Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

~ Now, for that work, you really need a maco lens, say the 100mm? :P

~

I wasnt going to mention that :D

Considered buying a dslr camera on the weekend. Looked at a Canon and a Nikon. Just an entry level camera, mainly because I'll probably never use it. The creepy sales guy at JB was trying to steer me towards the Nikon. It and the Canon were about $1k wit twin lenses.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Try both cameras, hold them in your hand and put it to your eye... Can you adjust all the controls without looking? Which is more intuitive? Which is more comfortable, more balanced, etc... Try the lens and see what feels more natural. Is the focus ring easy to access, is it obscured by the hood, what about the zoom ring.. In general premium Nikon lenses are harder to come by and more expensive. Times may have changed...

For me when it comes to Nikon and Canon.. it's like the left and right hand.. As much as I like the Nikon, it just don't feel "right" for me... But others will feel more at east with the Nikon hardware.

Also, buy what your friends have (esp if they have the premium lens). :lol: If all of them have Canon, it'd be easier for you if you pick up a Canon (or vice versa)...

P.s. there are technical differences, e.g. one is using CCD and the other CMOS (not sure if that has changed), the crop sensor sizes are different, the optics are different, even the coating... But I tend to focus more on the usability.

Considered buying a dslr camera on the weekend. Looked at a Canon and a Nikon. Just an entry level camera, mainly because I'll probably never use it. The creepy sales guy at JB was trying to steer me towards the Nikon. It and the Canon were about $1k wit twin lenses.

Thoughts?

slrs are an amazing bargain these days fmb. but if unsure going to use it, maybe worth borrowing an slr from a friend that way can decide if for you. rather than buying and finding its a waste. also apart from slrs, with the compacts, and micro 4/3rd cameras around eg quality compacts in lumix lx5, sony c3, lumix gf3 , and also the olympus pen options are all very capable of brilliant results if slrs not quite sure about.

re canon nikon, really as far as time goes back its a bit like holden and ford. theyre both pretty damn good. but yeah guys like me been using canon for ever and a day back to film days and no way be swapping to nikon hehe

Thoughts?

My 2c

If you go Canon, maybe look to pick up a runout 500D over the entry model 1100D.

And if you are going for twin kit lens, I would suggest swapping/exchanging them for a 18-135mm lens. It's a much better all-rounder and a good zoom range (~29-210mm film equivalent)

hehe thanks, ofcourse she doesnt know ! :D hopefully its a little non descript box that finds its way quietly into the house !

if its admission in the house is discovered I'll have to fess up. but hopefully when declare that have had to sell three of my other older lenses (75-300, 20-35 and 28-105) thanks to forum members and ebay to fund this one, she'll realise have been a good boy on this occasion. and no further body parts are requested into the freezer :lol:

Sounds like a good defence, whether it convinces the Judge, Jury and Executioner is another matter! :ninja:

yeah not sure re a uv filter, never really use one myself. might be a lens protector than anything else ! do you guys use uv filters much for anything ? I know they served purpose for film cameras ie blocked uv from film sensitive to uv ie prevented blue cast but does it serve any real purpose with non film ie digital slrs ?

UV filters can only do "good" for your shots, either film or digital. But I have used them on all my lenses since the year dot as protection. If you don't have a filter the danger is that you then scratch the front element of your lens. If that happens on the first day of your holiday or at a family gathering etc, you're left with Plan B - which might not exist if you only have one lens.

If you have a UV filter on then you just unscrew it, give yourself a quick uppercut for being a clumsy clot, and continue - but hopefully with a little more care.

And it's a hip pocket thing. Replacing a $50 - $100 filter is going to be cheaper than the repair of you x-y f/z L zoom!

whats a B+W filter ?

As treb pointed out it's a brand of filter - perhaps the best. What I like about them is that the mounting ring is brass and so is supposed to not freeze onto to front of the lens. (The metal in some filters can react with the metal in the lens and cause the filter to freeze onto the lens. Getting it off can be a real PITA.) Not sure if the brass works but I've never had a B+W filter freeze. So far... B)

Some nice images there. The 15-85 is really a very good lens for the price. Now, for that work, you really need a maco lens, say the 100mm? :P

As for software, may I suggest Gimp. It runs on Windows, is free and is a full-blown image processing system. But don't worry, re-sizing an image can be done in just two or three mouse clicks.

If I was to buy another lens then a 100mm macro (probably L-series) would be next on the list, however, given I hardly use the camera as it is, there are other priorities for spending when I (eventually) have any spare money.....

Thanks for the suggestion on the software I'll give it a whirl when I get the chance...... Bring on the Gimp! :P

My 2c

If you go Canon, maybe look to pick up a runout 500D over the entry model 1100D.

And if you are going for twin kit lens, I would suggest swapping/exchanging them for a 18-135mm lens. It's a much better all-rounder and a good zoom range (~29-210mm film equivalent)

Second this recommendation...... However the 550D is the superseeded version, they're up to the 600D now...... :wacko:

UV filters can only do "good" for your shots, either film or digital. But I have used them on all my lenses since the year dot as protection. If you don't have a filter the danger is that you then scratch the front element of your lens. If that happens on the first day of your holiday or at a family gathering etc, you're left with Plan B - which might not exist if you only have one lens.

If you have a UV filter on then you just unscrew it, give yourself a quick uppercut for being a clumsy clot, and continue - but hopefully with a little more care.

And it's a hip pocket thing. Replacing a $50 - $100 filter is going to be cheaper than the repair of you x-y f/z L zoom!

As treb pointed out it's a brand of filter - perhaps the best. What I like about them is that the mounting ring is brass and so is supposed to not freeze onto to front of the lens. (The metal in some filters can react with the metal in the lens and cause the filter to freeze onto the lens. Getting it off can be a real PITA.) Not sure if the brass works but I've never had a B+W filter freeze. So far... B)

Pretty much the same reason I use UV filters on all of my lenses! :)

However in the ongoing arguements that never end (Holden/Ford, Canon/Nikon, IBM/Apple) I use Hoya Filters...... :ninja:

Pretty much the same reason I use UV filters on all of my lenses! :)

However in the ongoing arguements that never end (Holden/Ford, Canon/Nikon, IBM/Apple) I use Hoya Filters...... :ninja:

Yep, agree re the Holden / Ford thing.

The only reason I use B+W and not Hoya (I've read a LOT of good reviews about them) is that some people have mentioned that they can be hard to clean. It appears that, for some people, they smudge and the smudged material can be hard to remove.

I've had Hoya filters in the dim and distant past and I cannot recall having that problem. But when I started getting back into photography, it was that bad review item that caused me to go down the B+W route. That and the brass thingy. Needless to say that I'm very happy with my B+W filters.

Second this recommendation...... However the 550D is the superseeded version, they're up to the 600D now...... :wacko:

The 500D is about 2-3 years old and doesn't do video IIRC, but IMO would be a better entry level than the 1100D which is the entry level model. Otherwise, as you say, a 550D (they are still being sold) or a 600D are better options again, but you start going up in prices then.

Another Hoya boya here!

The 500D is about 2-3 years old and doesn't do video IIRC, but IMO would be a better entry level than the 1100D which is the entry level model. Otherwise, as you say, a 550D (they are still being sold) or a 600D are better options again, but you start going up in prices then.

Another Hoya boya here!

B+W is better. :ninja: Hoya UV filter (whatever model I have) tends to flare very easily depending on where the sun/light source is... The hoya ring is also made of aluminum (and as GB said will fuse to the lens thread if stayed attached for long).. And best to use a tool to remove the filter than using hand, as too much pressure will bend the rings and damage the thread...

But it's just a personal preference at the end of the day..

There was a thread about pies :wub:... And my wife made sausage rolls last week: linky... These are incredibly tasty and my picts serve 'em no justice unfortunately... :(

Finally managed to get out this arvo.....

Although the light wasn't great at least it had stopped raining for a bit! :P

They come in Black as well. :ninja:

Hmmmmm....... I really need to get some better image re-sizing software, they've lost a bit in the shrinking....... :(

I think this shot (enlarged) of Macropidia fuliginosa would have to be as good as you could find on the www.

Very rare I imagine in Sydney.

For me a pleasure and a joy to view it.

ok ! anti climax !

17-40 L :D

most seen that coming. but yeah am still waiting :(

~

well out of blue, bang it arrives today. about the same time T dimension tells me via email its shipped ! :D

its a beauty for sure, have take a few shots around the house. And its working very well for indoors low light hand held which is a surprise ! even if not for landscapes appreciate the additional width and it has the same sort of rich depth of colour the 24-105L has to it. very pleased so far :)

couple of quick pics,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12019

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12020

couple of quick pics,

I'm guessing ur wife isn't home? This is a great lens to match with the 7D.. Congrats!!!!!

I'm guessing ur wife isn't home? This is a great lens to match with the 7D.. Congrats!!!!!

she was home actually, its her day off ! she signed for it :o

no grumblings :unsure: I guess slipped through the keeper. maybe am in the good books .....well ..... either that or the penance is to come later :lol:

it is working out a nice match for 7D. pleased. wish wasnt raining out side or I'd be out and about snapping away hehe

she was home actually, its her day off ! she signed for it :o

no grumblings :unsure: I guess slipped through the keeper. maybe am in the good books .....well ..... either that or the penance is to come later :lol:

Lucky you.. :lol:

it is working out a nice match for 7D. pleased. wish wasnt raining out side or I'd be out and about snapping away hehe

Do you have a 70-200 yet? If not, get the F4IS and round out the F4 range... Then all you need in the future are primes... :wub: :wub: Now may be the best time to buy (before the repricing kick in after the AUD drop?)

In the 70-200mm range is it better to get the F4IS or the 2.8 nonIS?

I would mostly be taking outdoor kids sports shots (soccer, baseball). I have a 75-300mmIS (about 5 years old now) and whilst it works reasonably well, it still blurs on fast action shots, and hoping the faster glass will make me look better :ninja:

Edited by diesel

well out of blue, bang it arrives today. about the same time T dimension tells me via email its shipped ! :D

its a beauty for sure, have take a few shots around the house. And its working very well for indoors low light hand held which is a surprise ! even if not for landscapes appreciate the additional width and it has the same sort of rich depth of colour the 24-105L has to it. very pleased so far :)

couple of quick pics,

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12019

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?act=att...st&id=12020

Nice pics!

Yep, wide angles not just for landscapes. They are quite often used for shots of groups of people, not individuals for obvious reasons. Also used by people doing interior shots for Real Estate agents.

Also, wide angle lens also tend to have a big Depth Of Field so interesting shots can be had by composing a shot with somthing only centimetres from the lens.

Then all you need in the future are primes... :wub: :wub:

With the quality of modern zooms the PITA factor of changing prime lenses push them right into the "special application" category, e.g., my 100mm macro.

Now may be the best time to buy (before the repricing kick in after the AUD drop?

Too late - just checked the price of my 24-105. It's up by ~AU$50. I'm glad I jumped when I did. Unfortunately that's my "win" for this decade - will now have to wait for 2020. But at least I can save by not having to buy a Lotto ticket each week! :ninja:

I would mostly be taking outdoor kids sports shots (soccer, baseball). I have a 75-300mmIS (about 5 years old now) and whilst it works reasonably well, it still blurs on fast action shots, and hoping the faster glass will make me look better :ninja:

Hmm, the 75-300 is f/4-5.6. I don't think your problem is with the lens. Try a higher ISO setting which, of course, means a higher shutter speed. Try faster panning. Get a monopod - much cheaper than a new lens.

BTW: It is said that IS allows you around 2 - 3 f-stops due to increased stability. Personally, I'd go for the IS lens - which is the reason I went for the 24-105.

All that said, if motive is a new toy, all the above is sh!t! :lol:

diesel one thing I very quickly learnt when had the 17-55 f2.8 IS was IS and large apperture f2.8 doesnt matter a cracker when trying to catch fast moving object like kids ! all the large apperture helps with is low light and IS only helps with trembling hands rather than anything the object is doing :)

look a large apperture on a zoom is usefull as with IS for hand held shots especially as light drops off. and also if want to get a zoom shot with very shallow depth of field ie with a candid portrait from a distance. but other wise a smaller apperture lens will work just as well.

for your scenario I'd go higher/faster shutter speed to freeze action ! and worst case in p mode it might bump up iso if getting dark and if worried about trembling hand held shots grab a tripod or somewhere to rest your hands. but otherwise have a peep in this thread here

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...mp;changemode=1

(from nikon enemy side) but will show what action shots can take at f4 !

if have the 75-300 IS , I would stick with it :) but yeah if just an excuse for shopping what can we say hehe

Nice pics!

Yep, wide angles not just for landscapes. They are quite often used for shots of groups of people, not individuals for obvious reasons. Also used by people doing interior shots for Real Estate agents.

Also, wide angle lens also tend to have a big Depth Of Field so interesting shots can be had by composing a shot with somthing only centimetres from the lens.

yes thats definitely up my alley. look am a big fan of landscapes too. but just not being able to get out and about as much I think its definitely going to pay in all these other uses :)

Lucky you.. :lol:

Do you have a 70-200 yet? If not, get the F4IS and round out the F4 range... Then all you need in the future are primes... :wub: :wub: Now may be the best time to buy (before the repricing kick in after the AUD drop?)

ah no treb, have done my dash. I do need to concentrate saving now to get the damn pj up ! and ofcourse for the 5D3 when ever it hits

I agree with GB, primes have sort of lost their fashion given just how good zooms are these days. my one prime I do have though in the 50 1.4 though still pretty special. but want to keep the lens count down.

I would like to get a telephoto zoom one day. but yeah very confused re the 70-200 f? IS and the 70-300L both of which hard to pick between and great lenses :)