Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

It took the 5DMk3 and the Nikon D3s (IIRC) to make digital on par with analog for 35mm... And that's only in my view. There are folks who still think digital is not good enough (e.g. the lens coating on modern lens that prevents DSLR sensor from reflections somehow affects the PQ apparently)...

There's a few who still use film (and using expired stock :P)... Take pics, develop in home darkroom, high quality scanner, then pp... It is really cool to do it the old school way (but need room to do it)..

Then there's also medium format (digital versions are still quite expensive)... On pure quality wise, film is still pretty darn good (and the gear is cheap on ebay).. But it's not everybody's cup of tea :ninja:...

Don't think prices in Singapore are all that attractive IMO.. Me find HK is cheaper than Singapore... But it's hard to bargain for prices in HK as the mainland Chinese have way too much buying power.

Also bear in mind Canon Au may well only do warranty repair on AU stock from Sept 1.

I dissagree with the statement it takes a 5Dmk3 or Nikon D3 to make digital on par with film 35mm. When I saw photographer using a canon 10D with a 24-70 2.8L at my wedding in 1994 and the quality of end result and post processing he could do I realised film had been surpassed back then. Was then I saved up and bought a 10D myself and never looked back.

there are some film die hards out there sure who will hang in there. and will get great results am sure but for mere mortals like myself film is long gone as buried :P

now if we were talking medium and large format film photography that would be a whole another discussion....

I dissagree with the statement it takes a 5Dmk3 or Nikon D3 to make digital on par with film 35mm. When I saw photographer using a canon 10D with a 24-70 2.8L at my wedding in 1994 and the quality of end result and post processing he could do I realised film had been surpassed back then. Was then I saved up and bought a 10D myself and never looked back.

Probably true... It's more a subjective assessment from me I guess..

there are some film die hards out there sure who will hang in the

re. and will get great results am sure but for mere mortals like myself film is long gone as buried :P

+1.. Not for everybody, definitely not for me... :blush: I'd be eating film like crazy figuratively (and no space in the fridge :ninja:)... The thing with film is it requires a lot more stuffs (dark room, chems, scanner, PC, etc).. With digital, all I need is a PC and a printer.

~

+1.. Not for everybody, definitely not for me... :blush: I'd be eating film like crazy figuratively (and no space in the fridge :ninja:)... The thing with film is it requires a lot more stuffs (dark room, chems, scanner, PC, etc).. With digital, all I need is a PC and a printer.

yeah well towards the end of film days for me I had a minolta scanner a really good one and was doing huge scans of negatives. But it was a painfull process would take ages and then youd end up with problems of little dust particles or fibres that the scanner would pick up. once I saw what the 10D was capable off was very easy to change over. mind you the 10D cost a packet back then ! the 40D I got some years later was a quantum up in speed, low light / iso ability. and the 7D was another huge leap up again. so in my mind digital is a huge leap forward from what I could achieve with film. it is literally chalk and cheese. and thats putting aside all the useability with digital. basically everything at my finger tips vs film where was very much in the hands of the developer/processor and kind of film used.

That whole scanning of negatives (and prints) is why I gave up on photography. I had a pretty expensive scanner, Photo$hop & everything that was required - except high quality digital images. (The camera at the time as an EOS 50(?).)

About four years ago I bought my first PhD camera. I was pretty impressed but not to the "lets get back into it" level. As that camera was pretty clunky (was about the size of TWO cigarette packets), I bought a new one. That took a better image and, well, many $1000's later I'm where I wanted to be all those years ago.

To those reading this - STOP!!!! You are already involved in a VERY expensive hobby addiction (AV gear) - don't go down the path I have and add photography to that list! :ninja:

Partial EXIF data, A then B

File Name					   : IMG_0004_dtv.jpg
Exposure Time				   : 1/500
F Number						: 6.3
Exposure Program				: Aperture-priority AE
ISO							 : 100
Shutter Speed Value			 : 1/512
Focal Length					: 320.0 mm
Lens Type					   : Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

File Name					   : IMG_0008_dtv.jpg
Exposure Time				   : 1/640
F Number						: 5.6
Exposure Program				: Aperture-priority AE
ISO							 : 100
Shutter Speed Value			 : 1/664
Focal Length					: 400.0 mm
Lens Type					   : Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

One of the pics my son took on Saturday. This is a very small version of the image I downloaded from FaceBook. I'll download the full version from the SD card when I get home.

Linky

The Hornets just don't look as good as the old F-111 with their 'dump and burn' flame thrower rear end.

ps have posted a few from film days was snapping away on my canon film slr getting negatives developed and then scanning in.

That just solidifies my view film is better.. :P Those are great pics!!!! (kudos to FMB and bushy too)

And I reckon one can get similar qualities in 5D2 (and hopefully 5D3)... :ninja: But do agree it's PITA wrt to film...

Do you have any B&W pics from your film days?

That just solidifies my view film is better.. :P Those are great pics!!!! (kudos to FMB and bushy too)

And I reckon one can get similar qualities in 5D2 (and hopefully 5D3)... :ninja: But do agree it's PITA wrt to film...

hehe, thanks, but yeah lot of that is location and lighting, time of the year. so yeah a lot of good luck !

~

I never much phtographed in B&W apart from when I was a kid. the few negatives I have from then too big to scan in (they were from my grandads camera, that I got when he passed away). I do have B&W negatives have scanned in that others took when I was a child with my mum etc. and they are lovely to see. watching them on a big screen now is like a time machine. we have some old colour slides as well I have scanned in from back then of family and they are lovely too :(

It took the 5DMk3 and the Nikon D3s (IIRC) to make digital on par with analog for 35mm...

5D MkIII is not yet available treb - and the rumours about it appearing this year are getting more and more outnumbered by the rumours that it will be released toward the end of next year (due to tsunami effects in Japan it is claimed).

Anyway, I've decided to jump in and buy the MkII now and will uprade to the MkIII if and when it is released.

Anyway, I've decided to jump in and buy the MkII now and will uprade to the MkIII if and when it is released.

Why not wait for the Mk3 and buy the Mk2 on runout? :P Will save quite a fair bit of money that way.

Making a list of things I can ask for for my birthday. What do you guys think of remotes like this one?

Yep, can recommend - got one myself. Make sure your get the "Canon" version - the little boxes are the same but the cable is different for each brand of camera.

Yep, can recommend - got one myself. Make sure your get the "Canon" version - the little boxes are the same but the cable is different for each brand of camera.

umm...why would I get the Canon version when I own a Nikon?