Camera & Photo Chat

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have much preferred my next camera body pruchase to be a full frame, but this is rather tempting ! :rolleyes::blush:

I prefer FF too.. :P (e.g. the ability to shoot almost everything anywhere using natural light, the 5D2 will prob be even better at this)... But there are limitations though, e.g. in sports (where one prob needs a lot of skill to do it well).

That said, FF shines (IMO) shooting portraits and landscape.. 200mm at 2.8 really makes the subject pops out... (Good lens the 70-200, I hope my wife allows me to buy one hiaz)...

My friend will be coming back to work next week.. Can't wait to see his pictures, etc, and hear what he thinks of it (assuming he didn't drop it into the ocean)..

Seems like the 5D MkII would be a better buy then?

Or this?? I wanna know what's under it, dammit!!!!

• Moderators
I prefer FF too.. :P (e.g. the ability to shoot almost everything anywhere using natural light, the 5D2 will prob be even better at this)... But there are limitations though, e.g. in sports (where one prob needs a lot of skill to do it well).

That said, FF shines (IMO) shooting portraits and landscape.. 200mm at 2.8 really makes the subject pops out... (Good lens the 70-200, I hope my wife allows me to buy one hiaz)...

My friend will be coming back to work next week.. Can't wait to see his pictures, etc, and hear what he thinks of it (assuming he didn't drop it into the ocean)..

Or this?? I wanna know what's under it, dammit!!!!

looks like the 7D is on the canon website now

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/d...eos7d_body.aspx

$2699 rrp. which is good to see.

ok anyone after a mint condition 40D body :lol:

it comes fully boxed as new still under extended warranty and with all accesories inclduing a couple of spare batteries :mellow:

looks like the 7D is on the canon website now

http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/d...eos7d_body.aspx

$2699 rrp. which is good to see.

Must say, the price is pretty attractive.. :) OTOH.... *cough* +$1.3k extra for FF? *cough*... This is not like paying something extra to get a brand name or badge, it's from APS-C to FF). (But IIRC the 5D don't have as many video modes as the 7D so that could be a negative.)

Not gonna wait for what comes 29??? It's a frikkin big box, and covered in red silk... :wub:

ok anyone after a mint condition 40D body :lol:

it comes fully boxed as new still under extended warranty and with all accesories inclduing a couple of spare batteries :mellow:

JIC, recently I think AustPost do not allow people to post Li-ion batteries by air anymore.. So if interstate buyer, the batteries have to be sent by road....

• Moderators
Must say, the price is pretty attractive.. :) OTOH.... *cough* +$1.3k extra for FF? *cough*... This is not like paying something extra to get a brand name or badge, it's from APS-C to FF). (But IIRC the 5D don't have as many video modes as the 7D so that could be a negative.)

Not gonna wait for what comes 29??? It's a frikkin big box, and covered in red silk... :wub:

JIC, recently I think AustPost do not allow people to post Li-ion batteries by air anymore.. So if interstate buyer, the batteries have to be sent by road....

dont care so much for the video modes, if I went for the 5D2 I'd miss the pop up flash. and the jump from a 40D to a 7D sems just about stomachable with selling my 40D than the leap to a 5D2...I've been biding my time for a few years for a FF slr damn it ! :rolleyes:

alright I'll wait till the 29th ! it better be good ! and not just the 28-70 L series with image stabilistaiton or something :P

dont care so much for the video modes, if I went for the 5D2 I'd miss the pop up flash. and the jump from a 40D to a 7D sems just about stomachable with selling my 40D than the leap to a 5D2...I've been biding my time for a few years for a FF slr damn it ! :rolleyes:

True.. Although you can probably get one of that new 220 EXII speedlight :P....

alright I'll wait till the 29th ! it better be good ! and not just the 28-70 L series with image stabilistaiton or something :P

Yah.. Me hope so too... But pretty sure your right on the money.. Guessing myself it's the 24-70 IS too.. But can't really tell coz that silk is in the way... :lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a slight bump that the "big day" is 3-4 days away...

Also in HK, RRP for kit (18-135IS) is 15980HKD, and body is 13480HKD.

Source is here. Go to page 7 for price table..

Of coz buying from overseas means you lose the warranty on the body.. So the prices might sound attractive at first but may not be worth it ultimately..

Edited by treblid

Well unless there is a trick to it.

Not for moi!

Still doesn't work? Interesting..

Go to the Canon HK pressroom and click on the english version of PR announcement. That should work.. It's basically just marketing material, and the relevant info is the price table.

And the 2nd release is the 100mm and 18-135 announcement too...

• Moderators

will be interestign what that compared price wise the likes of dd photo graphics and think it was teds all selling it at $2299. but think I'll sit this one out, realistically what is it buying me, think I'll stick wiht my 40D :)

That's the one..

will be interestign what that compared price wise the likes of dd photo graphics and think it was teds all selling it at $2299. but think I'll sit this one out, realistically what is it buying me, think I'll stick wiht my 40D :)

Don't be too quick yet.. still 4 days to go, but don't think it'd be a body. Or anything at all.. :P I'm just hyping myself up...

• Moderators
Get a Nikon.

My research suggests they are all sharper. :rolleyes:

haha to much invested in the canon with 4 lenses and a flash to move on :), been using canon for too many years too I think to change :blush:

but your right lyle, if the 7D was like the full frame Nikon D700 which also has a built in flash I would have probably grabbed it no question.

but your right lyle, if the 7D was like the full frame Nikon D700 which also has a built in flash I would have probably grabbed it no question.

It still will not be a perfect camera though, e.g. the fixed focus screen is kindda turn off for me...

But... You can always grap a nikon, esp if it's the D700 :ninja:... No reason to stick to a single brand (navigating the menus will probably become very confusing :P)..

While at a tourist spot in HK I've seen this guy with quite a lot of cameras (different brands) on his neck and around him. :P

• Moderators

ah bugger it ! I'm weak :blush:

I easily crumble, anyways went and did the pre-order on teds, they have a bit of a pre-order deal going which got the better of my credit card :unsure:

anyways look forward to a phone call in that case and getting my 40D up on ebay :winky:

oh well a couple of hands on reviews to read in the mean time

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...-hands-on.shtml

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/

ah bugger it ! I'm weak :blush:

No you're not.. :P

I easily crumble, anyways went and did the pre-order on teds, they have a bit of a pre-order deal going which got the better of my credit card :unsure:

See it as being decisive. As the OP of this thread, at a subconscious level the decision was already made :lol:

anyways look forward to a phone call in that case and getting my 40D up on ebay :winky:

Congrats... So are you on a waiting list, or confirmed? Or? What kind of deal? When?

So I guess you'd be getting the new 100mm Macro too? :ninja:

If you have a flash, try master/slave combo with this new 7D.. Should be fun..

• Moderators
No you're not.. :P

See it as being decisive. As the OP of this thread, at a subconscious level the decision was already made :lol:

~

hehe yeah I guess my fate was long sealed ! :o canon's just putting lambs like me on the slaughter with bringing goodies like this in front of us :blush:

I'll have to be decisive now and get the 40D up for sale soon while can still get something decent for it ;)

Congrats... So are you on a waiting list, or confirmed? Or? What kind of deal? When?

~

its just teds standard pre-order,

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displ...--2325507_.html

they give you a call when they get the stock, theyre usually pretty good. get a $100 off rrp and theyre throwing in another $100 in accessories (I'm grabbing a spare battery) plus free delivery but I think I'll go into pickup as not far from work. I like buying from them as they take amex for no extra cost giving another 2 years of warranty for peace of mind :)

~

So I guess you'd be getting the new 100mm Macro too? :ninja:

If you have a flash, try master/slave combo with this new 7D.. Should be fun..

yep fate probably sealed on that one too, have been wanting to get a good macro for a while, but can wait a while longer while save up for it. will need to know what it first costs though :wacko:

yeah can definitely do some fancy things with flashes, remember catching up with johnA and him using our two 580ex's in some interesting ways. look forward to messing around with the capability the 7D has.

things like better low light capablity, better view finder, focusing and speed hopefully make this upgrade to the 7D worthwhile.

hehe yeah I guess my fate was long sealed ! :o canon's just putting lambs like me on the slaughter with bringing goodies like this in front of us :blush:

And god know what's happening on the 29th..

I'll have to be decisive now and get the 40D up for sale soon while can still get something decent for it ;)

Bear in mind the new restrictions though (can't ship li-ion batteries by air anywhere).. so if you have local sales newspapers, can list it there, or in flickr. With ebay if interstate you prob have to ship twice.. :D And the poor guy will get the body without the batteries.. :

I like buying from them as they take amex for no extra cost giving another 2 years of warranty for peace of mind :)

That's a good deal then.. congrats.

yep fate probably sealed on that one too, have been wanting to get a good macro for a while, but can wait a while longer while save up for it. will need to know what it first costs though :wacko:

I'm guesstimating it will be around $2k... But the original 100mm is already good enough as it is, but then the new one is with the IS... I'm actually quite confused which to get.. Hopefully it'd get clear.

yeah can definitely do some fancy things with flashes, remember catching up with johnA and him using our two 580ex's in some interesting ways. look forward to messing around with the capability the 7D has.

No wonder i love those seats he's selling.. Coz it's taken with a Canon? :P:ninja: ... With a build in flash you can also get those accessories that mimics a ring flash for any lens.. It's another fun option

things like better low light capablity, better view finder, focusing and speed hopefully make this upgrade to the 7D worthwhile.

It will definitely be a worth well upgrade... The only worry if at all is any bugs, etc.... :ninja:

• Moderators
And god know what's happening on the 29th..

Bear in mind the new restrictions though (can't ship li-ion batteries by air anywhere).. so if you have local sales newspapers, can list it there, or in flickr. With ebay if interstate you prob have to ship twice.. :D And the poor guy will get the body without the batteries.. :

That's a good deal then.. congrats.

I'm guesstimating it will be around $2k... But the original 100mm is already good enough as it is, but then the new one is with the IS... I'm actually quite confused which to get.. Hopefully it'd get clear.

No wonder i love those seats he's selling.. Coz it's taken with a Canon? :P:ninja: ... With a build in flash you can also get those accessories that mimics a ring flash for any lens.. It's another fun option

It will definitely be a worth well upgrade... The only worry if at all is any bugs, etc.... :ninja:

oh well all loaded to fire now !

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=82510

yeah not sure what comes on the 29th but I will be trying not to look :ninja:

I would hope the macro turns out 1k something 2k would be a bit longer to save up. a lot longer ! :blush:

bugs ? the 40D was bug free on release so can only hope the 7D would be the same.

oh well all loaded to fire now !

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=82510

yeah not sure what comes on the 29th but I will be trying not to look :ninja:

Don't worry I will tell u. :ninja:

I would hope the macro turns out 1k something 2k would be a bit longer to save up. a lot longer ! :blush:

It will be cheaper in HK hopefully, for whatever reason Canon is a tad overpriced locally (GST and exchange rate aside, I guess HK just have a way bigger market) Not sure if I will get to go for my big trip later this year, the missus not that keen anymore, but that's another story, so my shopping list may be delayed..

bugs ? the 40D was bug free on release so can only hope the 7D would be the same.

G10 has bugs, so did the 5D2. But even if there's anything, there's nothing that can't be ironed out.. So juz enjoy :D The way I see it, if I say there are bugs, there wouldn't be any in reality, reverse-jinx so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

7D comes instore middle of the month apparently. which is hopefully this time next week ! :huh:

anyways the 100mm L series macro apparently available today for $1.3k not that its much use without a body :rolleyes:

ps what was the thing they been hiding under the covers treb ? or was it a red herring :P