Camera & Photo Chat

No, a little chicken and still coming to terms with all the fanciful extras this beast has over the 300D.

Added to that the new lenses I had got and there;'s plenty in standard form that is keeping me busy for now.

Certainly a bit of a learning curve shooting with shallower DoF with a f/2.8. I have also now ordered a 50mm f/1.8 for $90 to have a bit of a play with especially around the DoF. I know the PQ is best when stopped to f/2.8, but looking forward to playing around with it f/1.8 for the experience.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, a little chicken and still coming to terms with all the fanciful extras this beast has over the 300D.

Added to that the new lenses I had got and there;'s plenty in standard form that is keeping me busy for now.

Certainly a bit of a learning curve shooting with shallower DoF with a f/2.8. I have also now ordered a 50mm f/1.8 for $90 to have a bit of a play with especially around the DoF. I know the PQ is best when stopped to f/2.8, but looking forward to playing around with it f/1.8 for the experience.

A mate was just raving about a 50 mm he just bought, me too re ml firmware ill think ill wait for the beta version.

I've got a 10-22 and 17-85 plus the 70-200 I'm not sure I need a 50 for what I shoot although always good to have options

Good deal on 5D3 if anyone's in the market... http://groupbuy.ebay.com.au/deal?itemId=140947621641

Saw this but like diesel still getting onto the 7d, going through my shots from last weekends race can already see the improvement with the Uzi, only problem lots more to filter through

Saw this but like diesel still getting onto the 7d, going through my shots from last weekends race can already see the improvement with the Uzi, only problem lots more to filter through

Yeah, I thought about it, but think I'll wait for the 7d2. Probably about the same $$$

• Moderators

Maybe there's a new 5D coming as well

no way. 5D 3 just released not that long ago. 5D model runs based on past 5D, 5D2 have been 2.5-3.5 years :)

I've got a 10-22

How do you find the 10-22mm.

I've been also looking at a UWA and this is an option. Tokina has a model that a few people like, but I prefer to buy Canon lenses.

Was also tossing up maybe a 17-40L as I can always continue with this if/when I move to FF...

It would be good if Canon released a 15mm f/4 or a 12-24mm though the latter would be incredibly expensive I'd imagine.

only problem lots more to filter through

Yeah, one thing I notice is that I have become lazier in timing my trigger finger to get the right shot.

So I made a conscious decision with Soccer season to try and only fire off 2-3 frames per 'shot' and time it better to get the shot I'm after.

It's great that 3rd party manufacturers can identify holes in Canon's lens lineup, and fill them.

Just hear/read a lot of stories about QC issues with Sigma.

Their 35mm f/1.4 looks a cracker!

• Moderators

It's great that 3rd party manufacturers can identify holes in Canon's lens lineup, and fill them.

Just hear/read a lot of stories about QC issues with Sigma.

Their 35mm f/1.4 looks a cracker!

I put my name down for the sigma 35 f1.4 though its backordered on a wait list now so goodness knows when will ever get one ! sold off my 50 1.4 so hoping the sigma a good replacement

ps have the canon 17-40 F4 L and it is an absolute beauty of a lens :)

The Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM is the best lens I've got. At 16mm on the 5D3 you have to be pretty careful not to get your own feet in the frame. For landscape work it cannot be beaten. Yes, there is a 14mm prime but on a FF it would be a bit superfluous. (I used to lust over that one until I got to know the capabilities of the 16-35/5D3 combination).

Love my Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 Diesel. Lyle has one too, both on 7D's. I've not tried the canon, but the sigma is a cracker.

BTW, for anyone looking to buy or sell any gear, this new site might be worth checking out http://www.cameratrade.com.au

There's an 8-16 F4.5 on that site for a 7D

There was only like 5 lenses for sale on there - or am I mussing something?

No mate, the site only went live a few days ago. Being that it's a public trade site it'll take some time to get busy.

Mind you, with second hand items going up on there for more than you'd pay for a grey import, it may never take off.

Edited by Gutty

Canon 17-40mm f/4 just listed at $350. Be a good buy for someone after a wide angle for a full frame body.

Is that yours Mav ? Or someone else ?

Edited by Gutty

Just been looking on gumtree, lots of lens's. Anyone have a 580ex ii?

Yeah but hardly use it TBH... The only times now is to use it in day time to remove shadows (if there's no other way)... Yet to try off shoe flash or strobe though...

BTW, stuck thrifty fifty? Try this....

• Moderators

Just been looking on gumtree, lots of lens's. Anyone have a 580ex ii?

yep had my 580exii for a few years now. works fine does the job. I mainly use it pointing upwards using the white plastic reflector for a bit of fill/bounce flash. not ever use it for more than that, very subtle compared to the direct flash. :)

Yet to try off shoe flash or strobe though...

I was at the Opera House last Friday. I have started going for walks on Friday lunchtimes with the camera just shooting stuff and trying stuff.

Anyway, it was a glarery day, and I noticed a couple of tourists where one guy was using the flash by holding it high above his head but pointed towards the subject, and then shooting. It was midday so sun was directly above, though a bit cloudy.

I supposed he was doing it for some fill flash, but I'm sure the subject was pretty well lit from above already.

Yeah but hardly use it TBH... The only times now is to use it in day time to remove shadows (if there's no other way)... Yet to try off shoe flash or strobe though...

BTW, stuck thrifty fifty? Try this....

Must remember this, just in case I'm ever in the nifty fifty situation. I've just been looking on ebay for a cheapish flash, found a 550 going for 100 bucks at the moment or 580's around 300.

My wife found this for me http://www.school.djbworldphotography.com/sydney-photography-walk-workshop/ particularly interested in the night one.

I was at the Opera House last Friday. I have started going for walks on Friday lunchtimes with the camera just shooting stuff and trying stuff.

nice!

Anyway, it was a glarery day, and I noticed a couple of tourists where one guy was using the flash by holding it high above his head but pointed towards the subject, and then shooting. It was midday so sun was directly above, though a bit cloudy.

Is he using a Nikon? I don't think canon bodies can do that (not without additional accessories anyway).

I supposed he was doing it for some fill flash, but I'm sure the subject was pretty well lit from above already.

He's probably trying to light the darker spots in a attempt to remove any unwanted shadows so to get a better exposure of foreground and background...

Not a good idea usually but as tourists and pressed for time, it's a good quick fix :P..

Don't have a good examples but something like this I guess.

8677010626_1bf62ce66a_b.jpg

without a bit of bounce flash, I couldn't get the background and foreground exposed the way I want. The foreground is actually totally shaded by the forest canopy and if I expose to the spider the background may blow out.

This is where the sun is directly behind the subject.

8675937081_4d18c97a99_b.jpg

Without lighting the foreground the statues will become silhouettes.. I was hoping to get a star burst or some flares happening but as usual it didn't work.. :/

These are the two usual cases where I use the flash, otherwise I just use available light.. There are more creative flash methods, but I'm just using the easy way for now.. :P.

Must remember this, just in case I'm ever in the nifty fifty situation. I've just been looking on ebay for a cheapish flash, found a 550 going for 100 bucks at the moment or 580's around 300.

Flash guns like bodies have a limited lifespan.. Good price though so worth a punt..

My wife found this for me http://www.school.dj...-walk-workshop/ particularly interested in the night one.

Looks interesting. I like the way he calls it an "investment"... lol. cheeky! You have a tripod yet? Night photography will probably need one.

My wife found this for me http://www.school.dj...-walk-workshop/ particularly interested in the night one.

Mate, you'd probably find a 430EX II will be fine for 99% of situations... and can be had new for under $300.

Heck i only have a 320... but then i rarely even use that.

Mate, you'd probably find a 430EX II will be fine for 99% of situations... and can be had new for under $300.

It depends on the situation though?.. If you like to bounce the light off the ceiling, or a wall, or something else - then in general the 580 is the more flexible option as it has more power.

Having said that, just realised 580 ex II has been discontinued.. The 600 seems to be more expensive than the 580... Not really worth the money if not going to use fancy features.

My first attempt at bounce flash for some work product images... yeah yeah... i know. I laugh at my reflection in them too ! *slaps self*

Is that a carpet or? If not carpet, where did you get that from?

I'm still amazed at how reflections can be caught sometimes - in the eyes, from anything reflective really. Esp love it when the eyes catch the reflection. :P

Is that a carpet or? If not carpet, where did you get that from?

It's just some black nylon type carpet my secretary brought in.

Black felt works well too, or for a slightly different effect velvet or satin/silk

It's just some black nylon type carpet my secretary brought in.

Black felt works well too, or for a slightly different effect velvet or satin/silk

satin and silk will reflect a bit though.. For now I'm looking for something like what you have - material that don't reflect much. Shouldn't be too hard to find I think, but seems I'm always lazy and never got around to it... :(

Are you using soft boxes in the second pic?

True, thinking about a yongnuo one, pretty good value for what you get. Were you bouncing your flash off the ceiling?

Edited by com5984

Is he using a Nikon? I don't think canon bodies can do that (not without additional accessories anyway).

I think he might have, but I'm pretty sure the 7D and possibly newer Canons can control off camera slave flash but difficult in outdoor situations without a IR emitting flash control

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=767760

It's certainly an art to understanding light and how to use it/avoid traps...

I was looking at this today as well, the cheap chinese flash I bought will do it too. Plus it will do high speed sync, which the 7D won't do remotely but I'm still trying to determine if it will do it when on board, also I like the idea of the second curtain flash. I saw a youtube video of a nikon doing basically the same thing where the flash is at the end of the exposure not the beginning, he did it both at the start and ay the end and the latter was better.

Was this guy ripped off, seems a lot of money for a 12 mp camera

http://www.ebay.com....=item5654fd3d04

Edited by com5984

satin and silk will reflect a bit though.. For now I'm looking for something like what you have - material that don't reflect much. Shouldn't be too hard to find I think, but seems I'm always lazy and never got around to it... :(

Are you using soft boxes in the second pic?

Black felt then. Maybe try an art/craft shop.

The second pic was done in a friends studio, not sure what lighting as I didn't take it.

True, thinking about a yongnuo one, pretty good value for what you get. Were you bouncing your flash off the ceiling?

Yeah, just a white ceiling..

Edited by Gutty

I ordered TC80N3 intervalometer and remote release for the 7D. Went with eBay and got one which arrived today. Definitely looks like a cheap chinese knock-off. While the price I paid seems fair for the goods received, it's a bit disheartening if they are advertising it as such and it's a KIRF.

Will do some testing, maybe Friday, back at the Opera house and see if I can take enough shots for a 10 sec timelapse. Was really inspired by this series....

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/time_lapse/laforet_time_lapse_basics.shtml

Was this guy ripped off, seems a lot of money for a 12 mp camera

http://www.ebay.com....=item5654fd3d04

I know it's a D3s so a very capable camera, but $3k seems a little rich for a 2nd hand unit