Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Sorry to butt in, but I just got the Panasonic G3 in HK for not much and very happy with it too - twin lens pack.

Can't seem to find any info. What kind of batteries do these babies use?

Have a look at page 2 of the PDF.

Imported a Canone Kiss X4 (EOS-550D) with the basic 18-55 IS lens and a 50mm F1.8 "nifty fifty" as my first real step into learning how to take "proper" photos about a year ago.

I've just got back from 2 weeks in the US, where I took the family to see the STS-135 shuttle launch and then spent the rest of the time in the Orlando theme parks.

I picked up a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM on sale from Best Buy for $500 and set to work to see if I could make the most of the new lens and all the reading I'd done on getting the best from my camera.

This photo says it all for me. This is at the maximum length of the lens, hand held and sitting at the back of a shaded grandstand shooting fast moving subjects in direct sunlight. I'm pretty impressed with this one as well :) All photos are completely untouched and subject to whatever compression photobucket decided to apply to them.

Edited by AndrewW

I've just got back from 2 weeks in the US, where I took the family to see the STS-135 shuttle launch and then spent the rest of the time in the Orlando theme parks.

Historic moment.. Any pics?

This photo says it all for me. This is at the maximum length of the lens, hand held and sitting at the back of a shaded grandstand shooting fast moving subjects in direct sunlight. I'm pretty impressed with this one as well :) All photos are completely untouched and subject to whatever compression photobucket decided to apply to them.

Nice!

Historic moment.. Any pics?

Yes, but I was 20 miles away, there was a fair bit of haze, shooting over water, and handheld + excitement of waiting 9 hours to see the launch means that they aren't fantastic ... I'll see if I can find the best ones to put up.

OK, so after 32 hours of travel to get to Orlando, we had one good night's sleep before getting up at 1am to head to Titusville for the launch. We arrived at 2am and camped out on the edge of the water to wait the 9.5 hours to the launch. The view was pretty amazing. It eventually started to get a bit lighter and the launch structure became more visible. These shots are handheld at 300mm. 20 miles is a long way!

We had a few interesting visitors leading up to the launch, including people with more money than me and some interesting craft to keep spectators from getting to close.

The entire sequence of shots of the launch is in the album here, but some examples are:

Where there's smoke

there's fire

Clearing the tower

Rolling ... Now

Into the clouds

Smoke Trail

All up we were able to see the shuttle for about 15 seconds. 11 hours of waiting for 15 seconds, and I'd do it all again, if I had the chance :(

Here are some photos from the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex two days before the launch.

Tractor used to get the Shuttle to the launch pad

View as the eye sees the shuttle from the viewing point

Zoomed View

Full Zoom

Unfortunately the retractable launch structure wasn't removed until the next day, otherwise I would have had fully un-obscured shots of the shuttle on the launch tower.

Would have loved to have been standing here during the launch :)

Edited by AndrewW

Boy, am I jealous!!!! :wacko:

And some very nice pics into the bargain! :)

jealous in deed. lovely stuff andrew. the 75-300 was a long favourite as a zoom lens for me as well ! maybe one day again. you have me tempted !

ps guys, got an email in the inbox from uncle teds in melb. big price crash on canons pricing on slrs, cameras lenses etc. apparently upto 20% reductions all around.

fantastic to see canon reduce official pricing again :)

woohoo ! lookout...not that really have any money to spend :D

jealous in deed. lovely stuff andrew. the 75-300 was a long favourite as a zoom lens for me as well ! maybe one day again. you have me tempted !

ps guys, got an email in the inbox from uncle teds in melb. big price crash on canons pricing on slrs, cameras lenses etc. apparently upto 20% reductions all around.

Thanks mate. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and a spur of the moment decision. Even with a 20% price reduction, I dare say that the price on Canon goodies will be still be horrendously more expensive than importing. For instance Teds want $850 for the 70-300 and I paid just over $500 for it :)

Give it another year or so and I reckon I'll be looking to upgrade my 550D, it does feel a bit toy like with the big lens attached, I think it would be more balanced with a 7D behind it.

Thanks mate. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and a spur of the moment decision. Even with a 20% price reduction, I dare say that the price on Canon goodies will be still be horrendously more expensive than importing. For instance Teds want $850 for the 70-300 and I paid just over $500 for it :)

Give it another year or so and I reckon I'll be looking to upgrade my 550D, it does feel a bit toy like with the big lens attached, I think it would be more balanced with a 7D behind it.

yeah probably depends what item looking at too. as the 17-40L that has had my interest, its a $200 difference between local and grey now. ofcourse with local thats rrp and can usually walk in and haggle between 10-20% off easy. so nothing in it with a local warranty for bonus :)

the 7D is an absolute beauty, only thing miss on it is a full frame. hang in there I reckon, as to be honest I'm not sure apart from some functionality and ergonomics much really between the cameras 7D and below in photos can take with them. but they do seem to just get better and better with every release.

with cameras I always buy local too because for local waranty so pleased to see theyve dropped in price as well. makes more eager to see if there is a 5D3 on the horizon :D

All up we were able to see the shuttle for about 15 seconds. 11 hours of waiting for 15 seconds, and I'd do it all again, if I had the chance :(

Excellent shots! It is historic, end of an era so to speak.. You're one of the few to witness it live... Kudos... :)

have you ? :o

Sorry! Been at the hospital - CC will be out of intensive care some time in October. :(