Un-official Dtv Movie Weekend

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Since a few people have shown an interest in an un-official movie weekend thread on this movie, here it is.....

I'll make some comments on the movie when I watch them.

Please disregard my original reply. Chardonnay time :lol: Have been meaning to watch these two since purchasing in June. Must commit :o

Edited by 709er

We listened to the LPCM track on the assumption it should be best - no complaints, but it has me wondering what the point of the DTSHDMA and DolbyTrue is?

I listened to the DTS-HD MA track. No idea if it was the best, but sounded good to me :)

• Volunteer
I listened to the DTS-HD MA track. No idea if it was the best, but sounded good to me :)

I've listened to all three tracks on the disc and found I prefer the DTS-HDMA track over the other two, that's not to say that it's the best but it's the one I prefer.

I've listened to all three tracks on the disc and found I prefer the DTS-HDMA track over the other two, that's not to say that it's the best but it's the one I prefer.

I have to admit I too slightly prefered the dts HD ma. It seemed to have just a tad more presence. But all three tracks are amongst the best on blu-ray.

Completelty unscientific, but I based my decision on switching audio tracks while I was listening to the title music playing over the main menu. DTS HD MA sound the "best", so I went with that one :)

Completelty unscientific, but I based my decision on switching audio tracks while I was listening to the title music playing over the main menu. DTS HD MA sound the "best", so I went with that one :)

Off to watch now and must say I am confused re sound comments.

Will research next week as an aside as always interested to know how things work; especially as I had always understood that DTS-HD MA and TrueHD were just compressed LPCM to save on disc space. Hence all three should be identical with LPCM being the uncompressed version on disc! :unsure:

Well unrelated / very related

Shine a Light as both DTS MA and Dolby True HD

and to my ears Dolby is better in this case / this disk / my system

Of course this is music so much easier to hear differences ( more important :o )

LPCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA should all sound the same but sometimes don't. Some setups seem to favor one over the other on some releases but not on others. I can only guess it has something to do with additional processing done on some mixes, but really it's just guess work. I have some releases where all the lossless tracks sound the same and others where there are clear differences. Go figure.

LPCM, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA should all sound the same but sometimes don't. Some setups seem to favor one over the other on some releases but not on others. I can only guess it has something to do with additional processing done on some mixes, but really it's just guess work. I have some releases where all the lossless tracks sound the same and others where there are clear differences. Go figure.

Must be as you say, depends on setup and where decoding done ...etc as should be the same. Also, as stated by Chopus, they may modify/enhance the audio or LFE when encoding to DTS-HD MA.

Personally I did not find any difference but only did a cursory listen in the music at the beginning as was done by all. I decode in the Oppo to LPCM so the AVR gets LPCM regardless which could have an impact.

Well, watched Part I and loved it. The 2.5 hours went by quick and there was no looking at the watch or such and did not take a break. Just sat there and enjoyed every minute! :D

Have to agree with reviewers that Audio and Video are reference or D@mm close to it. Listened in LPCM; and will choose DTS MA for Part II as there is consensus that it is a little fuller suggesting that Chopus is correct that they may have enhanced the LFE or such when encoding to DTS MA! :unsure:

Cinematography was excellent as was the feel of the audio in all action scenes. Both deserve 4.5 to 5 stars in my IMHO. Would also give movie 4.5 stars so we are talking somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 stars out of 15 (audio, video and movie). :wub:

Definitely one you want in your collection. Wanted to put part 2 on immediately; but common sense prevailed (wasn't easy) and will watch tonight. Really looking forward to it!!

Can't believe on such a glorious weekend you nerds are wasting time watching over 5 hrs of subtitles

Why not just sit outside in the sun and read a book?

Nerds.

Nice.

And for your information, sun goes down around 6pm, movie time for me starts around 8:30 once the kids are asleep.