Sign in to follow this  
fsjk85

Iq2 Hard Drive Upgrade

oh yeh, the 1tb's are about 275$

still I wonder which is quieter, the 2.5" or the AV series from WD

also the 2.5" appear to be 5400rpm not 7200, I wonder if this matters for the iq2

Edited by skinner.

oh yeh, the 1tb's are about 275$

also the 2.5" appear to be 5400rpm not 7200, I wonder if this matters for the iq2

I would imagine not. 99% of the time the box is either performing streaming writes or streaming reads (or both). I don't think the rotational speed (and hence random seek time) would be an issue.

The AV drives are designed to be used in Home Theatre Computers so the drives are designed to make as little noise as possible

They are supposed to be inaudible by a person with normal hearing

Can anyone confirm the torx screwdriver required to open the back of the IQ2? I have removed one screw with pliers and the screw has hex torq pattern but has a raised dot in the middle which normal hex torq screwdrivers I have can't fit. Other screws on the back of the iq2 are normal torq screws, just not the ones that allow you to open the unit.

thanks

Can anyone confirm the torx screwdriver required to open the back of the IQ2? I have removed one screw with pliers and the screw has hex torq pattern but has a raised dot in the middle which normal hex torq screwdrivers I have can't fit. Other screws on the back of the iq2 are normal torq screws, just not the ones that allow you to open the unit.

thanks

you need the security one with the hole in the middle

you need the security one with the hole in the middle

Considering how small the pin is i would think it will snap off fairly easily.

The AV drives are designed to be used in Home Theatre Computers so the drives are designed to make as little noise as possible

They are supposed to be inaudible by a person with normal hearing

I like the sound of that, msy have the 1tb for 140$~

thanks

I have Stanley security torx set purchased from Bunnings and the driver for the IQ2 screws is a T8H. They are "torx security" screwdrivers not the normal torx.

Edited by DrKildare

Can someone confirm approx. what does a 2 hr HD movie takes up in Mb or %

cheers laurie

Can someone confirm approx. what does a 2 hr HD movie takes up in Mb or %

cheers laurie

I don't know whether it will help much but a 1 hour episode of Hotel Babylon (BBC HD) requires 4%.

From reading other forums, the IQ2 hard disk is divided 50/50. Half of the drive's space is allocated to "pay per view" etc, so effectively you only have 160Gb to record to. Installing a bigger drive gives you much more space than you might think. If you install a 1TB drive only 160Gb is allocated for "pay per view", so 840Gb is now available (slightly less actually). This is five times the original space. 30 hours of HD becomes 150 hours and 90 hours of SD becomes nearly 500.

I have Stanley security torx set purchased from Bunnings and the driver for the IQ2 screws is a T8H. They are "torx security" screwdrivers not the normal torx.

Thanks. Picked these up and they fit the all is good.

For those that want to get the kit it is called Stanley 31 Piece Tamperproof Bit. $26.