Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

<speculation>

Not enough megapixels to make it a 1D camera. This is probably the lower megapixel camera that's rumoured.. and not the flagship..

Can't be 5D Mk3 as there's way too many AFs for a 5D like camera. Maybe the 3D?

</speculation>

Gb has a few goodies ! 100-400 or 16-35 ?

No contest: it's long and grey! :P

Edited by gone_bush

No contest: it's long and grey! :P

Not half. Might need a new bag! :blush:

Tried the 100-400 and 17-40 on the body. Also threw the 100 L macro on too. Actually think it might be a bit short on the FF - lucky they didn't have the 180. :lol:

Was ever so slightly leaning to the 17-40mm before I played with them. The vignetting on the wide end of the 24-105 is a bit limiting.

But stupidly, I threw on the 14mm L prime, for sh!ts and giggles.

So I guess I'm saving for a new landscape lens... :rolleyes:

Wow you definitely like the primes don't you mm,

Never seen one but imagine a beauty !

Wow you definitely like the primes don't you mm,

Never seen one but imagine a beauty !

Toys Al, I like toys. :blush:

Almost forgot - I also tried the 24 L tilt shift, but had no idea what I was doing. Bloody impressive build quality though!

Primes are great! :wub:

Pro: Very, very fast c.f. zooms, especially great for getting that bokeh thing happening

Cons: (1) PITA re constantly changing lenses; (2) $'s

That said, a prime around the 10mm mark or there abouts coupled with a FF (5D3?) would be awesome and worth the hassles. :)

How's everybody's 5D3 war chest going? :huh:

Primes are great! :wub:

Pro: Very, very fast c.f. zooms, especially great for getting that bokeh thing happening

Cons: (1) PITA re constantly changing lenses; (2) $'s

That said, a prime around the 10mm mark or there abouts coupled with a FF (5D3?) would be awesome and worth the hassles. :)

~

14mm was amazing. I could see the shop assistant standing behind me thinking "this guy has got too much money, and no effing idea...". He's probably right on both counts...

14mm at f/4 would be a good lens - a great deal cheaper than the f/2.8, and perfectly fine for tripod landscape shots in any light.

~

How's everybody's 5D3 war chest going? :huh:

Umm, spent?

It's sort of a merger between the 1D & 1Ds lines........

Seems to be one sweet camera.. The vertical grip is really cool (also makes it very heavy)... :(

Should be a good press/paparazzi camera.

Wish I can buy that... But I can't :P.. Still bidding my time, but for now it seems I'm really decided on going against the tide and my next camera is likely be a crop sensor rather than FF... :P

Seems to be one sweet camera.. The vertical grip is really cool (also makes it very heavy)... :(

Should be a good press/paparazzi camera.

Wish I can buy that... But I can't :P.. Still bidding my time, but for now it seems I'm really decided on going against the tide and my next camera is likely be a crop sensor rather than FF... :P

Why can't you buy that? It's projected to be only about US$7k! :o

Why can't you buy that? It's projected to be only about US$7k! :o

Are you getting it? :P Think probably a mistake in translation? 7000 units per month...

As said I'm looking towards a crop sensor atm... And also don't really need the speed, or advanced focus systems... love the idea of the built in gigabit network connection though....

If it's APS-H maybe I'd be slighly interested TBH.. BTW, isn't this lower megapixels than the 5D2?

They should have call this the 3D.. :P I hate to be wrong... :lol:

Not unless I win Tattslotto! :ninja:

Buy more tickets to increase your chances.. You have to be in it to win it.. That's what I told my wife... :P

dpreview.com if you're interested...

~

The new Canon 1D-X

~

Thank god for that.

Not that I'd have upgraded to a Mk III anyway, I still didn't want the bloody thing to appear for buyer's remorse. At least with this thing, I can say I'm not even remotely interested. The removable battery grip of the all-bar-1D models is almost a non-negotiable for me.

Besides, it leaves more hypothetical money for lenses I don't need...

I was thinking about the price: ~US$7k. How many people in this forum has spent many times that amount on their AV gear?

:puts hand up:

And, NO, this is not a attempt to rationalise a 1D purchase, Tattslotto excepted.

I was thinking about the price: ~US$7k. How many people in this forum has spent many times that amount on their AV gear?

:puts hand up:

And, NO, this is not a attempt to rationalise a 1D purchase, Tattslotto excepted.

haha yes easily re av, but my lack on funds makes rationalising pretty easy in this case :lol:

The removable battery grip of the all-bar-1D models is almost a non-negotiable for me.

Why? :huh:

Disclosure: I got an aftermarket one and got burned: one of the two batteries that was included in the deal died after a few months and the grip / batteries could not "talk" to the body so could not monitor the battery charge and condition. grrrr

Why? :huh:

Disclosure: I got an aftermarket one and got burned: one of the two batteries that was included in the deal died after a few months and the grip / batteries could not "talk" to the body so could not monitor the battery charge and condition. grrrr

I like to be able to throw an all-rounder lens like the 24-105 on the body, sans grip, and walk around on holidays without feeling like a pack horse.

I like to be able to throw an all-rounder lens like the 24-105 on the body, sans grip, and walk around on holidays without feeling like a pack horse.

Ahh, I misunderstood your earlier post - I was thinking that you'd use one all the time.

pack horse :lol:

I'm with you. not been a huge fan of the grip on previous canons, but if get a 5D3 I'll look at the additional grip can be handy for portraits and stuff. but yeah for walking around will be sans grip as well.

pack horse :lol:

I'm with you. not been a huge fan of the grip on previous canons, but if get a 5D3 I'll look at the additional grip can be handy for portraits and stuff. but yeah for walking around will be sans grip as well.

Problem with a removable grip is that it's not weather resistant (not sure about the grip for the Mk2 or the coming Mk3)...

I walk around with the grip on :P... Couldn't live without it TBH.. For me the full body form factor just makes the whole camera a lot more balanced, esp with a heavy long lens. Every control on the body make sense ergonomically with the grip on.. While heavier, it's actually not tiresome to use (yeah it's kindda counter intuitive :P)..

For me I find I can get better landscape shots without really framing.. Without the grip my horizon is always slanted..

Packing is a problem, esp when travelling as some airlines place strict restrictions on carry on luggage :(... And not many bags can fit a camera+grip+long lens... Doing fine so far with my Kata bag, which also distributes the weight so well I have no issues with my lower back... ATM with my setup I can easily do 10hr walks without any issues (touch wood)...

For me I find I can get better landscape shots without really framing.. Without the grip my horizon is always slanted..

Always a problem for me until I started lining up the horizon with one of the marks in the view finder. But can easily compensate with the free-form rotation tool in Gimp (most probably a similar tool in Photoshop).

ATM with my setup I can easily do 10hr walks without any issues (touch wood)...

So can I - the only difference being that I spread the 10 hours over 10 days! :ninja:

Always a problem for me until I started lining up the horizon with one of the marks in the view finder. But can easily compensate with the free-form rotation tool in Gimp (most probably a similar tool in Photoshop).

Or a focus screen with gridlines... That will do too.

So can I - the only difference being that I spread the 10 hours over 10 days! :ninja:

LoL... :P