Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

I'm caught in a bit of indecision at the moment - it's time I upgraded.

I like the new features of the 650D, and the smaller body appeals too, but I was about to buy a 7D and it still has a very strong lure. If I could get a 7D (or maybe a 70D) with 650D features I'd buy one, but then rumours of a cheaper FF DSLR body (6D anyone?) have my interest piqued as well.

Will certainly wait until Photokina to see if anything else is announced. New EF_M lenses is all i can see Canon announcing there. Do they usually make announcements at Photokina, or do they tend to do their own thing as far as product reveals are concerned?

Not my cup of tea. Instead, have just ordered one of these for when the 5D is too big to take http://www.smh.com.a...0628-21502.html

It's also replacement for the Leica compact I dropped and can't get repaired (something I'm still very disappointed about).

Edited by swordfish805

It appears Nikon is also holding back announcements for Photokina including new mirrorless models. I feel the mirrorless revolution will start making inroads over the next year or so.

I'm caught in a bit of indecision at the moment - it's time I upgraded.

I like the new features of the 650D, and the smaller body appeals too, but I was about to buy a 7D and it still has a very strong lure. If I could get a 7D (or maybe a 70D) with 650D features I'd buy one, but then rumours of a cheaper FF DSLR body (6D anyone?) have my interest piqued as well.

Will certainly wait until Photokina to see if anything else is announced. New EF_M lenses is all i can see Canon announcing there. Do they usually make announcements at Photokina, or do they tend to do their own thing as far as product reveals are concerned?

I'd wait till photokina, couple of months will know :)

DROOL!!!! :wub:

Wonder if there's going to be "Shop soiled" sale?

wow

ps some feedback re the 40mm f2.0 and the ftm focusing it uses. am not sure am that convinced in the tech. I dont think its upto the USM used in say the 24-105L or even that in the 50mm 1.4 doesnt seem as quick and tends to hunt. Also the usm lenses the full time manual adjustment of focus seems a lot more positive than on the 40mm where if turning the focus dial and at times it does nothing ! bizarre getting used to it a bit more I guess !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1343802679' post='1823135]

ps some feedback re the 40mm f2.0 and the ftm focusing it uses. am not sure am that convinced in the tech.

I think it's far better than the UD drive on the 18-135mm IS (nonSTM) - "the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens uses a Micro Motor to drive AF. It is neither fast nor silent, but is adequate for casual use", but agree it probably not as good as USM for focus, but the other benefit is near silent operation for video recording.

I think it's far better than the UD drive on the 18-135mm IS (nonSTM) - "the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens uses a Micro Motor to drive AF. It is neither fast nor silent, but is adequate for casual use", but agree it probably not as good as USM for focus, but the other benefit is near silent operation for video recording.

your probably right diesel, I remember a couple of MM lenses have had in the past and know what you mean. I'll have to spend a bit more time with my 40mm stm. main thing to get used to for me is the manual focus as its defiitely different to other full time manual lenses have owned.

GB re 5D3 dual slot to be honest I think unless people are ripping off machine gun speeds eg sport or something I doubt anyone would notice difference. I didnt myself with my compact flash in one slot and SDHC card in another. stopped using dual slots myself as would get bloody confusing what was taking photos on. which made confusing when transfering. now I swap to using the 16GB SDHC card I have only when taking video as have a couple of 16GB cards. keeps my photos on one card and videos on another. but I physically swap to save on the confusion :D

OK, question for those more learned than I;

Canon 70-200 F2.8 L (non-IS) or 70-200 F4.0 L IS?

Both are around the same sort of $.

Use would mostly be outdoor sports photography (99% daytime) and a little bit of landscape stuff too.

Sports would be recreational baseball and soccer.

Would the faster glass of the F2.8 be better than the IS capabilities of the F4.0?

Weight would be a slight consideration, but mostly it's the potential to improve my chances of getting a better pic that is most important.

Thoughts?

And potentially, as an alternative the 70-300mm F4-5.6 L IS? Smaller, slower lens but from reviews I've read still a very good option with increased zoom (300mm) capabilities???

Edited by diesel

Diesel some things, the f2.8 70-200 is a beast to carry around the 70-200 while out and about is a lot more manageable in my opinion. For sport and out and about, I wouldnt have thought a f2.8 is important, would have thoughts thats more of importance for indoors or low light ?

the f4 would be plenty I would think to give a reasonable field of view, and the IS would come in handy for hand shake trembles on zooming.

ps apart from optics, if considering a camera upgrade quite a bit is to be gained I think in ISO use and speed of the camera as go up in the canon model range.

~

Would the faster glass of the F2.8 be better than the IS capabilities of the F4.0?

~

The faster shutter speed with the wider aperture means your subject is more likely to end up sharp and clear. IS might correct hand shake with the slower shutter speed of the f/4.0, but it's not going to slow the subject down.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344132841' post='1823908]For sport and out and about, I wouldnt have thought a f2.8 is important, would have thoughts thats more of importance for indoors or low light ?

The faster shutter speed with the wider aperture means your subject is more likely to end up sharp and clear.

That's one each way....not helping guys ;)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344132841' post='1823908]ps apart from optics, if considering a camera upgrade quite a bit is to be gained I think in ISO use and speed of the camera as go up in the canon model range.

Yeah, ISO seems to be where Canon trumps Nikon ATM

Edited by diesel

I have no personal knowledge of either lens but I :wub: IS.

It is said to be the equivalent of one full F-stop. So, for practical purposes because you can hand-hold a lower shutter speed, F4.0 w/ IS is the same as F2.8 w/o IS.

Use would mostly be outdoor sports photography (99% daytime) and a little bit of landscape stuff too.

Sports would be recreational baseball and soccer.

I guess it also comes down to the type of results you’re after. The extra speed also helps with separating the subject from the background through shallower DOF.

The issue with increase in ISO is decrease in dynamic range. These days I rarely shoot above the base ISO, so I maximise the dynamic range. I realise this is not always possible.

I might have it all wrong, but IS stabilises the camera, not the subject.

For anything that is moving, I'd have thought faster glass is always better, everything else being equal.

IS allows you to use a lower hand-held shutter speed. So, no, it wont freeze the action - just the reverse.

to freeze action I usually use a faster shutter speed. as opposed to slower shutter speed that blurs movement. usually I would move to shutter priority mode for this kind of thing :)

personally for sport I'd miss the 70-200 and jump to the 70-300L :)

http://www.canonrumo...5-6l-is-review/

as he says,

What other lens might this compare to?

What other lens might this compare to?

I’ve heard about a lot of people trading in 70-200 f/2.8L IS lenses for 70-200 f/4L IS. In most cases, it’s because the lens weighs less and they don’t need the 2.8. For other people, it’s because of a significant cost savings.

If you’re considering a 70-200 f/4L IS, you should also take a peak at the 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS. It takes less bag space and you’ll use the 300mm if you have it. I think it’s as sharp as the 70-200 f/4L IS. The variable aperture may bother some people, but it won’t be an issue for a lot of you. I would choose this lens every time.

I’ve never used the Sigma or Tamron big zooms. so I can’t make any statement about them.

worth a consider at least :)

re IS on the 70-200 4L have a peep here as to benefit it can bring,

http://www.kenrockwe...harpness.htm#vr

http://www.kenrockwe...abilization.htm

and see the shutter speed at which the benefit is - I wouldnt say thats in the sports arena. IS is great at longer zooms & lower light where dont have a tripod, though a lot of pro photograhers also use tripods/mono pods. maybe because they also get tired holding those heavy cameras/lenses all day long too ! hehe

personally for me IS is really there for hand held shots, zoomed out and lower light. not fully sure as to benefit for sport, but the smarter IS these days have a couple of modes one so can for instance pan a moving image and blur the backgroud for great sense of pace.

I find it handy when chasing fast moving kids for instance :D where have to be fast in movement of the camera with good chance of shake in indoors or lower light. IS is a boon !

diesel its so confusing sometimes deciding. I really think thats where if can head in store and check out it sometimes helps :)

Yeah, will drop by a few in George St, Sydney (now that I work in the city) and get some feedback from the guys in the shops and see if I can try them out...

Appreciate all the thoughts guys. Some good points covered, and certainly makes clear a few issues...but doesn't make the decision any easier

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1344248329' post='1824163]

to freeze action I usually use a faster shutter speed. as opposed to slower shutter speed that blurs movement.

Suum cuique. But in most circumstances I think that the slower shutter speed combined with panning, and therefore a blurred background, gives the illusion of speed / movement. Even more effective if the shot is composed properly.

Suum cuique. But in most circumstances I think that the slower shutter speed combined with panning, and therefore a blurred background, gives the illusion of speed / movement. Even more effective if the shot is composed properly.

I can never do that right.. :( Never ever! Did you use a pan head for that, or hand held, or??? Read not much, but still quite a bit on this subject but couldn't really do it.. :(

Hand-held. And just pan with, say, the racing car. Of course, it's best to have the camera on high speed continuous mode. And, if possible and using the "Rule of Thirds", put the subject at one of the verticals thereby giving the subject "something" to move into.

If you've ever done any hunting and know about "leading" the target, then it's pretty much the same here.

And, as always, practice makes perfect.

And, as always, practice makes perfect.

That's what they say, but never seems to get any better for me... LOL... Hopefully will succeed in this some day.. :wub: