Sign in to follow this  
yatesy73

Foxtel Contracting Installer Issues

what exactly do you want to know ?

I have got a mate who is contractor to BSA and is struggling to make $1000 a week at the moment before paying all the insurances, petrol, mobile phone and now PDA.

How much is he working thou 4 jobs a day? saturday/sunday work? is this contributed to BSA/Downer or Foxtel not getting the sales?

Methinks he wants to tell his best buddy BSA who's ratting them out in this forum.

No its just someone said "lets hear stuff from the current installers? lets stick together as installers" But if my opinion gets picked on and I'm not a current installer what makes your opinion any different if your not a current Contracting Installer. Yes I understand the person you work for contracts to them, and you quite possibly have to deal with Jep operators on the phone etc. But you can't complain about people screwing you over if your getting paid a wage off someone else?

Edited by Frost-6

In another thread he has publicly stated his intention to try and have the installation job on his own premises downgraded, effectively reducing the installers pay.

BTW Frost-6 how did you go with your install, were you sucessful in having this job downgraded.

BTW Frost-6 how did you go with your install, were you sucessful in having this job downgraded.

The tech come along used all my dish and cables he just checked the dish strength and one of the wall plate connectors and said "thanks for the easy money" so if **** breaks its in his hands, but if a cable or something breaks ill replace it myself. And the equipment remains mine anyway (except the box of course), first time iv read the fine print of any contract :)

I tried to tell the guy from Manila or Phillipines or where ever Austars dodgy call centers were on the phone the house was already cabled etc but "they didnt have it listed" and he kept asking me if it was alright that a satellite dish would be put up.

;)

Guess all austar techs aint as honest as you austartech

Edited by Frost-6

I noticed that last time the technician was out. I asked for a 6 RCA cable for the DVD-R and they dont supply anymore. When digital was first installed in 2004 this was all supplied at the time of installation

Chris

That's ok the techie charged me for my 6 RCA - Scart cable

You blokes are too busy arguing amongst yourselves to do anything productive for the betterment of the contractor. I'm taking my comments and support elseware and I have 761 reasons to do so.

we recently had HD IQ2 installed, the guy had a poor grasp of the task at hand, i even know that HD does not come from RCA cables. We called our own A/V guys to do the job and sort out the mess. Thanks to They Fixed our Foxtel Issues in Melbourne we got HD via HDMI and our surround sound works now as well. $200 i wonder what foxtel did with that money? maybe they could use it to train the monkeys they have working for them. Because from what I hear, they pay peanuts.

we recently had HD IQ2 installed, the guy had a poor grasp of the task at hand, i even know that HD does not come from RCA cables. We called our own A/V guys to do the job and sort out the mess. Thanks to They Fixed our Foxtel Issues in Melbourne we got HD via HDMI and our surround sound works now as well. $200 i wonder what foxtel did with that money? maybe they could use it to train the monkeys they have working for them. Because from what I hear, they pay peanuts.

Were you getting your HD IQ2 plugged into a HD television? Did he run HDMI to your Panel? and he should of supplied an optical cable? Or did you get RCA into your panel.

This could be a number of things, no HDMI cables left due to no stock left in his van, warehouse didnt have any stock. Or he just didnt want to supply you one.

I often found that running a HDMI to a HD Television and then the TV having optical to the surround sound the surround sound wouldnt travel through the tv from the foxtel then down to the SS unit.

On an IQ2 install the installer (when i was doing it) was obliged to supply you the best possible connection for your TV, either RCA, Compent, or HDMI. A opitcal cable for your surround sound and a reutrn path or digipath if a physical phone line could not be put in.

Did you really expect someone with a days training to be able to set up anything but a basic av setup?

Did you really expect someone with a days training to be able to set up anything but a basic av setup?

Well, I guess if Frost-6 can do it, then anyone can... ROFLMAO :P

I thank the Foxtel installers for a lot of business.Most job are incorrectly setup in regards to the best connection/best picture quality. I have seen IQ2 hooked up via composite video to HD screens. I have never seen one installation hooked up to an Av receiver. For example one client of mine waited 2 months to get an answer/quote on a installation that involved running a cable along cable tray 30mts and then up risers for two storey to connect to an existing dish. They told him it would cost approx $2000.They obviously did not want to do the job. Other jobs I have seen have been run in surface conduit when cavity walls have been available.Whatever way is fastest. My clients then ask me to re-run the cable hidden inside the walls

Just because you think you are not getting payed enough doesnt mean you do a half arsed job. If you are a contractor you go and find other work that pays better or you go work for wages.If you are not happy you move on.

Regards

Debruis

A days training? How many days did you do

Well, I guess if Frost-6 can do it, then anyone can... ROFLMAO :P

Pretty true, they let you do it didnt they?

i belive he did 2 days training

2 days x 9 (:

I thank the Foxtel installers for a lot of business.Most job are incorrectly setup in regards to the best connection/best picture quality. I have seen IQ2 hooked up via composite video to HD screens. I have never seen one installation hooked up to an Av receiver. For example one client of mine waited 2 months to get an answer/quote on a installation that involved running a cable along cable tray 30mts and then up risers for two storey to connect to an existing dish. They told him it would cost approx $2000.They obviously did not want to do the job. Other jobs I have seen have been run in surface conduit when cavity walls have been available.Whatever way is fastest. My clients then ask me to re-run the cable hidden inside the walls

Just because you think you are not getting payed enough doesnt mean you do a half arsed job. If you are a contractor you go and find other work that pays better or you go work for wages.If you are not happy you move on.

Regards

Debruis

Interesting at the 2k install, it would be quite interesting how much the techs would get paid to do that. I did a quote job because thanks to foam filled walls used 15 lengths of conduit I forget how much my boss got paid extra but I asked the customer what the quote was and it was $300 for 1hr extra work.

And as for plugging into the AV receiver etc, its all about who the tech is and what hes got in the van, warehouse shortages (no idea who is at fault) can be some reasons why the correct cables cannot be used, I forget how many times quad shield cable had to be used (more expensive) because there was no tri shield, or couldnt get wall plates, scart to RCA or HDMI plugs and that was only 6months of doing the job.

But Debruis its usually the lazy techs who complain about whos getting paid what etc. Alot of techs complain about the call centre but thats understandable because they are full of any monkey they can get.

2 days x 9 (:

Interesting at the 2k install, it would be quite interesting how much the techs would get paid to do that. I did a quote job because thanks to foam filled walls used 15 lengths of conduit I forget how much my boss got paid extra but I asked the customer what the quote was and it was $300 for 1hr extra work.

And as for plugging into the AV receiver etc, its all about who the tech is and what hes got in the van, warehouse shortages (no idea who is at fault) can be some reasons why the correct cables cannot be used, I forget how many times quad shield cable had to be used (more expensive) because there was no tri shield, or couldnt get wall plates, scart to RCA or HDMI plugs and that was only 6 months of doing the job.

But Debruis its usually the lazy techs who complain about whos getting paid what etc. Alot of techs complain about the call centre but thats understandable because they are full of any monkey they can get.

Points taken Yes I agree about the call centre being full of monkeys I have witnessed foxtel installers caught on phone calls for up to an hour to get a service activated. I also am aware that the call centre does also book jobs in to be completed in urealistic time frames.I am sure this would be causing unneccesary stress for installers as well and also would be contributing to the issues I addressed in my previous post ie attitudes of some installers and poor installation practices. This is what I have observed and clients have commented on during my many years of electric contracting and av installing. I am sorry if I offended any of the guys doing the right thing but you would know better than me how many shonks are out there.

Regards

Debruis

Edited by debruis

a couple of days looking over another tech shoulder

Yes they let me loose with almost no training or knowledge

2 days x 9 (:

4 years on the job still learning. But I will get it right soon.

My sentiments exactly. A lot less hassle that way too :)

Well with over 20 years satellite experience and similar in commercial installations, how could they not :P

The only reason I do satellite installs, is because I enjoy it. Plain and simple!

Points taken Yes I agree about the call centre being full of monkeys I have witnessed foxtel installers caught on phone calls for up to an hour to get a service activated. I also am aware that the call centre does also book jobs in to be completed in urealistic time frames.I am sure this would be causing unneccesary stress for installers as well and also would be contributing to the issues I addressed in my previous post ie attitudes of some installers and poor installation practices. This is what I have observed and clients have commented on during my many years of electric contracting and av installing. I am sorry if I offended any of the guys doing the right thing but you would know better than me how many shonks are out there.

One other thing I forgot to add. Foxtel only offers free installs on a 'Standard Metro Install' this is defined as a single story dwelling with tin or tile roof and walls, but often any building or location will get free install no matter what it is and this usually takes the tech more time.

On another interesting note, how many techs here have installed diplexers? I wonder what the capbility of a single RG6 cable is when you have foxtel pushing more services and FTA pushing more services down the network