Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi,

Looked at that, but preferred the cable exiting the back of the IQ2 box, the eSATA connector is on the front where the FOXTEL card is inserted.

The eSATA cable connector won't go through the USB hole at the back and didn't want to enlarge incase I need a service call.

Cheerz :):D;)

you could just use the existing eSATA connector by plugging it into the first SATA interface on the mainboard, and plugging your external drive into that... might be a bit cleaner. :)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Looked at that, but preferred the cable exiting the back of the IQ2 box, the eSATA connector is on the front where the FOXTEL card is inserted.

The eSATA cable connector won't go through the USB hole at the back and didn't want to enlarge incase I need a service call.

hmm, different box maybe? on my box there is USB on the front and eSATA on the rear. learn something new every day :)

I was one of the lucky ones who installed a 1TB, had the firmware update and my IQ2 hadn't frozen yet.

I decided to take the risk and have it fail on my own terms rather than have it fail at an inconvenient time. So I took the risk, rebooted, and what do you know, mine's now frozen on "Searching for Listings" as well...

At least I now have time to reassemble the old drive before I want to record anything more.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see if anyone else manages a fix of some sort!

Edit: I just performed a firmware update, and despite no firmware changing at all, it now works again... Odd. For the record, my details both before and after trying this were as follows:-

firmware 96.2.7.1.11.26, OS C022P27 EPG U_1.6.18

Edited by ozasis

Hi,

My firmware/software versions are the same as yours?

What % FREE do you have in PLANNER?

It's probably not a bad idea for IQ2 users to post the % FREE they have in PLANNER so we can try and ascertain if file storage capacity has a bearing on 1TB drives and the new firmware/software?

I was one of the lucky ones who installed a 1TB, had the firmware update and my IQ2 hadn't frozen yet.

I decided to take the risk and have it fail on my own terms rather than have it fail at an inconvenient time. So I took the risk, rebooted, and what do you know, mine's now frozen on "Searching for Listings" as well...

At least I now have time to reassemble the old drive before I want to record anything more.

I'll be watching this thread closely to see if anyone else manages a fix of some sort!

Edit: I just performed a firmware update, and despite no firmware changing at all, it now works again... Odd. For the record, my details both before and after trying this were as follows:-

Edited by daMANiack

Hi,

After my IQ2 was updated and froze with Searching for Listing message, I performed at least 3 forced firmware/software updates, all were successful, but on the IQ2 box rebooting, it froze every time, even tried turning box off overnight.

I have two iQ2 boxes with 1TB drives and have had the Searching for listings problem since I forced the firmware upgrade a couple of weeks ago. Both boxes work without any problems when I put the original 320GB drives back in. I have another 1TB drive which I tried to use but couldn't get the box to format it as I can't get in to System Settings to force the System Reset.

I bought a Seagate 320GB drive this week so I can experiment as I don't want to erase the working drives and when I put it into the iQ2 today it wouldn't recognise it or allow a format. I then used Copy+ to copy a few programs off the working 320GB drive onto the new drive but the iQ2 still wouldn't recognise the new drive - I get the Searching for Listings message.

I don't remember the % free on the original 1TB drives when I did the firmware upgrade but there was probably only between 10 and 20% free on each of them. However I only copied 5 programs onto the new 320GB drive I tried today so it would have had a high percentage free.

I'm not sure what to try next. Does anyone know of a sequence of buttons to press on the front panel to force a HDD format? The Power-Up-Down-Power works to install the latest firmware again but doesn't reformat the drive as well.

Edited by Koz

I've had this problem too. My drive had over 60% free when the firmware upgrade killed the IQ2. I put the old drive back in and all is well. I'm not too concerned because I've been using a Hauppauge HD PVR for copying stuff I wanted to keep over to my HTPC.

I would interested if anyone finds a solution to this and I also wonder if this happened as a byproduct of the firmware upgrade or if it was intentional.

Hi,

I suspect if Foxtel intentionally altered the latest firmare so the IQ2 wouldn't boot if it detected a different drive, I and others wouldn't beable to work around and get our 1TB HD back into it and working.

Maybe the latest firmware is performing a ChkDsk or similar at IQ2 startup, I know Copy+ detected 3 directory/file errors on my 1TB when copying files to a newer 1TB WD non-AV drive.

I've had this problem too. My drive had over 60% free when the firmware upgrade killed the IQ2. I put the old drive back in and all is well. I'm not too concerned because I've been using a Hauppauge HD PVR for copying stuff I wanted to keep over to my HTPC.

I would interested if anyone finds a solution to this and I also wonder if this happened as a byproduct of the firmware upgrade or if it was intentional.

Hi,

As long as you inserted the new 320Gb hard drive that hadn't been partitioned or formated into PC so Copy+ was able to detect, you did the correct thing by copying over limited files.

From experience, this is what I did to copy files from my 1TB WD AV gard drive that wasn't allowing IQ2 to startup to a new 1TB and it worked and is still working.

I've generally found that hard drives copied using Copy+ can make the IQ2 box a little unstable with a few freezes on the first day or two, IQ2 seems OK but you can't change channels or bring up GUIDE. It seems to rectify itself once you've recorded a few shows and deleted some, maybe it rebuilds the FAT as the files are probably located in a different position on the new drive compared to previous.

I don't remember the % free on the original 1TB drives when I did the firmware upgrade but there was probably only between 10 and 20% free on each of them.

However I only copied 5 programs onto the new 320GB drive I tried today so it would have had a high percentage free.

Wednesday 27 October 03:46

Today we are releasing version 1.2.0.8 of Copy+ which has been designed to partially address the overwriting issue highlighted above.

Please note that this version of Copy+ is NOT able to copy disks from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin. This requires major changes which we are also currently working on. Unfortunately we are unable to give any time scales for when this might be ready.

However, this release addresses an issues with regard to copying from pre-Darwin boxes to disks over 1TB (i.e. 1.5TB or 2.0TB) such that they are ready for Darwin.

Which Copy+ 1.2.0.8 you can now safely:

a) Copy from a pre-Darwin system to the supplied 1.5TB disk for use in either a pre-Darwin or Darwin upgraded box. When the Sky Darwin software is eventually downloaded to your box your recordings will NOT suffer the overwriting issue previously experienced by Copy+ users who used the 1.2.0.6 or 1.2.0.7 releases to perform their upgrade.

B) Copy from a pre-Darwin system to a 2.0TB disk for use in a Darwin upgraded box. Please note that non-standard size disks over 1TB (i.e. 2.0TB) will NOT be compatible unless your destination box has already received the Darwin update. If you use the disk on a pre-Darwin system you will have the same overwriting issue as described above. This is because there is no way to make a non-standard disk over 1TB both forward and backward compatible with both Sky software releases. As a result we have chosen to make Copy+ forward compatible with Darwin ONLY for these non-standard disks.

Please note:

1. This issue only effects disks over 1TB. For all disks under 1TB there is no overwriting issue with this, or any previous releases of Copy+.

2. Disks over 1TB are only compatible with Amstrad Sky+HD boxes to the best of our knowledge.

3. Copying of source disks from boxes upgraded to the Darwin software is not possible at present. Please wait for a future release of Copy+ which will support this.

Wednesday 27 October 03:46..........

Unfortunately I think none of this will help us at all, as per pcbbc's post on the sky+ forums in the foxtel iq2 frozen thread - http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/forum/viewtop...p?f=6&t=918

I've just put my old hdd back in, done a firmware upgrade, and now the box loads... :(

Edited by ozasis

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Please note that this version of Copy+ is NOT able to copy disks from boxes which have already been upgraded to Darwin. This requires major changes which we are also currently working on. Unfortunately we are unable to give any time scales for when this might be ready.

I just got Foxtel IQ2 installed yesterday. I am assuming I am running 'Darwin' as the tech did an update when he installed. How can I check?

Hardware Version TDC851NF.8.3

Software Version 96.2.7.1.11.28

O/S Version CO22P27

EPG Software Version U_1.6.18

I just got Foxtel IQ2 installed yesterday. I am assuming I am running 'Darwin' as the tech did an update when he installed. How can I check?

Seeing as noone could answer my question I took the plunge and bought a "Western Digital 1TB Green 64MB SATAII WD10EARS"

I ran the copy+ software and it worked perfectly. One recording was corrupt but everything else worked and it's up and running with 3 times the space :)

So it appears the 'Darwin Update' whatever it is has not been released in Australia yet. So for people who are worried about upgrading you might as well give it a shot.

Edited by phoenixdigital

Hi Folks,

Along with many others, my IQ2 with a 1TB HD stopped booting after a firmware upgrade. I replaced the original Foxtel HD and have been juggling disk space for the last few weeks :winky:

After reading some people are still operating with their 1TB HD, I re imaged my 1TB drive from the original Foxtel HD, using the latest copy+, and the IQ2 is now again working on the upgraded 1TB drive.

2c on my experience for others juggling disk space.

Cheers.

Hi Folks,

Along with many others, my IQ2 with a 1TB HD stopped booting after a firmware upgrade. I replaced the original Foxtel HD and have been juggling disk space for the last few weeks :winky:

After reading some people are still operating with their 1TB HD, I re imaged my 1TB drive from the original Foxtel HD, using the latest copy+, and the IQ2 is now again working on the upgraded 1TB drive.

2c on my experience for others juggling disk space.

Cheers.

I've just tried the same thing xtralard, using the latest version of Copy+ and copying from the original 320Gb HDD that I've been using again since the update stopped the 1TB drive working and onto another 1TB drive, but unfortunately it hasn't worked - I just get the "Searching for listings..." screen. I'll be interested in hearing if it works for others who had their 1TB drives stop working.