Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342969283' post='1820545]

looks like aps-c 18mp sensor, and lauching with an adapter to take canon ef lenses. which is good to see. still wonder though if it is an aps-c format camera why on earth have they developed a whole new mount system needing an adapter to take any of canons already huge range of lenses ???

Wow... Very good monday for a while.. I was asking myself where's the mirror when I was looking at that inside pic (with the sensor), then LOL, the point is there isn't one :lol: ...

The body also have a white dot, which is the same colour for EF-S lens (EF is red)? Wouldn't that be confusing?

My wife may love this. The only thing she don't like is the lack of EVF (she still uses it)...

Another travel camera on my radar.

http://www.dpreview....umix-dmc-fz200/

We have two Lumix superzooms so far, and they are great... The only downside is any pics > ISO 200 is kindda crap, but I'm sure with your skills you can shoot around that...

The AF system is pretty quick, and the startup time is quick as well, one of the fastest performers in the superzoom class.

We have two Lumix superzooms so far, and they are great... The only downside is any pics > ISO 200 is kindda crap, but I'm sure with your skills you can shoot around that...

The AF system is pretty quick, and the startup time is quick as well, one of the fastest performers in the superzoom class.

The issue with any digital camera and high ISO is reduction in dynamic range. I generally don't shoot above 200.

If you have some time check out this video on

, it shows what can be achieved with very little.

The issue with any digital camera and high ISO is reduction in dynamic range. I generally don't shoot above 200.

If you have some time check out this video on

, it shows what can be achieved with very little.

Wow... Zack is amazing.. wow....

Edit: Video of new canon camera on http://www.canonrumors.com/... In Italian.. And the EF mount do accept EF lens.. :wub: :wub: :wub:...

Edited by myrantz

Even though I _love_ my toys, I'm not even remotely interested in the new Canon or Lumix.

The 5D3, and lenses, may be big and heavy - but that can be advantage: heavier gear is easier to keep steady. And, of course, they take a pretty acceptable photo.

And I'm not about to "throw" away $10k+ worth of equipment.

So I'm a dinosaur - but don't forget they ruled the earth for about 185 millions years!

The 5D3, and lenses, may be big and heavy - but that can be advantage: heavier gear is easier to keep steady. And, of course, they take a pretty acceptable photo.

Not that good on a tripod though.. My old 5D was nearly blown over by the wind once, still kindda disappointed it didn't.. :(

So I'm a dinosaur - but don't forget they ruled the earth for about 185 millions years!

No need to throw away your existing toys. Use it as a second camera, for yourself or the missus ^_^...

Re tripod: just spread the legs a little wider! :lol:

Re second camera: No missus and no need for a second camera. (Well, I do have a P&S in the glovebox but I haven't used it for years.)

Re tripod: just spread the legs a little wider! :lol:

True.. ^_^ Wondering if this tripod toppling issue is common or not, seldom see me moving this fast... :wacko:

Re second camera: No missus and no need for a second camera. (Well, I do have a P&S in the glovebox but I haven't used it for years.)

Easy solution for that, get a missus.. ^_^

I wonder how this new EOS-M camera will cost.. But SWMBO is probably leaning more towards another Lumix again.

I reckon this thing is going to be a massive hit !

aps-c is its ace up its sleeve. though to be fair sony did that already with their nex range. but am guessing the canon owner base is huge.

GB I wouldnt be suprised how many canon dslr owners buy this thing as a second camera.

dont have to throw away the whole range of kit and given wiht adaptor it will take ef lenses that can only be a good thing. and adds to versatility. the mount/adapter looks lot better than I thought.

could just be a ideal travelling partner. but the lumix lx5 to hard to pass on ...lets see... ;)

Even though I _love_ my toys, I'm not even remotely interested in the new Canon or Lumix.

Like your good self I too enjoy the weight and feel of the DSLR

Unfortunately time is taking its toll on my body, and likewise we enjoy travelling. I don't want to end up in a situation like these

http://www.lightstalking.com/avoiding-scams-and-dangers-in-photography

This is why I'm looking for a good P&S or Bridge to carry around.

Re age: I know exactly what you mean but I'm off to Europe in about six weeks and the 5D3 and three lenses are coming with me. Have even bought a smaller (Lowepro) backpack that can come in the cabin with me (no way would I put the gear in the checked bag).

Re link: Looks very much like a "scare the pants off them and that'll make me look more knowledgeable" kind of article. I think you have travelled enough to know that most of these stories are BS. Yep, for sure, some people get ripped off, but it's not as bad as some would have you believe.

Re age: I know exactly what you mean but I'm off to Europe in about six weeks and the 5D3 and three lenses are coming with me. Have even bought a smaller (Lowepro) backpack that can come in the cabin with me (no way would I put the gear in the checked bag).

Re link: Looks very much like a "scare the pants off them and that'll make me look more knowledgeable" kind of article. I think you have travelled enough to know that most of these stories are BS. Yep, for sure, some people get ripped off, but it's not as bad as some would have you believe.

I guess it also reminds us to consider the possibilities of what could happen and to take some care with the gear.

I always take my camera gear on the plane with me as well.

But enough of that, I hope you have a wonderful trip, and don't forget to post some photos.

Thanks Minty. I'm having a few days in the UAE on the way back and I intend to hunt down some of the more photogenic scenes there. Old markets, especially a spice market, old fishing dhows...

My sis just msgd me.. Apparently the new Canon camera is in Singapore store now...

Maybe she'd buy that and give me her out dated 5D3 and anything else she has.. :P

As expected from my easily confused sister (runs in the family) - it's up for preorder only.. Meh..

Edited by myrantz

Another travel camera on my radar.

http://www.dpreview....umix-dmc-fz200/

Spearmint, I still have my Nikon superzoom F100? it was a good travel camera, but I have to say that the Lumix G3 with small and large zoom kit is a fabulous travel camera.

I think that the anti shake thing is getting bettere and better, night shots around Times Squae NY were sharp and great colour.

The truth is the big zoom is rarely used - only for specific shots - general photography is all with the smaller zoom 35 - 110- equiv.

Edited by Aloysius

Spearmint, I still have my Nikon superzoom F100? it was a good travel camera, but I have to say that the Lumix G3 with small and large zoom kit is a fabulous travel camera.

I think that the anti shake thing is getting bettere and better, night shots around Times Squae NY were sharp and great colour.

The truth is the big zoom is rarely used - only for specific shots - general photography is all with the smaller zoom 35 - 110- equiv.

This is one of the reasons I've not jumped on board as yet.

I'm looking for mirrorless with a large sensor. I would prefer crop sensor size, with 24mm thru ~120mm equiv f/2.8 zoom. It’s the wide end and speed I'm after.

The new Panasonic caught my eye with the speed of the lens.

This is one of the reasons I've not jumped on board as yet.

I'm looking for mirrorless with a large sensor. I would prefer crop sensor size, with 24mm thru ~120mm equiv f/2.8 zoom. It’s the wide end and speed I'm after.

The new Panasonic caught my eye with the speed of the lens.

Understand that!

I tried to pick up the 1.7f panny 4/3 wide angle in NY recently - sold out! Must be a few folks agreeing with you.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1343018249' post='1820683]

dont have to throw away the whole range of kit and given wiht adaptor it will take ef lenses that can only be a good thing. and adds to versatility. the mount/adapter looks lot better than I thought.

Don't get why they didn't just use the EF mount anyway then - rather than creating a new range of lens...

Don't get why they didn't just use the EF mount anyway then - rather than creating a new range of lens...

agree totally. dont understand it either. now have the EF lenses. EF-S lenses and now EF-M lenses ! atleast they have the adapter from day one. perhaps would have added a bit of bulk as in depth of the camera perhaps. maybe the new mount allows smaller form factor lenses and body dont know but introducing a new mount and need for adapters etc could have been avoided would have thought ?

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1343133441' post='1821047]

perhaps would have added a bit of bulk as in depth of the camera perhaps.

maybe the new mount allows smaller form factor lenses and body

From what I can find online they seem to be the two main reasons

But at least you can also do this

eosm800-575x383.jpg

Canon EOS M with the EF Adaptor & EF 800 f/5.6L IS