Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

must admit, looking at the 100-400 and 70-300, youd be hard pressed wondering why youd grab the 70-300 at pretty much same price.

not that can afford either, good thing no spare cash rattling around :D

Two words: Credit Card :winky:

One word: Divorce

:o

Been considering both of these myself as a possible addition and I actually think the 70-300 may be the better option in terms of 'usability' being lighter, more compact and faster focusing.....

Have a look at the pics I posted in the 'post your pics' thread (though they lost quite a bit of sharpness in size reduction) using my 15-85, the extra reach isn't everything!

Plus I'm not sure about the slider arangement used for the zoom mechanism on the 100-400 versus the more common twist used on other canon lenses......

Have a read of this thread on dpreview forums for some thoughts from owners, often of both lenses.

Not that I'll be buying anything anytime soon...... :P

Two words: Credit Card :winky:

One word: Divorce

:o

another couple of words,

nuts -> freezer :lol:

Been considering both of these myself as a possible addition and I actually think the 70-300 may be the better option in terms of 'usability' being lighter, more compact and faster focusing.....

Have a look at the pics I posted in the 'post your pics' thread (though they lost quite a bit of sharpness in size reduction) using my 15-85, the extra reach isn't everything!

Plus I'm not sure about the slider arangement used for the zoom mechanism on the 100-400 versus the more common twist used on other canon lenses......

Have a read of this thread on dpreview forums for some thoughts from owners, often of both lenses.

~

its canons fault creating choice ! or is that quandry :D

~.

atleast we have one thing in common B)

Re 100-400 slide mechanism: after a very short while, the slide arrangement becomes second nature. As I, and others elsewhere, have pointed out, you have to remember to "lock" the lens after use to prevent it from sliding out to its full extent when you point the camera downwards. But, again, this quickly becomes second nature.

its canons fault creating choice ! or is that quandry :D

Another option you may consider is to get a 70-200/2.8 (with or without IS), then matched with either a TC 1.4x (F4) or 2.0x (F5.6)...

Downside is either options are not very travel friendly, and hassle to swap lens.. But that's why people get 2 bodies... :lol::ninja::P

Basically everything is shut down @ Canon Japan plants...

link...

I guess prob making toys are the last thing on their minds right now.. Which is a good thing i guess, so many bills to pay lately, may give 5D3 a miss..

OTOH, 5D2 is now pretty cheap in Oz.. $4k with 24-105F4 @ JB..

And some "news" re 5DMk3

EDIT: Starting to get very sick of the 7D's FOVCF! Or that might be just the excuse to upgrade when the 5D3 arrives. :winky:

Edited by gone_bush

And some "news" re 5DMk3

EDIT: Starting to get very sick of the 7D's FOVCF! Or that might be just the excuse to upgrade when the 5D3 arrives. :winky:

the 1Ds could come next year...with all thats going on in japan probably last thing on their minds :unsure:

so doesnt mean we're any closer...if thats any comfort

~

what is that exactly ? might give me something to start getting sick about in regards the 7D the damn thing just works ! full frame maybe only reason excuse I got to be looking out for the 5D3 :ninja:

what is that exactly ? might give me something to start getting sick about in regards the 7D the damn thing just works ! full frame maybe only reason excuse I got to be looking out for the 5D3 :ninja:

Bingo I think. FOVCP = Field of View Crop factor?

Not sure if that's really a big deal TBH, since there are ultra wide angle EF-S lens, and ample megapixels for crop sensors... And modern DiGIC processors to cut down noise levels etc....

There are actually some cons with FF... Vignetting is one? Big sensor also = big dust magnet...

Bingo I think. FOVCP = Field of View Crop factor?

Not sure if that's really a big deal TBH, since there are ultra wide angle EF-S lens, and ample megapixels for crop sensors... And modern DiGIC processors to cut down noise levels etc....

There are actually some cons with FF... Vignetting is one? Big sensor also = big dust magnet...

dont have crop lenses and wont be getting one as full frame is in my future. just feel a bit robbed on the wide end of my 24-105L, its a lovely lens and indoors particularly a bit more width I'd get on it with a full frame be well worth the upgrade :)

handy for land scape shots too with the 24-105 when walking around, love taking landscapes and width is best for those :)

a lot of my shots hand held low light so great low light capability of larger full frame sensor probably a usefull thing as well !

but yeah am sure can think up more excuses :D

Treb, you are correct re FOVCP, and full frame fixes that.

But I disagree re "Not sure if that's really a big deal TBH, since there are ultra wide angle EF-S lens, and ample megapixels for crop sensors". I mainly take landscape shots (remember I love her wide horizons) so the 1.6 cropping factor is a real PITA. And no amount of ultra-wide lenses will compensate for that.

However I agree that with a poor lens, vignetting can be a problem. The solution is easy - buy good glass, i.e., L's. The hard part with the solution is paying for them. But this, like audio gear, is not a cheap hobby to do "right".

Now, does all that mean I've justified a 5D3 upgrade? :lol:

Treb, you are correct re FOVCP, and full frame fixes that.

But I disagree re "Not sure if that's really a big deal TBH, since there are ultra wide angle EF-S lens, and ample megapixels for crop sensors". I mainly take landscape shots (remember I love her wide horizons) so the 1.6 cropping factor is a real PITA. And no amount of ultra-wide lenses will compensate for that.

However I agree that with a poor lens, vignetting can be a problem. The solution is easy - buy good glass, i.e., L's. The hard part with the solution is paying for them. But this, like audio gear, is not a cheap hobby to do "right".

what are you using for your landscapes gb ?

as an alternative I do have a 20-35 that used to use. its actually a decent lens, perhaps unwittingly I seem to just stick with the 24-105L and should perhaps should use my old wide lens a bit more. thing is even wiht that one I still dont get 20mm :blush:

with a crop camera I dont feel enthused buying one of the wide zoom L's either :unsure:

How about this?

Will give you 16mm -> 32mm. On the Nikons this lens is pretty sharp.

The thing with FF is you're using the entire lens (so to speak), and not just the centre. May or may not be a good thing.. e.g. 24mm of the 24-105 has some barrel distortions that's quite visible if you don't correct it after PP.. Bang on a filter (say a CPL) and it'd vignet like crazy, esp in the afternoon...

UWA and WA somehow I feel the 17-40 is better. But havn't try that lens long enough to know for sure.

Well, Canon has dropped prices (5D2 kit is <$4k, used to be $5k?).. But all this price drop is really up in the air as stocks may be hard to get...

:D One advantage of a FF is more light = faster auto focus... Esp if the 5D3 really has the 7D AF system.

I still love my classic 5D.. But The mirror fall off issue still hangs at the back of my head, if not for this issue don't think I'd ever update mine (too lazy to send it to NSW to repair for free)..... That and I suck at photography.. :lol:

what are you using for your landscapes gb ?

as an alternative I do have a 20-35 that used to use. its actually a decent lens, perhaps unwittingly I seem to just stick with the 24-105L and should perhaps should use my old wide lens a bit more. thing is even wiht that one I still dont get 20mm :blush:

with a crop camera I dont feel enthused buying one of the wide zoom L's either :unsure:

I usually use my 15-85. So with a FOVCP of 1.6 that means that I get the equivalent FOV of a 24-136. I also have a 28mm f2.8 prime (so a FOV equivalent of ~45mm) but only use that when I need the f2.8.

Yeah, I know, 24mm should be enough for anyone! But it ain't!

Re "dont feel enthused buying one of the wide zoom L's either": Canon do not give the "L" designation to EF-S lenses so any "L" you buy will be OK on a FF.

How about this?

Will give you 16mm -> 32mm. On the Nikons this lens is pretty sharp.

Yeah, seen that and read a fair few reviews. But there's always something that tells me "no".

The thing with FF is you're using the entire lens (so to speak), and not just the centre. May or may not be a good thing.. e.g. 24mm of the 24-105 has some barrel distortions that's quite visible if you don't correct it after PP.. Bang on a filter (say a CPL) and it'd vignet like crazy, esp in the afternoon...

For such lenses, just use a thin filter. I use them as a matter of course - learned my lesson there years ago. Of course, I don't know what the "modern" thin filters do with a FF digital camera.

UWA and WA somehow I feel the 17-40 is better. But havn't try that lens long enough to know for sure.

Well, Canon has dropped prices (5D2 kit is <$4k, used to be $5k?).. But all this price drop is really up in the air as stocks may be hard to get...

:D One advantage of a FF is more light = faster auto focus... Esp if the 5D3 really has the 7D AF system.

Yep, it will be interesting to see what the 5D3 will include. Obviously, if it doesn't measure up, then the 7D stays.

Shyt, who am I kidding? :wacko:

I still love my classic 5D.. But The mirror fall off issue still hangs at the back of my head, if not for this issue don't think I'd ever update mine (too lazy to send it to NSW to repair for free)..... That and I suck at photography.. :lol:

NSW?!

Re "suck at photography": just tell everyone that that's the way the shot is meant to be. Just look the nay-sayers in the eye and say "Don't you know anything about art"? -_-

interesting comments guys :)

with regard L series wide zooms in the 16-35L or 17-40L

this article an interesting one :)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...non-17-40.shtml

not that really know one way or the other reading it. but suspect money the decider. dont think I'd get one till have a FF though :blush: