Foxtel Contracting Installer Issues

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when do you get a "Real" Choice in what you get to do?

Do you give Jep some ghay ass excuse that caused all the stupid rules to come in just to rebook a job?

Why are you posting in this thread when you apparently don't do foxtel installs anymore and why do have to make it seem like things are going well for foxtel subbies in Australia when really its the opposite we are getting screwed. I started this thread for guys to discusses issues and problems with sub-contracting/foxtel. Its not for someone like yourself who is most likely an undercover BSA managemant employee saying that: everythings fine, why are we complaining when u guys are earning 120k a year etc

Why are you posting in this thread when you apparently don't do foxtel installs anymore and why do have to make it seem like things are going well for foxtel subbies in Australia when really its the opposite we are getting screwed. I started this thread for guys to discusses issues and problems with sub-contracting/foxtel. Its not for someone like yourself who is most likely an undercover BSA managemant employee saying that: everythings fine, why are we complaining when u guys are earning 120k a year etc

I was just making Comment how when did you get a real choice in the number of jobs you get or what type they are.

Im not undercover for BSA. Few people can prove that.

And you complain about not getting work etc etc not earning enough money and you turn away easy jobs.

No wonder your failing.

Since when do you get a "Real" Choice in what you get to do?

Do you give Jep some ghay ass excuse that caused all the stupid rules to come in just to rebook a job?

It is apparent that you do not understand the difference between an employee and a so called "independent contractor", which is what BSA insist upon calling the techs. As an independent contractor the tech does indeed have the right to refuse any job allocated to him by BSA and does not have to provide reasons for refusal.

I am surprised that, as you insist on posting to this thread, you are not aware of the contractual rights of the techs.

Unlike other posters I do not object to you posting, but I do object to you constantly undermining the attempts of the techs to get a better deal and constantly pushing the management line. If you do not agree that the techs deserve a better deal and you are not prepared to be supportive then do not participate, because all you do is wind blokes up and initiate mud slinging which leads to the thread being closed down, which is probably your objective and in this regard I urge all of you to refrain from getting personal as it does not advance the cause at all.

Below is an excerpt from Savage v Programmed Services (2001) In the Compensation Court of NSW.

In relation to this post take particular note of paras 2 & 6.

1. It is an error of law in determining whether or not an employer - employee relationship exists to deduce from the semantic meaning of labels such as employee or independent contractor the legal rights of the parties. To adopt such legal adjectives is to invert the proper order of the inquiry which is into the contents of those terms.

2. Independent contractors carry out their work as principals not as the employers representative. The fundamental difference is between a person who serves his or her employer in the employers business and a person who carries on a trade or business on his or her own.

3. Modern Australian law has shifted the emphasis of the control test from the actual exercise of control to the right to exercise it. Control is no longer regarded as the only relevant factor. Rather the Court must examine the totality of the relationship between the parties.

4. Considerations of questions such as economic independence and freedom of contract are not determinative of the legal character of the relationship.

5. Too much should not be made of investment in capital equipment as an indicia except in cases where the investment was most significant and great skill was required to operate it.

6. Control by the employer over the manner of performance is an important indicia particularly in respect to matters such as hours worked, rosters, denial of the right to refuse work or carry out work for other parties.

7. Requirements as to the wearing of livery, presenting a good corporate image and advertising the employer are also significant indicators to be weighed.

8. Superintendence of finances including restrictions on bargaining the rate of payment, penalties for errors, method of payment and deduction of insurance are also significant indicators.

I have said repeatedly in this and other threads that the techs in this industry are employees not contractors. The irrefutable fact is that BSA will not allow you to refuse a particular job which only reinforces the argument that the techs are treated as, and in fact are, employees.

The only way to stop this is to involve the union, refuse a job and then take BSA to the AIRC and believe me they will fold like a deck of cards, which I know from personal experience.

What a chance !

they must be getting heaps of resumes.

Trainee FOXTEL Installer - Full time

BSA Limited is the leading communications and technical services company delivering technical services on behalf of its customers and a diverse engineering contracting company focused on the design, installation and maintenance of building services for commercial and industrial buildings.

BSA is currently searching for our next FOXTEL Trainees to install FOXTEL.

As a FOXTEL Trainee, you will study towards a Certificate III in Telecommunications (12 months) whilst gaining Full time on the job work experience.

BSA Advanced Learning will provide all the necessary training within an on the job environment. All tooling, vehicles, uniforms and necessary materials will be provided for you to complete this traineeship.

Award trainee rate applies. You must have a current driver’s license and required to work one Saturday a fortnight and be able to work outside of the Perth metropolitan area if required.

If you would like to become our new FOXTEL Trainee, please apply now along with your resume and cover letter.

Thats alright Sidor you could apply for a job that would suit you.

-----

Our client is the major installer of Foxtel products. They currently have two Field Supervisor vacancies to mentor and support a team of technicians.

The purpose of this role is to provide technical guidance and support to field employees and contractors, conduct quality checks and ensure daily operation are carried out efficiently.

Experience in the following areas is required:

* To conduct all quality checks and associated documentation checks

* Provide on site field support t contractors and employees

* Liaise with operations team

* Complete installations, digital migrations, service calls, change orders and site surveys as determined by the business

* Attend to customer complaints on site

* Administer first level discipline including dismissal of Customer Service Technicians

* Other duties related to field activity both externally and internally as required

To be successful in this position you MUST demonstrate:

* Technical knowledge in a relevant field

* Licenses, tickets and other qualifications as required

* Excellent communication skills

* Excellent time-management skills

* Ability to work autonomously

* Customer service and improvement driven

In return, you will be offered fabulous working conditions with a down-to-earth team, ongoing training and support, along with an attractive salary package!

If you feel that this is just the position for you, then send your resume to mtseronis@astonrecruitment.com.au or contact Melinda Tseronis on 9221 0810.

Thats alright Sidor you could apply for a job that would suit you.

-----

Our client is the major installer of Foxtel products. They currently have two Field Supervisor vacancies to mentor and support a team of technicians.

The purpose of this role is to provide technical guidance and support to field employees and contractors, conduct quality checks and ensure daily operation are carried out efficiently.

Experience in the following areas is required:

* To conduct all quality checks and associated documentation checks

* Provide on site field support t contractors and employees

* Liaise with operations team

* Complete installations, digital migrations, service calls, change orders and site surveys as determined by the business

* Attend to customer complaints on site

* Administer first level discipline including dismissal of Customer Service Technicians

* Other duties related to field activity both externally and internally as required

To be successful in this position you MUST demonstrate:

* Technical knowledge in a relevant field

* Licenses, tickets and other qualifications as required

* Excellent communication skills

* Excellent time-management skills

* Ability to work autonomously

* Customer service and improvement driven

In return, you will be offered fabulous working conditions with a down-to-earth team, ongoing training and support, along with an attractive salary package!

If you feel that this is just the position for you, then send your resume to mtseronis@astonrecruitment.com.au or contact Melinda Tseronis on 9221 0810.

what they forgot to add was...

- enjoy working long hours overtime and on weekends for no extra pay

- able to cope with high levels of stress

- the ability to bust your back carrying a three storey ladder

- be handed work outside your job description simply because the company needs to cut down on employees

And yet these contracting companies dont think about why any QA's stay on for more then 2yrs and also why no current techs apply for the job... Hiring someone off the street to be a QA who has no prior experience in Foxtel installations is bit of rough decision that these contracting companies make up if you ask me.

what they forgot to add was...

- enjoy working long hours overtime and on weekends for no extra pay

- able to cope with high levels of stress

- the ability to bust your back carrying a three storey ladder

- be handed work outside your job description simply because the company needs to cut down on employees

And yet these contracting companies dont think about why any QA's stay on for more then 2yrs and also why no current techs apply for the job... Hiring someone off the street to be a QA who has no prior experience in Foxtel installations is bit of rough decision that these contracting companies make up if you ask me.

You'll find QA quit because they dont like techs bullshit.

"Ohh the wind is too strong"

"The Ground is on too much of a slope"

"I cant get a good signal"

"Customer Doesnt want conduit"

"Customer wants it on an internal wall on the lower story" (when the customer wasnt given another choice)

Hear the bullshit for 2 years u'd wanna quit too

Edited by Frost-6

"I cant get a good signal"

"Customer Doesnt want conduit"

"Customer wants it on an internal wall on the lower story" (when the customer wasnt given another choice)

Mate, you have got to be joking, I hope you don't really believe what you have posted because if you do you are beyond redemption.

I can't believe that anybody who has worked in the industry would publish such rubbish.

In your opinion everything wrong in the industry is due to the techs and BSA management are a bunch of shining angels, when the reverse is true.

I suggest you get yourself out into the real world and talk to some of the BSA Qa's who have quit as I have and you will find that overwhelmingly the QA's quit because of the crap they have loaded onto them by BSA.

In Newcastle/Central Coast a couple of really good QA's told BSA to shove it because they had a gutful of BSA not because of any problems with techs.

As to the so-called excuses you quote, anybody who gets a ladder off the van in high winds needs committing to a place full of men in white coats because it is suicidal to get up a ladder and onto a roof in any kind of wind.

Finally, for somebody who claims to have only been a tech not a QA you seem to know all the excuses, perhaps because you use them yourself.

Mate, you have got to be joking, I hope you don't really believe what you have posted because if you do you are beyond redemption.

Of course he believes himself. Don't all inner-sanctum BSA people?

He would have to be the only pro BSA in this thread. I think he has some financial interest. Why else otherwise?????????

Change is under way on a number of fronts.

The govt. are looking at changes to the Workplace Relations Act as applies to independent contractors following pressure from various quarters including the union movement.

There are a number of legal challenges being mounted both by individuals and by unions which challenge the concept of employee or contractor and also the fairness of contracts which rogue employers such as BSA use to exploit workers.

Neversaydie

A year on nothing has changed. It never will and is only going backwards.

I think it's time to jump ship.

Who's with me?

Who's with me?

Exactly. It'll just get worse.

I've jumped ship already and still doing the same job, lol.

I'm paid better and don't have to deal with the BSA bullsh*t :)

While you are going out of your way for these contracting companys you could try the following

1 Wear good kneepads :huh:

2 Just bend over a little further :o

3 And thank them for thier effort. :P

We all know they will screw you over no questions asked

So why risk our saftey.

Neversaydie

Who's with me?

I understand your frustration but sometimes these things take time and one thing is for sure if people don't fight these parasites and things are allowed to stay the same then these sort of conditions and problems will flow into other industries.

I can assure you of one thing, if the techs get organised, join the union and take these mongrels on, then BSA will fold like a pack of cards because they have no balls and no stomach for a real fight.

Whilst ever the workforce just submit meekly and don't fight back conditions will just worsen.

BSA are like all bullies they will keep hitting you until you hit back and when you do they will turn it up.

This has been proved in the past, you only have to look at one instance, the proposed payments for the return path upon the introduction of digital.

For those that are wary of joining the union and the associated fees, you have more than covered any union fees with what the union won for the techs with the increases in the return path rate.

Instead of jumping ship, join the union (if you are not already a member) and encourage all your workmates to do the same.

Without a majority of the techs joining the union do not have the resources to take on BSA and believe me they are itching to do so as they are doing in the telecommunications industry.

The union is not perfect but they are all we have and the best option for the workers.

I understand your frustration but sometimes these things take time and one thing is for sure if people don't fight these parasites and things are allowed to stay the same then these sort of conditions and problems will flow into other industries.

I can assure you of one thing, if the techs get organised, join the union and take these mongrels on, then BSA will fold like a pack of cards because they have no balls and no stomach for a real fight.

Whilst ever the workforce just submit meekly and don't fight back conditions will just worsen.

BSA are like all bullies they will keep hitting you until you hit back and when you do they will turn it up.

This has been proved in the past, you only have to look at one instance, the proposed payments for the return path upon the introduction of digital.

For those that are wary of joining the union and the associated fees, you have more than covered any union fees with what the union won for the techs with the increases in the return path rate.

Instead of jumping ship, join the union (if you are not already a member) and encourage all your workmates to do the same.

Without a majority of the techs joining the union do not have the resources to take on BSA and believe me they are itching to do so as they are doing in the telecommunications industry.

The union is not perfect but they are all we have and the best option for the workers.

Unions have never helped me(yes i am a member of a union)

The only answer is to have a mass exodus of techs and then let them try to find new contracters.

Only then will they listen.

I'll go first.

Unions have never helped me(yes i am a member of a union)

The only answer is to have a mass exodus of techs and then let them try to find new contracters.

Only then will they listen.

I'll go first.

I agree completely with your sentiments but walking out on your own achieves nothing except maybe a sense of satisfaction, which unfortunately does not pay the mortgage or put food on the table and I also agree with you that the union does not always perform as it should for the individual.

However, when it comes to organising a mass exodus then the only realistic vehicle to organise such an event is the union, as they did in 2004 and as you would be aware it was a success, unfortunately back then they did not go far enough and it is now time to rectify that failing and to be fair to the union it also did not go far enough because of a less than unanimous support from the workforce.

However, when it comes to organising a mass exodus then the only realistic vehicle to organise such an event is the union, as they did in 2004 and as you would be aware it was a success, unfortunately back then they did not go far enough and it is now time to rectify that failing and to be fair to the union it also did not go far enough because of a less than unanimous support from the workforce.

Here lies the problem"unanimous support from the workforce"

Its all very well ****ing on this forum but I will guarantee if we organised a mass walkout only a small number would walk,

leaving the few who tried to stand up to these thugs being punished.

Am I wrong?

Esier for foxtel installers as they are in an urban environment and can actually meet. ATS contractors would be very hard to organise

Here lies the problem"unanimous support from the workforce"

Its all very well ****ing on this forum but I will guarantee if we organised a mass walkout only a small number would walk,

leaving the few who tried to stand up to these thugs being punished.

Am I wrong?

you will also receive free FOXTEL

BSA Ltd ... always recruiting :

About the Job Foxtel Installers BSA LIMITED is a leading Australian communications & technical services company. FOXTEL digital BSA delivers technical services on behalf of its customers - which are some of Australia's largest corporations. Installers are deployed throughout Australia to install, repair, maintain and support equipment and services thousands of times each day. Due to the success of Foxtels ongoing marketing campaigns, BSA LIMITED requires additional contract Installers to provide a range of installation and field services. Not only can we organise and provide you with regular work, working with our team you will also receive free FOXTEL. You will require a commercial vehicle, tools, necessary insurance, and the ability to acquire a PTY LTD company. Experience in Electrical, data, Telephone or Antenna installations are preferred but not essential as training can be provided to the successful applicants. Waste no more time and join us in providing a quality service in the region. bsa INTERESTED? Forward your application to gowen@bsa.com.au by email or call Greg on 03 9495 7845.

About the Job Foxtel Installers BSA LIMITED is a leading Australian communications & technical services company. FOXTEL digital BSA delivers technical services on behalf of its customers - which are some of Australia's largest corporations. Installers are deployed throughout Australia to install, repair, maintain and support equipment and services thousands of times each day. Due to the success of Foxtels ongoing marketing campaigns, BSA LIMITED requires additional contract Installers to provide a range of installation and field services. Not only can we organise and provide you with regular work, working with our team you will also receive free FOXTEL. You will require a commercial vehicle, tools, necessary insurance, and the ability to acquire a PTY LTD company. Experience in Electrical, data, Telephone or Antenna installations are preferred but not essential as training can be provided to the successful applicants. Waste no more time and join us in providing a quality service in the region. bsa INTERESTED? Forward your application to gowen@bsa.com.au by email or call Greg on 03 9495 7845.

Sidor are you always looking up BSA on the job websites and following their share movements etc? You seem a little obsessed

You do know you can pay cash and you can download a companies FYR End report?

Sidor are you always looking up BSA on the job websites and following their share movements etc? You seem a little obsessed

You do know you can pay cash and you can download a companies FYR End report?

Frosty instead of continually sniping at blokes postings you should have a real good look at what BSA are advertising.

They are promising anybody who applies for a position REGULAR WORK.

As anybody working for them will tell you this is an outrageous and untrue claim as there are heaps of blokes who are only getting one or two days work a week, but I suppose if they are only getting one or two days work every week then this could be construed as regular. lol