betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

Anybody applying for photo5???

I suck, so ... Not doing it..

Anybody applying it?

Anybody applying for photo5???

I suck, so ... Not doing it..

Anybody applying it?

you talking about the canon comp ? I did one year along wiht my father in law. but yeah more for the fun. not really good enough. way too many photographers out there with better technique and creativity.

you talking about the canon comp ? I did one year along wiht my father in law. but yeah more for the fun. not really good enough. way too many photographers out there with better technique and creativity.

So doing it again this year? Yeah these photographers are good, real good.. :wub: :wub:

Yeah, I tried it the first year. Seems it's so popular now, they are making you "audition" before you can apply...

JB HiFi offering $100 trade-in on any Canon DSLR sold. Doesn't matter apparently if the camera work or not! As long as it has a lens.

Maybe time to ditch my old film SLR which has been sitting in the cupboard for the last 8 years! Beat JB down on price to near T-Dimension, DWI etc and then get the $100 cashback?

EDIT: Link

Edited by diesel

JB HiFi offering $100 trade-in on any Canon DSLR sold. Doesn't matter apparently if the camera work or not! As long as it has a lens.

Maybe time to ditch my old film SLR which has been sitting in the cupboard for the last 8 years! Beat JB down on price to near T-Dimension, DWI etc and then get the $100 cashback?

EDIT: Link

I've tried JB in the past, when was buying my 40D and then with the 7D. they say they will match other bricks and mortar retailers prices. but even there on both ocassions when I bought they wouldnt match Teds and camera action street prices here (elizabeth street - melbourne) so yeah good luck !

also re t dimension and cameras do be carefull though the lenses from grey importers/overseas come with international warranty. for a camera you have to buy local for a local warranty.

what old camera and lens you going to give away for $100 ?

Up until I bought my Nikon D3100, I had no idea that SD cards came in different speeds. There seems to be huge price differences between different sizes and speeds. The cheapest 16gb class 10 cards I've found are $28 and $29 from U-Mart.

Are there different standards in cards and is buying cheap a bad move?

Up until I bought my Nikon D3100, I had no idea that SD cards came in different speeds. There seems to be huge price differences between different sizes and speeds. The cheapest 16gb class 10 cards I've found are $28 and $29 from U-Mart.

Are there different standards in cards and is buying cheap a bad move?

In general Faster = better.. Your camera can only buffer that many pictures in memory (chk manual), so the faster the card, the faster the buffer is written to disc... Generally only useful if you are in continuous burst mode (for sports, etc) for a long long time...

May or many not need class 10 TBH.. (Think computers bottlenecks), check the speed of your camera and see if you really do need that fast card or not.. (How many RAW and JPEG it can buffer, etc).. To improve throughput, you can do what I did, either output RAW, or JPEG, never RAW+JPEG.

Also cards with faster writes tend to have faster read too. So if you take thousands of pictures, it may copy faster out ... :P

Buying cheap is a bad move.. Make sure they are legit cards, and not a lower capacity 2/4GB with their firmware changed to display as 16GB/32 etc...

personally having carried cards over from previous cameras. you will find depending on file size, with speed of card save times can cause a tad delay with a slow card. also with taking a string of shots with shutter held down or if taking video. thats when will most notice the speed of the camera. but really with any current cards I would be suprised an issue ? If check your camera manual you will usually find card they recommend. buying better than that could be a waste. :)

Yeah, faster cards cost more and may not be needed. The operative word there is "may". When you really need the extra speed it's too late and you've lost the shot! Go for the fastest you can / want to afford. The extra $40 - $60 may be worth it!

Me? A medium speed as I rarely use burst mode and have never used the movie mode. That said, I only shoot it RAW so puts extra loaded on the I/O channel.

I found when I was shooting the V8's, I could only shoot for about three seconds before it froze up. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency in pricing. They're all over the place. Often class 10 were cheaper than class 6. The manual recommends class 6 or above.

Get a recognised brand, eg SanDisk. But make sure it's genuine.

I found when I was shooting the V8's, I could only shoot for about three seconds before it froze up. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency in pricing. They're all over the place. Often class 10 were cheaper than class 6. The manual recommends class 6 or above.

again check what your camera manual suggests. keep in mind its not only card that determine how many shots can take in a burst. the camera tends to have a buffer as well. that soon fills up especially dependant on file size.

Get a recognised brand, eg SanDisk. But make sure it's genuine.

this is very important. I would not touch a sandisk from ebay or over the net. given its likely a one off purchase its something preferable to buy from a bricks and mortar shop.

and yeah like gb I dont take bursts of shots. highest load would be in movie mode which dont use a lot but something never had an issue with either of the sandisk cards I have.

Took the current card out of the camera and found it's an 8gb PQI class 6. It was the one which came with my el cheapo HD video camera. There's a Transcend 16gb class 10 from Computer Alliance for $39 I might get.

No more international warranty on lens it seems (Source from OCAU)...

Canon has announced the introduction of region-limited warranties for Canon interchangeable lenses, Speedlites and IS binoculars for Australia and New Zealand.

Effective today, this change – from international to local warranty – follows on from an across-the-board local price reductions for Canon photographic products in August and the launch on Monday of a Canon retailing website. Canon says these initiatives are designed to 'attract consumer attention locally' in the new globalised marketplace for photographic products.

Doesn't really affect me.. Sending it to Sydney (IIRC), or sending it back to HK and Singapore (time wise it's roughly the same).. If anything I would say sending to Sydney is actually slower... (Touch wood!)

But local prices are getting very competitive now (esp if u can claim the GST), so overall, it's still a good thing IMO...

No more international warranty on lens it seems (Source from OCAU)...

Doesn't really affect me.. Sending it to Sydney (IIRC), or sending it back to HK and Singapore (time wise it's roughly the same).. If anything I would say sending to Sydney is actually slower... (Touch wood!)

But local prices are getting very competitive now (esp if u can claim the GST), so overall, it's still a good thing IMO...

Nothing to say if it is retrospective! :(

Nothing to say if it is retrospective! :(

It'd cost too much on paperwork...

I'm guessing, looking at it on face value, from today onwards Canon Au will only service locally purchased lens (not when you buy it).. Assuming they have all the Au serial numbers onhand etc....

But don't really know, quite vague... OCAU thread.. Nothing on canon.au website.

So could just well be a rumour (hence it seems).

Edited by treblid

It'd cost too much on paperwork...

I'm guessing, looking at it on face value, from today onwards Canon Au will only service locally purchased lens (not when you buy it).. Assuming they have all the Au serial numbers onhand etc....

But don't really know, quite vague... OCAU thread.. Nothing on canon.au website.

So could just well be a rumour (hence it seems).

yeah nothing on canon au and that link doesnt go anyplace ?

Thanks All

Was up in Brisbane today and picked up the 18-200 Canon Lens from my mate and went to Camera Pro in the CBD. Picked up this 600D to suit it. Pretty happy with camera and price (for Australian supplied stock) seem to have bit more substance to it than the 1100D especially with the big lens on it.

yeah nothing on canon au and that link doesnt go anyplace ?

Woops.. fixed.

Thanks All

Was up in Brisbane today and picked up the 18-200 Canon Lens from my mate and went to Camera Pro in the CBD. Picked up this 600D to suit it. Pretty happy with camera and price (for Australian supplied stock) seem to have bit more substance to it than the 1100D especially with the big lens on it.

Congrats... ^_^:wub:

Used the 600D yesterday at my sons AFL GF (they won :D ). WOW WHAT A CAMERA really impressed. I though I took a fair few shots but turned out to be 600+ and not one out of focus really crap shot, there's plenty where I had not got the right framing or angle and shadows on faces etc etc but all the bad shots were me not the camera, not once did it $&@? Around focusing or taking time to take it's shot, the photos are SO vibrant and the colours are supberb.

It wont be me but I can see how DSLR photography can draw so many in to taking the hobby further.

Used the 600D yesterday at my sons AFL GF (they won :D ). WOW WHAT A CAMERA really impressed. I though I took a fair few shots but turned out to be 600+ and not one out of focus really crap shot, there's plenty where I had not got the right framing or angle and shadows on faces etc etc but all the bad shots were me not the camera, not once did it $&@? Around focusing or taking time to take it's shot, the photos are SO vibrant and the colours are supberb.

It wont be me but I can see how DSLR photography can draw so many in to taking the hobby further.

ah yeah jimmy, definitely digital photography is a boon that way - glad your enjoying it. I've found the photos I'm taking definitely improved a fair with camera upgrade have done with DSLRs over the years :) and yeah have not only learnt a lot more about photography and camera a technique over the years but something enjoyed immensely :)

be sure to post us some pics when get a chance so we can share in the joy ! :D

I lent my DSLR to my youngest to take photo's at his sound quality comp last night (which he also won). He took 250 shots. Hoping it comes back today in one piece.

I lent my DSLR to my youngest to take photo's at his sound quality comp last night (which he also won). He took 250 shots. Hoping it comes back today in one piece.

Congrats to your son FMB.

I am reminded by something my father and photographer friend told me years ago, at motor racing they would blow 20-30 rolls of film to get that perfect shot. That's something the amateur or hobbyists couldn't afford to do, but today with digital photography the equivalent is easy and costs nothing.

Out of interest is there anywhere that film is still be used, or is it all digital now?