Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

If you read the fine print, there are lots of provisos. Eg, no Aus warranty (add $100, say), no GST (add $xxx) and so on.

That said, it is a good marketing ploy.

well I'd be getting them to price match with this for instance,

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=4160

$3335 aud free delivery includes gst, and 1 year australian warranty :D

and lets see if they stand up to price matching !

but not ready just yet, in good time :)

This was announced at the same time as the 5D3. It looks clunky.

And, while I haven't had a play with one, it seems to have a few negatives. It lives on the hot-shoe so no flash. It must operate when the shutter is pressed so no use indoors.

Good to see Canon supporting Geotagging

I'm not sure why they don't include it in the camera like several of the compacts do.

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1335952056' post='1801659]

well I'd be getting them to price match with this for instance,

http://www.dwidigita...?idProduct=4160

$3335 aud free delivery includes gst, and 1 year australian warranty :D

and lets see if they stand up to price matching !

but not ready just yet, in good time :)

Hmm, "1 year warranty for Canon" NOT "1 year warranty from Canon Australia". Call me a sceptic, but methinks that this is not what we'd like.

But, please, please, post your reply from Teds.

looks like weather clearing up by then spearmint so should good day for it. look forward to photos :)

My CC is feeling VERY sick! :winky:

That can only mean VERY good things... :):wub: :wub: :wub: :wub::wub::wub:

My CC is feeling VERY sick! :winky:

hey come on ! we can only share in the sickness ! :D

I hope you don't have the light leak issues if you've bought a 5DIII?

http://www.dpreview....5dii-light-leak

Otherwise look forward to viewing the results

I believe canon has found a very quick solution to any light leakage issue..

lamannophotographyjon07_w300.jpg

:D

I hope you don't have the light leak issues if you've bought a 5DIII?

http://www.dpreview....5dii-light-leak

Otherwise look forward to viewing the results

Yes, I had read about that but it is unlikely ever to affect me. I don't do low-light stuff. If the leak affects outdoors metering, then I'm stuffed. But, that's the advantage of buying with an Canon Aus warranty!

Congrats gb. I agree re local canon Australia warranty with regard bodies.

Ok pm sent :D

Very funny Al, re photo above

Yes congratulations GB, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the results from your new purchase

First shots will be with the tripod. Same scene, same lens, same focal distance. Straight shoot-out between the 7D and the 5D3.

I think I have some mates who'll need a bit of convincing re why I wanted to upgrade. :winky:

I'll say upfront may not be huge difference for me it's more to make use of the full frame. And imagine take more use of low light ability. I'd say though in tech I'm probably not fully harnessing what 7D can do so 5D may not give me lot pq wise. Prepared my self for that.

In the same breath....

Ok 7D up for sale. Mint with box manual accessories. Local purchased Australian model. Should have receipt etc. looking at $1K open to offers. Note checking teds new price is $1485 on Special :)

Yes, I had read about that but it is unlikely ever to affect me. I don't do low-light stuff. If the leak affects outdoors metering, then I'm stuffed. But, that's the advantage of buying with an Canon Aus warranty!

IIRC shipments were stopped immediately once Canon was made aware of the issue, and stocks were basically wiped out by pre-orders..

Therefore the body you get now should be fixed with the ingenious black electrical tape thingy... IMO even without the fix it's a no biggie, as you need to go to pretty darn high ISO and shoot completely in the dark (who does that? Can't see anything in the VF)

Congrats btw.. Now, get a grip! :ninja:

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1336088328' post='1802108]

Ok 7D up for sale. Mint with box manual accessories. Local purchased Australian model. Should have receipt etc. looking at $1K open to offers. Note checking teds new price is $1485 on Special :)

How many actuations? Do you know of anybody coming to Perth metro in the next few days/weeks? :P I may be mildly interested, but don't want it shipped over :P.

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1336088328' post='1802108]

I'll say upfront may not be huge difference for me it's more to make use of the full frame. And imagine take more use of low light ability. I'd say though in tech I'm probably not fully harnessing what 7D can do so 5D may not give me lot pq wise. Prepared my self for that.

In the same breath....

Al, why don't you have both?

I use both FF and crop simultaneously. I usually have the FF via a Crumple neck strap and the crop via a BlackRapid. Depending on where I’m going, I’ll have say 16-35 on FF and 24-70 on crop; this effectively gives me 16 thru 105 without needing to change lenses. If I require macro or a longer lens I put that on the crop. Or whatever combo suits where I'm going.

+1. As said, take the 7D as a built in 1.6x extender...

I use both FF and crop simultaneously. I usually have the FF via a Crumple neck strap and the crop via a BlackRapid. Depending on where I’m going, I’ll have say 16-35 on FF and 24-70 on crop; this effectively gives me 16 thru 105 without needing to change lenses. If I require macro or a longer lens I put that on the crop. Or whatever combo suits where I'm going.

That's a great way to go spearmint makes lot of sense, would love to but financially can't do it. If wife found out I had two dslrs. I'd be kilt!

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1336088328' post='1802108]

I'll say upfront may not be huge difference for me it's more to make use of the full frame...

That was the whole thrust of my side-by-side comparison - the difference between APS-C and FF.

How many actuations? Do you know of anybody coming to Perth metro in the next few days/weeks? :P I may be mildly interested, but don't want it shipped over :P.

No clue on activations as far as know no reliable way of checking that as cards been carryovers from previous cameras. Was something tried to check on the 40d and searching online there's no way to really check that can find.

Don't know anyone going your way. But not sure I'd Trust them anyways and what happens if they damage or loose it ?

I could ship as did last thing sent you. Would be bomb proofed. Sent with insurance incase a truckie sat on it you'd be covered. Let me know.

I have the receipt and it's still got Amex coverage till sept which might help the sale as well.

That was the whole thrust of my side-by-side comparison - the difference between APS-C and FF.

Stop playing with the new gimp, and start playing with the new DSLR.. :P

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1336102436' post='1802165]

I could ship as did last thing sent you. Would be bomb proofed. Sent with insurance incase a truckie sat on it you'd be covered. Let me know.

I'm still just mildly interested.. Will check around if I know anybody going over to melbourne..

I do agree with what spearmint said though.. 2 bodies, 1 FF, 1 crop.. If go serious on this hobby, one needs both...

Stop playing with the new gimp, and start playing with the new DSLR.. :P

I'm still just mildly interested.. Will check around if I know anybody going over to melbourne..

I do agree with what spearmint said though.. 2 bodies, 1 FF, 1 crop.. If go serious on this hobby, one needs both...

That GIMP comment has some dark undertones. The RAW converter I've been using (dcraw) doesn't yet handle 5D3 RAW files. There is an alternative (Darktable) but I've only had a few sessions with it and not sure how well it integrates with GIMP.

That GIMP comment has some dark undertones. The RAW converter I've been using (dcraw) doesn't yet handle 5D3 RAW files. There is an alternative (Darktable) but I've only had a few sessions with it and not sure how well it integrates with GIMP.

Gee.. Hadn't thought of that... :( How's the Digic5+ on the 5D3? Is it any good? Try shooting in JPEG instead?

While I'm pro RAW, I'm kindda turned off by it now.. With my camera it does produce better result, but modern cameras may do a good job now?

RAW files, it's so much work... :(

ok below is response I got from Teds when I sent them a query re their canon price challenge, and quoted them dwi's $3,335 AUD delivered to the door price.

Hi there,

The best price I can offer for this camera is $3599.95 .

I can also include a 5 year Total Care Package for only $149.95 .

If you'd like to go ahead with the sale please give us a call on 1800 186 895, please note this quote is valid for today only.

Why buy at Ted's?

Don’t forget, Ted’s offers all these great services with every purchase…

Cheers!

Ted’s Websales Dept

www.teds.com.au

Ted's Web Enquires

P: 03 8779 5581

F: 03 9645 7283

Toll Free: 1800 186 895

yeah so basically they cant do any better. anyways decided to take advantage of their special price which is pretty close to the us price, so went past there from work and grabbed one before the special offer ended today. also grabbed a teds 5 year warranty as well for the piece of mind given how pricey the thing is :)