Foxtel Contracting Installer Issues

Hi I am a foxtel tech for Downer. when I first went to Downer they promised that every year we would get a 3% pay increase, that is the first of October, three years later we have had a total 4%. currently BSA gets paid $10 per job more than downer, I know this for a fact because my mate went to BSA. Things are getting worse. Foxtel do give a pay increase each year but Downer and BSA keep it. Downer is doing that bad the they put on another three QA's and a extra safty inspector in NSW. then Downer says they don't make money. we the installers are not complaining about the amount we get paid, we just want our pay increase each year so we can keep up with the rise in price of material and cost of running our own bussness. when I first started 6 years ago, I took a lot of pride in my job, but now I do the bare minimum just so the job is done to spec. I would like to do more for the customer but is it realy worth it. The new thing noe is a service call. because foxtel have lowered the frequencys there are a lot more problems, we are sent out to do a service call for $43 and now have to change every connector and every wall plate that has the white barrel joint in it, and not get paid extra. Foxtel have made a change to there service and we have to pay for it. the service call rate must go up. At the moment I joined a Union (CEPU) It does help but there is not enougth tech who will join, simply because the can not afford it.

Please post any replies if you think I am wrong in what I am saying, I would like to know if my way of thinking is wrong.

Downer get paid $10 less than BSA? is this on the satellite platform? Cause at one point downer were getting their LNBs for free, were BSA techs pay $27 an LNB

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downer techs in South Australia get paid 20 to 25% less then the eastern states from what I've heard as there is no competitor contracting company such as BSA in SA. No wonder the techs in SA are scarce...

Techs contracting for ATS in S.A are on the same pay as our cousins in the eastern states.

Guest number761

Still you whinge,,,, ponder,,,, and whinge again. foxtel installer said it all, BAR the conviction to carry it through. never say die. are your hands tied by bsa?

I shan't mention that regional techs get an extra $25 per job then B)

What you have failed to mention or are perhaps are unaware of is that BSA receive $50 from Foxtel to be paid to the regional techs, on every job, this is charged directly to the customer, which most times they pass on nothing at all.

How do I know?

I was told by senior exec at Foxtel.

Still you whinge,,,, ponder,,,, and whinge again. foxtel installer said it all, BAR the conviction to carry it through. never say die. are your hands tied by bsa?

Nobody ties my hands!

Only circumstances do that and at the moment my circumstances prevent me from putting in the time but hopefully I will get things under control in the near future and will then continue the fight for better conditions and I will also enlighten everybody as to what can be achieved when you decide to fight the bastards.

What you have failed to mention or are perhaps are unaware of is that BSA receive $50 from Foxtel to be paid to the regional techs, on every job, this is charged directly to the customer, which most times they pass on nothing at all.

This is very true. I was fully aware that BSA gets $50 from Foxtel. Told to me by Foxtel as well.

It's another way BSA rips the tech off.

Also, on quoted jobs, BSA will charge the customer around $70 per hour. The tech is lucky if he sees $35 of this.

This is very true. I was fully aware that BSA gets $50 from Foxtel. Told to me by Foxtel as well.

It's another way BSA rips the tech off.

Also, on quoted jobs, BSA will charge the customer around $70 per hour. The tech is lucky if he sees $35 of this.

For all you techs in regional WA.

I suggest that you ask each customer you go to if they have been charged extra by Foxtel for the job and also ask the reason given by Foxtel for the extra charge.

When they tell you that it is to cover the cost of travelling for the tech, politely inform them that you do not receive the money and that it is pocketed by BSA.

This will enrage most customers and you can be assured that Foxtel will receive some real heat from the customers.

Also record each time this happens and pass it on to the union (CEPU) because undoubtedly what BSA are doing is illegal and Foxtel are also in breach of the Trade Practice Act by misleading their customers into believing that the techs are receiving the extra charges to cover travel costs.

When I became aware of this practice from a number of Regional techs in WA I tried to push the issue with Foxtel but they would not discuss it with me as I am from interstate and it did not impact directly upon me.

Quoted jobs are a different issue as it is made quite clear in the contract that the tech only gets paid $37 per hour (which is a joke anyway)

For all you techs in regional WA.

I suggest that you ask each customer you go to if they have been charged extra by Foxtel for the job and also ask the reason given by Foxtel for the extra charge.

When they tell you that it is to cover the cost of travelling for the tech, politely inform them that you do not receive the money and that it is pocketed by BSA.

This will enrage most customers and you can be assured that Foxtel will receive some real heat from the customers.

Also record each time this happens and pass it on to the union (CEPU) because undoubtedly what BSA are doing is illegal and Foxtel are also in breach of the Trade Practice Act by misleading their customers into believing that the techs are receiving the extra charges to cover travel costs.

When I became aware of this practice from a number of Regional techs in WA I tried to push the issue with Foxtel but they would not discuss it with me as I am from interstate and it did not impact directly upon me.

Quoted jobs are a different issue as it is made quite clear in the contract that the tech only gets paid $37 per hour (which is a joke anyway)

Yes $37 per hour + constant ass poundings

Nobody ties my hands!

Only circumstances do that and at the moment my circumstances prevent me from putting in the time but hopefully I will get things under control in the near future and will then continue the fight for better conditions and I will also enlighten everybody as to what can be achieved when you decide to fight the bastards.

All the techs have to get together and go nope no more of this constant harrasment Rates constantly going down more and more requirements and less pay we r the money makers without us there screwed got to all get together and say no more we all own our own buisnesses we are not employees which is the way they r trying to treat us come up with our own contract that protects us from what they r doing. Can anyone see what there doing inch by inch gaining more and more work from us no one sticks together cause there employing people left right and centre no one has a leg to stand on if we all stuck together we wouldnt be in this situation. Creating more and more dutys per job increasing our time at jobs failiing us and making us go back on jobs on ridiculas things if we came up with a rule like we are only working from 10-5 they would say nope not in your contract when is the other way round we r all accepting it.

All the techs have to get together and go nope no more of this constant harrasment Rates constantly going down more and more requirements and less pay we r the money makers without us there screwed got to all get together and say no more we all own our own buisnesses we are not employees which is the way they r trying to treat us come up with our own contract that protects us from what they r doing. Can anyone see what there doing inch by inch gaining more and more work from us no one sticks together cause there employing people left right and centre no one has a leg to stand on if we all stuck together we wouldnt be in this situation. Creating more and more dutys per job increasing our time at jobs failiing us and making us go back on jobs on ridiculas things if we came up with a rule like we are only working from 10-5 they would say nope not in your contract when is the other way round we r all accepting it.

Thats it man theres a lot of pressure now to earn money in this industry just to get by. Its almost a joke at what foxtel/downer/bsa is doing to techs now. We all need to make a stand and demand better rates.

I just heard that foxtel want to break up the time slot. At the moment it is 7am to 12pm and 12pm to 5pm appontments. so they will bring in 7-10, 10-2pm and 2pm-5pm and trying to make it to 7pm in summer.

Downer and BSA conract is up soon, this is going to be in the new contract.

Is this for full installations, upgrades and multirooms etc or just for service calls. Cos its been like the for a while now with service calls...

Thats it man theres a lot of pressure now to earn money in this industry just to get by. Its almost a joke at what foxtel/downer/bsa is doing to techs now. We all need to make a stand and demand better rates.

working a 12hr day in summer mate thats harsh, foxtel is gotta be joking!!

I just heard that foxtel want to break up the time slot. At the moment it is 7am to 12pm and 12pm to 5pm appontments. so they will bring in 7-10, 10-2pm and 2pm-5pm and trying to make it to 7pm in summer.

Downer and BSA conract is up soon, this is going to be in the new contract.

Maybe not BSA? or Downer? Stream might step in but the no bullshit techs doing the work and getting on with life will keep the company's in there

working a 12hr day in summer mate thats harsh, foxtel is gotta be joking!!

I acutally think this is a good thing. Because during hte summer heat wave, I didnt work for 3 days straight, at 7am the tempture was already at 35 and raising or 2 days straight, no ****ing way I would stand on a roof or outside for more than 10minutes.

But think of summer and your weeks of 35+ usually you can get 2 jobs in before 11 if you start right on 7 and depending on what the jobs. 11-3 hottest period of the day then in the afternoon temp is down, so saves burning your hands on tiles etc etc if you can work later and the customer is aware of this it might be a good thing.

Maybe not BSA? or Downer? Stream might step in but the no bullshit techs doing the work and getting on with life will keep the company's in there

I acutally think this is a good thing. Because during hte summer heat wave, I didnt work for 3 days straight, at 7am the tempture was already at 35 and raising or 2 days straight, no ****ing way I would stand on a roof or outside for more than 10minutes.

But think of summer and your weeks of 35+ usually you can get 2 jobs in before 11 if you start right on 7 and depending on what the jobs. 11-3 hottest period of the day then in the afternoon temp is down, so saves burning your hands on tiles etc etc if you can work later and the customer is aware of this it might be a good thing.

As far as im concerned anytime after 6pm is family time/your life. In no way should techs be forced to work till 7pm or later thats just plain stupid. We all have lifes and familys...

As far as im concerned anytime after 6pm is family time/your life. In no way should techs be forced to work till 7pm or later thats just plain stupid. We all have lifes and familys...

Your not forced to work till 7pm are you? Its just a time slot, like your not forced to be at the first job at 7am? Cant see you working till 7pm daily unless your pumpin down 10 jobs a day 3/4 fulls in those 10 and your working on Triple Story etc

**** mate what I do now, I might be starting at 7pm dependent on the business etc how much service can be interrupted etc Or have a job go for 12 hours if its a fault, I try not and cry to much about it.

Your not forced to work till 7pm are you? Its just a time slot, like your not forced to be at the first job at 7am? Cant see you working till 7pm daily unless your pumpin down 10 jobs a day 3/4 fulls in those 10 and your working on Triple Story etc

**** mate what I do now, I might be starting at 7pm dependent on the business etc how much service can be interrupted etc Or have a job go for 12 hours if its a fault, I try not and cry to much about it.

something i agree on Frost-6 earlier start and later finishing times would allow techs more flexibility.

we still only need to put 8-10 hrs in availability.

I personally would love to start at 6.00 am

Guest number761

Thought i would have a quick look. Waste of time. United (UNION) we stand, divided we will fall, and fall, and fall, and fall......................... Seems we should all be skydivers??????? PS frosty............get out of there.

When we sat in the park Chester Hill, Sydney 5 or 6 years ago, half of the "brothers" were doing install in the afternoon...no solidarity

And the Union bleated that they could fix everything...well I am still waiting for 100% factual information regarding superannuation......from 2004

But nothing will change while they recruit at the docks when the slow boats from Africa turn up.

Muppets...I wouldnt have one ofth work on my house.

Not sure what you mean by "well I am still waiting for 100% factual information regarding superannuation" Us techs from BSA and Downer are comtractors and we have our own ABN. we pay our own super, not BSA, Downer or foxtel.

May be I miss understood you.