Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Had to happen. I'll wait a few months and see what pans out. Would consider a grey import if Aus prices are still at ridiculous levels vs US.

Edited by gone_bush

Had to happen. I'll wait a few months and see what pans out. Would consider a grey import if Aus prices are still at ridiculous levels vs US.

Yep wait and see is what I'll be doing :)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/03/5d-mark-iii-availability-update/

some mention there of canon regulating prices in the us. Which might explain why b&h and co haven't posted anything but rrp there. I hope canon doesn't try pull that sh!t here as its against the law ie price fixing !

And with another b&m store here posting posting a lower than rrp listing on their website

http://www.cameraaction.com.au/call-1300-303-191/products.asp?sku=247050&dept=18

hopefully not the case here. Still can't believe teds. Orally they are the one to beat and do a good special price on new releases. Obviously not anymore !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1331840170' post='1789062]

and price from their singapore store at $3,555.

That in SGD?

That in SGD?

all aud as per the link :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1331860791' post='1789122]

all aud as per the link :)

Aww.. :( If only it's SGD :P .. The manual is online btw, I'm sure you're all over it.. :P wink wink nudge nudge :poke: .. Give in to the FF :hyper: ...

looks like ted has dropped their price back to same as digital camera warehouse, $3999 rather than just listing the silly $4.2k rrp.

http://www.teds.com....eos-5d-mark-iii

by the way treb, who said WA people are ripped off. so far for a B&M shop leederville over their in wait a while is got it selling for $3599 for preorder :)

http://www.leedervillecameras.com.au/digital-slr-cameras/canon-dslrs/canon-eos-5d-mkiii-body-only

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1332320309' post='1790336]

by the way treb, who said WA people are ripped off. so far for a B&M shop leederville over their in wait a while is got it selling for $3599 for preorder :)

http://www.leedervil...mkiii-body-only

Price looks good. I wonder how much it's overseas.... :P Nah, am still going to keep using my 5D... Looking at minty's pics, it'd be pretty embarrassing if I get this now.. :blush::P

Thinking of getting another lens eventually though, First the 17-40 (or sigma/tokina equivalent, for some reason 24 isn't wide enough :huh:). Then either a 100mm prime or a 150mm one and I'm set.. Until the damn mirror on the 5D flies off (there's a global recall and I havn't had this done yet :()....

theres a very cheap 17-40 going on sna, but looks a bit used ?

teds by the way are saying they have the 5D3 now instore and available online. but at the price no way going instore ! :D will be a pass for me ...till prices drop a bit more out of insanity ! hehe

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1332409435' post='1790572]

theres a very cheap 17-40 going on sna, but looks a bit used ?

teds by the way are saying they have the 5D3 now instore and available online. but at the price no way going instore ! :D will be a pass for me ...till prices drop a bit more out of insanity ! hehe

Found on the web: Prices in HK

$27,480HKD.. Roughly about $3435.... :eek:

So, if somebody is to travel soon, and buy the camera here, and claim GST at the airport, take the camera overseas, then bring it back, it may work out to be cheaper?

Edit: Singapore $4250 (~$3270 AUD)...

Add shipping, etc.. Methinks definitely cheaper to buy in Australia regardless of GST (local warranty)..

Edited by myrantz

I've always preferred to buy the body from oz. especially since new model and if have a prib don't want to be shipping back and to overseas.

Kogan may yet come to senses ! Their grey import price is more than bricks and mortar shops currently. But if they revise that to provide decent enough difference eg $300 or do cheaper then might consider them. Otherwise I'll stick to buying from a shop locally..... But only if can afford...have sold but of unused stuff last few weeks raised some funds... But not enough ...anyways no rush ...

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1332475579' post='1790693]

I've always preferred to buy the body from oz. especially since new model and if have a prib don't want to be shipping back and to overseas.

True.. It'd be good as you're on the east coast.. But I'm in West, and shipping to Singapore is actually faster than shipping over east :P (Why I don't really know hahahha)...

I noticed PRA has it in stock now linky

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1332475579' post='1790693]

Kogan may yet come to senses ! Their grey import price is more than bricks and mortar shops currently. But if they revise that to provide decent enough difference eg $300 or do cheaper then might consider them. Otherwise I'll stick to buying from a shop locally..... But only if can afford...have sold but of unused stuff last few weeks raised some funds... But not enough ...anyways no rush ...

Yeah no rush, :) For me lens first...

I wonder if Bushy has already placed an order? :P

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that you or your Credit Card speaking? :yes: :yes:

True.. It'd be good as you're on the east coast.. But I'm in West, and shipping to Singapore is actually faster than shipping over east :P (Why I don't really know hahahha)...

I noticed PRA has it in stock now linky

Yeah no rush, :) For me lens first...

I wonder if Bushy has already placed an order? :P

hehe yeah but if leederville have the cheapest price your way, there wouldnt be any need to get from singapore ?

bushy.....if havent sucummed already, better not go in play with one hehe

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1332482714' post='1790719]

hehe yeah but if leederville have the cheapest price your way, there wouldnt be any need to get from singapore ?

True that ^_^.. At least for me I see no point to get it overseas at this time.. Not that I'm getting it, but my position has wavered somewhat.. :lol:

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1332482714' post='1790719]

bushy.....if havent sucummed already, better not go in play with one hehe

Go bushy, go right now... :thumbsup:

I'm going to wait for a couple of months, hopefully the price will have come down to something more reasonable.

BTW: Let's not get too anxious re pricing. Remember that the 5D3 hasn't been delivered yet(?) so there hasn't been time for market forces to act on the prices.

My guess: Low 3's - hopefully within my timeframe.

BTW: Let's not get too anxious re pricing. Remember that the 5D3 hasn't been delivered yet(?) so there hasn't been time for market forces to act on the prices.

They are on sale now :hyper: :hyper: .. At least in HK and Singapore..

so i've tried both the 7d and 5d3. I think the af system on the 7d is easier for me to use. it focus at where i'm looking while 5d3 isn't. both are pretty good af system. can't decide what i prefer. but both will be good. couldn't test the AE properly though. folks with 7d pob don't need to upgrade? unless you guys want the FF experience.

so i've tried both the 7d and 5d3. I think the af system on the 7d is easier for me to use. it focus at where i'm looking while 5d3 isn't. both are pretty good af system. can't decide what i prefer. but both will be good. couldn't test the AE properly though. folks with 7d pob don't need to upgrade? unless you guys want the FF experience.

A question for those with a 7D or 5D MkII thinking about upgrading:

Would you consider owning two bodies?

It occurred to me, that the two main things I'd be getting with the MkIII is a better AF system and processing grunt, which would suit action shots. I'd arguably get this spending around $1-1.2k on a second hand 7D, rather than spending at least $2-2.5k on a MkIII upgrade.

Similarly, someone with a 7D is primarily upgrading to FF for better portrait and landscape shooting. Maybe instead pick up a second hand MkII from one of the upgraders?

Horses for courses and a shitload of money left in your pocket?

Edited by Mining Man

thanks for the feedback. yes ff is main reason for me :)

It occurred to me, that the two main things I'd be getting with the MkIII is a better AF system and processing grunt, which would suit action shots. I'd arguably get this spending around $1-1.2k on a second hand 7D, rather than spending at least $2-2.5k on a MkIII upgrade.

Similarly, someone with a 7D is primarily upgrading to FF for better portrait and landscape shooting. Maybe instead pick up a second hand MkII from one of the upgraders?

Horses for courses and a shitload of money left in your pocket?

prefer to stick to just one body myself.

for me it will be just the case of wait and see. give me more time to save up and hopefully the mk3 bodies drop more back to sane pricing. no rush myself :)

Ditto for me re just having a single body. The kitbag is heavy enough without adding a second body.

Yes.. it's not that outradgeous TBH... The record i see so far is 3 DSLRs on a person's neck. :P TBH if I have a mk2 I wouldnt be upgrading, but that's based on using the camera (and not picture quality) as I couldn't test that.

the 5D2 and 5D have the same AF system.... it's kindda dated now TBH, and the new AF system on the 5D3 is much much better IMO..But it's YMMV I guess...

It's good to have, but then not really that important I guess? Unless it's for sports.

Or get a 8-15F4?