Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Just wish a replacement for the 7D was around the corner...

It's already here - it's called the 5D3! :lol: Come on, you know you want one! :yes:

Shoot me now...but I don't really want one :shocked:

I'm happy enough to keep with a slightly smaller body, and save some coin for glass. A 7DII is definitely on the cards or maybe a 6D if it's closer to $2k than $2,800 when (if) released.

I've a question for the camera experts. Despite having a film SLR many years ago, I have never upgraded to a DSLR and have instead used the compact varieties. I have a Canon G6 and the wife has a Ixus80IS. On a recent trip OS I found that I used the G6 for all of 3 out of about 1000 photos with the wife's Ixus taking care of the other 997! The fact of the matter was that the pocket camera was easier and more secure to cary about, and even a compact like the G6 you still have the "gee, look at me I'm a tourist" aura.

Now, I have been considering upgrading to something a little more modern, and of course the G1X is an obvious contender. However, given that I even find a small camera like the G6 a bit of an inconvenience on an overseas trip, I am starting to think "in for a penny, in for a pound". Ie., a DSLR would be no less convenient on the occasions I typically use the G6 for now!

So, one DSLR alternative I have been considering is the Canon 650D. I am not impressed with the kit lenses, so I was considering getting a body and a better single lens (to start with) like the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM . One thing my original experience with an SLR taught me was one really good quality lens good for walk-about shooting is better than 2 or more with regular lens changes.

Of course that body/lens pair will cost way, way, way more than a G1X; but would it be worth it? Or is it a rubbish combo? Or should I stick to something like the G1X.

I would suggest that the EFS 15-85mm IS USM would be a better match for that body. ;)

I would suggest that the EFS 15-85mm IS USM would be a better match for that body. ;)

Agreed.

The 18-135mm IS is also a very good walk around with bigger range, but the 15-85mm is a far better quality lens.

The 24-105mm L is a great lens, but better for Full Frame than an EF-S camera where the crop factor means the wide angle is affected and it becomes 38-166mm.

~

So, one DSLR alternative I have been considering is the Canon 650D. I am not impressed with the kit lenses, so I was considering getting a body and a better single lens (to start with) like the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM . One thing my original experience with an SLR taught me was one really good quality lens good for walk-about shooting is better than 2 or more with regular lens changes.

Of course that body/lens pair will cost way, way, way more than a G1X; but would it be worth it? Or is it a rubbish combo? Or should I stick to something like the G1X.

I havent been impressed with kit lenses either, if can buy body only the one lens you mention the 24-105L is the no 1 best lens purchase ever for me all these years. and this includes most of the time have owned a crop camera. while bodies will come and go good lenses will stay with you. and with me the 24-105 4L is the one lens that pretty much never comes off the body whether indoor or out :)

I'm happy enough to keep with a slightly smaller body, and save some coin for glass. A 7DII is definitely on the cards or maybe a 6D if it's closer to $2k than $2,800 when (if) released.

theyre saying october now for a possible 6D which might be a smaller size full frame...who knows...lets see what happens at photokina.. :)

Thanks guys for the responses!

The 18-135mm IS is also a very good walk around with bigger range, but the 15-85mm is a far better quality lens.

The 24-105mm L is a great lens, but better for Full Frame than an EF-S camera where the crop factor means the wide angle is affected and it becomes 38-166mm.

I didn't see the 15-85mm on the canon catalog although I can find it via a search, so I presume it is an older lens. Understand the 1.6 crop issue, but I don't know whether 38-166 is necessarily a bad thing (for me). The reason why I picked this lens was that I was able to find some really decent prices. The other lens under consideration is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens which is more suited to the 1.6 crop and seems to get some glowing reviews.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344684443' post='1825236]

I havent been impressed with kit lenses either, if can buy body only the one lens you mention the 24-105L is the no 1 best lens purchase ever for me all these years. and this includes most of the time have owned a crop camera. while bodies will come and go good lenses will stay with you. and with me the 24-105 4L is the one lens that pretty much never comes off the body whether indoor or out :)

Not an uncommon story. I have come across a number of people with this lens on their cropped cameras. As you said, bodies come and go, but lenses are for a long time and one thing that I learnt with a film SLR is that budget lenses are a false economy. Sometimes I think the kit lenses give little to no benefit over a much cheaper fixed lens camera.

Anyway, I will continue the search... not going to rush into this and I have plenty of time (the longer you wait the cheaper stuff seems to get).

I didn't see the 15-85mm on the canon catalog although I can find it via a search, so I presume it is an older lens. Understand the 1.6 crop issue, but I don't know whether 38-166 is necessarily a bad thing (for me). The reason why I picked this lens was that I was able to find some really decent prices. The other lens under consideration is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens which is more suited to the 1.6 crop and seems to get some glowing reviews.

~

the 17-55 is a good option, one I owned for quite a while but sold it off more than 3-4 years ago. I just kept finding the 24-105 taking preference. the 17-55 I found a bit distorted in the wide end and in practice 55mm pretty short on long end for zoom as well.

if looking for something on the wide end the 17-40 4L I found a better option I've purchased more recently. The 17-40 is just as usefull on the wide end, less bulk, has better L series construction and quite a bit cheaper. most of the time I am still using the 24-105 though hehe

~

Not an uncommon story. I have come across a number of people with this lens on their cropped cameras. As you said, bodies come and go, but lenses are for a long time and one thing that I learnt with a film SLR is that budget lenses are a false economy. Sometimes I think the kit lenses give little to no benefit over a much cheaper fixed lens camera.

Anyway, I will continue the search... not going to rush into this and I have plenty of time (the longer you wait the cheaper stuff seems to get).

yep have owned 3 crop cameras over last 8 years. 10D-40D-7D and the camera tech have seen progress at a mighty rate with each upgrade. whereas lenses seem to be one constant. take your time pick something of good quality and that suits your need and likely serve you long long time :)

Damn, here's me sans gun! :lol:

Completely agree re priority on glassware. My advice would be to prefer the EF lenses over the EF-S ones. When I decided to go to the 5D3 all EF-S lenses had to go.

As with sound gear, the first thing is to determine what you are going to use the kit for. In my case, it is primarily landscape stuff so the wide angle lenses are of more interest. That is not to say that I don't have an interest in other subject styles.

As said above, don't skimp of the glass - good glass will last a lifetime. If it helps, this is the contents of my glass cabinet:

Hey Puss,

This isn't going to make your choice any easier, but...

I've owned a 24-105L on a 450D body, and now have the 15-85 EF-S on a 7D body. Both are really decent setups.

The 24-105 is no way overkill for a 650D.(it's a good body and the better glass you have on it the better pics you'll get) And probably my favourite all purpose lens for general duties.

But the 15-85 is no slouch either, and on a crop sensor is probably a better all round lens if you're only going to have 1. Especially if you wanna do any wider landscape type shots. Plus it's a bit smaller and definitely looks less "pro".

Either way I don't think you can go wrong, and really comes down to which zoom range is gonna work best for you.

Raspberry Pi in a camera grip (Linky). Not everybody's cup of tea I guess, but may interest hackers :P

Don't _need_ one - but _want_ one! Hope someone takes up the idea and makes a production version of it.

How about this? An offer you can't refuse: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/77894?

Canon EF 40mm F/2.8 STM Lens $179.00 Delivered from DWI - TODAY ONLY!

Do google around for a firmware update info and see if that's relevant to you or not though. This deal may expire soon.

How about this? An offer you can't refuse: http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/77894?

Do google around for a firmware update info and see if that's relevant to you or not though. This deal may expire soon.

dwi do grey imports though and they dont say which country the canon warranty is from. teds had the 40mm for $199 the other week. genuine local stock and for $20 more am not sure the dwi one such a good deal. to be perfectly honest though am little unconvinced with the 40mm. the manual focussing is still got me confused, its a bit odd in use. and in focusing the 50mm 1.4 is much better I think either manually or with auto focus.

~

Edited.

Can we keep this thread clean, please?

Thanks Chopsus. :)

Edited by Mining Man

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1345543712' post='1827731]

dwi do grey imports though and they dont say which country the canon warranty is from. teds had the 40mm for $199 the other week. genuine local stock and for $20 more am not sure the dwi one such a good deal. to be perfectly honest though am little unconvinced with the 40mm. the manual focussing is still got me confused, its a bit odd in use. and in focusing the 50mm 1.4 is much better I think either manually or with auto focus.

You selling the pancake? :P

But yeah, for $20 more it's a better idea to get local stock (esp the firmware issues).. As for the focusing - could it be related to the firmware issue? (Can you try download the latest firmware and see what happens? http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm-firmware-available/)

You selling the pancake? :P

But yeah, for $20 more it's a better idea to get local stock (esp the firmware issues).. As for the focusing - could it be related to the firmware issue? (Can you try download the latest firmware and see what happens? http://www.canonrumo...ware-available/)

no not selling :P thanks for the heads up for the firmware update though, didnt realise, will give a shot tonight and report back :)

Something else for you canon owners to drool over

46MP 3D Rumor

drool hehe

as an aside, its interesting the whole "3D" thing not really being looked at with regard SLRs. presumably because theyd need twin lenses ? twin sensors ?

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1345602599' post='1827967]

no not selling :P thanks for the heads up for the firmware update though, didnt realise, will give a shot tonight and report back :)

Let us know how it goes. Funny way of upgrading the lens firmware - via the body (but I guess that's the only way)...

I wonder if the whole 3D thing is just a reaction to Nikon's megapixel count and not something that Canon wants / needs. :huh:

Is it odd that you can only update the lens FW on one of the newer camera bodies only - 650D, 5DIII or 1DX?

The firmware on older camera bodies probably don't have the option to update the lens firmware, or the hardware can't do it..

It's quite exciting to be able to update firmware of a lens via the body... Eventually folks will reverse engineer the comms protocol and find a way to hack a lens :P... e.g. there's probably a good reason why the widest is 2.8, but why not change the firmware and report it as capable of doing 1.8 or wider instead? :P:wub: :wub:

That could cause some issues with pictures...no?