Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

yes quite curious how they do updates on the lenses via the camera. think its amazing in itself that lenses have firmware !

anyways have done the update on the 40 2.8 stm. not sure whats changed really, I dont think I had the issue that the firmware reportedly fixed. well atleast not something come across.

definitely I can say though the 40 2.8 stm is no a full time manual lens. ie it wont allow manual focus in auto focus mode. and even in manual mode and this is the curious part unless you touch the shutter release to activate the autofocus selector it wont actually manually focus when turning the focus dial. this is what has really confused me previously. also the focus when done manually is a bit on the odd side. its almost like its a power assisted focus. perhaps because of the use of the stepper motor this lens is different to the canons implementation with their USM lenses which can focus manually anytime even when the camera is powered down. and with all the lenses I own they allow full time manual focus ie even in auto focus mode which is handy when use auto focus to pull into focus and manual focus dial to slightly adjust focus. cant do this on the 40 f2.8 stm.

That could cause some issues with pictures...no?

Just guessing TBH. Have to wait and see the good folks on the Internet can actually reverse engineer the firmware.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1345630567' post='1828114]

definitely I can say though the 40 2.8 stm is no a full time manual lens. ie it wont allow manual focus in auto focus mode. and even in manual mode and this is the curious part unless you touch the shutter release to activate the autofocus selector it wont actually manually focus when turning the focus dial. this is what has really confused me previously. also the focus when done manually is a bit on the odd side. its almost like its a power assisted focus. perhaps because of the use of the stepper motor this lens is different to the canons implementation with their USM lenses which can focus manually anytime even when the camera is powered down. and with all the lenses I own they allow full time manual focus ie even in auto focus mode which is handy when use auto focus to pull into focus and manual focus dial to slightly adjust focus. cant do this on the 40 f2.8 stm.

Only USM lens allows manual override... They are usually more expensive... So STM is STepper Motor? Not really sure what this lens is designed for (video or still?).. But man the flat profile is really cool... You sure you wanna keep this lens? :P

Just guessing TBH. Have to wait and see the good folks on the Internet can actually reverse engineer the firmware.

Only USM lens allows manual override... They are usually more expensive... So STM is STepper Motor? Not really sure what this lens is designed for (video or still?).. But man the flat profile is really cool... You sure you wanna keep this lens? :P

hehe really am confused with the focusing on this thing, but keeper still :P hehe

yep STM stands for stepper motor. looking at dpreview page here for the lens

http://www.dpreview....anon_40_2p8_stm

says

"Full time manual Yes"

but yeah as a compact lens even with its quirks its a beauty.

So Al, did you buy local of import for your 5D3?

So Al, did you buy local of import for your 5D3?

bought local diesel, when teds had it on special, got a teds 5 year extended warranty for another $100 as well, its all about peace of mind given cost of this and how long am hoping to keep it :)

Sun, sand, beach. Nikon D4 and 1D-X. Who cares about the babes?

Youtube video:

The canon AF system is impressive indeed - able to focus on the subject better instead of the volleyball net. Picking bones really, but pro body wise Canon finally score a win.... That machine-gun like burst of the 1Dx.. D4 is no sloth either. :wub: :wub:

Edit: Updated linky as the stupid video thumbnail maybe NSFW.

Edited by myrantz

Betcha my 5D3 has travelled further than yours! :winky:

Used it today to take some shots a site where a windmill once stood. :whistle:

Who me? I don't have a 5D3.. :( Actually I'm still looking for a P&S for the Mrs.. Not sure what she wants now :/... Hard to guess what's on a woman's mind :wacko:

Where's that? Pics pics, I want moar pics.. ^_^

hehe watching foreign correspondent today, a program about drones and how theyre going to be common place in the us from 2015...then they show the ones being used by paparazi...whom fit a drone with a canon 550D and 18-55 lens ! to snap celebrities unawares. thinking photography is going to probably change quite a bit in years to come. can imagine people using drones to take pics from really interesting perspectives ! :)

all talk ! ...wheres the pics :D

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1346328349' post='1830092]

bought local diesel, when teds had it on special, got a teds 5 year extended warranty for another $100 as well, its all about peace of mind given cost of this and how long am hoping to keep it :)

Yeah nice get.

I've been stalking the usual import sites for a 7D. Local prices are still pretty pricey even after canon reduced to try an better match imports...

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1346755178' post='1831070]

all talk ! ...wheres the pics :D

Sorry, no pics until I return - too big / need PP.

I recently bought Lightroom 4, there was a little card in the box offering 2 free issues of Photoshop User magazine via Zinio. No proof of purchase required so figured i might as well post it up here(assuming it hasn't been posted already)

www.photoshopuser.com/lroffer

Anyone got suggestions on a decent point & shoot ?

Preferably with a 24mm lens and something that'll fit in my pocket. Zoom and MP not so important

what sort of budget gutty ?

my favourite still is the lumix lx5, could pick up cheaply on run out. the canon s100 is more pocketable

Oddly enough Al those are 2 at the top of my list. Cheers mate

Think I just need to go shopping and check out actual sizes

No real budget. I'd rather buy once and buy right, but under $400-500 would be nice. Size is really the biggest factor. Going travelling and want to be able to pocket it if I end up in a pub all night. After that it'll be my glove box camera

Edited by Gutty

Can't recall if we've discussed it Matt, but I did a side by side with the Lumix and the s95, and ended up with the s95. More for Mrs MM to point & shoot, but nice to have a few more functions at my disposal when I pick it up.

Probably would have gone the Lumix but for one feature - the lens cover. Lumix detaches; s95 is automatic. It's one more (or less) thing to worry about.

Especially in those pubs...

We might have discussed it if you checked your emails ;-P

The S95's a bit smaller yeah ? And replaced by the S100 now ?

Edited by Gutty

hi gutty, both really good options I think.

a bit newer to the market and a touch more expensive is the new sony rx100

http://www.sony.com.au/product/dsc-rx100

other one a bit older in the olympus xz-1

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Digital-Cameras/Creator/XZ-1-(2).aspx

probably the only other options can think off.

overseas they have the sigma dp2m and comes in either 19mm or 30mm versions,

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp2m_review.shtml

Cheers Al, i'm gonna go shopping tonight, hold a few in my hand, try them in my pocket etc, but think i've settled on the S100. I've owned a small canon before(IXUS 860) and was well impressed with it, and same with my very first digi cam, a Lumix LC4. Hence my preference for a Canon or Pana.

I think the S100 will do what i want and then some ;-)

The Sony definitely looks good on paper...

I've decided to bite the bullet and take the 7D. I'll get a new bag for it that'll fit my headphones etc and use it as my carry on bag. Maybe get something like an IXUS125HS or similar to stick in my pocket.

the sony does look good, but yeah great can take the 7D :)

looks like fuji has released something pretty tasty in mirrorless compact, good alternative to the canon eos m :)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/06/Fujifilm-announces-X-E1-X-mount-16MP-X-trans-mirrorless-camera-with-OLED-viewfinder

All sorted. Went shopping last night, grabbed a Lowepro Fastpack 250, Canon IXUS 125HS, a pair of AKG K514's and i'm set for the trip.

The IXUS 125 isn't really what i was first looking for, it has absolutely no manual controls, but the more i think about it the the less i'm worried by that. It's the perfect size to just throw in your pocket for those times when i don't plan on taking any photo's but something happens that needs to be recorded. Out of the pocket it's ready to shoot in 2 seconds, and doesn't take a bad pic given it's size etc.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1346923114' post='1831458]

the sony does look good, but yeah great can take the 7D :)

looks like fuji has released something pretty tasty in mirrorless compact, good alternative to the canon eos m :)

http://www.dpreview....OLED-viewfinder

Yeah, but when you can't lug the 7D around you need something pocket sized with a very good lens and good size sensor (not the usually crappy noise plate).

The IXUS 125 isn't really what i was first looking for, it has absolutely no manual controls, but the more i think about it the the less i'm worried by that. It's the perfect size to just throw in your pocket for those times when i don't plan on taking any photo's but something happens that needs to be recorded. Out of the pocket it's ready to shoot in 2 seconds, and doesn't take a bad pic given it's size etc.

The wife has an older IXUS80. They are great travel cameras and they literally do fit in your pocket. Just printed out an A4 print of neuschwanstein castle we took when we were in Europe last year - looks great and only spoilt by some atmospheric haze. Was up in Sydney during the Vivid festival earlier this year and I was able to take quite good handheld night shots of the light show. A little bit of tweaking in LR to remove some of the colour noise resulted in very respectable 10x15 prints.