Home Alarm Systems

So.... :D

Anybody have a burgler system/company to recommend in perth?

Never believed in them, but as it stands now, no harm trying....

Anybody? What types would be good? Do you guys do monitor, or not? Any traps to look out for?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mine in my house since 2001.

Never monitored and never turned it on...dont even know the passcode anymore

Only burgled once when some prick stole my hot water service from the outside of the house. An alarm system couldnt stop that. I caught the prick the second time when he tried it again. His medical insurance company helped him rebuild his face :)

Alarms are a waste of cash

We have one in the rental and turn it on.

Whether it does any good is another matter.

My friend has one and he was robbed anyway.

We have one on the office and who knows.

As to which are good ones, maybe ask an insurance company or the RAC.

My builder recommends one but I forget which one it is.

I will ask.

friends built a new house in dianella, they put in a bosch system

they are very happy with it, dont go for a cheap system not worth it

some info here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...1151359&p=3

we also have an alarm, got broken in once, but the alarm scared them off

we also have quite a few neighbours with camera's on the outside of their houses as well

I have mine in my house since 2001.

Never monitored and never turned it on...dont even know the passcode anymore

Only burgled once when some prick stole my hot water service from the outside of the house. An alarm system couldnt stop that. I caught the prick the second time when he tried it again. His medical insurance company helped him rebuild his face :)

Alarms are a waste of cash

I know.. and I agree.. :D but feels kind of vulnerable right now nonetheless... :) As it stands i don't have anything worth stealing so i think alarms will actually make me more visible.. but now that my place has been broken into, i guess what's the loss? Hopefully the alarm can counter my premium increase.. ;P

Best case scnerio anyway, broke in while we weren't at home.. :P But i wonder if he will come again since I'm such an easy target.. :( so far I think i'm the only house hit in my area, which is very strange...

My builder recommends one but I forget which one it is.

I will ask.

Bosch? I'm thinking of Solution Ultimate 8 zone... Aren't all systems the same anyway?

we also have an alarm, got broken in once, but the alarm scared them off

we also have quite a few neighbours with camera's on the outside of their houses as well

Don't think i need cameras.. But might DIy one eventually since my NAs supports IP cam...

one more question.. wireless monitoring, worth it? i don't really like normal gSM and phone monitoring... Wireless sounds good on paper but it's freakin expensive...i guess this is a question with no real answer? anybody have wireless monitoring at home? comments?

just ask the installers what brand/unit they recommend as being reliable, and upgradable as you may need to add extra sensors in the future

for an office/factory it's about $1/day for monitoring , that ok value

but for a house, depends on the contents and risk....

i like having an alarm so you dont get surprised at night, like a friend did...it really freaked them out...

i wouldn't want to 'thump' a burglar, i have read of too many cases where you get charged for that....

they normally only want cash, phones, laptops, jewelry

it's not the money, it's that your wife/gf doesn't feel safe in your house after you are burgled

you can't stop a burglar, but you can make them think twice and go onto another house

larry

Edited by larry

How about rollershutters, makes it harder to get into the house in the first place. Once the alarm is going off they are already in. Try to stop them getting in.

Already have 'em for windows.. just not the sliding glass doors (back entry)... Didn't want that coz afraid if we have a house fire we can't get out quickly and easily.. :ninja:

Thought the security door is enough, turns out the good for nothing ripped it all off and now I have to get that fixed too...

might get roller shutters some day I guess... just so many things happening at once, very hard to get 'em all now... and the roof is unprotected anyway.. ;) the entry door can prob be entered with 2-3 kicks...

• 3 weeks later...

Good news everyone...

Alarm system installed.. And got a phone call from the Police telling me the stupid idiot who wasted weeks of my time and left me worse off has been caught and will be charged.

Quite like the installer I'm using for the alarm, I'm probably paying more than I should have but i don't mind coz their before and after service is excellent (PM if interested)... Still don't trust alarm systems, but if common burglars share the same intelligence as that bastard, it should be good enough...

All in all it's a pretty good day... Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

I really feel for you Treblid. Must have been a horrible experience.

I think my attitiude to security of any kind is that all you need to do is make your property/belongings marginally harder to steal than the next guys. I mean, if you have a street full of houses and one looks like they might be even slightly better defended than the others (via alarm), then which house will the burglar skip ? It's all about peace of mind too.. I can't imagine what it would be like to be burgled, but I could imagine that I'd be wanting to spend whatever it takes to feel safe again....

Edited by Goobatron

I really feel for you Treblid. Must have been a horrible experience.

It was really a horrible experience, and for all the wrong reasons... But glad that's about to be over soon..

I think my attitiude to security of any kind is that all you need to do is make your property/belongings marginally harder to steal than the next guys. I mean, if you have a street full

Don't really feel any safer or more secure with an alarm systems tbh.. On the bight side now I can pay a lower premium and up my cover (until I find another insurerer I like that is).

of houses and one looks like they might be even slightly better defended than the others (via alarm), then which house will the burglar skip ? It's all about peace of mind too.. I can't imagine what it would be like to be burgled, but I could imagine that I'd be wanting to spend whatever it takes to feel safe again....

Don't trust alarm systems to be honest... But i live on a busy street and my house don't really stand out... And I don't drive a fancy car.. i guess he just took advantage when my house was flooded... Still very glad he broke in while we weren't in though..

Had he actually stole something worthwhile I wouldn't be that pissed off... At least I hope my new alarm system will keep the stupid out....

Good news everyone...

Alarm system installed.. And got a phone call from the Police telling me the stupid idiot who wasted weeks of my time and left me worse off has been caught and will be charged.

Could you send me a PM on whom you used?

• 2 weeks later...

hi treblid

can you send me a pm on who you used.....

PM Sent...

what made you choose the company you picked ?

Coz I wasted their time the most I guess. :)

i've got a lot of neighbours with camera's outside etc

i wonder how many houses have those ?

Cameras... Still don't like that idea... It'd prob attract too much attraction for my suburb.. (if everybody else have a camera then it'd be fine)...

That said, now that I no longer have floating floors, I'm looking to set up a tank (prob stock with breams).. and fit a web camera so I can have some kicks while I'm at work.. :P Still in the planning stage atm coz my house is really small and half of the living space will be taken up by HT...

hi treblid

how big a tank do you want to get ?

there are normally a lot of 2nd hand tanks around for sale at a good price.

bream are maybe a bit boring to look at, good for a pond as they can grow up to be eaten. :P

we have goldfish and koi outside, plus one tandanus catfish

larry

Edited by larry

hi treblid

bream are maybe a bit boring to look at, good for a pond as they can grow up to be eaten.

larry

Bitey?

These guys were recommended by our building consultant

R – U – Safe 1300 139 386

hi treblid

no ideas yet.. two choices, a small one by the side (1m wide), or a bigger one (approx 2-2.5m wide) to act as a room divider (HT and living area)... Still deciding/researching.. I like the idea of a bigger tank but have to consider carefully coz my TV's screen is very reflective.. :(

Quokka & gumtree? or papers? I love 2nd hand stuffs..

bream are maybe a bit boring to look at, good for a pond as they can grow up to be eaten.

Not if I put a hook in.. :lol: I know a shop sells 'em, but can't remember where now. Prob not an issue as i can prob catch 'em..

Bream is just a notion right now.. Coz I have no expertise in keeping marine fish... And kept tropical fish before and wanna try something different. Whatever fish I choose will need to live in a tank with drifwood and plants.. breams sounds interesting in that environment in theory.. :P but no ideas if it'd survive in practice :D

larry

Kept in the same pond? Coexist well? Should give me some tips some day, I have a small pond and it's not doing very well lately.. :( No ideas how to beatify that area.. That's another project i've yet to tackle..

Bitey?

These guys were recommended by our building consultant

R – U – Safe 1300 139 386

Any idea what control panel they're using?

IIRC you have cats? I wonder if pet immume sensors work well with cats (as they can climb up and trip the sensor).

R - U - Safe and U - R - Safe are probably too different companies?

IIRC you have cats? I wonder if pet immume sensors work well with cats (as they can climb up and trip the sensor).

No sorry.

Ring the 1300 number, ask, and let me know.

What is the best??

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/busSearch.do

R-U Safe Security

U2/ 119 Mulgul Road

Malaga WA 6090

No sorry.

Ring the 1300 number, ask, and let me know.

Ah.. i remembered that co has a website that wasn't really working... But I called them up before but I forgot the system they recommend.

What is the best??

No idea at all really.. The installer I used even tell me he can defeat most systems.. :P

So far no false alarms, but then i'm home now most of the time anyway... And no idea if this will deter any theives, but at least I have raised the contents to the amount I want (needs to be monitored to do so) so I can't wait for another day breakin again (this time hopefully he's smarter)...

Ah.. i remembered that co has a website that wasn't really working... But I called them up before but I forgot the system they recommend.

No idea at all really.. The installer I used even tell me he can defeat most systems.. :P

So far no false alarms, but then i'm home now most of the time anyway... And no idea if this will deter any theives, but at least I have raised the contents to the amount I want (needs to be monitored to do so) so I can't wait for another day breakin again (this time hopefully he's smarter)...

For future reference.....I've used ADT without any problems....a few power spikes here and there, but they were under warranty