Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Gee.. Hadn't thought of that... :( How's the Digic5+ on the 5D3? Is it any good? Try shooting in JPEG instead?

While I'm pro RAW, I'm kindda turned off by it now.. With my camera it does produce better result, but modern cameras may do a good job now?

RAW files, it's so much work... :(

That's just the comment I expect from a person who thinks that digital music is fit to listen to! :wacko::winky:

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1336120415' post='1802262]

yeah so basically they cant do any better. anyways decided to take advantage of their special price which is pretty close to the us price, so went past there from work and grabbed one before the special offer ended today. also grabbed a teds 5 year warranty as well for the piece of mind given how pricey the thing is :)

Yes, I was asked whether I wanted the extended warranty. I didn't go for it. (Crosses fingers!)

That's just the comment I expect from a person who thinks that digital music is fit to listen to! :wacko::winky:

You calling me lazy? :P Guilty... ^_^...

Seriously though, you or al, show me some full rez pics taken with 5D3...

Congratulations Al

Got any photos to show us? :)

thanks spearmint

just one quick pic of the backyard is all. am impressed the increased width of the full frame.

post-2123-0-57708500-1336133247_thumb.jp

~

Yes, I was asked whether I wanted the extended warranty. I didn't go for it. (Crosses fingers!)

yeah given the price of the thing I thought some peace of mind might be a good thing. he misquoted it for $129 for 5 years so ended with $30 discount for the extended warranty.

Gee.. Hadn't thought of that... :( How's the Digic5+ on the 5D3? Is it any good? Try shooting in JPEG instead?

While I'm pro RAW, I'm kindda turned off by it now.. With my camera it does produce better result, but modern cameras may do a good job now?

RAW files, it's so much work... :(

curiously I dont know what the preset its on. but out of box when download pics of the card it actually loads up two forms of each pic one RAW around 30Mb and one jpeg around 8Mb. the raws clearly look heaps better. infact I was wondering why there were two of each pic and why in each case one was washed out vs the other. then realised the more richer looking pics were Raws. theyre a killer for size though !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1336133757' post='1802314]

curiously I dont know what the preset its on. but out of box when download pics of the card it actually loads up two forms of each pic one RAW around 30Mb and one jpeg around 8Mb. the raws clearly look heaps better. infact I was wondering why there were two of each pic and why in each case one was washed out vs the other. then realised the more richer looking pics were Raws. theyre a killer for size though !

You should be able to alter the JPEG (saturation, brightness, etc)? Have two pics prob coz you shoot RAW+JPEG?

Will be nice to use dcraw (or LR) and compare the RAW->JPEG vs JPEG from Digic5... Purely for interest sake...

So I'm guessing your firm on selling the 7D? I'm still weighing my options, give me an offer I can't refuse... :hyper: :hyper:

You should be able to alter the JPEG (saturation, brightness, etc)? Have two pics prob coz you shoot RAW+JPEG?

Will be nice to use dcraw (or LR) and compare the RAW->JPEG vs JPEG from Digic5... Purely for interest sake...

So I'm guessing your firm on selling the 7D? I'm still weighing my options, give me an offer I can't refuse... :hyper: :hyper:

went to bed quite late last night reading and learning and mucking around with the 5D. the low iso capability of it is astounding ! but wow so many settings. heck some of them probably on the 7D too and just never discovered ! :D

yep 7D up for sale

FS Canon 7D DSLR, Mint with box, manual, accessories and original receipt

Item : Canon 7D DSLR, Mint with box, manual, accessories and original receipt

Price: $1,000 plus postage (please contact me for an estimate anywhere in australia)

Item Condition: Mint as new, perfect working condition, Comes in original box, original receipt, All manual, accessories, charger, cables, software, original packaging etc are all included.

Reason for selling: Upgrade

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD, direct bank deposit

Extra Info: can be found here

http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/EOS-Digital-SLR-Cameras/7D

photos to follow,

Note this item is in as new mint condition and been very well cared for. Am the original owner and this camera I bought locally, have the original receipt and is genuine canon australia supported. Also note in purchasing I paid on amex for additional warranty which I would make sure any potential purchaser is covered for till september this year. I paid $2,500 for this originally to buy new today it has a rrp of $1,650. Cheapest have seen it go for a legitimate canon australian model is $1499. So quite a saving here for a mint example here that is as new.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1336133599' post='1802313]

thanks spearmint

just one quick pic of the backyard is all. am impressed the increased width of the full frame.

Thanks for posting the image. It looks great straight out of the camera.

Welcome to the world of FF. The 16-35 is my most used lens on the FF body, with the 24-70 coming in second.

Besides the extra width, I think you'll also enjoy the increase in dynamic range from the new sensor.

That is not as easy as it seems. The RAW->JPEG performed by the camera depends on the WB and other parameters you select. If you use the Canon software these parameters are communicated to the software and the JPEG produced from the matching RAW image "should" be the same. If not using the Canon software, then the whole comparison is not possible.

The whole reason for capturing in RAW is so that you can tweak those parameters

That is not as easy as it seems. The RAW->JPEG performed by the camera depends on the WB and other parameters you select. If you use the Canon software these parameters are communicated to the software and the JPEG produced from the matching RAW image "should" be the same. If not using the Canon software, then the whole comparison is not possible.

The whole reason for capturing in RAW is so that you can tweak those parameters

:poke: Perfectionist... Do see your point though....

Well, enjoy the weekend guys... :wub: :wub:

Thanks for posting the image. It looks great straight out of the camera.

Welcome to the world of FF. The 16-35 is my most used lens on the FF body, with the 24-70 coming in second.

Besides the extra width, I think you'll also enjoy the increase in dynamic range from the new sensor.

yeah was just a quick shot out the camera, caught a bit of morning sun,

post-2123-0-11781600-1336178264_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-87475800-1336178231_thumb.jp

again just some quick shots, havent taken a lot of care to be honest, was just trying see what the metering on the camera is like.

spearmint I think your right re the dynamic range of the sensor. I'm definitely noticing a richness/depth to the pictures its taking, and ability light and shade is good I think. so far have used my 17-40, 24-105 nad my 50 1.4 loving the adiditional width and also my 50 1.4 I must say though been away from it a while is a lot more useable a lens. the 24-105 is much more versatile. and the 17-40 taking just so much more which is all great both indoors and out :)

ps treb, re raw, have gone back to jpeg, but only because raw is such a space gobbler. but I have to admit the difference in raw vs jpeg is stark ! I think am going to be using RAW a lot more !

A while ago I started recording in both RAW and JPEG. I use the JPEG as a guide to the colours I saw.

I do this because I was doing some processing on an image months after the shot was taken. My problem was that I couldn't remember the hues. As it was a particularly subtle but spectacular sunrise, it was difficult to get right.

Thanks folks.

Don't forget that he who dies with the most toys wins is still dead!

we headed for the hills today guys and took the 5D3 and 24-105L with me,

post-2123-0-57685400-1336213401_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-99696300-1336213348_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-66009400-1336213356_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-86510900-1336213369_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-83797600-1336213363_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-35478000-1336213377_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-01200600-1336213384_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-41901800-1336213388_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-88093100-1336213395_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-49824600-1336213407_thumb.jp

found the 24-105 pretty versatile but wish had taken my macro lens with me !

I also for the first time found I struggled with a couple of things. one is focusing and also length ! I think its the 8 years or so of using a crop camera got used to a certain amount of telephoto. felt I wanted to get a bit closer but then got caught in being too close to focus hehe.

definitely a case of getting used to full frame :D

with focusing, need to get used to the default focus methods on the 5D3, theres a few to choose from so matter of picking what best suits at times.

on other hand thing I like is the mode selector on the 5D3 has a lock on it which is good as dont bump it by accident as did at times on the 7D.

love the camera though. that it has the exact same body as the 7D I think helps as feels exactly the same. Not like something new to get used to in that regard.

Congrats on the new toys Al & GB!

Feel the width!!

thanks mm, definitely getting the size of it :D

Good results Al

Certainly has nice contrast and saturation.

I took a number of photos today, but the weather was pretty feral most of the day :(

RedHillMay2012-6.jpg

RedHillMay2012-7.jpg

RedHillMay2012-8.jpg

All taken with the 16-35 while it was raining :(

Edited by Spearmint

looks like a nice vineyard there spearmint, caught some lovely autumn colours.

yeah pretty filthy weather today. we had a few little strolls through a garden and around the place where took a few snaps but yeah mostly indoors for most of the day !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1336214214' post='1802558]

with focusing, need to get used to the default focus methods on the 5D3, theres a few to choose from so matter of picking what best suits at times.

Would like more info on that pls, since you and GB are 7D owners... This is the one thing that stopped me buying this camera - same scene, same focus length, sometimes it tracks the foreground, sometimes it tracks the back...

The AF is quick and accurate (certainly much better than my 5D anyway).. Just that it has a knack of picking the wrong region in certain cases... Versus 7D which seem to track my eyeball..

some macros with the 100L this morning in the garden,

post-2123-0-21083000-1336263313_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-95723100-1336263318_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-73203900-1336263322_thumb.jp

post-2123-0-00500800-1336263327_thumb.jp

read up a bit more of focusing options, and using the macro let me experiment with those. also where was missing length with my close shots yesterday, today with the macro its the opposite and appreciating the width of the full frame. to be honest am finding it easier using the macro on the full frame 5D3.

interestingly I played around with both raw and jpeg as well. out the 5D3 the raw's have a purple tinge to them the jpeg is actually more inline with the actual colour tone. some flowers for instance where actually more on the red side went a bit more pink/purple with the raws :) anyways back to using jpegs as otherwise I'd need to upgrade hard drives soon to something 6 times bigger !

now one other point to add, I've stumbled upon something a bit of a suprise. the 5D has a shallower depth of field than the 7D !

I've been wondering about this with with the macro shots where was finding I was increasing depth of field from f8 I'd probably use upto f13. doing a little search on the web reveals something interesting to support this !

http://shootinthesho...ss-always-more/

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/digitaldof.html

spearmint out of curiosity is this something notice between your crop and full frame nikon as well ?

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1336279471' post='1802784]

http://shootinthesho...ss-always-more/

That link apparently has some malware thingy (not too sure if real)...

FF always have shallower depth of field and bokeh than APS-C, thus better bokeh (Wanna go MX? :P).

Edited by myrantz