Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Ditto for me re just having a single body. The kitbag is heavy enough without adding a second body.

Yeah, too heavy = back strain.. gotta consider that too.. So are u upgrading? :P... Need somebody who is very experienced with the 7D to test the 5D3 and see what they prefer....

FWIW, atm I reckon it's cheapest to buy in Auz (with GST refund)... Or wait for the likes of grey importers.

From www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au and for those that may be interested (hope this doesn't violate the advertising rules but, since my only connection with that mob is as a customer, I reckon it should be OK):

Canon Lens Offers

We have a slew of sought-after Canon lenses at amazing prices! If you’re after an L-series lens, check out this ex-demo gear for a brilliant deal. All ex-demo lenses come with full 12 month Canon Australia warranty.

Stock is strictly limited, please call us on 1300 365 220 for availability.

Canon ex-demo lenses						  Price

EF 135mm F/2L USM							$1,259
EF 14mm F/2.8L II USM						$2,409
17mm TS-E f/4L Tilt Shift					$2,719
EF 180mm F/3.5L Macro USM					$1,865
EF 200mm F/2.0 L IS USM					  $6,335
EF 24mm F/1.4L II USM						$1,899
TS-E 24mm F/3.5L II Wide Angle Tilt-Shift	$2,449
24-105mm EF F/4L IS USM					  $1,419
35mm EF F/1.4L USM						   $1,739
TS-E 45mm F/2.8 Tilt-Shift				   $1,433
70-300 EF F/4-5.6 L IS USM				   $1,819
85mm EF F/1.2L II USM						$2,135
TS-E 90mm F/2.8 Tilt-Shift				   $1,553

I went there on Saturday to have a play with a 5D3. I used my own 16-35 L. I didn't realise just what a huge difference the FF makes. I also tortured myself by getting them to put the 14mm onto the 5D3. WOW!!!!

Yeah, I know there's one on special but the Piggy Bank is VERY skinny at the moment. DAMN!!!

~.

... I also tortured myself by getting them to put the 14mm onto the 5D3. WOW!!!!

~

Ha!!

Now try living in outback Australia and witness scenery made for that combination every day!!!

I travel there every opportunity I get and I know exactly what you mean. That is why I want the FF-edness of the 5D3. The 16-35 L will have to do. Awww poor me! :winky:

yes piggy bank way too skinny at this point to even dare be wandering into such places....but yeah FF calls for all those reasons...but would be sticking with my 17-40L for wides too...

how much and where from gb ? I just cant believe so much gadgetry is still required for what is just a remote shutter ! :D

Just bought a geotagger... :)

LysterfieldMay2012-3.jpg

Click on the image and it'll show you approximatly where I was taking the photo.

I bought due to a recent trip up the Mekong Delta, and not having a clue where the photos were taken.

Just bought a geotagger... :)

Click on the image and it'll show you approximatly where I was taking the photo.

I bought due to a recent trip up the Mekong Delta, and not having a clue where the photos were taken.

Best thing ever for holidays!! :) GPS tagger built straight into the camera?

Or a GPS logger like Holux/etc?

Best thing ever for holidays!! :) GPS tagger built straight into the camera?

Or a GPS logger like Holux/etc?

I use one of these. You download your photos and the GPS stuff from the recorder then pass both through a bit of software that writes the GPS info into the EXIF data.

My photo management software (digiKam) can extract that info and display it on a map. :)

Attention all those lusting after a 5D3: Teds are offering a 10% discount on (almost) all Canon products. Have a look at http://www.teds.com....n_2Day_Sale_May - click on the "Just Arrived" tab. Price is $3,599.96.

The bad news is that you have until "midnight Friday 4th May 2012 for online purchases and at regular shop closing times for physical stores".

I use one of these. You download your photos and the GPS stuff from the recorder then pass both through a bit of software that writes the GPS info into the EXIF data.

My photo management software (digiKam) can extract that info and display it on a map. :)

Does it work well? I have two already - from Holux.. One is more for cycling, and the other looks like a film canister.. but they took extremely long to lock on to a signal.. How's yours?

I'm more thinking of a geotagger, that comms directly with the camera and appends the geodata immediately when the photo is taken, so it'd take me one less step... :P

The bad news is that you have until "midnight Friday 4th May 2012 for online purchases and at regular shop closing times for physical stores".

Meh... I still prefer the 7D over the 5D3 :P...

Attention all those lusting after a 5D3: Teds are offering a 10% discount on (almost) all Canon products. Have a look at http://www.teds.com....n_2Day_Sale_May - click on the "Just Arrived" tab. Price is $3,599.96.

Hmm wonder how that works ?

Notice their canon www canon price challenge ? They'll price match anywhere in the world shipped price plus gst. This specifically for canon dslrs it seems. Good to see !

I'm more thinking of a geotagger, that comms directly with the camera and appends the geodata immediately when the photo is taken, so it'd take me one less step...

That's what the unit I bought does, it connects to the camera and writes the data straight to the file. I researched quite a few, including iPhone apps which connect via blue tooth, data loggers etc. etc. but in the end this won, and so far works well.

That's what the unit I bought does, it connects to the camera and writes the data straight to the file. I researched quite a few, including iPhone apps which connect via blue tooth, data loggers etc. etc. but in the end this won, and so far works well.

Works only on Nikon I assume? Got a link?

Edit: Also, how many minutes does it take to lock to a GPS signal?

Edited by myrantz

Works only on Nikon I assume? Got a link?

Edit: Also, how many minutes does it take to lock to a GPS signal?

Yes, I'm not sure why Canon don't support GPS

http://www.solmeta.com/

I'm not sure how long it takes to lock on, by the time I've plugged it in and got myself ready to take the first photo its already to go

Canon supports GPS I think.. eitehr a module (1Dx) or some wireless grip thingy.. not too sure of the details, just that my camera is too old and don't support this... :(

http://www.solmeta.com/

I'm not sure how long it takes to lock on, by the time I've plugged it in and got myself ready to take the first photo its already to go

Thanks for that info.. hopefully can find something there that works with Canon... kekeke.. All nikon... :P

Post more of your pics.. :P BTW, do you shoot in RAW and PP to JPEG, or shoot straight in JPEG?

Edited by myrantz

Canon supports GPS I think.. eitehr a module (1Dx) or some wireless grip thingy.. not too sure of the details, just that my camera is too old and don't support this... :(

Thanks for that info.. hopefully can find something there that works with Canon... kekeke.. All nikon... :P

Post more of your pics.. :P BTW, do you shoot in RAW and PP to JPEG, or shoot straight in JPEG?

No worries, I should have a few more photos from this weekend coming c/w GPS co-ordinates :)

I shoot RAW and PP in Lightroom

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1335934319' post='1801548]

Hmm wonder how that works ?

Notice their canon www canon price challenge ? They'll price match anywhere in the world shipped price plus gst. This specifically for canon dslrs it seems. Good to see !

If you read the fine print, there are lots of provisos. Eg, no Aus warranty (add $100, say), no GST (add $xxx) and so on.

That said, it is a good marketing ploy.

.. but they took extremely long to lock on to a signal.. How's yours?

If the AGPS data is out-of-date, around 30 secs. If not, around 10 secs.

This was announced at the same time as the 5D3. It looks clunky.

And, while I haven't had a play with one, it seems to have a few negatives. It lives on the hot-shoe so no flash. It must operate when the shutter is pressed so no use indoors.