140-420 f/5.6 doesn't it? Isn't that a more useful range?

One of the nice things about the new bodies, well Nikon, I'm not sure about Canon, is the ability to auto focus at f/8.0 instead of f/5.6. This allows the use of TC's with more lenses.

TC's?

Please explain

I think he means a teleconverter which generally adds a stop to the main lens.

hornblower