Sign in to follow this  
fsjk85

Iq2 Hard Drive Upgrade

man i would so love to put a 1tb in my IQ2 , just scared i will fudge something up

but i gotta try lol

what screw driver do you need ?

torx size is small like t3 or t4 good hardware store will have a set

This tool looks great, Has anyone else tried this?, or is it just one user

Has anyone tried +Extract, this looks like what we all need.

Also can anyone please details the removeal of the hard drive better

Thanks

from the +Extract web page, right at the top in fact:

``

+Extract is freeware that rips FTA recordings from a Sky+ hard disk.

''

I fail to see how this is of any real use to anyone in Aus, considering there's only a handful of unencrypted channels and I expect the demand for ripping them is almost zero.

Anyone successfully tried a 1.5TB drive in the IQ2?

That shouldn't be an issue.

If the IQ2 was going to have a problem then it would be for drives over about 300 gig

Sure, first step is to buy a hard drive i dont think the IQ2 can handle higher than 1TB and it should be more than enough,

id reccomend the WD AV drives here

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=617

since they're designed to be run 24/7, can pick one up at MSY on the cheap

You'll need to get security torx screws (forgot size) to open up the iq2, you can also take care of the warranty stick with a hairdryer if you want.

i forgot the details on getting the hard drive out, but it pretty much involved in removing almost everything around it first.

next install copy+ and connect both hard drives to your computer, either internally or using a SATA to USB adaptor.

start up copy+ and it should detect both drives, select the source and destination appropriately and hit copy.

if it asks about conversion, you dont need that.

few hours later, it will take hours, pop the new drive in, close the iq2 up and force a firmware update for kicks.

thats it, enjoy.

i'd also reccomend having the phone cord disconnected unless you're making a purchase, just as a precaution.

be sure to keep the old drive, incase you cancel your foxtel or whatever.

i might make a better guide later on with pictures if i have time to open it up again :P

any questions, just ask.

My understanding is the standard IQ2 hard drives are partitioned 50/50, how does copy+ handle partitioning?

Cheers

Gary

Edited by GaryCook

I've done a little research at various AV forums in the UK and the consensus is that a 1TB drive is the maximum size these boxes can use.

theres not realy a partition both sides have there limit for useage on demand and planner

So when I install the 1TB hard drive how does it know to limit the size of on demand but not limit the size of planner?

Cheers

Gary

So when I install the 1TB hard drive how does it know to limit the size of on demand but not limit the size of planner?

I am not sure how it works however I would guess that part of the firmware tells it how much space to set aside for on demand content (in gigabytes) and what is left over is used for user made recordings.

I had a go at this last night on my IQ2. I had a spare "Western Digital Green" 750Gb drive after a recent upgrade to my HTPC.

Use a T8H torx driver to remove the 5 rear screws and then lift away the cover.

Inside is quite sparse and there's plenty of room to work in. Use the T8H driver again to remove the two drive caddy retaining screws, disconnect the SATA and power cables then remove the caddy. For those who might be interested there are some pics here. I have shown which screws retain the drive caddy in one of the pics.

Remove the drive from the caddy with a Philips head driver.

Use the Copy+ software (make sure it's the 1.2.0.4 beta version) as per instructions at Copy+ site here.

I tried the two USB adaptors method but it looked like it was going to take several hours to do the job, so I tried it using the internal SATA connections on the motherboard. It only took about 25 minutes.

Swap drives, put the IQ2 back together and enjoy.

Big thanks to fsjk85 for the heads up. I didn't even think this was possible.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR arriving early next week and will try post a mini-review on it later.

Edited by DrKildare

so you copy the drive image with this software on to the 1 tb drive and then keep the 320 gb drive in a safe place to put back in to the box if you have to . then when the time comes and you need to return iq2 delete the shows copy the large drive back to the little drive. and install back in the iq2 like nothing ever happend can someone confrim this.

so you copy the drive image with this software on to the 1 tb drive and then keep the 320 gb drive in a safe place to put back in to the box if you have to . then when the time comes and you need to return iq2 delete the shows copy the large drive back to the little drive. and install back in the iq2 like nothing ever happend can someone confrim this.

Except you will have removed the "Warranty void" sticker.

I have no idea if it will make much of a difference though

i can't bring myself to do it , too worried something will go wrong and i will be without my foxtel for 2 weeks waiting for a tech to come out

more power to you guys who have the guts though :)

Except you will have removed the "Warranty void" sticker.

If the box stuffed up and someone came around to fix it they wouldn't be looking for a warranty sticker. They would just see the box wasn't working and swap it for a new one. When it was being refurbished they might notice it missing but then its to late there is no chain of custody so they couldn't make you pay. Unless there was proof that it was you that tampered with it they couldn't do anything to you.

You guys made this sound very easy so we "upgraded" ours to a 1TB drive last night. Seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks very much to the OP for the information.