Camera & Photo Chat

7D comes instore middle of the month apparently. which is hopefully this time next week ! :huh:

Have you got confirmation that you'd get it? Or a number? Not sure how Ted works. :lol: This time next week sounds so far away right now...

anyways the 100mm L series macro apparently available today for $1.3k not that its much use without a body :rolleyes:

$1.3k... Hmm.. Confirmed pricing? You can always get one to marvel first... :P Hopefully more reviews will come out soon. And hopefully somebody will sell their old 100mm to upgrade.. :P Am interested to know how this new hybrid IS works (don't really have much time to read up the literature recently :()...

ps what was the thing they been hiding under the covers treb ? or was it a red herring :P

Red herring. :lol:... Indeed it was, some Adobe thing IIRC.. Nothing EOS related.... Canon should just stick to making cameras and SED TVs... :angry:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators
Have you got confirmation that you'd get it? Or a number? Not sure how Ted works. :lol: This time next week sounds so far away right now...

~

oh just a voice on a phone, give or take a week or a month I imagine :lol:

~

$1.3k... Hmm.. Confirmed pricing? You can always get one to marvel first... :P Hopefully more reviews will come out soon. And hopefully somebody will sell their old 100mm to upgrade.. :P Am interested to know how this new hybrid IS works (don't really have much time to read up the literature recently :()...

~

$1327 from camera direct, DD photo graphics a bit cheaper or was it slightly more ? but said they had it coming in today. no old 100 for sale here :P

~

Red herring. :lol:... Indeed it was, some Adobe thing IIRC.. Nothing EOS related.... Canon should just stick to making cameras and SED TVs... :angry:

was it a canon thing ? suspect just another rumour to keep the imagination ticking along :D SEDTVs hahaha

oh just a voice on a phone, give or take a week or a month I imagine :lol:

I remember situations like that (not sure what I got).. but I always have the phone on the desk by my side while working, and by the bedside table while sleeping.. Forever checking that the battery is full :lol:...

$1327 from camera direct, DD photo graphics a bit cheaper or was it slightly more ? but said they had it coming in today. no old 100 for sale here :P

Ah, imports prices right? As I don't own a zoom lens as yet I'd think i'd skip this lens for now and get a 70-200 first (still deciding on whether to get a F2.8 or the F4 IS) .. And maybe a 17-40 if budget allows.. But for that to happen, I need the AUD to rise!!!! :ninja:

was it a canon thing ? suspect just another rumour to keep the imagination ticking along :D SEDTVs hahaha

It is, I think... I've only read the first paragraph to be honest. :P

Done any videos yet?

A video my friend made with his 5Dm2 up north...

Everything is done in auto mode (not sure what that is :lol: ) so some scenes were not exposed correctly (no live view?).. But even as a flash video, it's amazing... The DO lens with its mystic rings might work wonders too.. I wonder why he didn't take some night shots... must be drunk. :ninja:

Have to resist temptation for now, but ultimately I would love to get into video photography.. After I've at least get some ok still photos first.. :P

And I love the "something static, something animated" scenes, exactly the same thing I would like to do...

So many possibilities..... :wub:

one powerball....

Edit: Nikon D3s is out too.. :wub:

Edited by treblid
  • Moderators
Done any videos yet?

A video my friend made with his 5Dm2 up north...

Everything is done in auto mode (not sure what that is :lol: ) so some scenes were not exposed correctly (no live view?).. But even as a flash video, it's amazing... The DO lens with its mystic rings might work wonders too.. I wonder why he didn't take some night shots... must be drunk. :ninja:

Have to resist temptation for now, but ultimately I would love to get into video photography.. After I've at least get some ok still photos first.. :P

And I love the "something static, something animated" scenes, exactly the same thing I would like to do...

So many possibilities..... :wub:

one powerball....

Edit: Nikon D3s is out too.. :wub:

powerball hehe

that is some awesome shots htere treb, I do like the video mixed in with still. some really lovely scenery, love the beach shots and sun sets etc. looks like a lovely spot and your friend is pretty tallented to put together something like that :)

the video is super simple not sure I mentioned but can use it anytime and can take still shots anytime. super impressed with the quality of the video as a mater of fact. not done anything with it though, just mucking around and no idea what format it even records in :huh: I only have a 4GB card so probably cant get too carried away wiht the video side !

ps posted some more 7d pics, still floating around the garden with the 100L :rolleyes:

powerball hehe

Waiting for it to accumulate to 30. :ninja:

that is some awesome shots htere treb, I do like the video mixed in with still. some really lovely scenery, love the beach shots and sun sets etc. looks like a lovely spot and your friend is pretty tallented to put together something like that :)

The Kimberlys.. :wub: But he told me the fishing there not that flashy though..

the video is super simple not sure I mentioned but can use it anytime and can take still shots anytime. super impressed with the quality of the video as a mater of fact. not done anything with it though,

No jello effect? Try it some day and share your experiences, it's like bringing time lapse to a new level. Imagine, the guy thinking he is looking at a still photograph, then something moved... :P

just mucking around and no idea what format it even records in :huh: I only have a 4GB card so probably cant get too carried away wiht the video side !

I think he used 4GB cards too.. ATM I'm hitting him with a lot of D3s stuffs hoping he'd convert.. Even tried silly things like, with that new camera, you can become batman! :lol:

ps posted some more 7d pics, still floating around the garden with the 100L :rolleyes:

Bees.. :( You have a nice garden. :)

hmm, interesting to see some other canon ef mount lenses

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0910/09101202...is28mmcanon.asp

IIRC the distagons 35mm and 24mm are very sharp. But I have never tried it myself.. :P Just been to a local camera shop this arvo (my friends 50mm1.2 died). Wow they are really treating him like royalty... I'm having second thoughts about getting things from overseas now...

7D and 100mmL not available in WA yet, some shipping delay from Sydney.. :ninja::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

treb was at a B'day party yesterday. was a lovely day in melb and decided to give the movie side a run on the 7D. just some little clips of the youngest one playing in the park going up the slide etc. had a look today both my wife and I are gobsmacked with the quality ! :o

I had the 24-105L lens on the camera at the time and not sure if that had anything to do with it but my god I really have not seen video footage of that picture quality before. such a vibrant rich picture ! of such clarity ! and its not like our pana hd camcorder is any slouch ! anyways to the point talking to the wife we might sell of our hdcamcorder :o

treb was at a B'day party yesterday. was a lovely day in melb and decided to give the movie side a run on the 7D. just some little clips of the youngest one playing in the park going up the slide etc. had a look today both my wife and I are gobsmacked with the quality ! :o

Can only imagine.. best of both worlds.. :P Guess it'd be easier too to convince your Mrs the benefits of more lens? :D

I had the 24-105L lens on the camera at the time and not sure if that had anything to do with it but my god I really have not seen video footage of that picture quality before. such a vibrant rich picture ! of such clarity ! and its not like our pana hd camcorder is any slouch ! anyways to the point talking to the wife we might sell of our hdcamcorder :o

Hmm. You and my mate are saying the same thing.. But that will require a lot of memory cards :lol: :lol:

• Moderators
Can only imagine.. best of both worlds.. :P Guess it'd be easier too to convince your Mrs the benefits of more lens? :D

Hmm. You and my mate are saying the same thing.. But that will require a lot of memory cards :lol: :lol:

hehe well we're thinking why carry around the 7D and a hd cam corder if the 7D will do for both duties.

not sure be able to convince her on anymore lenses though !

done a bit mroe playing around this evening. one drawback very apprent straight away is it wont auto focus ofcourse and manual focus only. which maybe not such an issue anyways. but can imagine a no go for some. understand using the canon resource below you can use the auto focus if want to pull something into focus with the shutter button halfway as you would if take a still shot.

http://usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=Ge...;articleID=3050

some excellent other stuff to play around with there with adjustable shutter, iso etc.

also tried some low light stuff and yep does get a tad grainey, but I guess this is where could use a larger apperture lens like the 50 1.4 which is a low light king !

a good seemingly unbiased run down on the video capabilties here as well :)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DVIDEO.HTM

hehe well we're thinking why carry around the 7D and a hd cam corder if the 7D will do for both duties.

True.. Have you compared the filesizes between the 7D and a HD cam? Is one bigger than the other? Or same?

not sure be able to convince her on anymore lenses though !

I think I have successfully convinced mine.. :lol: But will see how it goes.. Might not spend that much after all.

done a bit mroe playing around this evening. one drawback very apprent straight away is it wont auto focus ofcourse and manual focus only. which maybe not such an issue anyways. but can imagine a no go for some. understand using the canon resource below you can use the auto focus if want to pull something into focus with the shutter button halfway as you would if take a still shot.

The 7D video mode is the best Canon can offer atm... Manual focus isn't that bad as it gives you more creativity.. :lol: Future firmwares will prob make it even better, like AF support.

also tried some low light stuff and yep does get a tad grainey, but I guess this is where could use a larger apperture lens like the 50 1.4 which is a low light king !

The graininess look good? What happens if you do it in b/w? Sometimes I find it adds a certain appeal to pictures...But still, thank god for noise reduction filters, :lol:

BTW, have you tried the burst mode and see if there are any image retention issues? Personally I think there's some very creative ways to exploit this... :lol: Better make use of this feature before they fixed it.. :P

• Moderators
True.. Have you compared the filesizes between the 7D and a HD cam? Is one bigger than the other? Or same?

I think I have successfully convinced mine.. :lol: But will see how it goes.. Might not spend that much after all.

The 7D video mode is the best Canon can offer atm... Manual focus isn't that bad as it gives you more creativity.. :lol: Future firmwares will prob make it even better, like AF support.

The graininess look good? What happens if you do it in b/w? Sometimes I find it adds a certain appeal to pictures...But still, thank god for noise reduction filters, :lol:

BTW, have you tried the burst mode and see if there are any image retention issues? Personally I think there's some very creative ways to exploit this... :lol: Better make use of this feature before they fixed it.. :P

treb looking at one example 80mb for 14s so about 320mb/min which is about what the hd camcorder does. they both use avchd, the 7d in a .mov container. so would explain why both similar. Not sure how solid we are as users over a year and a hlf we filled up one 16GB card for our hdcamcorder. so perhaps depends on jsut how heavy a user you are I guess. as an aside, the ps3 doesnt seem to be able to read the .mov files ! though something the macbook and imovie has no trouble at all with. also pretty need wiht hte hdmi out plug the camera straight in the plasma plays through that way as well.

yeah not sure how much a bother havign to do manual focusing is. we went out on a bike ride this morning to see some horses in a field not far from my place that my wife feeds.took a bit of footage to see how it works. not as seamless in use as the camcorder as do need to bother about manual focus. a little bit bulky by comparison to our very compact flash camcorder. otherwise neat to use and that can take the odd still shot while your at it :)

the graininess is ok, just like any other grain. no different. but yeah could always crank up the iso or use larger apperture lenses. I think its pretty cool to have a video camera that can use different lenses adjust iso, play with shutter speed etc. good idea re b&w not something have tried.

watched some of the stuff wiht the horses we took just before. wife said it looks just like being there ! just awesome on the plasma

no not used the burst mode or anything treb. burst modes can be pretty awesome. when I was a child a family friend who was an avid photographer used to take a lot of pics. theres a small burst of shots he took of me playing and my mum. pretty amazing to see !

treb looking at one example 80mb for 14s so about 320mb/min which is about what the hd camcorder does. they both use avchd so would explain why both similar. Not sure how solid we are as users over a year and a hlf we filled up one 16GB card for our hdcamcorder. so perhaps depends on jsut how heavy a user you are I guess.

Thanks for that.. They do chew up a lot of space.. OTOH, was thinking of using the DSLR only for very short clips (more like a moving picture with no sound), so a HD camcorder might still be needed... Decisions... :(

yeah not sure how much a bother havign to do manual focusing is. we went out on a bike ride this morning to see some horses in a field not far from my place that my wife feeds.took a bit of footage to see how it works. not as seamless in use as the camcorder as do need to bother about manual focus. a little bit bulky by comparison to our very compact flash camcorder. otherwise neat to use and that can take the odd still shot while your at it :)

Some day, I will get into this video thingy.. Some day... :lol: Stupid flood took away all my money... :(

I think Canon has a video camera with interchangable lens too right? (But it's pretty expensive)...

watched some of the stuff wiht the horses we took just before. wife said it looks just like being there ! just awesome on the plasma

Quick, sell her the lens idea... :ninja::lol:

no not used the burst mode or anything treb. burst modes can be pretty awesome. when I was a child a family friend who was an avid photographer used to take a lot of pics. theres a small burst of shots he took of me playing and my mum. pretty amazing to see !

Yar, esp kids move so fast, u can totally freeze their facial reactions.. High FPS = higher chance of success in capturing that magical moment..

• Moderators

the new 100L macro gets a good review by dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_...2p8_is_usm_c16/

a great combination with the 7D I reckon, having a lot of fun with it. combined wiht my 24-105L and the 50 1.4 seem to have all bases covered :)

ps treb we decided to not sell our pana hd camcorder in the end. though the 7D is fabulous with the video side it is still a bit hands on in use for taking video with manual focus and being a bit on the bulky side. so keeping the pana SD9 handy cam for those impromtu moments that anyone can grab and use. but will still use the 50D when I can I reckon with the absolutely stunning video output and extremely handy that it has this capablity to grab the odd bit of video. have found my 20-35 can be a good companion for it in video mode and the 50 1.4 amazign in low light, leaps and strides ahead of the pana handy cam in low light :)

the new 100L macro gets a good review by dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_...2p8_is_usm_c16/

a great combination with the 7D I reckon, having a lot of fun with it. combined wiht my 24-105L and the 50 1.4 seem to have all bases covered :)

Conflicted now... :( Kind of tempted to be honest... (My wife loves cooking and I wanna use a 100mm macro lens for this, that or the 85)... Undecided yet, the more I think, the more complicated it seems to be :lol:...

ps treb we decided to not sell our pana hd camcorder in the end. though the 7D is fabulous with the video side it is still a bit hands on in use for taking video with manual focus and being a bit on the bulky side. so keeping the pana SD9 handy cam for those impromtu moments that anyone can grab and use. but will still use the 50D when I can I reckon with the absolutely stunning video output and extremely handy that it has this capablity to grab the odd bit of video. have found my 20-35 can be a good companion for it in video mode and the 50 1.4 amazign in low light, leaps and strides ahead of the pana handy cam in low light :)

7D you mean? :D The wife uses the pana, the husband uses the excellent optics.. :ninja::lol: Best of both worlds really when holidaying..

Did that firmware update resolve the burst mode issues?

• 1 month later...
not even ces yet and looks like canon has more goodies on way

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1001/10010508canon70200isii.asp

That lens is expected for a while now... And I just got myself a 2.8 version the day before the announcement :(, been debating if I should get this for a while now (esp this late). But figured a score of 9.8 at fredmiranda wouldn't hurt :ninja:.

not that can afford to buy, but can drool all over it :lol:

:lol: I give u 3 months before u give up... :D But the old 2.8IS is a very heavy lens, if this new one is lighter, it's a winner.

• Moderators
That lens is expected for a while now... And I just got myself a 2.8 version the day before the announcement :(, been debating if I should get this for a while now (esp this late). But figured a score of 9.8 at fredmiranda wouldn't hurt :ninja:.

:lol: I give u 3 months before u give up... :D But the old 2.8IS is a very heavy lens, if this new one is lighter, it's a winner.

:lol: I do cave easy, but am on a resolution this year *

hehe, a very nice lens no doubt. and congrats on the purchase. can imagine it a pretty hefty thing being an L series zoom in the tele photo range. I dont actually do a lot of photos with a lens of that style at the moment so not sure what I'd use it for if got one. most of my photos mostly is family and friends in and around the house or in the garden or landscapes which the wide end of my 24-105 or my 20-35 suits well for. I do have one zoom in a 75-300 but its an antique, pretty ordinary doesnt get any use since stopped visiting race tracks with car racing and all that. if I got something to replace it, would probably be the 70-300 DO as much smaller lighter. also wonder if the 70-200 would stick out like dogs balls carrying it around out an about. pretty hard to miss with its pro white body !

what do you use yours for treb ?

*ofcourse I know resolutions are made to be broken :D