Camera & Photo Chat

(Yes, I know I'm grave digging, but...)

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently embarked on a massive "Retail Therapy" exercise. One (series of) purchase(s) was the Canon EOS 7D w/ EFS 15-85mm IS Lens kit. To this I added the 100mm f/2.8 EF USM 1:1 Macro lens.

This replaces a film EOS 50 that went missing in an interstate move three years ago. (Long story so wont bore you with the murky details.)

So enter, the 7D. I'm still getting used to having a "real" camera again after a few years of PHD (Push Here Dummy) cameras.

I took it on my recent jaunt through the outback and I'm impressed with how easy it is to use. At first glance you'd be forgiven in thinking that it would take the proverbial "month of Sunday's" to master. But the interface is pretty intuitive and the standard non-Auto photos are easy to take.

The 15-85 zoom lens is no world beater but it still produces very good images. (As with most zoom lenses it is susceptible to vignetting and other nasties at it's extreme limits.) The 100mm macro is fantastic. Yes, it does cost a lot of money but I don't think I'd call it expensive. I even contemplated the "L" version as it is reasonably priced for an "L" - but I couldn't justify the extra $'s.

One of the reasons I bought the 50 was to set-up a "digital darkroom". This really didn't work that well given that the medium was film. The 7D fixes that. And the ability to capture the images in RAW mode means that the unadulterated image gets into the computer.

To help process the images I bought a Wacom Intuos4 tablet. Again, still getting used to it but "selecting" is much easier when compared to using a mouse. (Yes, being a Linux nut, I'm using Gimp.)

I also bought a few other goodies: 2 * flash, tripod & etc. (Well, I did say "Retail Therapy"!) A good external flash unit is great for filling in the details of the foreground in shots taken outside.

All in all, very happy with the camera and lenses. It only remains to see if the CC with survive!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

good one GB, sure the CC will survive :D

nice pickups in the 7D absolutely love mine ! and with the 100mm macro. I got the L series but yeah probably not much in it especially in the right hands :)

the 15-85 IS would give some nice range. I had the 17-55 which was an absolute gem, just couldnt justify it with the 24-105L as well which gave me more length for a more versatile all around lens.

your right too cameras like these a lot easier to use that people imagine. Its actually thought me a lot moving across from film to digital, my third digital slr now (10D then 40D now 7D) and each time have upgraded have found I've been taking better and better pics.

how have you found your photography vs back in the days of film GB ?

good one GB, sure the CC will survive :D

Hmm. Prognosis is good, but will wait a month or two until I make any definitive statement. :lol:

nice pickups in the 7D absolutely love mine ! and with the 100mm macro. I got the L series but yeah probably not much in it especially in the right hands :)

Well, I'm buggered! :(

the 15-85 IS would give some nice range. I had the 17-55 which was an absolute gem, just couldnt justify it with the 24-105L as well which gave me more length for a more versatile all around lens.

My words may have been a bit harsh. It really does take very good images provided you don't go to, say, 15mm and f3.5 (it's minimum).

your right too cameras like these a lot easier to use that people imagine. Its actually thought me a lot moving across from film to digital, my third digital slr now (10D then 40D now 7D) and each time have upgraded have found I've been taking better and better pics.

how have you found your photography vs back in the days of film GB ?

Bit early yet. I'm still getting used to using a "real" camera again.

The 100mm macro was bought for, eg, shots of flowers and very small wildlife (read "bugs"). So, I'll will have to wait for spring to really get into that. (I'll have to do something special to justify the expense of the MT-24EX flash unit!)

I'm also learning to use Gimp to do more than just crop an image or adjust the brightness / contrast. Despite what some people say, it is easy to use vs. Photoshop. It's just different - not that I was an expert using Photoshop. And yes, Gimp does have some shortcomings (eg 24 bit vs 32 bit) but I don't think that I'll be hamstrung by them. (For those that are interested, 32-bit Gimp is coming when GEGL is fully developed. Not sure about CMYK processing.)

• Moderators
Hmm. Prognosis is good, but will wait a month or two until I make any definitive statement. :lol:

Well, I'm buggered! :(

My words may have been a bit harsh. It really does take very good images provided you don't go to, say, 15mm and f3.5 (it's minimum).

Bit early yet. I'm still getting used to using a "real" camera again.

The 100mm macro was bought for, eg, shots of flowers and very small wildlife (read "bugs"). So, I'll will have to wait for spring to really get into that. (I'll have to do something special to justify the expense of the MT-24EX flash unit!)

I'm also learning to use Gimp to do more than just crop an image or adjust the brightness / contrast. Despite what some people say, it is easy to use vs. Photoshop. It's just different - not that I was an expert using Photoshop. And yes, Gimp does have some shortcomings (eg 24 bit vs 32 bit) but I don't think that I'll be hamstrung by them. (For those that are interested, 32-bit Gimp is coming when GEGL is fully developed. Not sure about CMYK processing.)

hehe yeah spring was when I had my 100mm macro and was lovely time really in the garden posted some pics myself I think earlier on in the thread. very much learning all about it too. on a sharp learning curve as nver doen any macro before.

whats this mt-24ex flash ? not heard of it ?

not really played much with the picture manipulation software. not really had the time I guess to mess around with that stuff.

hehe yeah spring was when I had my 100mm macro and was lovely time really in the garden posted some pics myself I think earlier on in the thread. very much learning all about it too. on a sharp learning curve as nver doen any macro before.

whats this mt-24ex flash ? not heard of it ?

not really played much with the picture manipulation software. not really had the time I guess to mess around with that stuff.

mt-24ex

(Ignore the price shown there, I certainly did not pay anyway near that!)

That's expected for any wide angled lens wide open I guess... But you'd learn to use the vingetting as an effect (disclaimer: I am no way near that level :()...

Nice!! + Canon 7D has remote trigger build in, and you have two flashes + this ring flash you can do a lot of creative fancy macro work!!! That said, can't be cheap, buying all these items at once, anywhere in the world.. :blink: And you have that transporter too. :blink: :blink:

BTW, you and :) updated to the latest firmware yet? :ninja:

That's expected for any wide angled lens wide open I guess... But you'd learn to use the vingetting as an effect (disclaimer: I am no way near that level :()...

This sort of distortion is a result of (relatively) cheap zoom lenses. I'm sure an "L" zoom would not have the same problems. Having said that, I'd rather not dial in anything that would result in degrading the image in an arbitrary way. If I want to vignette an image, then I want to control the extent of the vignetting & etc.

Nice!! + Canon 7D has remote trigger build in, and you have two flashes + this ring flash you can do a lot of creative fancy macro work!!! That said, can't be cheap, buying all these items at once, anywhere in the world.. :blink: And you have that transporter too. :blink: :blink:

I said that the CC was in the ICU. It regained conciousness this afternoon. It begged me for mercy saying that it had had a near death experience. I said that I would not harm it again. I believed me and went back into a restful sleep. CC's is soooo stoopid!

BTW, you and :) updated to the latest firmware yet? :ninja:

Already at the latest release: 1.1.0.

Edited by gone_bush
This sort of distortion is a result of (relatively) cheap zoom lenses. I'm sure an "L" zoom would not have the same problems. Having said that, I'd rather not dial in anything that would result in degrading the image in an arbitrary way. If I want to vignette an image, then I want to control the extent of the vignetting & etc.

Any pics? I wanna see the pics you took in the bush... Esp all the creepy crawlies taken with ur 100m macro. :ninja:

I said that the CC was in the ICU. It regained conciousness this afternoon. It begged me for mercy saying that it had had a near death experience. I said that I would not harm it again. I believed me and went back into a restful sleep. CC's is soooo stoopid!

:lol:

Already at the latest release: 1.1.0.

1.2.1 could be the latest.. :ninja:

No amount of manual focusing made any difference.

I assume it was on the manual focus because of it wasn't, the auto focusing was dreadful! :D

I thought I should amend this comment.

A couple of weeks ago while in Esperance I had the chance to play with the 7D. I found it very easy to use with glasses and focusing was much much easier than I had experienced previously with the 5D. I was mightily impressed.

I thought I should amend this comment.

A couple of weeks ago while in Esperance I had the chance to play with the 7D. I found it very easy to use with glasses and focusing was much much easier than I had experienced previously with the 5D. I was mightily impressed.

Do you mean 5D or 5D Mk2?

If the original version. It's AF is kindda quirky and unreliable.. USM lens helps I guess.. The old 5D can't be compared to the current crops of DSLRs (esp new models with AF adjustments)... It's a good camera, back in it's day....

Don't know Treb. Thought it was Mk II but it was awhile ago.

Really liked the feel of the 7D though.

Getting very tempted.

Reading all these comments about lenses with interest.

Don't know Treb. Thought it was Mk II but it was awhile ago.

Should be the MkII. Original 5D is prob 5 year old now...

Really liked the feel of the 7D though.

Getting very tempted.

Reading all these comments about lenses with interest.

Get it, get it, get it!! :P

• Moderators

dpreview has this one as latest update for 7D,

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos7d/firmware.html

though I havent bothered as not seen anything it fixes as problems, if its not broke...hehe

go one lyle ! I know you have been hanging out for a digital slr. the 7D is beaut. if have handled the 5D2 and prefer the 7 over it then an easy choice !

I do still wonder about the 5D2 sometimes though :o but brush it aside after a brief moment of though as really cant afford to be thinking about it ! :lol:

maybe if there was a 5dmk3 :rolleyes::D

wow GB that ring flash setup looks the business will do amazing things with the macro lens I imagine. bet you cant wait to use the combo. I'd suggest head out in the garden you might be suprised what you find looking through the lens. damn shame to have that combo sitting there doing nothing !

ps re wide lenses sure some of the more expensive ones have less distortion and better wide, but I think goes with the territory, just a matter of using it to good effect ! :P

House first.
All things follow AFTER.

Prob HT before camera... :ninja:

Cameras can wait I guess. As new bodies/lens may be released soon.... 5d3 is rumoured for next year.. And I hope they have something tested in the world cup.... Just speculating though... But I hope it's a 3D.

• Moderators
House first.

All things follow AFTER.

as with anything cutting edge, seems longer you leave it the more their price only seems to drop and the better they tend to get. so no harm waiting !

• 2 weeks later...

Time files.. 3 years will be almost up...

5D Mark III in 2011

Vincent Laforet on a recent webcast alluded to the next incarnation of the 5D coming “next year”.

He also mentioned Canon is committed to improving the mini HDMI connector on the cameras.

It’s rare to hear any of the sponsored photographers mention future products.

Don't really know yet, esp in the current market... But prob time for me to start saving now just in case... :( Hopefully it has enough features to win me over.