Camera & Photo Chat

Haven't even got a house yet. :D

But u need a camera for your HT build thread... :D

Be on the lookout for new lens/body in the coming world cup... Don't really know what it'd be yet, but prob Canon will have something.. And prob Nikon too...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But u need a camera for your HT build thread... :D

Be on the lookout for new lens/body in the coming world cup... Don't really know what it'd be yet, but prob Canon will have something.. And prob Nikon too...

The hope for me would that with a new model, the old ones might drop in price significantly!
The hope for me would that with a new model, the old ones might drop in price significantly!

True... No need for the latest and greatest.. They released new bodies/lens every year.. Think Canon just released a new camera the 550D..

• Moderators

some word about re a 60d to replace the 50d. I'd still get the 7D though instead ! definitely the sweet spot of the canon range. re latest and greatest definitely found a godo step up wth the 7D over the 40D but the 50D I know wasnt seen as a step up from the 40D more a refresh.

some word about re a 60d to replace the 50d. I'd still get the 7D though instead ! definitely the sweet spot of the canon range. re latest and greatest definitely found a godo step up wth the 7D over the 40D but the 50D I know wasnt seen as a step up from the 40D more a refresh.

Agreed. 7D is prob the choice camera right now for Canon bodies... Something worth upgrading to .. Still holding out till the 5D3 before making my own decision.

Edit: Out of curiosity.. u have a grip? 7D's grip has BT to connect to GPS module? I can prob google this, but i'm too lz rite now :ninja:.

Edited by treblid

Some of these cameras are more expensive than my house :mellow:

Im still totally happy with my little 16gb onboard SDHC expandable FS11

( am I allowed to mention a sub 1k camera ? ) :mellow::D

It is a Canon and Canon make some very fine cameras.

45X optical zoom,

HD cameras dont come close to that amount of zoom do they ?

• Moderators
Agreed. 7D is prob the choice camera right now for Canon bodies... Something worth upgrading to .. Still holding out till the 5D3 before making my own decision.

Edit: Out of curiosity.. u have a grip? 7D's grip has BT to connect to GPS module? I can prob google this, but i'm too lz rite now :ninja:.

yeah if thinking 5Dmk2 then 5Dmk3 probably highest on the mind ! in the mean tiem though the 7D will do me :D

hehe no havent got a grip on things hehe. nah no idea. gps on a camera ? yeesh next they'll ...cant bear the thought ! :o

Im still totally happy with my little 16gb onboard SDHC expandable FS11

( am I allowed to mention a sub 1k camera ? ) :mellow::D

It is a Canon and Canon make some very fine cameras.

45X optical zoom,

nothing wrong with 1 megapixel. 1st dig camera I had was an olympus 1 mega pixel. took amazing pics actually. all down to the top quality glass lens they put in it. unlike the cheap plastic lenses they tend to squash in most point and shoot cameras. the one megapixel also gave excellent 4x6 photo prints. most people over estimate how many pixels we actually need !

They are far cheaper overseas.. :ninja:

45X optical zoom,

Ah.. The resolving ability of a camera sensor is pretty good.. You'd be amazed at how much info it can capture.. :wub:

yeah if thinking 5Dmk2 then 5Dmk3 probably highest on the mind ! in the mean tiem though the 7D will do me :D

THinking only.. TBH I suck at photography.. :lol: Don't have the eye for it I guess... :(

Try and add a grip.. the whole body seems more balanced with it.. But YMMV ... :P

nothing wrong with 1 megapixel. 1st dig camera I had was an olympus 1 mega pixel. took amazing pics actually. all down to the top quality glass lens they put in it. unlike the cheap plastic lenses they tend to squash in most point and shoot cameras. the one megapixel also gave excellent 4x6 photo prints. most people over estimate how many pixels we actually need !

+1.. Although depends on how big the prints need to be though, and how much to crop... I'd try to do some big prints in time to come (got hold of 10m roll of matt canvas, and wife's workplace has a canvas printer)...

And add the video aspect and it's hard to beat at the mo.
  • Moderators
~

Try and add a grip.. the whole body seems more balanced with it.. But YMMV ... :P

~

hehe the 24-105L series makes a very nice grip ! :D

~

+1.. Although depends on how big the prints need to be though, and how much to crop... I'd try to do some big prints in time to come (got hold of 10m roll of matt canvas, and wife's workplace has a canvas printer)...

true, 1mp for 4x6 is good, at a stretch can take that out to a4 size....just !

And add the video aspect and it's hard to beat at the mo.

to be honest lyle for video, the 7D can produces a spectacular result, but its not as good in use as a standalone hd camcorder. The hd handy cam much simpler and easier to use and more suited to impromptu video eg filming kids and pets etc something you can just grab and use, point and shoot. the 7D takes a lot more effort as a HD cam and can be clumsy at times. I never ended up selling our pana hd cam for this very reason !

hehe the 24-105L series makes a very nice grip ! :D

Try it.. It really does work.. :) 24-105 is by far my favourite lens... But then I only have 2.. :lol: Still saving.

true, 1mp for 4x6 is good, at a stretch can take that out to a4 size....just !

I'm gonna do bigger than that.. as a cover for acoustic panels which I'd hope to try and make later this year (if all goes well)... I know canvas prob wouldn't do a good job, but hopefully it'd be goof WAF... My main worry of coz is mega pixels and resolution of that printer, but hopefully can use software to enlarge 'em.. And worse come to worse i'd get my friend to take some pics. :)

to be honest lyle for video, the 7D can produces a spectacular result, but its not as good in use as a standalone hd camcorder. The hd handy cam much simpler and easier to use and more suited to impromptu video eg filming kids and pets etc something you can just grab and use, point and shoot. the 7D takes a lot more effort as a HD cam and can be clumsy at times. I never ended up selling our pana hd cam for this very reason !

To be honest for video 5D2 is king (the latest firmware is supposed to do all HD formats but I didn't really check).. :ninja: e.g. House season final is shot in 5D2. Somebody even rip out the mirror for it to be a video camera.

I'm hoping the future of photography will be more cinematography. Which really makes it a difficult choice for me.. But no matter, i'm still learning with my current body. :lol:

On the 7D, anybody got a remote control? Looking for one for use with the macro lens and with "Bulb" exposures.

I must admit that I'm being a bit lazy here as I haven't done that much homework myself.

On the 7D, anybody got a remote control? Looking for one for use with the macro lens and with "Bulb" exposures.

I must admit that I'm being a bit lazy here as I haven't done that much homework myself.

Wired or wireless?? 7D uses the 3N connection right? There's a canon wired remote, for bulb u just move this switch which basically keeps the button pressed.

Unsure abt wireless, still looking for one myself (Wanted something that uses non "exotic" batteries).

TC80N3 Timer remote, or RS 80N3...

You can prob get OEM ones which are cheaper.. But the RS80N3 works quite well..

Edited by treblid
Wired or wireless?? 7D uses the 3N connection right? There's a canon wired remote, for bulb u just move this switch which basically keeps the button pressed.

Unsure abt wireless, still looking for one myself (Wanted something that uses non "exotic" batteries).

TC80N3 Timer remote, or RS 80N3...

You can prob get OEM ones which are cheaper.. But the RS80N3 works quite well..

I'd rather have a wireless one.

I'd rather have a wireless one.

Sneaky... :lol:

Ebay have lots (but I'm sure u checked already).. Not sure any have bulb modes though, but maybe there are more models available now...

Sneaky... :lol:

Ebay have lots (but I'm sure u checked already).. Not sure any have bulb modes though, but maybe there are more models available now...

When I say "bulb" I mean holding the shutter open for as long as you want. You can't really do this without some sort of remote control as the vibration of your finger on the shutter button will ruin any shot.

When I say "bulb" I mean holding the shutter open for as long as you want. You can't really do this without some sort of remote control as the vibration of your finger on the shutter button will ruin any shot.

Yup.. The canon wired remotes I linked does do bulb, burst, etc... Even a handy switch to keep the button pressed (which is an important feature).

But the wireless remotes I've seen last time (been a while now) don't have that switch to keep the button pressed.

• Moderators
~

To be honest for video 5D2 is king (the latest firmware is supposed to do all HD formats but I didn't really check).. :ninja: e.g. House season final is shot in 5D2. Somebody even rip out the mirror for it to be a video camera.

I'm hoping the future of photography will be more cinematography. Which really makes it a difficult choice for me.. But no matter, i'm still learning with my current body. :lol:

nothing wrong with the PQ of the 7D for hd video treb it is capable of spectacular output especially being a slr with the choice of using various lens on it. its just in use an slr is nothing like a regular hd camcorder for video. if you just want to pick one up, point shoot, pan zoom, auto focus etc a slr is a bit of a pig in that role and better off with a handy cam.

nothing wrong with the PQ of the 7D for hd video treb it is capable of spectacular output especially being a slr with the choice of using various lens on it. its just in use an slr is nothing like a regular hd camcorder for video. if you just want to pick one up, point shoot, pan zoom, auto focus etc a slr is a bit of a pig in that role and better off with a handy cam.

So u seldom use the video feature?

So u seldom use the video feature?

My friend uses his a lot and absolutely loves it.

He is into HD video in a big way having just spent $10K on a computer with Edius (Grass Valley) software and hardware.

He also has an HD video camera but all he seems to use these days is the 7D.

Tells me a lot.

My friend uses his a lot and absolutely loves it.

He is into HD video in a big way having just spent $10K on a computer with Edius (Grass Valley) software and hardware.

He also has an HD video camera but all he seems to use these days is the 7D.

Tells me a lot.

There's really a lot to like about the 7D spec wise... But I'm resisting the temptation.. You should get one :ninja:, after the house expenses are accounted for that is... :D

Or wait for the next release and get this on the run out. Invest in lens, bodies come and goes... :ninja:

There's really a lot to like about the 7D spec wise... But I'm resisting the temptation.. You should get one :ninja: , after the house expenses are accounted for that is... :D

Or wait for the next release and get this on the run out. Invest in lens, bodies come and goes... :ninja:

In the queue after PJ/screen and speakers. LOL
  • 3 months later...
  • Moderators
More goodies..

EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

60D

EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM fisheye

300,400, 500, 600 primes.

And new extenders III

A bit interested in the 70-300 for travel... And the fisheye (pretty sure it's gonna be very expensive), and of coz the extenders... Better start saving now... Don't think the Mrs is gonna be happy..... Hiaz.....

thanks for the headsup treb. damn, that 70-300 looks tasty, been meaning to update my nearly antique rubbish 75-300 with somethign more decent ! . but damn have put myself on a 6 month sebatical with the new job and all that. going to be screaming out to buy one of these at the end of it ! now why did they make it white !

interesting the 60D has now shrunk and gone down market with plastic body, and repositioned the 7D on mantle of their mid range camera.