Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

That's one angry looking cat..... :P

That was the second shot I took. By the time I got the third, she was seriously p***ed. :lol:

I mean, if looks could kill. <_<

That was the second shot I took. By the time I got the third, she was seriously p***ed. :lol:

I mean, if looks could kill. <_<

My wife sometimes can give me that look.. It's her 2nd most powerful weapon and part reason why I'm scared of her... :ninja: Lovely cat though, what's the breed?

Love that golden retriever btw.. :wub: :wub:

My wife sometimes can give me that look.. It's her 2nd most powerful weapon and part reason why I'm scared of her... :ninja: Lovely cat though, what's the breed?

Love that golden retriever btw.. :wub: :wub:

The cat is a Chinchilla Persian. She has a pedigree and she never lets us forget. :lol:

image stabilising is handy in a lens for taking hand held shots in low light and less than ideal conditions. though IS lenses could add a fair bit to cost, the 18-55 is an IS lens its just the 75-300 that isnt. look you could get the 55-250 which is an IS lens as well instead.

http://www.t-dimension.com/revamp/dslr-can...gb-gifts-p-2273

note above is grey market no local warranty(personally I dont like buying bodies overseas as they can play up, lenses do have international warranty). will cost a lot more locally. the body itself is $500 or so so with lenses probably going to cost mroe than either the deal you had or this grey one.

and yeah just matter of tossing up whether want the extra length of the 75-300 or IS on the 55-200. as mentioned with the 75-300 you will have a gap focal length.

I think ill give the canon kit a go, and if the lens give me the sh1ts just go and get something like this "tamron 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" for the $250 asking price and flog the others. I really aren’t into photography enough and don’t want to be, even the discussions here re Photoshop etc don’t excite me.

Sorry guys not trying to be inflammatory just honest re me, I absolutely love admiring great photographs taken by others and admire your interest and advise.

Thanks

I think ill give the canon kit a go, and if the lens give me the sh1ts just go and get something like this "tamron 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS" for the $250 asking price and flog the others. I really aren’t into photography enough and don’t want to be, even the discussions here re Photoshop etc don’t excite me.

Sorry guys not trying to be inflammatory just honest re me, I absolutely love admiring great photographs taken by others and admire your interest and advise.

Thanks

This is the Canon goodies thread and I bought a Nikon without a flame suit. I think it's more about photography than any one brand.

My only advice would be to shop around once you've decided what you want to buy. The cheapest place I found was Digital Camera Warehouse but I got Dick Smith to price match them (mainly because I had a gift voucher for them and their price matching policy is clearly spelled out on their website). The most expensive places I found were Harvey Norman (no surprise there) and Wow Sight and Sound. Stores like JB, Myer, Dick Smith, Good Guys and even Big W were all very similar in price. $10 here or there.

I saved about 10% by shopping around online first. :D

This is the Canon goodies thread and I bought a Nikon without a flame suit.

Be VERY careful opening the parcel you'll receive tomorrow! :lol:

Be VERY careful opening the parcel you'll receive tomorrow! :lol:

Now I'm panicking that someone is going to burst into my office and put a collar bomb around my neck. :o

This is the Canon goodies thread and I bought a Nikon without a flame suit. I think it's more about photography than any one brand.

My only advice would be to shop around once you've decided what you want to buy. The cheapest place I found was Digital Camera Warehouse but I got Dick Smith to price match them (mainly because I had a gift voucher for them and their price matching policy is clearly spelled out on their website). The most expensive places I found were Harvey Norman (no surprise there) and Wow Sight and Sound. Stores like JB, Myer, Dick Smith, Good Guys and even Big W were all very similar in price. $10 here or there.

I saved about 10% by shopping around online first. :D

Thanks for the link, the page locked up but they had the D3100 twin lens kit for $897 that's a good price as I regretted not grabing it duty free the other day as it was $849.

Are you finding with the Nikon that you mostly use the 55-200?

Now I'm panicking that someone is going to burst into my office and put a collar bomb around my neck. :o

That sounds so kinky when you phrase it like that... :/

Thanks for the link, the page locked up but they had the D3100 twin lens kit for $897 that's a good price as I regretted not grabing it duty free the other day as it was $849.

Are you finding with the Nikon that you mostly use the 55-200?

I only got the Nikon at 4pm yesterday. It was 5:30 before the battery was charged. I haven't had much of a chance to do anything yet.

If it's sunny in the morning, I may try and get some shots of the cockatoo's, lorikeets and galahs that come to our bird feeder every day.

I only got the Nikon at 4pm yesterday. It was 5:30 before the battery was charged. I haven't had much of a chance to do anything yet.

If it's sunny in the morning, I may try and get some shots of the cockatoo's, lorikeets and galahs that come to our bird feeder every day.

I would like to "shoot" some cockatoos as well ;)

Edited by achjimmy

Thanks

Yes, quite a few levels to this "hobby". From the people who are happy with a PhD (Push here Dummy) camera to those that obsess over everything.

But beware, photography is addictive as audio! In a few short months you might be back here asking whether you should get a 5D or a 7D :lol:

Yes, quite a few levels to this "hobby". From the people who are happy with a PhD (Push here Dummy) camera to those that obsess over everything.

But beware, photography is addictive as audio! In a few short months you might be back here asking whether you should get a 5D or a 7D :lol:

and that is thing with SLRs today, that you can if you want just put them in auto or P and just use them as point as shoot.

and yeah with the risk once using what you are feel the draw up the ladder to models above ! :D

bring on the 5D3......just as soon as can afford one :lol:

Since when does affordability have to do with things? :wacko:

I got my (minuscule) tax rebate this week. It went straight into the 5D3 fund. Then, today, I got an email from Elusive Disk... :ninja:

Once step forward, three back! :(

Since when does affordability have to do with things? :wacko:

I got my (minuscule) tax rebate this week. It went straight into the 5D3 fund. ~

true :( I have been trying to keep tax return up my sleeve. to bring some relief when most needed. but yeah just my luck be pretty measly as well and worse still be putting hand in my pocket ! :unsure:

~Then, today, I got an email from Elusive Disk... :ninja:

Once step forward, three back! :(

ooh that gotta hurt :blink:

Yes well aware of the Camera Bug, but I am immune. My dad was heavily into Cameras, even worked as a professional photographer for a while. He had Liecas, Rolliflex, Rollicords, 2 x Mamiya’s and a swag of Pentax’s and lens. He got me a Pentax and then proceeded to stock me with Lens. I had them right up to 600mm and a swanky macro lens. I hated it and hated changing lens. The whole lot was Stolen in a house robbery and the insurance on all the bloody stuff turned out to pay for a Pentax Z20 auto SLR, Sony 8mm handicam and a JVC hifi VCR. Best bloody use that original camera ever was to me, i used the daylights out of those 3 items and the hifi vcr got me into HT and HiFi! I loved the Z20 and still have it. It had a 28-85 lens, that’s why I am sure I need more as it ran short at sports events.

I am a little confused with Lens decriptions.

IE

Canon Lens 18-200mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS

Compact, lightweight and a wide magnification range - this standard zoom lens features a wide focal length range from normal to telephoto equivalent to 29-320mm in the 35mm format.

So comparing it to my old 35mm Pentax it would be the same wide angle (29mm) but go out to the equivlent of 300mm?

I am a little confused with Lens decriptions.

IE

Canon Lens 18-200mm EF-S f/3.5-5.6 IS

Compact, lightweight and a wide magnification range - this standard zoom lens features a wide focal length range from normal to telephoto equivalent to 29-320mm in the 35mm format.

So comparing it to my old 35mm Pentax it would be the same wide angle (29mm) but go out to the equivlent of 300mm?

yep because its an ef-s lens to be used on a "crop" camera, ie use a crop factor of 1.6x. so 18 mm gives field of view of 29mm and 200mm field of view of 320 :)

personally rather than a lens of such massive zoom which will no doubt incorporate massive compromises. better to get two lenses to split the focal lenght over two better lenses.

You can use free apps like Picasa to resize (or gimp for more full featured).. Or if you have kids, get Photoshop, etc...

In general, shoot in RAW, then export to lower res JPEGs to preserve the quality (and you only loose data once)...

What apps are people using to process their photos?

Aperture? Photoshop? Anything else?

personally rather than a lens of such massive zoom which will no doubt incorporate massive compromises. better to get two lenses to split the focal lenght over two better lenses.
While I agree with this sentiment, I think for beginners the minor compromises are easily overlooked when you have one lens that does it all instead of having to carry 2 or more lens and having to switch them all the time. Achjimmy is only looking for an all-rounder entry level setup.

Small steps Al. Let him get a taste for it and then we can watch hime grow his lens fetish! :ninja:;)

What apps are people using to process their photos?

Aperture? Photoshop? Anything else?

Gimp - the best thing going for it is that it's free, as in beer! :)

While I agree with this sentiment, I think for beginners the minor compromises are easily overlooked when you have one lens that does it all instead of having to carry 2 or more lens and having to switch them all the time. Achjimmy is only looking for an all-rounder entry level setup.

Small steps Al. Let him get a taste for it and then we can watch hime grow his lens fetish! :ninja:;)

A fiendish plan - I like it! :ninja:

It would appear that I've been talked into giving the camera a workout here on Sunday. :D

It would appear that I've been talked into giving the camera a workout here on Sunday. :D

Gees, it's tough being you! :lol:

Gees, it's tough being you! :lol:

Absolutely. I have one day to figure out how to take photos of cars doing 250 kph. Either that or I'll just get them while there in the pits.

It's apparently an early fathers' day present which I'll have to pay for myself. What is it with that?