Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can't bring myself to do it , too worried something will go wrong and i will be without my foxtel for 2 weeks waiting for a tech to come out

more power to you guys who have the guts though :)

The trickiest part is identifying which is the Target and which is the Source :D pity Foxtel doesn't activate the USB connector under the flap for people like yourself to attach a external drive :(

cheers laurie

Tried to stick in a USB drive only to find Foxtel designed it to accepts a longer connector as a standard one will not even mate up well done Foxtel we are again forced to buy your one :unsure:

cheers laurie

ps found a connector nothing happen must be disabled :(

Tried to stick in a USB drive only to find Foxtel designed it to accepts a longer connector as a standard one will not even mate up well done Foxtel we are again forced to buy your one :unsure:

There are plenty of PC cases i have found where the front USB ports are useless for wide memory sticks like yours

The USB port does work well at charging my phone, no need to plug in the 240v charger every time i need to charge my phone.

The trickiest part is identifying which is the Target and which is the Source :D pity Foxtel doesn't activate the USB connector under the flap for people like yourself to attach a external drive :(

cheers laurie

from the photo it looks like you could just swap the SATA connections so that the eSATA connection is active and then put your new drive in an eSATA enclosure.

no need to remove the original drive, just unplug the power and you're set. when you need to return the box just swap the connectors back, plug in the disk power and you're good to go.

I had a go at this last night on my IQ2. I had a spare "Western Digital Green" 750Gb drive after a recent upgrade to my HTPC.

Use a T8H torx driver to remove the 5 rear screws and then lift away the cover.

Inside is quite sparse and there's plenty of room to work in. Use the T8H driver again to remove the two drive caddy retaining screws, disconnect the SATA and power cables then remove the caddy. For those who might be interested there are some pics here. I have shown which screws retain the drive caddy in one of the pics.

Remove the drive from the caddy with a Philips head driver.

Use the Copy+ software (make sure it's the 1.2.0.4 beta version) as per instructions at Copy+ site here.

I tried the two USB adaptors method but it looked like it was going to take several hours to do the job, so I tried it using the internal SATA connections on the motherboard. It only took about 25 minutes.

Swap drives, put the IQ2 back together and enjoy.

Big thanks to fsjk85 for the heads up. I didn't even think this was possible.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR arriving early next week and will try post a mini-review on it later.

Any chance you can post the images again? The link has gone dead. thanks

from the photo it looks like you could just swap the SATA connections so that the eSATA connection is active and then put your new drive in an eSATA enclosure.

no need to remove the original drive, just unplug the power and you're set. when you need to return the box just swap the connectors back, plug in the disk power and you're good to go.

You need to run Copy+ on each HDD.

So you need to remove the IQ2 drive and connect it to your PC

If you are removing the drive there is no point putting your new drive in an external enclosure

Plus removing the drive is minimal effort, i would rather spend the extra 2 minutes swapping srives than having a permanent HDD sitting next to the IQ2 where you can see the cables running from the eSATA port, plus the external drive would need a power supply which is wasting power when the IQ2 is already converting the power for the internal HDD.

You need to run Copy+ on each HDD.

So you need to remove the IQ2 drive and connect it to your PC

If you are removing the drive there is no point putting your new drive in an external enclosure

Plus removing the drive is minimal effort, i would rather spend the extra 2 minutes swapping srives than having a permanent HDD sitting next to the IQ2 where you can see the cables running from the eSATA port, plus the external drive would need a power supply which is wasting power when the IQ2 is already converting the power for the internal HDD.

well, you don't have to go through all that, you can simply connect the original disk via eSATA to run copy+ and then swap the cable to connect up your target disk to the IQ.

matter of personal preference, really.

this method does let you use a 2.5" lower power/noise/heat disk with minimal fuss.

oh yeh, the 1tb's are about 275$

still I wonder which is quieter, the 2.5" or the AV series from WD

also the 2.5" appear to be 5400rpm not 7200, I wonder if this matters for the iq2

I would imagine not. 99% of the time the box is either performing streaming writes or streaming reads (or both). I don't think the rotational speed (and hence random seek time) would be an issue.

still I wonder which is quieter, the 2.5" or the AV series from WD

The AV drives are designed to be used in Home Theatre Computers so the drives are designed to make as little noise as possible

They are supposed to be inaudible by a person with normal hearing

Can anyone confirm the torx screwdriver required to open the back of the IQ2? I have removed one screw with pliers and the screw has hex torq pattern but has a raised dot in the middle which normal hex torq screwdrivers I have can't fit. Other screws on the back of the iq2 are normal torq screws, just not the ones that allow you to open the unit.

thanks

Can anyone confirm the torx screwdriver required to open the back of the IQ2? I have removed one screw with pliers and the screw has hex torq pattern but has a raised dot in the middle which normal hex torq screwdrivers I have can't fit. Other screws on the back of the iq2 are normal torq screws, just not the ones that allow you to open the unit.

thanks

you need the security one with the hole in the middle

Hey,

I'm thinking of upgrading to a IQ1 box.

Do I have to use my netline/phoneline to have it? We don't have the Full package and I won't ordering the movies and I won't vote.

Thanks.

No, I don't have the phoneline connected up and I can use it fine, (well except I don't get sports active, but plugging in a phone line doesn't help for that). If you do ever feel the need to order movies ect, it's all online anyways.