Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

This is one I took earlier this year. It was just by chance and I didn't have time to set up properly. The basic stats are: 1/2000, F5.6, ISO 500, 100-400L @ 330mm. It's a bit blurry so a higher shutter speed (which would have meant a higher ISO) would have been better, but...

post-56431-0-17259200-1344303136_thumb.j

That shot with the 7D? Or your new 5D3?

On the other front: Canon MF <- One powerball... Dreaming, LOL...

On yet another front, the Mrs just sold her much beloved Lumix FZ-35... She's looking for another camera now and hopefully I can guide her towards the EF-M camera.. Way too early to call as we have to try it and see before - feel, speed of boot up and AF speed are the only 3 main criteria we are looking at so should be easy to decide. Buy local or import? Hmmmm.....

7D

And don't hold your breath for the MF

7D

Gee... That looks quite grainy at 500...

And don't hold your breath for the MF

Hee hee.. Only in my dreams...

Which is why I usually used ISO 100. I was pretty disappointed re ISO noise. Haven't done much of a controlled test with the 5D3 but it appears to be much better.

Which is why I usually used ISO 100. I was pretty disappointed re ISO noise. Haven't done much of a controlled test with the 5D3 but it appears to be much better.

Was kindda too afraid to ask what camera was used just now... :P ISO 500 not a typo? If yes, was that 400 or 800? No exif reader at work kindda pissing me off now... :/

According to the EXIF data 'twas indeed 500.

Gee, that ISO16000 shot is quite impressive.... Wow...

Can we assume from that that you have placed your order? :huh::winky:

Can we assume from that that you have placed your order? :huh::winky:

Moi? I'm officially a vintage user now... lol... God damn that is pretty impressive though.

great performance from the 1DX there, definitely as he suggests canon iso performance has improved over the years. to me its something been very noticeable over the last 8 years goign from their 10D to 40D to 7D and now 5D3. Am constantly astounded how well it does on higher ISOs though no doubt the 1Dx is another league as it should be :)

OK, question for those more learned than I;Canon 70-200 F2.8 L (non-IS) or 70-200 F4.0 L IS?Both are around the same sort of $.Use would mostly be outdoor sports photography (99% daytime) and a little bit of landscape stuff too.Sports would be recreational baseball and soccer.Would the faster glass of the F2.8 be better than the IS capabilities of the F4.0?Weight would be a slight consideration, but mostly it's the potential to improve my chances of getting a better pic that is most important.Thoughts?And potentially, as an alternative the 70-300mm F4-5.6 L IS? Smaller, slower lens but from reviews I've read still a very good option with increased zoom (300mm) capabilities???

Hey D, I'm definitely no pro, but i love my 70-200 f4L IS. So much so, that my next big purchase will probably be the 300mm f4L IS.

Shot a bit of motocross with it the other day and was pretty happy with the results. Especially given it was the first real play i've had with the lens and GB's old 7D body, was mostly on full auto... :blush: And the bikes were coming straight toward me. A faster lens would have been nice, but all in all i was pretty happy. Do kind of wish i'd spent the extra on this though.. :whistle:

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4492.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

Edited by Gutty

Shot a bit of motocross with it the other day and was pretty happy with the results. Especially given it was the first real play i've had with the lens and GB's old 7D body, was mostly on full auto... :blush: And the bikes were coming straight toward me. A faster lens would have been nice, but all in all i was pretty happy.

Motocross are great candidates for the pan&scan... If you apply this technique you don't need to use faster lens... That gives the sensation of speed.. The effect is as nice, if not better than bokeh in terms of isolating the subject...

I think it doesn't work if they're coming straight at you though..

Good to hear that you're having fun with the 7D!

What you might want to try is to set the aperture to minimum to reduce the DOV. If you're not too far away you should have just your subject in focus thereby making it/him to centre of attention.

You might have to play with the AF menu to select one of the "single point" selections.

EDIT: The article minty liked to gives some great hints on AF management regardless of the camera. I certainly learned a bit!

Edited by gone_bush

Good to hear that you're having fun with the 7D!

What you might want to try is to set the aperture to minimum to reduce the DOV. If you're not too far away you should have just your subject in focus thereby making it/him to centre of attention.

You might have to play with the AF menu to select one of the "single point" selections.

EDIT: The article minty liked to gives some great hints on AF management regardless of the camera. I certainly learned a bit!

I'm slowly learning mate :winky:

What article ??

Hmm, looks like a pretty hefty set of additions. I like the "ISO Auto maximum setting" - prevents the auto mode from selecting ridiculous ISO settings (that's if I've interpreted it correctly).

great to see the shots gutty :) particularly like the last one. should be a nice combo the 7D and the 70-200 4L IS.

Hey D, I'm definitely no pro, but i love my 70-200 f4L IS.

<snip>

7D body, was mostly on full auto...

wish i'd spent the extra on this though.. :whistle:

Mini diesel's were playing soccer a couple weeks ago and one of the Dad's on the opposition had a 7D + 70-200mm f4L. That's the first time I've seen/noticed an f4 and it looked very small, compared with the 7D body. Maybe would have looked better with a smaller body like a 650D?

The 2.8L just looks big and heavy though, so I guess there's sacrifices, but $2k is too rich for my blood.

I think though, that's the way I'll end up going...7D and 70-200mm f4L. Just wish a replacement for the 7D was around the corner...