Sign in to follow this  
fsjk85

Iq2 Hard Drive Upgrade

I think this would be great.Foxtel should look at being able to expand the hard drive like the tivo can do.They can now use a 1 tb drive with tivo foxtel should do the same.HD programming uses up a lot of memory.

if anyones interested, the new version of copy+, used to upgrade the hard drives of sky PVR's (UK) retaining already recorded shows now supports foxtel iq2

http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/

I went through the site but could find no mention of Foxtel IQ2!

I went through the site but could find no mention of Foxtel IQ2!

From the Release History page:

Preliminary support for MySky HD NZ (Thanks to Karl) and Foxtel IQ2 Australia (Thanks to Fred).

That is for the latest Beta version.

Edited by acassimaty

if anyones wondering, it does work, currently have a 1TB hard drive in it. have around 300 shows recorded, only takes up around 50%, beats deleting shows for new ones :P

From the Release History page:

That is for the latest Beta version.

Many thanks. Off to change my glasses :D

if anyones wondering, it does work, currently have a 1TB hard drive in it. have around 300 shows recorded, only takes up around 50%, beats deleting shows for new ones :P

can you please tell me how you do it ? i have an IQ2 and always run out of room , would love to stick a 1tb in there

please help buddy :)

can you please tell me how you do it ? i have an IQ2 and always run out of room , would love to stick a 1tb in there

please help buddy :)

Sure, first step is to buy a hard drive i dont think the IQ2 can handle higher than 1TB and it should be more than enough,

id reccomend the WD AV drives here

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=617

since they're designed to be run 24/7, can pick one up at MSY on the cheap

You'll need to get security torx screws (forgot size) to open up the iq2, you can also take care of the warranty stick with a hairdryer if you want.

i forgot the details on getting the hard drive out, but it pretty much involved in removing almost everything around it first.

next install copy+ and connect both hard drives to your computer, either internally or using a SATA to USB adaptor.

start up copy+ and it should detect both drives, select the source and destination appropriately and hit copy.

if it asks about conversion, you dont need that.

few hours later, it will take hours, pop the new drive in, close the iq2 up and force a firmware update for kicks.

thats it, enjoy.

i'd also reccomend having the phone cord disconnected unless you're making a purchase, just as a precaution.

be sure to keep the old drive, incase you cancel your foxtel or whatever.

i might make a better guide later on with pictures if i have time to open it up again :P

any questions, just ask.

Sure, first step is to buy a hard drive i dont think the IQ2 can handle higher than 1TB and it should be more than enough,

id reccomend the WD AV drives here

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=617

since they're designed to be run 24/7, can pick one up at MSY on the cheap

All HDD's are built to be run 24*7

The MTBF (Mean time between failure) on the AV drives is 1 million hours, which is over 100 years.

A normal desktop drive is no different in respect to MTBF.

The advantage and selling point of the AV drives is the reduced noise compared to a desktop drive

If you wanted a step up you would buy a server grade HDD, which will have a MTBF of around 1.4 million hours and also some other things not found on desktop grade drives however even with the extra 400,000 hours of live you should be dead before the drive fails.

Once powered on there is very little work a HDD needs to do it is the turning on and off which can have the greatest impact on a drive.

You'll need to get security torx screws (forgot size) to open up the iq2, you can also take care of the warranty stick with a hairdryer if you want.

I have a T8 torx with me which is too small, i would be looking at a T9 or T10 size.

I guess you mean heat the sticker and it peels off easier?

If you do tear the sticker you can always remove it and any glue residue. If you encounter any problems you can always deny removing it and i doubt foxtel can prove that there definitely was a sticker at one point.

It could have also torn when a cable came out and scratched across the back of the unit as you were moving it

Edited by loony

This tool looks great, Has anyone else tried this?, or is it just one user

Has anyone tried +Extract, this looks like what we all need.

Also can anyone please details the removeal of the hard drive better

Thanks

What file format is the recorded shows in?

Can i just remove the HDD and take the files off?

You can but viewing them will be difficult as they are encrypted

cheers laurie

next install copy+ and connect both hard drives to your computer, either internally or using a SATA to USB adaptor.

start up copy+

can you please show which adaptor to use?

cheers laurie

how hard is it to store back to factory when they want the iq2 back? even 500g drive would be a good increase

man i would so love to put a 1tb in my IQ2 , just scared i will fudge something up

but i gotta try lol

what screw driver do you need ?