Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

good service from teds the 40mm turned up in the mail this morning ! and it is a cute little thing but well made. have taken a couple of shots been impressed so far. a very nice general use walk around lens :) could be real handy for video as well. will try it for that as well.

I should download the latest 5D3 firmware as understand it has the presets for the 40mm.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342164358' post='1818678]

good service from teds the 40mm turned up in the mail this morning ! and it is a cute little thing but well made. have taken a couple of shots been impressed so far. a very nice general use walk around lens :) could be real handy for video as well. will try it for that as well.

Nice!!! :wub: :wub:

Picked up the new Tamron 24-70mm lens for the Canon yesterday, couldn't justify the difference for the new Canon L lens. Grabbed a Manfrotto tripod and head and still saved over $1000. I know Tamron can be a bit hit and miss, reports on the new 24-70 had all been positive I could find and so far very happy. Will know more when I can get a day out to play with it.

Edited by SDL

congrats ! SDL look forward to seeing some pics with the new additions :D

Picked up the new Tamron 24-70mm lens for the Canon yesterday, couldn't justify the difference for the new Canon L lens. Grabbed a Manfrotto tripod and head and still saved over $1000. I know Tamron can be a bit hit and miss, reports on the new 24-70 had all been positive I could find and so far very happy. Will know more when I can get a day out to play with it.

Nice again!!! Everybody I know seem to be upgrading their gear and lens left right centre in recent days... Done the taxes already?

Anyway Tamron make good glass, this 24-70mm should be very good... if anything the only downside may well be at the wider angle (and prob just 24mm)? If you have a APS-C sensor this is a non issue at all.

Congratulations SDL, I look forward to some of the results from it.

Nice again!!! Everybody I know seem to be upgrading their gear and lens left right centre in recent days... Done the taxes already?

Anyway Tamron make good glass, this 24-70mm should be very good... if anything the only downside may well be at the wider angle (and prob just 24mm)? If you have a APS-C sensor this is a non issue at all.

What is the downside, and why not with an APS-C sensor?

There is one downside to the ultra-wide lenses on a FF: When taking a landscape shot shortly after dawn and looking away from the sun it is damned nigh impossible not get get your own shadow in the frame.

Of course, there is also the problem, regardless of the time, of getting your own feet in the bottom of the frame. A crop sensor almost eliminates this problem but I'll "suffer" through with the 5D3. :winky:

Congratulations SDL, I look forward to some of the results from it.

Been waiting for pics and videos (with Al's 40mm STM) for ages.. :( Kindda expect more given the school holidays LOL... I guess the forum interim upgrade isn't helping things much (prob can't even upload)...

What is the downside, and why not with an APS-C sensor?

APS-C use the sweet spot of the FF lens, where optical quality is at it's best... It's not a big deal really now as most post processing can correct these errors (if shot in RAW mode)...

Unfortunately FF canon cameras can't use both types of lens like the Nikons can. Don't have a built in intervolmeter (sp?) too.. Have been considering for a while, and more seriously of late, but OTOH I still havn't fully utilise my camera yet. Honestly I never liked the Nikons before until you showed up :P...

Used to find the colours way too saturated and seems to lack depth, but then your pictures don't have all the pet stereotypes I attached to Nikons (so indeed it's really more about the photographer than the gear, and how the photographer adapt to the gear).

The downside of changing is pretty big - what if I change and the pics still sucked? :lol: :lol:

There is one downside to the ultra-wide lenses on a FF: When taking a landscape shot shortly after dawn and looking away from the sun it is damned nigh impossible not get get your own shadow in the frame.

But that's ultra wide though? There are some good photo ideas there - The landscape and your shadow.

Of course, there is also the problem, regardless of the time, of getting your own feet in the bottom of the frame. A crop sensor almost eliminates this problem but I'll "suffer" through with the 5D3. :winky:

LOL.. You wouldn't suffer with a 5D3 <3... :wub:

Been waiting for pics and videos (with Al's 40mm STM) for ages.. :( Kindda expect more given the school holidays LOL... I guess the forum interim upgrade isn't helping things much (prob can't even upload)...

APS-C use the sweet spot of the FF lens, where optical quality is at it's best... It's not a big deal really now as most post processing can correct these errors (if shot in RAW mode)...

Unfortunately FF canon cameras can't use both types of lens like the Nikons can. Don't have a built in intervolmeter (sp?) too.. Have been considering for a while, and more seriously of late, but OTOH I still havn't fully utilise my camera yet. Honestly I never liked the Nikons before until you showed up :P...

Used to find the colours way too saturated and seems to lack depth, but then your pictures don't have all the pet stereotypes I attached to Nikons (so indeed it's really more about the photographer than the gear, and how the photographer adapt to the gear).

The downside of changing is pretty big - what if I change and the pics still sucked? :lol: :lol:

I have to agree Al's been a bit slack in the photo posting of late :D

And yes I agree with your sentiments regarding using FF lenses on crop bodies, however you also change the angle of view, so is using a Nikon the 24mm effectively becomes 36mm

Just give some love...

NSW-043.jpg

NSW-044.jpg

NSW-045.jpg

Yup agreed on the angle of view, the best spot of the lens too..

Ah pics :wub: :wub:.. Yours? That last shot looked a bit like Singapore :P... Actually I thought it was but then it's shot in NSW? (No exif reader at work)

Hopefully SDL and Al can post pics soon.. Interested with these new lens...

Yes all taken in Sydney a few weeks ago.

lovely pics spearmint !

treb sorry only been taking pics/video of family and kids and like so not anything can post here :P

but never know might get a chance to grab some pics over coming weeks. if any interesting subject matter will be sure to post back :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342692272' post='1819903]

treb sorry only been taking pics/video of family and kids and like so not anything can post here :P

No worries, but weeks :cry: :cry: ? :P No hurry, i'd be waiting...

Jul 23 announcement for Canon fans apparently... a few more sleeps to go... Wondering if they're gonna have a mirrorless version anytime soon. :drool:

No worries, but weeks :cry: :cry: ? :P No hurry, i'd be waiting...

Jul 23 announcement for Canon fans apparently... a few more sleeps to go... Wondering if they're gonna have a mirrorless version anytime soon. :drool:

Hehe,

Be interesting what the mirror less thing is. Canon needs it. Nikon and other makers got the jump on em. I only hope they make the mirror less able to take standard canon lenses. Rather than develop a whole new range as other makers have. They already have a huge range of lenses to choose from. Can't see how makes sense to develop more.

Some rumours of full frame non metal bodied slr. I guess a fit between 60D and 7D, 5D I guess :)

One other strange bit of news I saw is Panasonic has released an update of the Lumix lx5. It is the lx7 but strangely it has a smaller sensor ? Bizare! Where every maker is trying to go bigger in sensor size don't understand this move in opposite direction with the lx7 !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342756935' post='1820026]

I only hope they make the mirror less able to take standard canon lenses.

Looking at the pancake 40mm. There's a good possibility there (disclaimer: pure speculation)... And the CF will probably be 2x to make it 80mm equiv?

Looking at the pancake 40mm. There's a good possibility there (disclaimer: pure speculation)... And the CF will probably be 2x to make it 80mm equiv?

yep would find it hard to believe with lenses like that they wouldnt be just perfect on a mirror/prism less design. anyways lets see.

The issue I have currently with the many of the mirrorless cameras is at the wide end (or lack there of).

I've been eyeing off the Olympus OM-D E-M5, but need to pull my head in for a while.

It'll be interesting to see what Canon release, and what sensors they end up using.

so far the canon rumour site is basing the below as a cr3 as in take it as fact,

We should see the new Canon mirrorless next Monday, details are still being confirmed about specifications and all that.

Don’t expect anything too “retro” or “rangefinder-esque”, as this is going to be a mass market consumer electronics type of camera. It’ll be more Nikon 1 than Fuji X-Pro 1.

I will post more when I can, a lot of what’s going around is pretty contradictory. Canon seems to have done a good job plugging leaks. :)

so looks like be more like nikon have out spearmint. but yeah looks like we will know soon enough...

wow interesting find. you never know. that it has the "eos" moniker I wonder if that means it will take EOS lenses ? or does EF-M mean that is a new mount system. EF-M for mirrorless ? anyways lets see.... very curious what they come up with here :)

canon rumours has it posted on their site too now I see, saying that is it.

http://www.canonrumo...ith-ef-m-mount/

edit, re the name "EF-M" if the case it could be canon reviving a bit of history there,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF-M

Some more from two weeks ago

Those are some really lovely photos spearmint.

Very impressive!

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1342692272' post='1819903]

lovely pics spearmint !

Those are some really lovely photos spearmint.

Very impressive!

Thanks Guys, I'm glad you like them!

Canon EOS M Specifications

The Canon EOS M that launches tomorrow will have the following specifications. Beyond the camera, the system will launch with 2 lenses, the EF-M 22 f/2 STM & EF-M 18-55 IS. It will also launch with a new flash, the EX 90 and an EF lens adaptor.

• 18mp APS-C
  • DIGIC V
  • ISO 100-12800 (25,600 Expansion)
  • 3″ Touchscreen 1.04million pixels
  • Phase & Contrast AF
  • Video Servo AF
  • 1920×1080 Video 30p/25p/24p
  • 1280×720 Video 60p/50p
  • MPEG-4, AVC/H.264
  • SD Card
  • Adaptor at launch for EF lenses

Additional specs from [DCI]

• Hand-held Twilight mode, to help with long exposures in low light.
  • Multi-shot noise reduction function that helps reduce the noise by combining four images.
  • The usual creative filters
  • HDR mode to synthesize three different exposures
  • Camera size: 66.5mm (width) 108.6mm (height) x 32.3mm (depth)
  • The weight (body only) 262g, (including battery and memory card) 298g

looks like aps-c 18mp sensor, and lauching with an adapter to take canon ef lenses. which is good to see. still wonder though if it is an aps-c format camera why on earth have they developed a whole new mount system needing an adapter to take any of canons already huge range of lenses ???