Camera & Photo Chat

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al, when you had a 7D, what speed card did you have in it?

I currently have a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III (60MB/S) and wondering if that will be fast enough or whether I should get a new 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s)?

Remember, I will be shooting a fair it of sport and taking advantage of the 8fps

Edited by diesel

That's an interesting lens.

Certainly would be a toss up between it and a 100-400mm L as my next lens.

Prime vs zoom?

Why did you chose it?

Already have the 70-200 f/4 L, and occasionally find it a bit short. I could have sold it and gone with a 100-400 or 70-300 but i really don't like lenses that extend, especially the pump action style of the 100-400. Looking at going FF in the future and the 70-200 will become even shorter, plus i've seen some images off the 300 prime, and was very impressed.

Hopefully get to give it a run over the weekend, will post pics if i do.

I currently have a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III (60MB/S) and wondering if that will be fast enough or whether I should get a new 16GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (90MB/s)?

Remember, I will be shooting a fair it of sport and taking advantage of the 8fps

I'm pretty sure the 7D can buffer 23-25 RAW images with the latest firmware update, so if only doing short bursts the card won't be an issue. I use the same cards you have and while i've not actually measured the fps rate, it fires off simultaneous shots pretty darn quick. More likely to slow you down with be your shutter speed and AF.

Clearing the buffer is a whole other story though :winky:

Edited by Gutty

FWIW I upgraded from the 60MB/S to the Pro because the 60 did cause a "lock-up" when in full machine gun mode.

Edited by gone_bush
  • Moderators

sorry diesel missed your post there, mine is a 60 mb/s sandisk extreme card. I have never found it to be a bottleneck however my photographys is usually single shots am a pretty slow phographer, dont do sport and bursts of shots etc so probably not the best to provide a suggestion.

ps I notice mention of a prototype of a 24-70 f2.8 IS and release in 18 months or so. now I do think that would be an interesting lens particularly for indoors and low light capability and something I know canon fans been asking for a long time.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/ef-24-70-f2-8l-is-exists-as-a-working-prototype-cr2/

do wonder what the actual thing ends up looking like though, perhaps bulk and cost might push out of contention for many I still expect.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356004695' post='1854427]

ps I notice mention of a prototype of a 24-70 f2.8 IS and release in 18 months or so. now I do think that would be an interesting lens particularly for indoors and low light capability and something I know canon fans been asking for a long time.

http://www.canonrumo...-prototype-cr2/

I can't believe it would take them 18months to get something like this to market. They probably had it in the pipeline with the non-IS version 12-18months ago...

BTW, the 7D and lens turned up today. Didn't get a chance to play, and no sport this weekend so gonna have to make do with a bunch of photos in the back yard for now.

Interestingly, the Fedex parcel was overnight from HK, but Toll took 4 days to get here.

Edited by diesel

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356004695' post='1854427]

http://www.canonrumo...-prototype-cr2/

do wonder what the actual thing ends up looking like though, perhaps bulk and cost might push out of contention for many I still expect.

This has been asked for in both Canon and Nikon camps for many a year, it'll be interesting what the weight difference will be to the non IS lens.

I wonder, are we becoming too reliant on stability built into lenses, particularly in the mid focal range of lenses?

• Moderators

This has been asked for in both Canon and Nikon camps for many a year, it'll be interesting what the weight difference will be to the non IS lens.

I wonder, are we becoming too reliant on stability built into lenses, particularly in the mid focal range of lenses?

good question spearmint. I remember the 17-55 f2.8 IS I had when running my canon crops that would be equivalent to 28-88 and IS was quite usefull at times for indoor natural light shots where spontaneously want to grab a few shots and not enough time for setting up a tripod etc. Could mean difference between a blurred shot or a shot capturing a moment. for me for instance the 24-105 4L IS I found in use more versatile vs the non IS 24-70 f2.8 indoors in low light etc. eventually I got rid of the 17-55, but with a full frame camera am wondering the same now if there is a use as suggest of stability. Definitely market been asking for it a long time as you say :)

<p>

Yes - and no. :D

For the sake of a few extra grams I'll have the IS every time. It's just far to handy.

• Moderators

<p>

Yes - and no. :D

For the sake of a few extra grams I'll have the IS every time. It's just far to handy.

the 24-70 f2.8 is a monster already though ! hehe

ps a good review of the sigma 35mm f1.4, at under $1k this would have to be the lens of the year I reckon !

http://www.dpreview....5mm-f1-4-dg-hsm

anyone thinking of getting one ? I've already spent my camera quota for this year and probably next year as well :D

No doubt that is a fine lens but I have 16mm - 400mm covered in "L" goodness so not in the market for any more lenses.

That said, I was in Michaels the other day (ordering some prints) and saw the 8-15mm f/4 fisheye zoom. Not a lens I want (~$1.5k) but would be interesting to take for a tyre-kicker test drive.

Granted image stability is great, it can also be a pest. If one is not giving it time to stabilise and rushing a shot, it can make things worse.

Like yourself GB, I prefer a lens with, than without, if I had a choice.

Happy with my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, I am sure the Canon will be a great lens and probabl a bit sharper and faster focusing but it is taking them long enough

Got to have a bit of a play with the 7D and 24-105 L with the kids on the slip 'n' slide in the heat. Had the 'machine gun' 8fps happening and was really pleased that it worked a treat, my 60MBs card was no issue, and was rattling off 12-16 shots at a time.

In the end I took about 300 shots with maybe half a dozen keepers - but definitely spoilt for choice compared to the 300D's 2.5 fps :)

Yeah, reckon you'll pretty happy with that rig. BTW: I only ran into bandwidth issues after having the finger on the trigger for, say, 5 or more seconds.

Happy shooting tomorrow!

• Moderators

I suppose a good test to see if you card is holding you back might be to take the card out and fire away without the card in the camera ? then pop the card in and do the same ? I dont know havent tried it but thinking a good way ? again its not the kind of photography I take so not something experinece with :D

good to hear diesel having some good fun with the new camera and lens :)

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356349788' post='1855375]

I suppose a good test to see if you card is holding you back might be to take the card out and fire away without the card in the camera ?

good to hear diesel having some good fun with the new camera and lens :)

Definitely having fun.

2 secs would be more than enough for the sort of shots I take. Maybe a few more if one of the kids hits a homer :) but generally the card doesn't seem an issue, so I bought another today. Going away for family holiday next week so wanted to make sure I wasn't scrambling around somewhere unfamiliar for a cheap card

Anybody played around with the Canon 6D yet?

Had a quick play the day they came out. Such a massive step up from the 300D (just like the 7D) so I'd reserve my thoughts until I have had a better play with the 7D to acclimatise my senses to the modern world before having another look at the 6D

Had a quick play the day they came out. Such a massive step up from the 300D (just like the 7D) so I'd reserve my thoughts until I have had a better play with the 7D to acclimatise my senses to the modern world before having another look at the 6D

Thinking of changing a body already? :P

Had a quick play last night too :) It's a lot smaller TBH... Not as lost in the AF as I am with the 5D3, but still pretty lost on how to use it (I think the 5D3 is faster but not sure which is more accurate)

The biggest hold back is the SD card though...

It's quite apparent what the 6D is for, for folks of XX, XXX and XXXX to move up to FF (without buying new gear), and it's not a bad camera at all... That GPS and Wifi (for paring it with a smart phone for remote control) is a very very big draw...

The 6D also use focusing screens (which I prefer)... Need to do more testing & research for now... Hopefully I can get approval from the minister of finance for this *touch wood*..

The biggest hold back is the SD card though...

Why?

It's obviously fast enough for what the camera can do.

It's quite apparent what the 6D is for, for folks of XX, XXX and XXXX to move up to FF (without buying new gear), and it's not a bad camera at all...

Don't get me wrong. The 6D is a good camera, but doesn't quite fit my needs.

There's an interview on the web where Canon say they were designing for travellers in mind. Hence the smaller footprint, GPS and wifi.

Folks moving up from APS-C bodies would most likely still need to factor in new len(s) as well with the upgrade as it doesn't accept EF-S mount.

Why? It's obviously fast enough for what the camera can do.

speed isnt' important for me... Just that I don't have a single SD card at all.. Only CF cards :cry: ...

Don't get me wrong. The 6D is a good camera, but doesn't quite fit my needs.

There's an interview on the web where Canon say they were designing for travellers in mind. Hence the smaller footprint, GPS and wifi.

Folks moving up from APS-C bodies would most likely still need to factor in new len(s) as well with the upgrade as it doesn't accept EF-S mount.

Agreed on all counts... For my case I was hoping to go down to APS-H but reality didn't turn out the way folks rumoured them to be :(... Had to do a bit more reading up, comparing 5D3/6D vs 600D... Don't think the 7D3 will be out in early 2013 (and that better not be APS-H!)..

By the time you get to 6D territory you should be recording in RAW, not JPG. As such, WiFi is pretty useless given the file sizes.

As for GPS, I question its usefulness: How much battery does it use? It wont work indoors, and what about the city canyons?

BTW: I use a separate GPS data logger and pass it's data and my RAW files through a bit of software that updates the EXIF data in the RAW file with the GPS info.

• Moderators

makes sense if they looked at it as a light weight, stripped back basic full frame for on the go. but dont know about you guys but travelling and dslrs dont really go together with me. for the travellers rumours are there is a full frame eos-m on way :)

By the time you get to 6D territory you should be recording in RAW, not JPG. As such, WiFi is pretty useless given the file sizes.

Main aim is to tether to the smart phone for remote control... That is where the attraction will be I think.. facepalm if folks use the 6D and upload pics to Google+, double facepalm if they upload it to Facebook :rofl:..

As for GPS, I question its usefulness: How much battery does it use? It wont work indoors, and what about the city canyons?

For me it wouldn't be an issue coz I have to match it with a grip (I can't use EOS bodies without that)... So that will be 2x batteries, I seldom use IS so battery life is pretty long and shouldn't be an issue.

But the locking time and the quality of the transceiver are crucial... Questions I'm still researching on (comparing vs Nikon, e.g. the one minty has)..

BTW: I use a separate GPS data logger and pass it's data and my RAW files through a bit of software that updates the EXIF data in the RAW file with the GPS info.

Using that atm too (have 2 holux).. And works surprisingly well... Only had to sync the time on the start of the day (my 5D RTC is pretty bad)... But it's a hassle for travelling... With built in GPS it means I don't have to sync. And time is always accurate.

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356775185' post='1856323]

makes sense if they looked at it as a light weight, stripped back basic full frame for on the go. but dont know about you guys but travelling and dslrs dont really go together with me. for the travellers rumours are there is a full frame eos-m on way :)

I like to do travel photography (although I suck at photo taking rofl)... I carry a 70-200/2.8, 24-105/4, 100/2.8, 5D+grip, flashgun, batteries, chargers, GPSes, raincoat thingy, monopod, 2 remotes, CFs on my backpack and can walk about 10hrs a day with no issues (with rest of coz).. Comfortable backpacks make all the difference - KATA make very good backpacks :thumbsup: ... And they're small enough not to be a hassle in crowded places... (Although I look like a dork)...

EOS-M is a given.. You got me with the picnic pic TBH.. But the Mrs will make the final call on that one (she prefers the Panasonic UI, and wants 20++++x zoom)... She can't beat me in PQ so she's beating me with range o_O!!!

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356775185' post='1856323]

dont know about you guys but travelling and dslrs dont really go together with me.

The 4 weeks I did in the US last year was a good eye opener for me. A good walk about lens with decent range saw me use it 95% of the time and only pulled out the telephoto on two occassions. Not sure I could take the 70-200/2.8 around the world though...

• Moderators

yeah cant see myself lugging around camera bag with long zooms and tripod and what not. not done a heap of travel last couple of years but maybe like you did next time I shoudl just try taking the 24-105 and maybe the 17-40 :) I could always give my wife the eos m to lug along :D

Hows this for speed?

I uploaded this image to Flickr late last night

8320414731_1da58d1a3d_b.jpg

Within hours I see a view on my stats from a web site CLICK

8321722697_6b5e11c7af_b.jpg

At least when you click on the image on the site it is linked back to Flickr

The interesting thing (for me) is there are around 20 other images posted a few days before (obviously didn't like any of them) :D

The 4 weeks I did in the US last year was a good eye opener for me. A good walk about lens with decent range saw me use it 95% of the time and only pulled out the telephoto on two occassions. Not sure I could take the 70-200/2.8 around the world though...

Coz I did poor research :blush: Truth be told I never use 2.8, usually 5.6 or higher.. Should have got the F4 IS instead which is lighter, or the F4 which is even lighter. Personal preference I guess, myself I like to have 24-200 covered...

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1356782253' post='1856347]

this would interest the mrs then treb, pana fz200 25-600 f2.8 all the way,

http://www.trustedre...l-Camera_review

but long zoom, small sensor something gotta give I reckon !

Oh no! must hide that from her... Panasonics are great camera, but for me kindda PITA coz they only work outdoors :(

Hows this for speed?

I uploaded this image to Flickr late last night

Within hours I see a view on my stats from a web site CLICK

At least when you click on the image on the site it is linked back to Flickr

The interesting thing (for me) is there are around 20 other images posted a few days before (obviously didn't like any of them) :D

Congrats.. Your pics just got stolen - sure sign you've made it up the photographic ladder :D :D... That's a very nice shot, all details there, even the sky...

Good luck with that hope you find the rightful owner, and nice to see an honest person, too many people would just keep it.

Good luck with that hope you find the rightful owner, and nice to see an honest person, too many people would just keep it.

If it was mine I'd be shattered so I'm keen to see it returned, makes me appreciate my canon compact though....lol

• Moderators

also couple of other things can do. any pics on it ? other wise can take a pic on it check the exif data, sometimes people do put their name into camera info. otherwise can also contact canon pass on the serial no if person has registered the camera with them they can get back to the owner :)

but good on you com ! reminds me of this story where a panasonic camera was re united with its owner

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cameras/lost-panasonic-camera-mystery-solved-20111117-1njyg.html