Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

30mp?!!! Mr Piggy Bank meet Mr Hammer! :o

:lol::wub: Bear in mind though CR isn't really reliable. :P But far easier to read that blog than to trawl through DPreview's forum...

Trying my best not to purchase anything over $1k for myself this year.. Hope I will not break my resolution... B)

According to CR, Canon factories will be back online at the end of Apr (linky).

And GB, may want to consider this (APS-C 11mm/F2) for ur 7D?... The only problem is this lens is still vapourvare... :P

But it's APS-C - can't use it on a 5D3! :o But I'll have to wait for that, Al's jumped the queue and is standing in front of me! :lol:

But it's APS-C - can't use it on a 5D3! :o But I'll have to wait for that, Al's jumped the queue and is standing in front of me! :lol:

Push him out of the way.. :ninja:... 5D3.. Dunno.. Mirror so big... It's quite violent ... Didn't realise I know this before, but just hearing the mirror action one can actually know if it's a FF or not.. :lol:

Push him out of the way.. :ninja:... 5D3.. Dunno.. Mirror so big... It's quite violent ... Didn't realise I know this before, but just hearing the mirror action one can actually know if it's a FF or not.. :lol:

The mirror in a FF can't be bigger than the mirror in a 35mm SLR.

:D

I wish ! :o

after the earlier than anticipated macbook pro purchase has put a big dent in the war chest ! :blush:

for those wondering how canon japans been affected by the whole earthquake tsunami business, below a bit of a run down, this news was current april 4th, and imagine the effect on the fukushima facility is drastically differnet given current situation there, as an aside stock levels being reported as pretty low in the US, mostly sold out on the lieks of 5D2 7D and the like, not sure whats like here,

http://www.canon.com/news/2011/apr04e.html

Recovery Status Report for Canon Inc. and Canon Group Following Great East Japan Earthquake

TOKYO, April 4, 2011—The Great East Japan Earthquake, which struck off the northeast coast of Japan's main island of Honshu on March 11, caused massive damage and loss of life in the area. We at Canon extend our heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this disaster, along with their families and loved ones. We pray for the safety of everyone in affected areas and hope that the region will soon be able to begin the rebuilding and healing process.

As for the Canon Group, immediately following the earthquake, Canon Inc. established the Earthquake Disaster Recovery Task Force (Task Force Chief: Chairman & CEO Fujio Mitarai), launching recovery activities spanning development, production and sales operations through a collective effort across the Canon Group.

Although the Canon Group sustained damage to buildings and production equipment, a concerted Company-wide effort has already made possible the resumption of production activities at multiple Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies. In addition, through ongoing recovery measures being carried out in conjunction with related divisions, all Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies are expected to achieve a full recovery as of the end of April.

With regard to the multiple operation sites and Canon Group companies in Japan that sustained no direct damage due to the earthquake and its aftermath, the Company is left with no alternative but to continue adjusting some production activities due to rolling blackouts and procurement conditions for raw materials, parts and other supplies.

The status of major Canon Group operating sites as of Monday, April 4, is outlined below.

Operating Status of Operation Sites and Canon Group Companies

Canon Group Operation Sites

Optics R&D Center, Utsunomiya Office (Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture)

Operations resumed on March 22 (Tue.)

Currently fully operational

Utsunomiya Plant, Utsunomiya Office (Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture)

Production to sequentially resume from mid April

Utsunomiya Optical Products Plant, Utsunomiya Office (Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture)

Operations to resume in mid April, with production to sequentially resume from same time

Toride Plant (Toride, Ibaraki Prefecture)

Operations resumed on March 18 (Fri.)

Currently carrying out intermittent production

Ami Plant (Inashiki-gun, Ibaraki Prefecture)

Operations resumed on March 17 (Thur.)

Canon Group Companies

Canon Precision Inc. (Hirosaki, Aomori Prefecture)

Operations resumed on March 23 (Wed.)

Canon Chemicals Inc.: Headquarters & Tsukuba Plant (Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture) / Iwama Plant (Kasama, Ibaraki Prefecture)

Operations resumed at headquarters and Tsukuba Plant on March 22 (Tue.)

Operations resumed at Iwama Plant on March 28 (Mon.)

Currently almost fully operational

Fukushima Canon Inc. (Fukushima, Fukushima Prefecture)

Canon Mold Co., Ltd. (Kasama, Ibaraki Prefecture)

Currently almost fully operational

Oita Canon Inc. (Kunisaki, Oita Prefecture)

Operations resumed on April 1 (Fri.)

Nagasaki Canon Inc. (Hasami-cho, Higashisonogi-gun, Nagasaki Prefecture)

Operations resumed on March 30 (Wed.)

Canon Optron, Inc. (Yuki, Ibaraki Prefecture)

Production to sequentially resume from early April

Other Factors

1) Depending on the procurement conditions for raw materials, parts and other supplies, production at Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies, including those mentioned above, may become intermittent.

2) In regions subject to scheduled rolling blackouts, ensuring stable operations may prove difficult due to electrical outages.

guys am considering selling my canon 20-35 3.5-4.5USM ultra wide zoom. this is a current canon lens,

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews...ens-Review.aspx

http://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/For-You/Came...f35-45-USM-Lens

its been my trusty landscape and wide zoom, and its a usefull zoom if have a stnadard zoom and want to go wider with what is a quite high quality lens that has reasonably large apperture and takes a nice large filter. In quality its a well made japanese canon lens, a step up from the cheapo plastic kit lenses and what would buy if cant afford the $1k+ L series. I paid quite a bit for it $879 new so its not that cheaper than L series, and even today with our good dollar it still retails for $679. It is a lovely lens in immaculate in condition as new, and will come with original box, manual and original receipt.

a good review from a owner here on the canon website :

Truly wonderful value for money24 October 2010

Chaosphoto, Top 10 Contributor

From KununurraState: Western Australia

Used This Product For: more than 1 year, Expertise Level: Advanced Amateur

Features 5

Performance 5

Quality 4,

Satisfaction 5

I have had this lens for a few years now and it has been my primary landscape lens. I have won a number of awards for images I created with this and have always been very pleased with the quality of the images from it.

I originally bought it to use with an EOS 30 (yes a film camera) and it has since lived on a 5D and now a 5D MkII. It has been all over the world in all sorts of conditions and never given an ounce of trouble.

This isn't an L series lens so I suspect the build quality isn't as high as those but I consider it excellent.

I would absolutely reccomend it to anyone who can't afford the L series

Pros: Superior build quality, Super-sharp images, Fast auto-focus

Price ? $300. and am happy to post anywhere in australia.

some pics

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...t&p=1695165

Fattening up the piggy bank in anticipation of a 5D3? :D

Good luck with the sale as it really is a good range of focal lengths for landscape use.

Fattening up the piggy bank in anticipation of a 5D3? :D

Good luck with the sale as it really is a good range of focal lengths for landscape use.

hehe how did you guess ! definitely can do with a bit of fattening up :D

thanks yeah hopefully just the ticket for someone looking :)

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Digital_Photo...dustry/J7A4P9C9

interesting article there saying canon in oz loosing 30% sales to grey imports. its a little flawed in that at the core of it canon japan I dont know gives a sh!t as they still get the sales, just through another outlet that doesnt happen to be in oz and guess what without the added cost of having to support in after sales !

all that said canon oz has been quite astute of late, as shown a week or so back where I had noticed hardly much disparity between some local pricing and through grey importers like dd photo graphics. if I were buying a 17-40 L tomorrow for instance I'd be buying local without a doubt :)

My son has the 50D and wants me to buy a EF 50mm 1.4 lens for him in HK in about a months time.

I checked and there is a newer Sigma lens on the DP review website that compares very well - a newer lens compared to the almost 30 year old lens from Canon.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

My son has the 50D and wants me to buy a EF 50mm 1.4 lens for him in HK in about a months time.

I checked and there is a newer Sigma lens on the DP review website that compares very well - a newer lens compared to the almost 30 year old lens from Canon.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

a bit of a comparison here aloy :)

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00RtVc

I have the canon 50mm and its a beauty, re buying lens from hk, jsut check prices through places like DD photographics, you might actually find it cheaper :)

whcih ever way you go, one lens have foreever I think !

a bit of a comparison here aloy :)

http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00RtVc

I have the canon 50mm and its a beauty, re buying lens from hk, jsut check prices through places like DD photographics, you might actually find it cheaper :)

whcih ever way you go, one lens have foreever I think !

Thanx for that Al,

Both lenses good but:

"So what to do? Heck if I know. The Canon with an aftermarket rubber hood seems to be about $100 cheaper than the Sigma - this is, IMO, a significant difference.'

That's a good enough reason to stay with Canon I guess!!

I will be HK so I can take Oz prices with me to Mongkok and make the decision there.

Thanx for that Al,

Both lenses good but:

"So what to do? Heck if I know. The Canon with an aftermarket rubber hood seems to be about $100 cheaper than the Sigma - this is, IMO, a significant difference.'

That's a good enough reason to stay with Canon I guess!!

I will be HK so I can take Oz prices with me to Mongkok and make the decision there.

Sigma lens are known to have focus/sharpness issues, not a prob if your lens can do micro focus adjustments... OTOH, the Canon 50/1.4 even with it's USM has one of the highest failure rates :ninja:...