Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Camera & Photo Chat

canon probably wants all us canon fans to be all excited about this one.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090105canoneos7d.asp

for me a bit ho-hum. what no full frame ? why on earth did they go for a crop camera. oh well theres always the 60D :rolleyes: to wait for now.

this does look pretty tasty though

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090102...n100mmmacro.asp

a 100mm L series f2.8 IS USM lens. hmm was lookign out to buy a macro too. hope its price is not stratospheric ! :o

couple of interesting S series lens here too.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090103...mm18mm135mm.asp

though wanting to buy a full frame camera I'd best stay way from them.

edit 27th dec 2011, this thread was originally about canon goodies, but on popular request has been renamed to Camera & photo chat, hence encompassing not just canon related but more open to general chit chat on all things camera and photo related :)

Really interesting this move toward HD video recording in all the new DSLRs.

I was talking to a guy in the shops the other day suggesting it was a bit of a gimmick.

He reckoned the exact opposite. That it is the way of the future.

this does look pretty tasty though

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09090102...n100mmmacro.asp

a 100mm L series f2.8 IS USM lens. hmm was lookign out to buy a macro too. hope its price is not stratospheric ! :o

Should be cheap as it already dropped $1 from yesterday it was $1050.. :) Not sure if it's worth the extras though.. Might still get the normal macro in the future...

I thought all of the Canon single digit series were full frame..... :huh:

Nah.. 1D is 1.3x crop..1Ds is full frame.. i like some of the specs of the 7D, 100% viewfinder, build in flash and wireless flash support..

Really interesting this move toward HD video recording in all the new DSLRs.

I was talking to a guy in the shops the other day suggesting it was a bit of a gimmick.

He reckoned the exact opposite. That it is the way of the future.

The movies are amazing.. I agree with the guy that this is the future.. the photographs of tomorrow will not be static shots.. (harry potter?)

My friend just got a 5D2 this week.. Will try to play around with it and see how it goes..

Ahhh Canon lenses. CANON: Can't Afford Now Or Never.

It's the photographer that counts I guess.

Should be cheap as it already dropped $1 from yesterday it was $1050.. :) Not sure if it's worth the extras though.. Might still get the normal macro in the future...

Nah.. 1D is 1.3x crop..1Ds is full frame.. i like some of the specs of the 7D, 100% viewfinder, build in flash and wireless flash support..

The movies are amazing.. I agree with the guy that this is the future.. the photographs of tomorrow will not be static shots.. (harry potter?)

My friend just got a 5D2 this week.. Will try to play around with it and see how it goes..

It's the photographer that counts I guess.

agree too it is the photographer that counts, its guys like me pretty average at it that like to think gettign the better gear will make a difference :lol:

I like the look of the L series macro. if its a $1k thing I'll definitely start saving :blush:

you like the built in flash as well treb? I know shunned by the pro's to the point I feel embarrassed admitting using it, but find it really handy for a bit of fill in flash. for those back lit or low light shots. and when cant be buggered carrying the flash unit along. good to see included on the 7D perhaps one day when it evolves to a full frame unit I might get one :rolleyes:

let us know how you find the 5D2 Treb, reading around the net theyre saying the 7D is just the crop version of the 5D2 so in some ways godo for those looking for an upgrade but dont mind the crop sensor on it. wonder when local prices will be posted on it. I see on the camera listed on the canon website already.

not sure on the video side. a good article on luminous landscape. a friend came over with their nikon that could do video as well. seemed handy but didnt think upto the quality and useability of a hdcam. a bit like using the still shots functionality on your handy cam. its early days too I suspect and probably more to come as the technology matures.

agree too it is the photographer that counts, its guys like me pretty average at it that like to think getting the better gear will make a difference :lol:

Me suck at photography too. But I still enjoy it... :)

I like the look of the L series macro. if its a $1k thing I'll definitely start saving :blush:

it's $1k USD though.. so I'm guessing it'd be $2.5-$3k here... But undecided if it's worth it though, esp on a FF body. 100mm at .3m.... This lens will be great on a crop sensor... Doing a groupbuy? :D

you like the built in flash as well treb? I know shunned by the pro's to the point I feel embarrassed admitting using it, but find it really handy for a bit of fill in flash. for those back lit or low light shots. and when cant be buggered carrying the flash unit along. good to see included on the 7D perhaps one day when it evolves to a full frame unit I might get one :rolleyes:

I love built in flash, it's just more options made available, esp when it can trigger slaves.. Flash photography can look really good... (but again i suck at it)...

let us know how you find the 5D2 Treb, reading around the net theyre saying the 7D is just the crop version of the 5D2 so in some ways godo for those looking for an upgrade but dont mind the crop sensor on it.

i just want to touch the 5D2 in my hands :P (me being a fanboi will be extremely biased :ninja:).. :) i'd still be going with the 5D2 in the future (I have a 5D atm), or a 1DMkIII (the Canon body just feels more balanced with a vertical grip)... or maybe the 7D? :ninja:

Interesting camera,

Should addreses quite a few failings of my current 30D .

1,Ho Hum auto focus

2, view finder not 100% and small for glases wearers (I often to struggle to see data in view finder)

3,mediocre rear display compared to the later models

4 ,inability to shoot reduced size raw

For me a high quality crop camera makes sense as I often shoot at the long end and the 1.6 x crop come in handy as I wont be buying a F2.8 300/400 L anytime soon but a 70-200 l is still just afforable.

I would be very interested to see its low light capabilities as this is proably the biggest plus on the latest DSLRs.

8 fps yeah hah!!! I shoot quite a bit of my kids sport and higher FPS would be cool but 5 fps is not too shabby .

Would be nice if Canons flash system was as fool proof and worked as well as Nikons.

Must admit My photography skills limit me more than the 30D does.

Treblid, 5D MK2 eh? you lucky swine !

Cheers Brendon

Edited by brendonc

8 fps yeah hah!!! I shoot quite a bit of my kids sport and higher FPS would be cool but 5 fps is not too shabby .

They say this camera is for sports and bird photography... :ninja: Sounds more like a paparazi camera.. :) Me like the 100% viewfinder too.. It's really great to get the framing just right (and not guesswork), and be sure nothing you don't intend to stray into frame.

Must admit My photography skills limit me more than the 30D does.

Treblid, 5D MK2 eh? you lucky swine !

Not me, I only have the classic.. My friend has the Mk2... For me I think i'd only get it when it's on a round out (another year away at least)..

Now that the AUD is above 80c again and not 65c, I wonder when will Canon Australia cut RRPs... :rolleyes:

They say this camera is for sports and bird photography... :ninja: Sounds more like a paparazi camera.. :) Me like the 100% viewfinder too.. It's really great to get the framing just right (and not guesswork), and be sure nothing you don't intend to stray into frame.

Not me, I only have the classic.. My friend has the Mk2... For me I think i'd only get it when it's on a round out (another year away at least)..

Now that the AUD is above 80c again and not 65c, I wonder when will Canon Australia cut RRPs... :rolleyes:

Here's a link to Roger Galbraiths preview ,autofocus still sounds a bit dodgy... http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_pag...042-10239-10240

The 5d mk 1 is still a lovely DSLR :D

Cheers Brendon

Here's a link to Roger Galbraiths preview ,autofocus still sounds a bit dodgy... http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_pag...042-10239-10240

Not really an issue for me, since the "subjects" I tend to shoot don't move.. :P

The 5d mk 1 is still a lovely DSLR :D

Will have to do for now I guess... Still works and not going to get a new body any time soon. Depleted my camera fund a while back and hadn't really recovered since.. :( Might be getting that new Lumix (the one with built in flash) for the missus... But everything depends on when I can get my house back in order again. :(

on the teds website now arriving october for $2999

http://www.teds.com.au/www/6/1001102/displ...y--3408858.html

Hmm. Maybe street prices will be around the $2.5k mark or thereabouts come October?

2, view finder not 100% and small for glases wearers (I often to struggle to see data in view finder)

Which cameras in the range are best for glasses wearers?

Which cameras in the range are best for glasses wearers?

For looking at the data, for framing, or for manual focusing?

I probably wear the thickest glasses in Perth and have no issues in general.. So all DSLRs should be ok? (And you can get a view finder with a higher optical correction).. I think the bigger the view finder, the brighter (i.e. better it is)...

Or you can change the focus screen (I think that's what they're called) that's specifically designed for manual focusing. A potential problem (hearsay as I did not verify this myself) with a manual focus screen is the viewfinder will get pretty dark at say F8 or more)..

Just for use with the Canon's in general.

I was in PRA Imaging a week or two back and they were showing me the Canon DSLRs.

I found the viewfinder hard to use.

Everything looked out of focus.

When I took my glasses off I had to crank the viewfinder optical correct all the way around and suspect it probably did not go far enough for my failing eyesight.

Hence the question.